PDA

View Full Version : Football Deion wades into the Crabtree fiasco

T-post Tom
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Deion wades into the Crabtree fiasco
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 11:00 PM ET

NFL Network's Deion Sanders chimed in earlier tonight regarding the lingering impasse between the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree.

Sanders, who was represented during his playing career by Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, and who still is believed to have close ties to him, said that Crabtree is willing to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft in 2010.

"You can't miss what you don't have," Sanders said regarding the money that Crabtree currently is leaving on the table.

Sanders also said that two teams contacted the 49ers regarding a trade for Crabtree, that the teams were willing to pay Crabtree, and that Crabtree knows it. Though Sanders didn't say so directly, he implied that the other teams were willing to pay Crabtree a contract worth $40 million. (And if the player became aware of the intended offers via communications with the interested teams, the 49ers should be filing tampering charges.)

As host Rich Eisen astutely pointed out in response, the window on trading Crabtree as closed. And, as we recently explained for SportingNews.com, by the time that window re-opens, a team would have to pay Crabtree out of a 2010 rookie pool number that gets no deeper to account for the presence of a holdover from 2009.

We were a bit troubled, frankly, by the extent to which Sanders used his regular spot on Total Access as a commercial for Parker, singing his praises while generally criticizing other agents who "didn't do a good job" by negotiating the contract that have placed Crabtree in a slot he doesn't like.

Along the way, Sanders parroted the talking points that we've heard Parker is using while recruiting the guys with whom Crabtree might be competing for draft position next year, explaining that Parker had done plenty of other deals (including the contract for 2009 third overall pick Tyson Jackson), a tactic which apparently is intended to insulate Parker from blame for the current mess.

But Sanders pushed it a bit too far with this one: "It's not Eugene's reputation or his benefit to keep a guy out."

Actually, Parker has a long history of "keeping a guy out." As we explained on August 21, only one of Parker's last 18 first-round picks reported for training camp on time.

In this specific case, Sanders was vague regarding the person most responsible for Crabtree's current status. There's speculation in league circles that Parker recruited Crabtree by promising that he'd be a top-five pick, and that Parker's Plan B was to attempt to get him a contract in that ballpark. The other school of thought is that the kid is simply delusional, and that he doesn't realize that he'll be in the same mess next year, unless he gets picked higher than he got picked this year.

He's also fooling himself if he thinks he'll be picked higher, especially since whoever is thinking about drafting Crabtree in 2010 will have no way to avoid the internal "I told you so's" if he gives his next team a hard time at any point during his career in that city.

okcchief
09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't get this. They aren't even that far apart and it's only going to cost him money and position if he holds out til next year. He is a fucking idiot and so is Deion.

Ugly Duck
09-04-2009, 11:02 PM
He is a ****ing idiot

Dang.... now I'm glad we didn't draft him! Who would want to pay that much money to a ****ing idiot?

Buehler445
09-04-2009, 11:04 PM
LOL @ Crabtree. He's going to go in the 5th round if he re-enters.

soundmind
09-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Crabtree and Vernon Davis on the same team. Even Singletary can't deal with that, the ego stroking would never cease. And who would trade for this kid? To call him a prima donna isn't enough. I can't wait until someone lights this kid up and breaks his jaw.

KcFanInGA
09-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Crabtree and Vernon Davis on the same team. Even Singletary can't deal with that, the ego stroking would never cease. And who would trade for this kid? To call him a prima donna isn't enough. I can't wait until someone lights this kid up and breaks his jaw.

Damn! Oh yeah....THIS

Miles
09-04-2009, 11:48 PM
This really is a fucked up situation. I can't really see a scenario where Crabtree benefits by holding out into the season. It also doesn't seem to be a situation like Andre Smith had where the team was trying to low ball him relative to where he was drafted.

The Bad Guy
09-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Deion can just fuck himself too.

KCDC
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I hope SF sticks it too him. Someone has to call the bluff,let him sit out a year, let his football skills erode, and then someone take him at the end ofthe first round, or second, and he gets half the money he would have gotten this year.

It would set a good example and knock Parker down to size as well.

Meanwhile, I'll love it if Crabtree ends up working at McDonalds during the year for minimum wage.

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2009, 01:30 AM
49ers should just give him a "deal," and say "take it, or leave it."

If he leaves it, he shits the whole thing down his sorry-assed delusional leg. Fugg him.

salame
09-05-2009, 02:21 AM
he is being a real jack ass

Saccopoo
09-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Considering the talent that is coming out next year, the neg rep that he's earning on a daily basis from this debacle, I think he's basically fucked in terms of earning anything beyond what the Niners are willing to pay him right now. If he holds out, and enters the '10 draft, there is no way he goes at #10 or above.

What is the deal with wide receivers anyway? Ocho, Owens, Moss, Marshall, et al. Bunch of loons.

salame
09-05-2009, 02:33 AM
he just needs to chill out
everyone knows he is better than Derrious Heyward Bey
he just needs to sign and play and I am SURE his second contract will far exceed dhbs next one

Saccopoo
09-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Salame, you have to change your avatar. That fucking cat is really starting to freak me out.

ChiefGator
09-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Hell, the 49ers should take him with a third round pick next year. That would be awesome!

