PDA

View Full Version : News My New BBQ Rankings

Pages : 1 [2]

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
You've got no response. You know I know what I'm talking about here and you've got nothing you can say. Enjoy selling your servers loser. It's about as complex as selling paper for Dunder Mifflin.

NO, unacceptable, quit shifting the attention, PROVE YOUR THEORY. I want a link stating/indicating what you claim, the internet will have something, somewhere is this is SO true (which it is not)

AustinChief
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Being corporate doesn't help, I think it is less high profile than Gates or Bryants.

Going to KC masterpiece for BBQ is like going to Applebees for a steak. It won't be horrible, but it won't be fantastic either. It is mass produced chain food.

Actually, no it isn't. The CHAIN shut down years ago. Now it is ONE restaurant which has new owners and one of the top BBQ guys in town. (who redesigned the menu) I can't speak for the quality... butI can say that if you haven't been in the last year... then it defintely isn't the same.

keg in kc
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought the subject was barbecue, and not how Baltimore is like a bout of runny diarrhea following behind the giant steaming turd that is the northeast.

KyleProBoller
09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
NO, unacceptable, quit shifting the attention, PROVE YOUR THEORY. I want a link stating/indicating what you claim, the internet will have something, somewhere is this is SO true (which it is not)

What theory is that. You posted some topic changing thread about stealing crabcakes. Are you really this dumb?

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I thought the subject was barbecue, and not how Baltimore is like a bout of runny diarrhea following behind the giant steaming turd that is the northeast.

There, there's a pretty good chance you'll die getting your newspaper out of your driveway.

Delano
09-09-2009, 02:33 PM
What theory is that. You posted some topic changing thread about stealing crabcakes. Are you really this dumb?

Reading comprehension fail?

Check post 250, you mouth breather.

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM

short memory, once I pinned you down. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Simply Red - 1
broke software salesman - 0

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/213f3w2.jpg

KyleProBoller
09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
short memory, once I pinned you down. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Simply Red - 1
broke software salesman - 0

You really can't be this dumb. Please tell me you don't actually think hardware sales is something to brag about. Do you???

RJ
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Well they are renovated. Some of the row homes are huge in size. Jenna Bush lives a couple blocks from me. Not a bad place.

There are some large row houses. The biggest ones are usually on the corners, maybe 18 feet wide. But a lot of the old ones that are selling for huge prices are only 12-15 feet wide. I don't think any in Fells Point are over 12' and none of them have a yard worth speaking of.

Federal Hill is probably a great place to live for a young person or couple with no kids and the income to afford it, but not so great I wouldn't think for middle class families. I look at the housing prices in Baltimore City and County fairly often, I don't know how a young family can afford to own a home there. I'm hoping my son moves to a more affordable area.

RJ
09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
So ProBoller, are you from Baltimore or did you move there after you got out of school?

Are you an official Baltimoron or a transplant? It's an important distinction.

KyleProBoller
09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
There are some large row houses. The biggest ones are usually on the corners, maybe 18 feet wide. But a lot of the old ones that are selling for huge prices are only 12-15 feet wide. I don't think any in Fells Point are over 12' and none of them have a yard worth speaking of.

Federal Hill is probably a great place to live for a young person or couple with no kids and the income to afford it, but not so great I wouldn't think for middle class families. I look at the housing prices in Baltimore City and County fairly often, I don't know how a young family can afford to own a home there. I'm hoping my son moves to a more affordable area.

Eh...the way I look at it is, the area is getting better all the time and they are building a ton of new large offices in Harbor East. Everyday I see the trash move out and a nice clean cut family move in and renovate the place. My property values are only going up. I look at it as an investment that I'm willing to put more into. The only down side are the heavy city property taxes.

acesn8s
09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I could buy a mansion in the craphole that is KC for the price of a 2 bedroom condo in Fed Hill.So you overpay for crap?

KyleProBoller
09-09-2009, 02:57 PM
So ProBoller, are you from Baltimore or did you move there after you got out of school?

Are you an official Baltimoron or a transplant? It's an important distinction.

