PDA

View Full Version : Football Football rivalries, do they still exist amongst the players and coaches?

KCChiefsMan
09-07-2009, 02:19 AM
just don't see it anymore. I don't see the passion, the hatred toward a teams rival with the players or the coaches. Sure, the fans hate each other, but I'm talking about the players and coaches. In the 90's, Marty Schottenheimer would make sure that everyone on his Chiefs team hated the raiders and losing to them was unacceptable and you could tell while watching the game. It doesn't feel that way anymore when you watch a Chiefs vs raiders game. Same with the Chiefs vs Broncos back then, the monday night meltdown? They hated each other.
Back in the day, Woody Hays would run the score up on Michigan because he hated them so much. The players of Michigan upsetting Ohio State that one year, the players played their hardest because of their rivalry toward Ohio State.
Do these rivalries still exist? When I watch a Packers vs Bears game, it doesn't feel like a rivalry today. Or a Chiefs vs Raiders game, or a Redskins vs Cowboys game Texas vs OU, Alabama vs Auburn and so on. Maybe it is because everyone has to act a certain way and always show great sportsmanship. Or football is just a job to most players and coaches and don't get caught up in that. It seems like the passion for the rivalry is gone with the coaches and players. The fans may be the only people who give a damn about any rivalry in today's game.

JuicesFlowing
09-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Well according to every ****ing media person on earth, the Steelers-Ravens is the bloodiest, most hate-mongering death match ever imaginable in NFL history. For some reason I never even heard about it until last year, then it became just the Epic Rivalry Of All Time!!!!!!!! Whatever.

Just Passin' By
09-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Ask the Patriots players who were around for the Mangini departure how they feel about the man they call Fredo............

TrickyNicky
09-07-2009, 02:31 AM
The rules to protect players kind of diminished all the hatred. Remember when a safety was supposed to headhunt?

kcfanXIII
09-07-2009, 03:22 AM
i'd say in college and high school they do, but professional levels no. with free agency and the way coaches only stay put for a few years eliminates that. ask the mu and ku players, or blue springs players about rockhurst. i bet they have some genuine hatred.

Over-Head
09-07-2009, 09:12 AM
The rules to protect players kind of diminished all the hatred. Remember when a safety was supposed to headhunt?
Ahhhh, the days of Tatum, and Lott

Over-Head
09-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Well according to every ****ing media person on earth, the Steelers-Ravens is the bloodiest, most hate-mongering death match ever imaginable in NFL history. For some reason I never even heard about it until last year, then it became just the Epic Rivalry Of All Time!!!!!!!! Whatever.
I remember Steelers - Raiders, not Ravens:hmmm:

Mile High Mania
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I think there are a few... but, those days are long gone.

Rain Man
09-07-2009, 01:42 PM
This is a great thread, and yeah, I think the rivalries are becoming a thing of the past. Free agency means that a player can end up on any team at any time, and the movement of other players probably means that a veteran will be pals with someone on the opposite bench.

Per post #4, I agree that they probably still exist in high school and college, with the key difference being that players very rarely move between rival high schools or rival colleges. Therefore, the tribalism that promotes rivalries is undiminished.

There's a good sociology paper in here.

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Everyone is just too busy trying to survive and get paid to worry about rivalries. imo.

Dylan
09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
*Giants / *Eagles

Giants / Cowboys

Chiefs / Denver (no?)

Mr. Krab
09-07-2009, 02:06 PM
*Giants / *Eagles

Giants / Cowboys

Chiefs / Denver (no?)
The fans, yes. The players and coaches, not much.

Dottefan
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
This is a great thread, and yeah, I think the rivalries are becoming a thing of the past. Free agency means that a player can end up on any team at any time, and the movement of other players probably means that a veteran will be pals with someone on the opposite bench.

Per post #4, I agree that they probably still exist in high school and college, with the key difference being that players very rarely move between rival high schools or rival colleges. Therefore, the tribalism that promotes rivalries is undiminished.

There's a good sociology paper in here.

THIS

KCtotheSB
09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Rivalries aren't what they used to be. Steelers-Ravens is probably the best RIGHT NOW followed closely by Patriots-Colts. Then again, by this time next year we'll probably be saying Texans-Rams or Buccaneers-49ers will be the new "best" rivalry.

As for Chiefs-Raiders/Chiefs-Broncos, the hate is definitely still there....but it's moreso amongst the fans. Eventually, I'd like to think the rivalries on the field can get back to a boiling point. After all, familiarity breeds contempt.