PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Iranian president raises stakes against Israel

petegz28
09-18-2009, 08:10 AM
TEHRAN (Reuters) - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has raised the stakes against Israel by describing the Holocaust as a lie, just as world powers are trying to decide how to deal with the nuclear ambitions of an Iran in political turmoil.

"The pretext (Holocaust) for the creation of the Zionist regime (Israel) is false ... It is a lie based on an unprovable and mythical claim," he told worshippers at Tehran University at the end of an annual anti-Israel "Qods (Jerusalem) Day" rally.

"Confronting the Zionist regime is a national and religious duty."

Ahmadinejad's anti-Western speeches and comments on the Holocaust have in the past caused an international outcry and isolated Iran which is at loggerheads with the West over its disputed nuclear programme.

The hardline president warned leaders of Western-allied Arab and Muslim countries about dealing with Israel.

"This regime (Israel) will not last long. Do not tie your fate to it ... This regime has no future. Its life has come to an end," he said in a speech broadcast live on state radio.

His fresh comments came ahead of his appearance at the United Nations General Assembly next week and before Tehran attends talks on Oct. 1 with major powers worried about the Islamic Republic's nuclear strategy.

Western powers are concerned by what they have called Tehran's defiance and "point-blank refusal" to suspend uranium enrichment and address the issue as demanded by U.N. Security Council resolutions since 2006. Continued...

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-42553620090918

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:12 AM
More Neo Conservative propaganda. We're should be afraid of a second rate country, a revanchist Russia, an Iraq with no army and navy. It never ends with those at the root of these reports. I tell ya' this is the paranoia of anti-social personalities are work in our country. The state needs to demonize and create enemies to stay in power and take more power.

petegz28
09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
More Neo Conservative propaganda. We're should be afraid of a second rate country, a revanchist Russia, an Iraq with no army and navy. It never ends with those at the root of these reports. I tell ya' this is the paranoia of anti-social personalities are work in our country. The state needs to demonize and create enemies to stay in power and take more power.

Reuter's=neocon?

Sorry, I am not buying that one, BEP. :harumph:

Mr. Flopnuts
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM

Fear mongering is the Republican way these days. They do it because they know it works. They could never get poor, non Christian rednecks to vote for them without it.

petegz28
09-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Fear mongering is the Republican way these days. They do it because they know it works. They could never get poor, non Christian rednecks to vote for them without it.

Don't kid yourself, the Left plays the fear mongering card plenty.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Don't kid yourself, the Left plays the fear mongering card plenty.

Absolutely. They've seen the effectiveness of it. I'd like to make people pass a current events test before letting them vote. Yeah, that's right. I'm prejudiced. I don't think stupid people should be allowed to vote.

wild1
09-18-2009, 08:21 AM
More Neo Conservative propaganda.

"The pretext (Holocaust) for the creation of the Zionist regime (Israel) is false ... It is a lie based on an unprovable and mythical claim," he told worshippers at Tehran University at the end of an annual anti-Israel "Qods (Jerusalem) Day" rally.

"Confronting the Zionist regime is a national and religious duty."

This is propaganda? He doesn't really believe this?

blaise
09-18-2009, 08:22 AM

Signed,
Democrats telling everyone the world is about to crumble unless they're elected

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:22 AM

Are you suggesting that a nuclear-armed Iran is not a threat to, at the very least, Israel?

blaise
09-18-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure he'd like to see the people of Israel dead, but I don't read it as him saying the holocaust is a lie, but more that using the holocaust as a platform to create the state of Israel was a lie, and that their claim to the land is a lie. It's probably splitting hairs though, because either way his goal is probably the same.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Signed,
Democrats telling everyone the world is about to crumble unless they're elected

Well, last fall it was accurate. ;)

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Reuter's=neocon?

Sorry, I am not buying that one, BEP. :harumph:

Reuters itself no. But they have to get their reports from somewhere. And if you don't think false reports get placed on the newswires then I have a bridge to sell ya'! Even former CIA admits doing things like that to stir up public sentiment.

Sorry, you're playing right into the same hands that led us into Iraq.

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Reuters itself no. But they have to get their reports from somewhere. And if you don't think false reports get placed on the newswires then I have a bridge to sell ya'! Even former CIA admits doing things like that to stir up public sentiment.

Sorry, you're playing right into the same hands that led us into Iraq.

