PDA

View Full Version : Other Games How long does this take?

Direckshun
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
We have to rebuild the Oline, manufacture a passrush somehow, get better receivers, and lock down a nose tackle.

All the while being able to retain capable running backs, special teams, and probably picking up about a half dozen coaches to improve on what we've got.

How long does this all take? It feels like it won't be until Pioli's sixth year that this team really has a chance.

Are we in the Lost Decade of Chiefs football?

Is that how bad Carl Peterson was?

DaWolf
09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Pioli has said in the past it takes about three to four years to really get your foundation down for building a championship team, so I'd suspect three years, with the expectation that this team will steadily show improvement each year.

In New England, year 1 was 5-11. He points out that while they went on to win it all in year 2 (10-6), the feeling in the building was that that team really wasn't ready from a personnel standpoint to be a perennial champion, but they had some things go right for them in the playoffs and wound up winning it all. Year three the slipped back to 9-7. Year four, that's when they felt that they were really starting to get rolling.

Of course they're going to really have to hit on their draft picks the next few years and supplement that with good FA's for it to work, Carl's downfall...

DaKCMan AP
09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
FOR-EV-ER

http://reeltoreel.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/the-sandlot.jpg

keg in kc
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm going to say three years. I think they compete for a playoff spot in 2010 and become a legitimate contender in 2011. Assuming the guys in charge know what they're doing.

And we're already past a lost decade. I arrived in KC in 1999. The record of the team in my time as a fan? 75-85. They've had a grand total of two playoff appearances, one after a fluke 13-3 season and the other as a 9-7 team. Four head coaches in my time and we're now into our third rebuild in less than ten years.

The Carl Peterson legacy, that.

L.A. Chieffan
09-04-2009, 11:19 AM
rebuilding, get over it.

MahiMike
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
We're ready when Pioli SAYS we're ready!

salame
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM
see there is a real chance they will never contend

PunkinDrublic
09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I think with a good draft next year, the ability to find the right FAs and getting players to buy into the system we could possibly compete for a playoff spot. It's hard to be patient after the last two coaching regimes bad drafts and too many FA busts. As bad as the team is now there are a lot of franchises that would love to have Pioli as their GM.

RedThat
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't think there is any real specific timeline on building a team.

It all depends. It could take 5 years? Could take 3?

Only time will tell. We'll see how pioli and co. do in regards to scouting and evaluating players. If things go right their way, they could build a team in 2-3 years imo. but, I think they really have to draft well in finding the right set of guys that fit their system. i think draft is key, finding good players in FA, making good trades. It'll all boil down to how well these guys can do the job. the lesser mistakes they make in regards to their transactions the quicker and faster this team will be built. But if they draft poorly, and their top picks are busts as we witnessed during the Peterson era, that just sets your team back.

Lets hope that doesn't happen again. Because its too painful to watch.

Pestilence
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
With how devoid of talent this team is.....it's going to take AT LEAST 3 years before we're solidly built to win a championship.

EDIT: But I do expect to see improvement every year from here on out. We're going to suck something fierce this year (4-12) but next year we should be up in the 7-8 win range and then the year after that I can see a little bit better at 9-10 wins and the playoffs.

nychief
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I think this year is going to be the bloodletting, the really painful to watch season. But I expect the team to improve throughout - marginally. Then I think we should expect Pioli to acquire the talent to improve... I think year three is the goal.

Calcountry
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
rebuilding, get over it.You guys be sure and tell me when this shit is over with so I can plunk the coin down for Sunday ticket again. I think I will pass for another season.

You guys be sure and keep me informed on how well the oline is doing too. I love to sweat the development of the oline.

wild1
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Longer.

Chiefnj2
09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
With a very early 1st, early 2nd and late 2nd round pick you should be able to get your pass rusher, NT and a RT. 2nd day pick for your OG. Free agency for the Center and WR upgrade. 9-7 in the AFC west next year.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I see a 3 year process as well, but see a window of 2-5. Yes I know, 2 years is likely a pipe-dream, but I think our Defense will be much improved starting this season. So minus the necessary additions at LB and NT, defensively I see us being on the up-and-up soon. This forum was buried in posts about how bad the D was last season, and I would agree, I was there with everyone. But Jackson is for real, and I think collectively, the lone flickering flame this preseason has been our D.

Offense is another problem altogether.

Offensively, we need a LG, C, RG, RT, and after all that, WRs. That's a problem considering everything starts up front, and we have one....count him....one offensive lineman we can see being a part of things moving forward, and he's a second-year guy. We're in trouble here, but this is where Pioli makes his money. We really need him to hit a couple out of the park for us in this coming calendar year to shore up that OLine.

All things considered. 3.2 years.

salame
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
the way i see it
we need two linebackers
a guard a tackle a center
a nose tackle
a running back
that could take some time

MOhillbilly
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
To have a championship caliber team depending on what parts of the puzzle work out now, id give it 5-6 years. For all the bitching and moaning i feel awhole hell of alot better with the coaching staff and front office in place now that i ever have.
I want a winning football team, but its all about the Lombardi
period

Skip Towne
09-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I said when Marty left we were in for 20 years of shit. We are entering year 11.

the Talking Can
09-04-2009, 12:53 PM
a couple of years just to acquire talent and depth....plus some luck along the way

it is hard to over state how full of shit this roster and franchise were when herm left

salame
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
a couple of years just to acquire talent and depth....plus some luck along the way

it is hard to over state how full of shit this roster and franchise were when herm left

they're young give em time!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/12/herm.jpg

the Talking Can
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
For all the bitching and moaning i feel awhole hell of alot better with the coaching staff and front office in place now that i ever have.
I want a winning football team, but its all about the Lombardi
period

cosign

the Talking Can
09-04-2009, 12:56 PM
they're young give em time!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/12/herm.jpg

ROFL

"WE'RE 85% THERE! PANCAKES!"