Grew up in Northern Baltimore County and went to a Catholic school up there. Went to college in DC and then stayed there for awhile. Moved back up to Baltimore because I like the area better.

alpha_omega
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Y, too bad Kyle is having St. Loser BBQ now.

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Grew up in Northern Baltimore County and went to a Catholic school up there. Went to college in DC and then stayed there for awhile. Moved back up to Baltimore because I like the area better.

So you were part of that whole 'Yale thing?'

acesn8s
09-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Federal Hill is probably a great place to live for a young person or couple with no kids and the income to afford it, but not so great I wouldn't think for middle class families. I look at the housing prices in Baltimore City and County fairly often, I don't know how a young family can afford to own a home there. I'm hoping my son moves to a more affordable area.Sounds like a trailer park.

KyleProBoller
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
So you were part of that whole 'Yale thing?'

You unload any servers today? Or should I say has your sales engineer unloaded any servers?

RJ
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM

So you're one of the yuppies who moved into the city after those neighborhoods got fixed up a bit? No offense. Baltimore would be really hosed - even worse than it is - without people like yourself. The tax base has dwindled, to say the least. But those neighborhoods just don't have the charm and character that they once did. I used to shoot darts and play pool in some little neighborhood places near where you live. They're probably still there, but I doubt they're the same. Something I noticed earlier was that you used crab cakes as an example of Baltimore food. A true Baltimoron would have said steamed crabs, hon. You know what I mean?

Are you old enough to have ever been to a game at Memorial Stadium? Section 34 for O's games, now that was a party. For Colts games it was "The World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum", at least if you were in the end zone seats. That's all changed since Camden Yards, the crowds look different these days. Hell, how many blue collar people are even left there? Bethlehem Steel is mostly gone, as is Armco Steel. Is the GM plant closed down?

It's a different town than the one I grew up in.

Raised On Riots
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
So you're one of the yuppies who moved into the city after those neighborhoods got fixed up a bit? No offense. Baltimore would be really hosed - even worse than it is - without people like yourself. The tax base has dwindled, to say the least. But those neighborhoods just don't have the charm and character that they once did. I used to shoot darts and play pool in some little neighborhood places near where you live. They're probably still there, but I doubt they're the same. Something I noticed earlier was that you used crab cakes as an example of Baltimore food. A true Baltimoron would have said steamed crabs, hon. You know what I mean?

Are you old enough to have ever been to a game at Memorial Stadium? Section 34 for O's games, now that was a party. For Colts games it was "The World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum", at least if you were in the end zone seats. That's all changed since Camden Yards, the crowds look different these days. Hell, how many blue collar people are even left there? Bethlehem Steel is mostly gone, as is Armco Steel. Is the GM plant closed down?

It's a different town than the one I grew up in.

pwnd.

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Crab Cake Recipe
Famous Restaurant Recipe
(see below for smaller recipe)
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes. Makes 16 cakes for appetizers. Makes 8 cakes for an entree.

Ingredients

2 eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (this instead of English dry mustard is my variation on traditional recipes)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 pinch of cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 pounds Dungeness crab meat (or lump crab meat from the best crab available to you)
2 tablespoons finely ground cracker crumbs
Clarified butter as needed for frying (sauteing)
Bread crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs) as needed
Instructions:

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl to blend
Add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, cayenne and salt and whisk until smooth
Mix in crab and cracker crumbs
Form into 16 small (1/2 inch thick) crab cakes if serving as an appetize or 8 cakes if using as an entree
Place on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Coat the crab cakes with Panko bread crumbs
Fry in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides
Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce or your favorite sauce

Crab Cake Appetizer For Two
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes. Makes 4 appetizer size crab cakes

Cooking Conversion Table

Ingredients:

1/2 egg (That's right. 1/2 an egg! Use 1 large egg - which weighs about 2 ounces or 4 tablespoons - To use, beat the egg lightly in a small bowl and measure 2 tablespoons for use in making this recipe)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (this instead of English dry mustard is my variation on traditional recipes)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
Pinch of white pepper
Pinch of cayenne
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 ounces Dungeness crab meat (or lump crab meat from the best crab available to you)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely ground cracker crumbs
Clarified butter as needed for frying (sauteing)
Bread crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs - Panko) as needed

