PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Grigsby Steals The Show At Chiefs’ Luncheon

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 06:26 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/896833.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Usually, the Chiefs’ annual kickoff luncheon is a boring, pointless, contrived pep rally. That’s great if it’s your sort of thing - balloons, cheerleaders and Jock Jams. Tuesday, at the Chiefs’ 2009 luncheon, I fully expected to listen to the dry speeches, ambiguous encouragements and failed attempts at humor and leave unimpressed.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
There was certainly some of that. Coach Todd Haley and general manager Scott Pioli (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3933332) talked about hard work, discipline and having the “right 53 guys.” Chairman Clark Hunt talked about being excited for a new football season and a new era in Chiefs football. Hunt and Pioli joked about Haley’s new conditioning plan. Even Kansas City mayor Mark Funkhouser poked fun at himself.

However predictable and uneventful the luncheon was, there was one man who stole the show, as he usually does - Bill Grigsby. There is no better hype man in professional sports. Grigsby is to the Chiefs as Flava Flav was to Public Enemy. No one can conjure excitement like Grigsby.

Even Mitch Holthus, the voice of the Kingdom, seemed monotone sharing Grigsby’s stage. That says a lot. Holthus “Touchdown, Kansas City” call makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, but Grigsby worked the crowd like a legend Tuesday. When he cracked a joke, the biggest smile on the dais belonged to Holthus.

Grigsby told a story about Hall of Fame kicker Jan Stenerud knocking on Hank Stram’s door to report for training camp at four AM. Stram told Stenerud to knock on all the other doors and come back and tell him what the other coaches and players said. Stenerud did so, and returned to Stram, who asked him what they said, to which Stenerud responded, “Nothing. They’re not in yet.”

Nobody can tell a story about the good old days like Grigsby. He’s like a grandfather to Chiefs fans.

Grigsby talked about wide receiver Otis Taylor, opening the discussion by saying, “One of us is dying.” The entire Hyatt Regency ballroom went silent. No one dared peck away on their cell phone. There was no tinkering of glasses against silverware or china.

Haley and Pioli, who maintained blank stares into the crowd or their plate throughout most of the ceremony, sat at attention with their eyes fixed on Grigsby. The old man reminisced about a one-handed grab Taylor made during the Chiefs’ 1969 Super Bowl run. He talked about Taylor’s battle with Parkinson’s. You could hear a pin drop. I had tears welling up in my eyes. It was the saddest, most captivating thing I’d seen in quite a while, reminiscent of John Cappelletti’s emotional 1973 Heisman Trophy acceptance speech.

Grigsby, like Taylor, is a living legend. He is truly a Kansas City icon. I’m young, but I’ll always remember Grigsby. I never got to hear him call a game, but his timeless voice saying “PRRRice Chopper” gives me chills. We should enjoy Grigsby while we still have him, and should ensure the youngest generation of Chiefs fans gets acquainted with him. Cubs fans can have Harry Caray and Cardinals fans can have Jack Buck. I’ll take Bill Grigsby.

I’ll end this column with another luncheon story from grandpa:

“And there’s another moment that I thought of,” said Grigsby. “Talk about learning to win. You go back against Joe Namath, Shea stadium and the New York Jets. Kansas City scored first. Namath brings the (Jets) back to the two-yard line. This is where you learn to win. First down, goal to go, in a very important game. Namath hands off to Matt Snell - no gain. Namath hands off to Matt Snell - no gain.”

“Namath then fakes the hand off, goes back to pass. Bobby Bell read everything that Namath was thinking. Dumped him for a loss. They had to settle for three. The Chiefs go on to win a tight game and moved on to beat the Raiders, then went to the Super Bowl, but while they were in that line stopping Matt Snell…Buck Buchanan - he’s in the Hall of Fame. One of the most beautiful big men I ever knew from Grambling.”

“I always said there’d be no grumbling in Grambling tonight with Buck Buchanan. Tears running down his face, holding the New York Jets out of the endzone. That is where you learn to win, and why this franchise is a franchise of greatness, and don’t ever let anyone tell you we won’t be back.”

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

KCUnited
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
PRICE CHOPPPPPPPPAAARRRR!

Ari Chi3fs
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
nice article. I like Grigs...

Consistent1
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Man, I was hoping that Boomer showed up out of nowhere and choke-slammed Haley. Misleading thread title alert....

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Man, I was hoping that Boomer showed up out of nowhere and choke-slammed Haley. Misleading thread title alert....

Boomer sure left a mark on this forum for being a talentless waste of space in the NFL...incredible.

Goldmember
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
That warmed the "cockles of my heart" Yeah old Bill is a good guy, but I hate the word "cockles" and that idiom he used in some commercial. What the hell does a cockle have to do with your heart anyway??

Skip Towne
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Matt Snell not Max Schnell

Goldmember
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

nice catch!

Maybe Matt Snell also was at Nuremberg

Bwana
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Great Read.

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Holy shit, that's embarrassing. Fixed.

Goldmember
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Holy shit, that's embarrassing.

Leave it, that was one of the funniest things I've seen on this site!

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Leave it, that was one of the funniest things I've seen on this site!

Absolutely not. We're fortunate our crack team of Chiefsplanet editors caught that.

