PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Blackout Policy: Potential Lamp Lit for PPV Football?

soundmind
09-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Just crazy...

Sporting News Article - the extended story (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-09-04/nfls-stance-on-blackout-policy-precursor-per-game-pay-per-view)

Per PFT - short story:

In recently explaining to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal the league's refusal to soften the blackout policy during a bad economy, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy hinted at the core of the concern. "The policy is important in supporting the ability of the clubs to sell tickets and keeping our games attractive as television programming with large crowds," McCarthy said, "so we can keep all our games on free TV."

In other words, the future of the blackout policy is tied to the future of free television broadcasts.

And despite current financial gloom that has prompted NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to predict that up to 20 percent of all games could be blacked out locally this year, a more significant source of non-sellouts is on the horizon -- along with the possibility for the potential introduction of true pay-per-view.

- Please don't force me to stop watching. And I will if this happens.

listopencil
09-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I became a Bronco fan when I lived in Texas and my father lived in Colorado. My mother moved us back to Virginia, my state of birth, within a few years of that. I followed my team on the radio for much of my youth. I'd do that again before I PPV.

Skip Towne
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I only watch Chiefs games. And only if they are free. They can shove PPV where the sun don't shine.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I watch Chiefs games online or through the radio, so it won't affect me. As an east coast Chiefs' fan I'm already used to the pain of finding ways to get Chiefs games.

Fruit Ninja
09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Living in California, i pay for them anyways, so to me it doesnt make a fucking difference.

pr_capone
09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I would stop watching.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I just think it's sad that a Bajillion dollar industry is so steadfast on a blackout policy, that they'd quicker turn to charging you for the game, than lose even 1% of their profit line.

That's customer appreciation at it's finest, no concern for the fan. They've just officially outpriced the market - and f*ck your PSLs, I won't be at the game if you do that at Arrowhead, and I was considering Season Tix next year and happily - and I agree with the article, with the economy where it is you'd think a smart long-term business move is to lift your blackout policy...but instead it's seen as potential to charge for the game, or at least setting the table for the ability to charge per game (which will ultimately lose customers).

Just strikes me as ridiculous. Out of market, I understand, you're asking for a feed that no one in your area wants. You're having specific information sent to you, at what is a reasonable price. But if it costs money to watch my team, in our market, on a television....f*ck you. That's the last straw in audacious business practices, I'm out. That's like Sprint charging me to have the phone powered on.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't mind PPV IF:

1. The price for each game was reasonable, I sure as hell am not going to pay $30/game like I do for the college PPV

2. All games were available to me and I could choose which ones I wanted to watch

3. There were NO FUCKING COMMERCIALS

Guru
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Unfortunately, there are more than enough fans that WILL pay any fee the NFL throws out there.

Guru
09-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't mind PPV IF:

1. The price for each game was reasonable, I sure as hell am not going to pay $30/game like I do for the college PPV

2. All games were available to me and I could choose which ones I wanted to watch

3. There were NO ****ING COMMERCIALSIf you are paying $30 for college you sure as shit will be paying more for NFL games.

J Diddy
09-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't mind PPV IF:

3. There were NO ****ING COMMERCIALS

I agree with everything you post here.

Thig Lyfe
09-04-2009, 10:10 PM
3. There were NO FUCKING COMMERCIALS

The commercial breaks are such a part of the pacing of the game now that it would be weird to adjust to not having them.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
If you are paying $30 for college you sure as shit will be paying more for NFL games.
Not necessarily, the college PPVs are aimed at a much smaller audience, so they need to charge more to turn a profit. And the only reason I pay that is because I only do it once a year, I sure as hell wouldn't pay that every week.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
If you are paying $30 for college you sure as shit will be paying more for NFL games.

This is exactly my fear. I've a few friends that pay for their respective colleges games, and I think I remember overhearing something like 20-30/per game...if that's the NCAA price, what's the NFL going to be able to demand?

NFL just went WWF. I can see it now, they'll test the waters by blacking out certain markets for different games, and every week the Sunday night game or Monday Night Football will be pay-per-view for a season.

J Diddy
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
The commercial breaks are such a part of the pacing of the game now that it would be weird to adjust to not having them.

I think I could adjust to not seeing the gayass herm edwards coors lite commercial every 3 minutes.

Basileus777
09-04-2009, 10:15 PM
This is exactly my fear. I've a few friends that pay for their respective colleges games, and I think I remember overhearing something like 20-30/per game...if that's the NCAA price, what's the NFL going to be able to demand?

NFL just went WWF. I can see it now, they'll test the waters by blacking out certain markets for different games, and every week the Sunday night game or Monday Night Football will be pay-per-view for a season.

They make too much from NBC/ESPN to do that.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I think I could adjust to not saying the gayass herm edwards coors lite commercial every 3 minutes.
That shit was ridiculous last night, I'm pissed that CTN allowed that. You can run your dumbass Coors light commercials, just run some of the other ones that don't feature the dipshit who ran our franchise into the ****ing ground.

Thig Lyfe
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I think I could adjust to not saying the gayass herm edwards coors lite commercial every 3 minutes.

I don't necessarily mean for us, the TV viewers, but for the players, coaches, cheerleaders, refs, stadium workers, etc. People at the game use those breaks for all sorts of shit that we don't see on TV, and it would be a radical change to go from three hours to however many it would be without commercials.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I would pay a few bucks to watch the game without commercials, but I already do. It's called DVR, and the bastards already charge me for that....which of course occasionally decides it's not available.

Sharks are in the water.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't necessarily mean for us, the TV viewers, but for the players, coaches, cheerleaders, refs, stadium workers, etc. People at the game use those breaks for all sorts of shit that we don't see on TV, and it would be a radical change to go from three hours to however many it would be without commercials.

In concessions alone this is a really good point. Think of the revenue lost on beer alone at Arrowhead or any other stadium...that could easily be enough to sway a vote.

Guru
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
ONe thing is certian, the fan will never win.

J Diddy
09-04-2009, 10:21 PM
That shit was ridiculous last night, I'm pissed that CTN allowed that. You can run your dumbass Coors light commercials, just run some of the other ones that don't feature the dipshit who ran our franchise into the ****ing ground.

For real. I think next game they'll have a commercial running continuously about devry's new football coach plan. Featuring king carl, herm edwards, mike solari, gunther cunningham and greg robinson.

J Diddy
09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I think it goes without saying this would be the stupidest move ever. If it wasn't free how many "fair weather" fans would only watch win their team is winning. They wouldn't be buying the merchandise or the tickets.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I honestly can't understand this blackout policy. What the hell does attendance have to do with the ability to broadcast the game? Do they not make bank off the rights to the game and advertising?

Guru
09-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I honestly can't understand this blackout policy. What the hell does attendance have to do with the ability to broadcast the game? Do they not make bank off the rights to the game and advertising?They are afraid people just won't buy tickets to the game if they can view it on TV.

Thig Lyfe
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
They are afraid people just won't buy tickets to the game if they can view it on TV.

Here's a thought: make tickets affordable.

Naaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Guru
09-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Here's a thought: make tickets affordable.

NaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhThere's no money in that.