Yes, I'm sure the IAEA is in cahoots with the NeoCons.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Are you suggesting that a nuclear-armed Iran is not a threat to, at the very least, Israel?

They're more likely to want to light up Tel Aviv but MADD also works since Israel has over 200 nukes too. Additionally, I think they're less likely to use that tactic and have such an act traced back their address on it as they know it means they'll be annilhated.

Terrorism works better for them ...it just wears their opposition down over a longer period of time. If they do have one, it's more logical that it's for defensive reasons since the Bush Doctrine revved up the arms race. They had a nation who hates them invade one neighbor illegally and the same nation go into the other neighbor to their East. Although, that could be looked at with mixed views since AQ is also their enemy. But they're not there anymore and we still are. Get the picture now from putting yourself in their shoes to see how things could be perceived? It's all about perception.

Bah! This is propaganda. Another link in implementing the NeoCon's "Clean Break" report for remaking the entire ME. A massive left wing social engineering program. The purpose of war is to restructure power and/or territory.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, I'm sure the IAEA is in cahoots with the NeoCons.

IAEA, as I linked in another thread is saying the opposite. Someone is altering IAEA or claiming they said this.

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
They're more likely to want to light up Tel Aviv but MADD also works since Israel has over 200 nukes too. Additionally, I think they're less likely to use that tactic and have such an act traced back their address on it as they know it means they'll be annilhated.

Terrorism works better for them ...it just wears their opposition down over a longer period of time. If they do have one, it's more logical that it's for defensive reasons since the Bush Doctrine revved up the arms race. They had a nation who hates them invade one neighbor illegally and the same nation go into the other neighbor to their East. Although, that could be looked at with mixed views since AQ is also their enemy. But they're not there anymore and we still are. Get the picture now from putting yourself in their shoes to see how things could be perceived? It's all about perception.

Bah! This is propaganda. Another link in implementing the NeoCon's "Clean Break" report for remaking the entire ME. A massive left wing social engineering program. The purpose of war is to restructure power and/or territory.

MADD only works when neither of the parties is bat-shit crazy enough to actually pull the trigger.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
fool me once shame on you
foolme twice shame on me

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
IAEA, as I linked in another thread is saying the opposite. Someone is altering IAEA or claiming they said this.

I don't understand. We and others know that Iran is enriching uranium. The Iranians fully admit that, too.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:44 AM
MADD only works when neither of the parties is bat-shit crazy enough to actually pull the trigger.

You don't think Stalin wasn't bat-shit crazy? You can be crazy and be a survivor. The mullahs don't get themselves involved in being suicide bombers, that's for other people.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't understand. We and others know that Iran is enriching uranium. The Iranians fully admit that, too.

So. They're a sovereign nation. They have a right to a defense too.
And they claim it's for energy which the treaty they signed allows for.

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
You don't think Stalin wasn't bat-shit crazy? You can be crazy and be a survivor. The mullahs don't get themselves involved in being suicide bombers, that's for other people.

Paranoid and sadistic? Sure. Crazy? I don't know.

Also, considering Iran's support of terrorists over the years, I think there's another side of Iran gaining nuclear arms that one must consider.

BigRedChief
09-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure he'd like to see the people of Israel dead, but I don't read it as him saying the holocaust is a lie, but more that using the holocaust as a platform to create the state of Israel was a lie, and that their claim to the land is a lie. It's probably splitting hairs though, because either way his goal is probably the same.
He has said many times that the holocaust is a lie. Completely made up. Didn't happen.

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:49 AM
So. They're a sovereign nation. They have a right to a defense too.
And they claim it's for energy which the treaty they signed allows for.

A nuclear weapon is not a defensive armament. And, do you really think that Iran would not provide such arms to their terrorist friends?

BigRedChief
09-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Paranoid and sadistic? Sure. Crazy? I don't know.

Also, considering Iran's support of terrorists over the years, I think there's another side of Iran gaining nuclear arms that one must consider.
nada chance of that happening. I bet you that when Obama gave "negoiating" until the end of the year to see if it worked with Iran, there was a back door deal for Israel not to attack its neuclear facilities until after that date.

Israel will go to full out war before it allows Iran the ability to make neculear weapons.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
A nuclear weapon is not a defensive armament. And, do you really think that Iran would not provide such arms to their terrorist friends?

Like i said yesterday according to the Nuclear non proliferation treaty we should be over there making sure they are only building power plants, if were not over there it's our fault since we helped write up the treaty.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Donger, please take your British Empire mentality back to England or become a real American patriot instead. Your choice.

pikesome
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Stalin never flew airplanes into buildings in downtown New York.