Instructions:

Whisk the 1/2 egg in a mixing bowl
Add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, cayenne and salt and whisk until smooth
Mix in crab and cracker crumbs
Form into 4 small (about 1/2 inch thick) crab cakes
Place on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Coat the crab cakes with Panko bread crumbs
Fry in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides
Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce or your favorite sauce

Enjoy your crab cake recipe and the company of those you share it with! Enjoy all the real restaurant recipes on the web site and in the e-cookbooks. You can cook with confidence and style.

Raised On Riots
09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
LMAO

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 03:49 PM
No tell me about this lucrative hardware sales job you have. I'm actually quite familiar with the industry. I used to interview a lot of sales guys for a large software company in Northern Virginia. We'd cut all the losers who sold hardware based on resume review. Our opinion was they were all farmers who W2'd pathetic sums and had no drive to hunt out new business. We also felt their sales skills were only good enough to sell a tangible value proposition and they lacked the intellect to proproperly convey the value proposition of an enterprise software sale. Let's discuss this in detail.

No. Let's show off your work!
http://i31.tinypic.com/35i20yv.jpg

RJ
09-09-2009, 03:49 PM
SR, you need blue crab, not dungeness. The bread crumbs and crackers have to go as well. What you want is lump backfin, a little season and the binding agents. Also, broiled is way better than fried. I like mine on crackers. I had one Saturday with some fresh local tomatoes, a bowl of cream of crab soup and a half dozen oysters. Full disclosure: the oysters were from Long Island.

I was in heaven. Gawd I miss the food back there.

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 03:50 PM
SR, you need blue crab, not dungeness. The bread crumbs and crackers have to go as well. What you want is lump backfin, a little season and the binding agents. Al;so, broiled is way better than fried. I like mine on crackers. I had one Saturday with some fresh local tomatoes, a bowl of cream of crab soup and a half dozen oysters. Full disclosure: the oysters were from Long Island.

I was in heaven. Gawd I miss the food back there.

i know, that was the first one i found, I think i'd use Ritz in mine, for the butteryness.

keg in kc
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I think I'd rather have smoked salmon spread. Best I ever had I made from salmon I caught myself in Alaska.

RJ
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
i know, that was the first one i found, I think i'd use Ritz in mine, for the butteryness.

The backfin crab meat is rich enough that you wouldn't need it, but I'm sure it would still be damn good. If you start off with quality crab you can't go too far wrong.

acesn8s
09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
The backfin crab meat is rich enough that you wouldn't need it, but I'm sure it would still be damn good. If you start off with quality crab you can't go too far wrong.I thought the crackers were used to soak up excess liquid?

Simply Red
09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought the crackers were used to soak up excess liquid?

it's part of the whole bonding experience

RJ
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I thought the crackers were used to soak up excess liquid?

The cracker crumbs are useful as a binder. If I use them it is in very small quantities. The best crab cakes are mostly crab meat, if you handle them very gently and broil rather than fry they will hold together nicely without the bread or cracker crumbs. Of course, if you do use the crumbs you can stretch that crab meat a bit further. At today's prices that wouldn't be a bad thing.

SDChiefs
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Next hes gonna tells us that they have the best Mexican food in upstate Maine. Hes just a dumbass.

jwazzie
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Well, my father in law was in KU Med last week and my family ate at OK Joe's for the first time and, well.....I have a new number 1. That place was awesome! The Z Man sandwich is legit and the sauces are perfect. Also, Arthur Bryant's was very good but Jack Stack is still #2

Thanks KC for the hospitality and BBQ when we were in town.

thurman merman
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, my father in law was in KU Med last week and my family ate at OK Joe's for the first time and, well.....I have a new number 1. That place was awesome! The Z Man sandwich is legit and the sauces are perfect. Also, Arthur Bryant's was very good but Jack Stack is still #2

Word. OK Joe's rules.

journeyscarab
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
OK Joes is da bomb!