MahiMike
09-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Man, this economy and the jackass is holding out. How many guys getting cut today would take his place? Karma is a bitch.

Kerberos
09-05-2009, 07:45 AM
he implied that the other teams were willing to pay Crabtree a contract worth $40 million.

Hey now...... A man's gotta eat don't he?[Quote]/TyLaw

JuicesFlowing
09-05-2009, 07:57 AM

Paging Mr. Blount, paging Mr. Blount! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

soundmind
09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't pay this guy a dime. Sits out of OTAs, sits out mini-camp, holding out all preseason, potentially into the preseason....f*cking weak. I don't care how good you think you are, what they're offering you is a golden gift.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/21037/45408_49ers_camp_football.jpg
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/f/1/a/f/San_Francisco_49ers_c55e.jpg
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/photo_images/90211/46032_49ers_Camp_Football.jpg

As bad as the Chiefs need wideouts, I don't think I want him anywhere near my team.

Baconeater
09-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Salame, you have to change your avatar. That ****ing cat is really starting to freak me out.
Hehe, apparently it's some alien puppet cat that speaks an alien language or some shit. That dude is out there.

Pants
09-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I hope SF sticks it too him. Someone has to call the bluff,let him sit out a year, let his football skills erode, and then someone take him at the end ofthe first round, or second, and he gets half the money he would have gotten this year.

Meanwhile, I'll love it if Crabtree ends up working at McDonalds during the year for minimum wage.

Crabtree is being taken care of by multimillionaires. I don't think he'll be working any job any time soon.

DaFace
09-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I think the shitty thing is that the Niners won't get ANYTHING in compensation if he sits out. You'd think there'd be some rule to protect the teams so that they don't end up essentially forfeiting a first-round pick because someone they draft ends up being a jackass.

JuicesFlowing
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I think the shitty thing is that the Niners won't get ANYTHING in compensation if he sits out. You'd think there'd be some rule to protect the teams so that they don't end up essentially forfeiting a first-round pick because someone they draft ends up being a jackass.

Well said. I was thinking about that earlier, the Niners are really getting screwed.

DrRyan
09-05-2009, 11:09 AM
It blows my mind trying to follow his rationale. I am confused what he thinks the end game is here. He is not going to be paid the same contract Heyward-Bey signed, the 49ers would set a terrible precedent by doing that.

If he truly believes that sitting out this whole year, not playing football, shredding his reputation more each day is going to lead to him getting drafted higher and making more money, he is delusional.

Frazod
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Nice to see that SlimeTime is on his old agent's payroll. :shake:

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-05-2009, 11:30 AM
It's getting to the point where it's in the best interests of the 49ers to tell him to go fuck himself, offer him nothing, and just move on.

The guy had so many red flags going into the draft that there's no reason why he should have been considered that high of a prospect.

He's slow, he comes from a spread offense, he had injury concerns, he runs sloppy routes, and he's obviously a me-first prima donna.

Just save your cap space, let him turn into the next Mike Williams, and have better luck next year.

And although it's a novel idea by DaFace, the only league that offers draft pick compensation like that is baseball, but it's a totally different animal. It takes several years for a baseball pick to mature and produce on average, and 1st rounders are generally going to be starters from day one. Couple that with the fact that there is no developmental system for football players like the minor leagues in BB, and it's just not a terribly realistic scenario.

"Bob" Dobbs
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I think the shitty thing is that the Niners won't get ANYTHING in compensation if he sits out. You'd think there'd be some rule to protect the teams so that they don't end up essentially forfeiting a first-round pick because someone they draft ends up being a jackass.I would think, that in a fair world, the 9ers would get maybe a compensatory pick from whoever eventually drafts him?

Over-Head
09-05-2009, 11:44 AM
And everyone laughed at AD for taking Hayward-Bey (sp) over crabtree.
At least our draft pick IS PLAYING :clap:

Over-Head
09-05-2009, 11:45 AM

This

morphius
09-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Trade him to Denver for Marshall, then they could both just suffer with the others screw up, and Denver loves guys who are willing to hold out for a year.

Heck, I'm surprised he is even waiting for the extra money, he seems stupid enough that he will be broke before he gets out of the league.

stumppy
09-05-2009, 12:00 PM

No.......everyone was laughing at Hayward-Bey because he was picked by the Faiders.

:D

salame
09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
al davis ruined the 49ers season

"Bob" Dobbs
09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
al davis ruined the 49ers seasonWhat? It wasn't enough to ruin MANY Raiders seasons? :)

JASONSAUTO
09-05-2009, 02:15 PM
At least our draft pick IS PLAYING :clap:

well when he isnt hurt....:D

salame
09-05-2009, 02:16 PM
he has a master plan to ruin the league
he does it by cutting players like deangelo hall
and signing his draft picks to crazy deals
he is a genious at ruining football

GoHuge
09-05-2009, 02:22 PM
i look at this the same way as i do aaron crow. at some point you have to question these guy's competitive fire. to me they look like scared bitches that are afraid they're not gonna make it and these guys are negotiating for the only salary they're ever going to have offered. fagtree should look at crow's situation. he didn't sign over $500k last year and now he's being offered 500k less than that this year. ego's are a dangerous thing and they make people do stupid things.
Posted via Mobile Device