Your comparision is even more suspect when you consider that in communist Russia, and especially when Stalin was running things, you didn't shit without a signed pass from the gov. Even modern Islam is a polar opposite. Mullahs wield great influence and there is little structure controlling them. Even if Ahmadinejad and his people are concerned with MAD there has to be pockets that feel any price is worth paying and they could, possibly, be an Imam Khomeini away from the football.

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Like i said yesterday according to the Nuclear non proliferation treaty we should be over there making sure they are only building power plants, if were not over there it's our fault since we helped write up the treaty.

The Iranians won't even let the IAEA in to inspect.

Donger
09-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Donger, please take your British Empire mentality back to England or become a real American patriot instead. Your choice.

If being a "real American patriot" is what you are, I'd rather be jAZ.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 08:58 AM
If being a "real American patriot" is what you are, I'd rather be jAZ.

Okay, Alexander Hamilton!

Donger
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Okay, Alexander Hamilton!

Honestly, that's apropos for you. If you can't get out of the 1700s, do at least try to take a peek at the 1900s.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
The Iranians won't even let the IAEA in to inspect.

And just why is that?

I answer that for you:

Because the inspections are not set up to go into certain areas, just like they weren't in the UN Iraqi Inspections. It's omitted information like this that presents a half-truth and not the whole truth. It frames Iran, which is exactly what's being done.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Honestly, that's apropos for you. If you can't get out of the 1700s, do at least try to take a peek at the 1900s.

You're the one in the 1700's with the same mentality of Hamilton who wanted America to be like the British system world hegemony, empire and all. We Americans envisioned an entirely different model. It's really the newest one in history only the olde mentality keeps trying to usurp it.

Donger
09-18-2009, 09:03 AM
And just why is that?

I answer that for you:

Because the inspections are not set up to go into certain areas, just like they weren't in the UN Iraqi Inspections. It's omitted information like this that presents a half-truth and not the whole truth. It frames Iran, which is exactly what's being done.

Ah, it's a conspiracy. I knew it.

Donger
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
You're the one in the 1700's with the same mentality of Hamilton who wanted America to be like the British system world hegemony, empire and all. We Americans envisioned an entirely different model. It's really the newest one in history only the olde mentality keeps trying to usurp it.

Go churn your butter and be quiet.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Ah, it's a conspiracy. I knew it.

Nice deflection. I think someone needs a dictionary. You use this word incorrectly too. States lie and they lie regularly. And some conspiracies are true. What do you think 9/11 was? I suppose you were willing to think that Clinton threw his missiles as a wag the dog act when the Monica scandal broke though, right?

Don't forget it was Scott Ritter who was an inspector who lays this out because he was there.

It's not a conspiracy to see that the inspections have to be set up to inspect in a way that things can be proven. And that they currently don't which is overlooked.
Meanwhile, you're the one saying Iran is involved in a conspiracy to violate its treaty. Classic projection Donger.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 09:09 AM

So you got nuthin?

Oh, I don't even need a churn you old-fashioned white-wigged Hamiltonian. I can shake in a jar and make butter. Six year olds do that as science fair projects. Get with the latest technology, man.

Now take your wooden ship foreign policy back to England.

Donger
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
So you got nuthin?

I'm not the one living in fantasy land, where the rest of the world doesn't exist.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Oh so now your gonna use herd mentality?

Psst, I got news for you. The NeoCon propaganda you consistenly cite is the real fantasy world. They're not called delusional for nothin.' I mean look at their track record so far.

Donger
09-18-2009, 09:12 AM
And some conspiracies are true. What do you think 9/11 was?

Speaking of bat-shit crazy...

Norman Einstein
Absolutely. They've seen the effectiveness of it. I'd like to make people pass a current events test before letting them vote. Yeah, that's right. I'm prejudiced. I don't think stupid people should be allowed to vote.

Sure the did, FDR started playing the fear tactic in the 30's.

Donger
Oh so now your gonna use herd mentality?

If that is how you define reality, yes, of course.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Herd mentality was wrong on Iraq.

Sorry, I go by results.

patteeu
09-18-2009, 09:14 AM

ROFL

wild1
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ahUUXLN_lBFYJM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Mr.hat.jpg

Alexander Hamilton was the first NeoCon. Who was the second?