Great Expectations
02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
OK Joes is far and away the best.

Raiderhader
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Stopped in at Quick's 7th Street BBQ for lunch the other day. It had been at least a few years since I was last there. It was alright, not nearly as good as I remember it.

blaise
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Love Ok Joes. I guess they have a Tulsa location now.

Canofbier
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Word, OK Joe's is fantastic. Although I always hate having to explain to people that no, it's not in Oklahoma.

Predarat
02-16-2012, 03:22 PM
We need an Okie Joes in Nashville. The BBQ here is subpar at best.

SLAG
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Love Ok Joes. I guess they have a Tulsa location now.

Actually its not part of the OK Joes Family.
The owner was a member of the Slaughterhouse Five Many years ago - but opened his own independent joint in Tulsa - his name is joe... lol

blaise
02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Actually its not part of the OK Joes Family.
The owner was a member of the Slaughterhouse Five Many years ago - but opened his own independent joint in Tulsa - his name is joe... lol

That's funny. I didn't know that. I hear commercials for it on a Tulsa radio station and I figured they branched out.

O.city
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Ok Joes for pulled pork/burnt ends on certain days. Have the best pork sandwiches and onion rings.

Jack Stack for burnt ends.

Arthur Bryants for ribs, and beef brisket.

burt
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Ok Joes for pulled pork/burnt ends on certain days. Have the best pork sandwiches and onion rings.

Jack Stack for burnt ends.

Arthur Bryants for ribs, and beef brisket.

DEAD SOLID PERFECT!

Der Flöprer
02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
The Poor Russ sandwich is the greatest creation in the history of mankind. Nothing even comes close to touching it, but I haven't eaten at Arthur Bryant's yet. I just can't imagine them having anything that beats it.

gblowfish
02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Arthur Bryant's smoked turkey is wonderful. They have a sweet sauce that is very good with poultry. The regular tangy red sauce is great on ribs and brisket. I like Zarda's for pulled pork. I still like Gates ribs the best, AB close second. Jack Stack has the best beans. Woodyard BBQ in KCK for smoked chicken. Big T's on Blue Parkway for sausage.

I used to love the chicken gumbo at Okla Joe's till it gave me food poisoning once.
Their Z Man sandwich is damn good.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Man, Jack Stack Beans and cheesy corn bake with that Poor Russ sandwich is something I could eat every day I think.

O.city
02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Last weekend I had Burnt ends, cheesy bake, Pork Ribs, and beef brisket along with a couple glasses of wine and a Tank 7 boulevard at Jack Stack on the plaza. It was beautiful.

Best part was, I didn't have to pay for it.

Al Bundy
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Oklahoma Joe's is getting closer to opening on 119th and Roe.

Dayze
02-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I think gates sucks.

Edit....extremely overrated

O.city
02-16-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm not a big gates fan at all either.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I think gates sucks.

Edit....extremely overrated

I buy their bbq sauce anytime I'm in Walmart. Their pulled pork sammich is pretty effen good. I've only been there once, but I loved getting yelled at when I walk in the door.

keg in kc
02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I used to love the chicken gumbo at Okla Joe's till it gave me food poisoning once.
Their Z Man sandwich is damn good.I have that gumbo every time I go. I love the hell out of that stuff.

I was a little miffed yesterday (my birthday...) that they were out of burnt ends, but that was my own fault for going in late instead of going in early. 3 hours of family phone calls kind of killed my evening. I ended up getting the hogamaniac platter, which is sausage, pulled pork and ribs, with fries (love their fries) and gumbo with no rice.

Still my favorite place in town.

Extra Point
02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
The Poor Russ sandwich is the greatest creation in the history of mankind. Nothing even comes close to touching it, but I haven't eaten at Arthur Bryant's yet. I just can't imagine them having anything that beats it.

AB's beef and ham combo sammich w/fries FTW!

LOCOChief
02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Summit Hickory Pit
OK Joes
Jack Stack
Winslows
LC's

Der Flöprer
02-16-2012, 08:55 PM
AB's beef and ham combo sammich w/fries FTW!

next time I'm in KC i'll get one.

