PDA

View Full Version : Football Blount should punch himself

Fairplay
09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Sucker punch could sink out-of-shape Blount

Oregon RB LeGarrette Blount began the season carrying some character baggage thanks to a suspension last season for failing to live up to team obligations and the fact he came into spring practice overweight and out of shape, and his sucker punch of Boise State LB Byron Hout on Thursday night took those minor concerns and made them massive.
We talked last night to a college scouting director from an NFL team who said, "In the matter of five minutes, Blount just went from second- or third-rounder to completely undraftable." Yes, he was egged on a bit by Hout, but big-name players deal with that kind of trash talk all the time without throwing punches in return.
On Friday, Oregon announced that Blount has been suspended for the remainder of the season. The suspension includes any bowl games; coach Chip Kelly said Blount will remain on scholarship.
Reportedly, Blount was a no show for classes and at several team meetings before he was suspended. Then, add the fact he didn't take it upon himself to make sure he remained in shape during the time off and it sent up a red flag about his character and maturity. It isn't all about what the player does on the field. Teams are watching his every move off the field as well. They will be a little more leery about a prospect who doesn't shows the signs of being mature enough to handle the responsibilities that come with being a pro.
One of the hardest aspects of the NFL scouting process is predicting how a player will act when you start cutting him handsome paychecks. There is more to professional football than just what happens between the lines. It's a full time job. There are meetings after meetings. Players take film home and study extra on their own so they can succeed. Blount has shown little of the desired drive or will to succeed in the past. Now add in a sucker punch, followed by disregard for coaches and teammates trying to calm him down. It shows a lack of respect for his opponents, but more importantly, his own coaches and his program.
In an NFL climate in which commissioner Roger Goodell has placed a huge emphasis on behavior and accountability, teams are simply not willing to invest money in players who behave like this, unless you're talking about a Michael Vick or some other player with similarly freakish talents. Blount does not have that kind of skill set and has effectively cost himself a lot of money in the NFL.
We had given Blount a late-second or early third-round grade after his strong finish last season -- when he rushed for more than 1,000 yards while sharing carries -- with the hope he would come into this season, carry the full load and capitalize on that momentum. He entered the season as our second-ranked senior running back behind Clemson's C.J. Spiller but has done absolutely nothing to help himself. He is blowing what was a great opportunity to maximize his draft stock as a senior
And even if he hadn't lost his cool after the game, Blount's stock still would have taken a hit. Another scout we talked to said Blount appeared slow -- likely due to his weight gain and questionable work ethic -- and questioned his lateral mobility and ability to make people miss. He carried eight times for minus-5 yards, caught two passes for 13 yards and was not the same player we saw last season.
Who knows where Blount goes from here -- a long suspension is likely -- but he now has eight months to attempt to repair a severely damaged reputation in the eyes of NFL talent evaluators.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
He's the Bengals starting RB next year, they always take talent regardless of anything else.

BCD
09-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Dude has some issues. He'd never make it in the NFL.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Dude has some issues. He'd never make it in the NFL.

That team in Ohio...they'll take him, look at all the guys they take chances on because of talent.

BCD
09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
That team in Ohio...they'll take him, look at all the guys they take chances on because of talent.You just know he'd slug a coach during camp.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
You just know he'd slug a coach during camp.

They have a guy on their team right now that punched one of his college coaches.

KCUnited
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Cuz the dude is going to keep himself in shape in preparation for the 2010 draft. This guy is going to be robbing folks for cell phones in 3 months.

Fairplay
09-04-2009, 06:03 PM
If i was a college coach i would make all my players read this article.

Then make them watch the video of said dumbass punch the player a hundred times.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Cuz the dude is going to keep himself in shape in preparation for the 2010 draft. This guy is going to be robbing folks for cell phones in 3 months.

Considering his scholarship actually wasn't taken away...I doubt that.

Oddly his major..is political science.

Fairplay
09-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Thats not very odd.
There are a lot of politicians i would like to punch.:D

nstygma
09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
He should just get it over with and bite his own pinky off

KCUnited
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Considering his scholarship actually wasn't taken away...I doubt that.

lol, cuz poli sci majors duke it out in the classroom.

Not oddly, is the fact that his family was probably holding out for the NFL contract that was going to take their family to a different level, but dude pissed it away because he didn't have the self discipline to think about anything other than that moment.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
lol, cuz poli sci majors duke it out in the classroom.

Not oddly, is the fact that his family was probably holding out for the NFL contract that was going to take their family to a different level, but dude pissed it away because he didn't have the self discipline to think about anything other than that moment.

He'll still get a chance, he won't get any kind of big first contract but he'll go to NFL camp next year.

KCUnited
09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
He'll still get a chance, he won't get any kind of big first contract but he'll go to NFL camp next year.
I'm all about second chances, but if dude folds when being shit talked, the pressure of a family holding out for NFL big money will more than likely lead to worse decisions by this guy. That's just the reality of the expectations this dumbass just pissed away.

Saul Good
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM

No he won't. He's Maurice Clarett without the talent. He's going to finish his senior season with negative rushing yards.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Um he has more talent than Clarett did, if you think he won't get a chance all I will point you to is the Bengals.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 06:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPjKLI9u8i4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPjKLI9u8i4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He obviously has talent.

sedated
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
He's the Bengals starting RB next year, they always take talent regardless of anything else.

how dare you disagree with the lynch mob!!!111

everyone calling for his head today won't remember any of this at next year's combine.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
how dare you disagree with the lynch mob!!!111

everyone calling for his head today won't remember any of this at next year's combine.

Mike Mayock called him "mini Brandon Jacobs with more speed"

He will impress the hell out of someone with workouts dude is about 240 with good speed.

BCD
09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, theres always boxing or MMA...

Mecca
09-04-2009, 07:02 PM
If you don't think he will atleast get a chance that is pretty naive, hell Vick is back.

Fairplay
09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
He looks like a top 5 pick for sure. :huh:

Mecca
09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
No RB's are going top 5, way to embellish.

Fairplay
09-04-2009, 07:26 PM
No RB's are going top 5, way to embellish.

Just having fun Mecca.

kstater
09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zPjKLI9u8i4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

He obviously has talent.

The irony of the music is not lost on me.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I thought that was the right video for the job.

BCD
09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
If you don't think he will atleast get a chance that is pretty naive, hell Vick is back.I'm joking. I can see he's talented. I'm sure he will get a shot. What he should do now is damage control. He should issue a public apology to both schools.

Mecca
09-04-2009, 07:36 PM
He has apologized already he did it right after the game so I'm sure more will follow.

Fairplay
09-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Dang. I drank that 5 hour energy drink at 12:00 PM and i still feel like i could run around the block ten times.

Thats good stuff. Legalized speed you might say.

sedated
09-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm joking. I can see he's talented. I'm sure he will get a shot. What he should do now is damage control. He should issue a public apology to both schools.

he's way ahead of you.

I wonder what the chances are of him being reinstated this year. They didn't use the typical "suspended indefintely", so its doubtful, but teams have done stranger things.

Bwana
09-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, theres always boxing or MMA...

Or Burger King.

scott free
09-05-2009, 08:31 PM
If the pic of it i saw is correct, its one of the most hilarryus shots ever taken...COSMIC FAIL on the punchee lol, he's kinda walking off with a dumbshit grin like 'yeah, got him with THAT line'...while the crunch is already right there.