Norman Einstein
09-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Below you see part of a story from the discovery of the holocaust. (http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/stories/death-camps.htm)

On April 4, 1945, elements of the United States Army’s 89th Infantry Division and the 4th Armored Division captured the Ohrdruf concentration camp outside the town of Gotha in south central Germany. Although the Americans didn’t know it at the time, Ohrdruf was one of several sub-camps serving the Buchenwald extermination camp, which was close to the city of Weimar several miles north of Gotha. Ohrdruf was a holding facility for over 11,000 prisoners on their way to the gas chambers and crematoria at Buchenwald. A few days before the Americans arrived to liberate Ohrdruf, the SS guards had assembled all of the inmates who could walk and marched them off to Buchenwald. They left in the sub-camp more than a thousand bodies of prisoners who had died of bullet wounds, starvation, abuse, and disease. The scene was an indescribable horror even to the combat-hardened troops who captured the camp. Bodies were piled throughout the camp. There was evidence everywhere of systematic butchery. Many of the mounds of dead bodies were still smoldering from failed attempts by the departing SS guards to burn them. The stench was horrible.

When General Eisenhower learned about the camp, he immediately arranged to meet Generals Bradley and Patton at Ohrdruf on the morning of April 12th. By that time, Buchenwald itself had been captured. Consequently, Ike decided to extend the group’s visit to include a tour of the Buchenwald extermination camp the next day. Eisenhower also ordered every American soldier in the area who was not on the front lines to visit Ohrdruf and Buchenwald. He wanted them to see for themselves what they were fighting against.

During the camp inspections with his top commanders Eisenhower said that the atrocities were “beyond the American mind to comprehend.” He ordered that every citizen of the town of Gotha personally tour the camp and, after having done so, the mayor and his wife went home and hanged themselves. Later on Ike wrote to Mamie, “I never dreamed that such cruelty, bestiality, and savagery could really exist in this world.” He cabled General Marshall to suggest that he come to Germany and see these camps for himself. He encouraged Marshall to bring Congressmen and journalists with him. It would be many months before the world would know the full scope of the Holocaust — many months before they knew that the Nazi murder apparatus that was being discovered at Buchenwald and dozens of other death camps had slaughtered millions of innocent people.

General Eisenhower understood that many people would be unable to comprehend the full scope of this horror. He also understood that any human deeds that were so utterly evil might eventually be challenged or even denied as being literally unbelievable. For these reasons he ordered that all the civilian news media and military combat camera units be required to visit the camps and record their observations in print, pictures and film. As he explained to General Marshall, “I made the visit deliberately, in order to be in a position to give first-hand evidence of these things if ever, in the future, there develops a tendency to charge these allegations merely to ‘propaganda.’”

His prediction proved correct. When some groups, even today, attempt to deny that the Holocaust ever happened they are must confront the massive official record, including both written evidence and thousands of pictures, that Eisenhower ordered to be assembled when he saw what the Nazis had done.

FishingRod
09-18-2009, 10:03 AM
The Zealots that control Iran showed in the Iran Iraq war that they have no moral quandary in sacrificing hundreds of thousands of their own people if it serves their cause. I wouldn't put it past these people to blow up one of their own cities and try to frame Israel. That would be much safer than attacking them directly. It would solidify the entire Moslem world to again attack them and they would figure its better to loose a 5-10 million now and do away with them for good.
I find it humorous that the Arabs have given lip service to championing the poor pitiful Palestinians for the last 50 years. They actually had their own country until they and their Arab neighbors decided one small Jewish state was one too many. Well they all lost and many Palestinians were displaced. The funny thing is that none of their Arab allies wanted anything to do with them other than to use them for propaganda purposes. They damn sure weren't welcomed into Egypt, Syria, Jordan, or anyplace else with open arms. I realize the Israelis have not always behaved nicely and in fact they had terrorists of their own when they were trying to gain their independence, but It is unfortunate that the United Nations and United States didn't purchase Baja California and Create a Jewish State there instead. I assume the Jewish people would have bitched for a bit, decided it was better than nothing and then turned it into a modern western society. They wouldn't have spent the last 50 years at war with their neighbors.