O.city
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Damn I love living in KC.

I just picked up my dinner, which is about 2 pounds of burnt ends from Jack Stack, and a 12 pack of Boulevard wheat.

Bowser
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Bastards. I want some OK Joe's now.

Al Bundy
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

I just picked up my dinner, which is about 2 pounds of burnt ends from Jack Stack, and a 12 pack of Boulevard wheat.

Looks like you're in hog heaven.

O.city
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
I certainly am.

Now I'm off to turn out some time at the gym.

Der Flöprer
02-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Fuck off.

Count Alex's Losses
09-05-2013, 12:50 AM
How do you guys like McGonigle's Market?

AustinChief
09-05-2013, 01:07 AM

Keep your Harry Potter obsession to yourself! :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/McGonagall.jpg

Count Alex's Losses
09-05-2013, 01:08 AM
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/40663882.jpg

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Agreed. But, I still eat it!! And, even though it sucks ass in KC, it's head and shoulders better than BBQ that you'll find on the east coast.

I pretty much agree with this entire post - which is crazy because you're John_Wayne.

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:21 AM
i'm going to dip a butter knife in my Gates real quick - brb.

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:23 AM
see I like Gate's sauce. It's plenty salty, peppery, celery seedish w/ that touch of smoke.

It really just can't be denied. I'd say it's a top ten bbq sauce in all of the world.

BWillie
09-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Honest question, why do ppl continue to rank Gates so high? Ill admit ive only ate there twice but each time the quality and preperation was garbage.

Count Alex's Losses
09-05-2013, 01:27 AM
i'm going to dip a butter knife in my Gates real quick - brb.

the fuck, are you in KC, Ryan?

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:34 AM
the ****, are you in KC, Ryan?

No - my mother was and returned w/ 4 ginormous bottles of Gates Original.

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Honest question, why do ppl continue to rank Gates so high? Ill admit ive only ate there twice but each time the quality and preperation was garbage.

I like their sauce, however, I have a strange obsession w/ smoked ham, shaved on a meat slicer paper thin. That's how I get down w/ cue, many times while in KC, don't get me wrong; I like ribs as well. But 7 bbq meals out of ten would be a beef and ham combo 'double decker' on wonder white bread.

rabblerouser
09-05-2013, 01:38 AM
KC BBQ is way overrated. Carolina BBQ is the best. Wise up fellas.

1. Carolina is only pork. nothing else.

2. y'all slather it in vinegar and cole slaw.

3. you can shut the fuck up now...

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:39 AM
after I watched Dick Vermeil's last game w/ Dad, we went to Gates near Cool Crest. We witnessed a 250+ BBW break a wooden chair by simply sitting down. Fell straight to the ground ..that really made the trip.

rabblerouser
09-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I'd say it's a top ten bbq sauce in all of the world.

it used to be, before they started putting corn syrup in it.

:doh!:

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 01:42 AM
1. Carolina is only pork. nothing else.

2. y'all slather it in vinegar and cole slaw.

3. you can shut the **** up now...

http://i.imgur.com/A2PCHts.jpg

rabblerouser
09-05-2013, 01:42 AM
after I watched Dick Vermeil's last game w/ Dad, we went to Gates near Cool Crest. We witnessed a 250+ BBW break a wooden chair by simply sitting down. Fell straight to the ground ..that really made the trip.

haha, awesome.

I once saw one at Lake Jacomo make the concrete bench at the picnic tables bow under the duress of her quite prodigious lardrolls...

TimBone
09-05-2013, 02:09 AM

I think Gates is highly overrated, and LC's is underrated. I prefer LC's sauce over Gates as well. OK Joe's is the best overall bbq, though.

TimBone
09-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Let me also add this....I'm from Texas, and live in Louisiana. Grew up on Texas BBQ. I have no shame in admitting that you folks in KC put us to shame when it comes to BBQ. We've been to KC seven times for games and training camp in the last three years, and every time we make the trip, we eat BBQ until we just about pop.

Coming back to Louisiana after being in KC is so depressing BBQ wise, you should see the shit they put on a plate down here and call BBQ. Embarrassing.