WilliamTheIrish
09-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Just read it. Glad you corrected him before I did.

WilliamTheIrish
09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Holy shit, that's embarrassing. Fixed.

Heh. You did okay.

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Heh. You did okay.

I didn't write it. But I should have caught that, anyway. :shake:

gblowfish
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Ah... Grigs.
Grigs is the Chiefs version of the Pittsburgh Steeler's Myron Cope. If you've never heard of Myron Cope, he did Steelers play by play for like 35 years, and had a distinct style. You can check out Myron here:

http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/

Grigs was a definite party animal in his younger days. He bended quite a few with Hank and Len and the boys. I can remember several times in the 70's and 80's sitting out in the parking lot, having a few (Before Marty and big crowds) and Grigs going "Nineteen degrees with a 25 mph wind outta the northwest...BEA-TIFUL day for football!!"

A few of my fave Grigs pics here, including one I snapped of him heading back up to the booth from the field. This is the tunnel right below my seats. Pic was taken in 2002.

KcMizzou
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Good stuff. :clap:

2bikemike
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Great read, I bet it was cool to hear in person!

MahiMike
09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I can remember when Chiefs sucked so bad they were blacked out on TV. Listened to a lot of games on the radio as a kid.

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
"I want to thank the Hunt family and Scott for giving me an opportunity to coach this franchise. And I want everyone here to know that next to God and my family, it is all that I care about. In season, sometimes that gets a little out of order."

EXTREME LAUGHTER

http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=6059220

stevieray
09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Griggs and Skid Roadie gave me a sweet set of utensils for BBQ at a Chiefs game a couple years back..

he is very cool to hang with.

boogblaster
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Nice ...

JOhn
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Ah... Grigs.
Grigs is the Chiefs version of the Pittsburgh Steeler's Myron Cope. If you've never heard of Myron Cope, he did Steelers play by play for like 35 years, and had a distinct style. You can check out Myron here:

http://www.networksandwebapplications.com/myron/

Grigs was a definite party animal in his younger days. He bended quite a few with Hank and Len and the boys. I can remember several times in the 70's and 80's sitting out in the parking lot, having a few (Before Marty and big crowds) and Grigs going "Nineteen degrees with a 25 mph wind outta the northwest...BEA-TIFUL day for football!!"

A few of my fave Grigs pics here, including one I snapped of him heading back up to the booth from the field. This is the tunnel right below my seats. Pic was taken in 2002.
that middle pic is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcellus
09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I was there today and Grigsby did a good job I will say but he rambled quite a bit as well.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/video/ (the one titled luncheon)

We sat with Tamba Hali who had a lot of interesting things to say about the difference between Edwards and Haley. Here are a few notables for you, not taken verbatim but as well as I can remember.

* Gunther absolutely hated the game plan he was forced to implement under Edwards. Edwards theory was we will practice at a fast pace and go out and see what happens. The coaches were not at all on the same page. (you can decide on your own whether you think that had any effect on Gunther's ability as a d-coordinator)

* Said he though Cassel looked fine at practice. (he was walking with no noticeable limp from what I saw)

* Haley and staff are on the same page and have a game plan going (started planning for Baltimore last week and implementing it, not unusual you would think). I told him he looked to really be doing well and things are picking up, he said it was coaching and scheme. He seemed to act like game planning on defense was a new thing. They have an attack plan. Take it for what it's worth. He also stated he weighed more going into camp this year than last even after all the talk of weight loss. Playing the weak side he was told to lose weight last year.

* From me- Cottam does not look thick enough to be TE. He is tall but not a lot of bulk.

* Brodey looked a little bigger to me than last year. Put on some weight.

You can see the back of my head in the video on Chiefs.com during the cut away while Haley is talking. I am wearing a white shirt and starting to get a bald spot. My cousin Amy is getting the autograph from J. Belcher in the
video.:p

I talked to Clark Hunt for a few minutes and got his autograph as well as about 10 players. I told Clark the CP 14 thought he was an idiot.:p JK.
Seriously Clark was very cool.

Anybody gets the chance I highly recommend it. Cost me $66. You just have to know some Red Coaters to get tickets. I've been 3 times now and it is a good time.

Count Zarth
09-08-2009, 09:46 PM
He also stated he weighed more going into camp this year than last even after all the talk of weight loss. Playing the weak side he was told to lose weight last year.

That's....odd....

Maybe he just lost fat and gained muscle. Fat loss is the #1 performance enhancer.

Marcellus
09-09-2009, 08:39 AM
That's....odd....

Maybe he just lost fat and gained muscle. Fat loss is the #1 performance enhancer.

I think he stated he was trying to get faster last year since he was on the right side going against the LT and speed was more important than size.

He moved back to the left side and started putting on weight. I think he said he was 8 lbs heavier this year going into TC than last year.

I can't express enough how much he felt last years defensive issues were due to a lack of a plan and the coaches not agreeing on how to do things.

Herm F***ing Edwards.

Deberg_1990
09-09-2009, 08:48 AM
heh. Gret read.

Ill never forget after the 95 playoff loss to the Colts, Grigsby on the radio pleading with the fans to not go home and kick their dogs. :)

Skip Towne
09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Grigsby sometimes liked to take a little nip while on the air to "steady his nerves". Once in awhile he got so steady he couldn't walk.