But back to the topic ...
I think we westerners jump back and forth between dismissing different cultures as simple misguided groups and just believing everyone thinks they we we do. We are dealing with a society that is just plain different than ours and with a people that believe, with all their heart and soul, that to die in the service/defense of their God gets them a free pass into heaven. We, in general, value life and have a very hard time grasping that idea.

whatsmynameagain
09-18-2009, 10:07 AM

does anybody really think isreal would be nuked? reason i ask is because this land is deemed holy to the jews and muslims and i just cant see someone wanting to contaminate it with nuclear waste. they are essentially fighting for this land and so i think this is extremely relevent to the conflict.
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
does anybody really think isreal would be nuked? reason i ask is because this land is deemed holy to the jews and muslims and i just cant see someone wanting to contaminate it with nuclear waste. they are essentially fighting for this land and so i think this is extremely relevent to the conflict.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it killed a bunch of Jews in the process? Sure. It's not like the land would be uninhabitable, anyway.

Hydrae
09-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Stalin never flew airplanes into buildings in downtown New York.

Your comparision is even more suspect when you consider that in communist Russia, and especially when Stalin was running things, you didn't shit without a signed pass from the gov. Even modern Islam is a polar opposite. Mullahs wield great influence and there is little structure controlling them. Even if Ahmadinejad and his people are concerned with MAD there has to be pockets that feel any price is worth paying and they could, possibly, be an Imam Khomeini away from the football.

Neither did Iran

Norman Einstein
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Radical Islam has no conscience, they are a cause unto themselves.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Neither did Iran

:clap: Exactly

pikesome
09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Neither did Iran

Thanks.

I'm not sure you actually read what I typed though. Or the comments of BEP and Donger that preceded it.

BEP says it's alright (paraphrasing here) because Israel has them. Somewhat along the lines of US-USSR MAD. Donger points out that MAD only works if one side isn't "bat-shit crazy". BEP points out that Stalin was crazy too. To which I made my post.

It's not, in my mind, about Iran having them, it's about a country that's already had one fundamentalist revolution having them. Even worse is the fact that the religion the revolutionaries were from also has practitioners that blow themselves up to kill and terrorize. If there ever was a country that should cause the rest of the world to step in over a nuclear arms program Iran would appear to be it.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks.

I'm not sure you actually read what I typed though. Or the comments of BEP and Donger that preceded it.

BEP says it's alright (paraphrasing here) because Israel has them. Somewhat along the lines of US-USSR MAD. Donger points out that MAD only works if one side isn't "bat-shit crazy". BEP points out that Stalin was crazy too. To which I made my post.

It's not, in my mind, about Iran having them, it's about a country that's already had one fundamentalist revolution having them. Even worse is the fact that the religion the revolutionaries were from also has practitioners that blow themselves up to kill and terrorize. If there ever was a country that should cause the rest of the world to step in over a nuclear arms program Iran would appear to be it.
By your reasoning the United States is bat-shit crazy because we're the only power that has ever used nukes. And we did so before anyone else had them. A clear case of no balance of power preventing their use.
Also Iran has wanted a nuclear-free ME.

patteeu
09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
The Zealots that control Iran showed in the Iran Iraq war that they have no moral quandary in sacrificing hundreds of thousands of their own people if it serves their cause. I wouldn't put it past these people to blow up one of their own cities and try to frame Israel. That would be much safer than attacking them directly. It would solidify the entire Moslem world to again attack them and they would figure its better to loose a 5-10 million now and do away with them for good.
I find it humorous that the Arabs have given lip service to championing the poor pitiful Palestinians for the last 50 years. They actually had their own country until they and their Arab neighbors decided one small Jewish state was one too many. Well they all lost and many Palestinians were displaced. The funny thing is that none of their Arab allies wanted anything to do with them other than to use them for propaganda purposes. They damn sure weren't welcomed into Egypt, Syria, Jordan, or anyplace else with open arms. I realize the Israelis have not always behaved nicely and in fact they had terrorists of their own when they were trying to gain their independence, but It is unfortunate that the United Nations and United States didn't purchase Baja California and Create a Jewish State there instead. I assume the Jewish people would have bitched for a bit, decided it was better than nothing and then turned it into a modern western society. They wouldn't have spent the last 50 years at war with their neighbors.

But back to the topic ...
I think we westerners jump back and forth between dismissing different cultures as simple misguided groups and just believing everyone thinks they we we do. We are dealing with a society that is just plain different than ours and with a people that believe, with all their heart and soul, that to die in the service/defense of their God gets them a free pass into heaven. We, in general, value life and have a very hard time grasping that idea.

TWNBTS! ;)

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Did you say something?