Kaepernick
09-05-2013, 02:25 AM
You people are evil, wicked, mean and nasty.

Here I am stuck in California where people think Arby's is good BBQ and I can't even have Zarda's let alone Jack Stack.

FWIW, my baby back ribs at Zarda's beat my pulled pork sandwich at Gates, but I would have to go back for a few meals to determine a winner there.

To top it off, I almost choked to death at Zarda's BBQ, but that's a different story for another time. Someday I will have to dust it off and tell it here.

I would kill to have any of your BBQ joints here near Sacramento.

You people are plain mean, enjoying your delicious KC BBQ while I remain enviously deprived in the land of fruits & nuts, sushi and Napa Valley wine.

TimBone
09-05-2013, 02:28 AM
You people are evil, wicked, mean and nasty.

Here I am stuck in California where people think Arby's is good BBQ and I can't even have Zarda's let alone Jack Stack.

FWIW, my baby back ribs at Zarda's beat my pulled pork sandwich at Gates, but I would have to go back for a few meals to determine a winner there.

To top it off, I almost choked to death at Zarda's BBQ, but that's a different story. Someday I will have to dust it off and tell it here.

I would kill to have any of your BBQ joints here near Sacramento.

You people are plain mean, enjoying your delicious KC BBQ while I remain enviously deprived in the land of fruits & nuts, sushi and Napa Valley wine.

Don't they eat a lot of sausage in California?

Kaepernick
09-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Don't they eat a lot of sausage in California?

You must be thinking of the San Francisco bay area. Out here in the red counties, no not so much. ;)

KCUnited
09-05-2013, 06:34 AM

McGonigles card holder, they're my butcher of choice, although the Broadway Butcher Shop is coming up. Their Q is decent, 2nd tier in KC, IMO.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2013, 06:41 AM
This is the second week this month I've spent in Memphis... safe to say I've been living off BBQ and had the best this town has to offer.

TribalElder
09-05-2013, 06:48 AM
ROFL

Zarda

Boiled Chicken
09-05-2013, 07:09 AM
This is the second week this month I've spent in Memphis... safe to say I've been living off BBQ and had the best this town has to offer.

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't done so already, take a break from the barbecue and head over to Gus's Fried Chicken. Pretty good.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Do yourself a favor, if you haven't done so already, take a break from the barbecue and head over to Gus's Fried Chicken. Pretty good.

I've heard that. We may go there today.

Reaper16
09-05-2013, 07:44 AM
I've heard that. We may go there today.

Yes. You have to go to Gus's. It is my first-choice meal when in Memphis.

Dave Lane
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Well, had another trip to KC over Labor Day and ate at another BBQ place, this time Zarda BBQ. It was very good (we had the 2 person platter) and would eat there again in a heartbeat. Here are my rankings from a guy who is from out of town. We will be back on the 16th and will eat at OK Joe's.

Later Dudes

1. Jack Stack
2. Zarda
3. KC Masterpiece (which is closed down now on Metcalf)
4. Gates

What a troll list this is.

Dave Lane
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM

For BBQ or in general?

Predarat
09-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Let me also add this....I'm from Texas, and live in Louisiana. Grew up on Texas BBQ. I have no shame in admitting that you folks in KC put us to shame when it comes to BBQ. We've been to KC seven times for games and training camp in the last three years, and every time we make the trip, we eat BBQ until we just about pop.

Coming back to Louisiana after being in KC is so depressing BBQ wise, you should see the shit they put on a plate down here and call BBQ. Embarrassing.

Texas BBQ > Tennessee BBQ, luckily we had a Texas BBQ guy move to town, his place is damn good. But hard to beat KC BBQ but this Texas place gets me through until I can get to KC again.

Baby Lee
09-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Texas BBQ > Tennessee BBQ, luckily we had a Texas BBQ guy move to town, his place is damn good. But hard to beat KC BBQ but this Texas place gets me through until I can get to KC again.

Carolina has grown on me sufficient to be a distant second, but I'd go Mongolian and Korean BBQ before TX or TN.

TimBone
09-05-2013, 01:05 PM

No doubt about it, Texas BBQ is good BBQ....just doesn't hold a candle to KC.

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I'll be in Memphis next week. Gus's is going to be first. Where else? We're going to eat at Binion's 1 night down in Tunica. The wife is wanting to eat at Deja Vu in Memphis. Who has the best BBQ? How is Corky's? I'm thinking about doing the Corky's buffet at Sam's Town in Tunica as well. Help a brutha out with some good spots to eat!

Stewie
09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
I'll be in Memphis next week. Gus's is going to be first. Where else? We're going to eat at Binion's 1 night down in Tunica. The wife is wanting to eat at Deja Vu in Memphis. Who has the best BBQ? How is Corky's? I'm thinking about doing the Corky's buffet at Sam's Town in Tunica as well. Help a brutha out with some good spots to eat!

Interstate BBQ. It's the original Neely BBQ joint.

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Interstate BBQ. It's the original Neely BBQ joint.

That is on the main drag on the way to Tunica. Since we'll be staying in Tunica, that will be an easy spot to hit. I may pick some of that up on our way in the very first night.

Predarat
09-05-2013, 01:22 PM

The Original Corky's is decent, plus you can do ribs with half dry rub, half wet. Not bad but not a worthy priority either. Rendezvous is pretty damn good too.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2013, 01:24 PM

I've spent about two weeks in the past month in Memphis and have eaten barbecue for at least lunch or dinner at a different place every day I've been here.

Interstate is good, but I haven't been there is a couple years. Central BBQ or The Barbecue Shoppe are the best (I like Shoppe the best)... Rendezvous is for the tourists, and Corky's is good enough, but it's the worst I've had here. Cozy Corner is good, too (get the Cornish game hen or the rib tips). At some point, you have to try a barbecued bologna sandwich. It's a Memphis special, tastes nothing like bologna, and is out-freaking-standing.

The Blues City Cafe on Beale is great, Soul Fish Cafe is also great (get the okra, hand-breaded and fried).

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 01:25 PM
The ratings for Interstate are hideous. I mean hideous.

Stewie
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
The ratings for Interstate are hideous. I mean hideous.

Where did you see this? YELP reviews give them 4 out of 5 stars.

You have to remember... people with a bad experience are far more likely to post a review, so 4 out of 5 on YELP is pretty good.

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Where did you see this? YELP reviews give them 4 out of 5 stars.

You have to remember... people with a bad experience are far more likely to post a review, so 4 out of 5 on YELP is pretty good.

Trip advisor. Rated something like 388th out of 1200 restaurants. Tons and tons of bad reviews. I'll probably check it out anyways, because I've heard so much about it, but check them out.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Trip advisor. Rated something like 388th out of 1200 restaurants. Tons and tons of bad reviews. I'll probably check it out anyways, because I've heard so much about it, but check them out.

I think Central and The Barbecue Shoppe are both better, FWIW.

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I think Central and The Barbecue Shoppe are both better, FWIW.

Central has HUGE ratings on Trip Advisor. I wanted to check that out for sure.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Central has HUGE ratings on Trip Advisor. I wanted to check that out for sure.

If you stay downtown, take the tram there. You probably don't want to park down there...... :D

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 02:06 PM
WTF is this BBQ Spaghetti? It doesn't look all that appetizing, yet everyone has it.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2013, 02:07 PM
WTF is this BBQ Spaghetti? It doesn't look all that appetizing, yet everyone has it.

Because it's goooooood.

Der Flöprer
09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Because it's goooooood.

I'll have to try it.

HonestChieffan
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
2,3, 4. All suck

lcarus
09-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I think Gates is highly overrated, and LC's is underrated. I prefer LC's sauce over Gates as well. OK Joe's is the best overall bbq, though.

That's the only thing I gather from the bbq threads on CP. LC's is underrated.

aturnis
09-05-2013, 10:21 PM

I bet she blamed the chair.

Simply Red
09-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I bet she blamed the chair.

we had to turn away - but no loud or disgruntled feedback from her, I think she was hurt.