PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues The 50 most influential commentators.

Direckshun
09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Via the Atlantic.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/people/index/selected/all

1. Paul Krugman
2. Rush Limbaugh
3. George Will
4. Thomas Friedman
5. David Brooks
6. Charles Krauthammer
7. Glenn Beck
8. Frank Rich
9. Andrew Sullivan
10. Karl Rove
11. Sean Hannity
12. David Broder
13. Peggy Noonan
14. Rachel Maddow
15. Arianna Huffington
16. Fareed Zakaria
17. Maureen Dowd
18. E.J. Dionne
19. Bill O'Reilly
20. Keith Olbermann
21. Kathleen Parker
22. Glenn Greenwald
23. Nicholas Kristof
24. William Kristol
25. Robert Samuelson
26. Dick Morris
27. Eugene Robinson
28. David Ignatius
29. Josh Marshall
30. Mark Levin
31. Holman Jenkins
32. Bill Moyers
33. Richard Cohen
34. Jonah Goldberg
35. Gail Collins
36. Ruth Marcus
37. Steven Pearlstein
38. Joe Klein
39. Anne Applebaum
40. Michael Kinsley
41. Matthew Yglesias
42. Joe Nocera
43. Ronald Brownstein
44. Steve Benen
45. Lou Dobbs
46. Bret Stephens
47. Kimberley Strassel
48. Harold Meyerson
49. Ezra Klein
50. Hendrik Hertzberg

blaise
09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
You know they wanted to tweak Olbermann.

Dallas Chief
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Wow. No Michael Savage, no Michelle Malkin, and no Bill Maher. I'm not saying they belong. Just interesting that they are not on there.

Brock
09-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Let's be realistic, nobody is above Limbaugh.

wild1
09-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Anybody above Limbaugh invalidates the list. There's no question he's the most influential commentator, maybe person, in politics, outside of the President.

Direckshun
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Anybody above Limbaugh invalidates the list. There's no question he's the most influential commentator, maybe person, in politics, outside of the President.

You mean he's not just an entertainer?

CoMoChief
09-18-2009, 11:03 AM
No Michael Savage or Neil Boortz? I love Boortz.

wild1
09-18-2009, 11:23 AM
You mean he's not just an entertainer?

Of course not.

All the lunacy that has gone on in this country since last fall and accelerated in January has catapulted him into at least the #2 spot. He's more influential than ever before.

He became the leader of the leaderless, given the leadership vacuum in the incapacitated Republican party.

BucEyedPea
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow! A list of the left and the left written by a left source. Amazing.

donkhater
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Sadly, no John Stossel, either. He's not a great writer, but his points still come acroos well. I'll be interested to see how his new Fox show evolves.

Saul Good
09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
This list is fantastic

14. Rachel Maddow's show: 996,000 total viewers
19. The O’Reilly Factor: 3,303,000 viewers

New York Times circulation: 1,039,031
Rush Limbaugh's audience: 25,000,000

Terribilis
09-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Alfred Nobel might disagree

Saul Good
09-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Alfred Nobel might disagree

Are you implying that the guy who invented dynamite is a more influential commentator than Rush Limbaugh? I don't get it.

Terribilis
09-18-2009, 06:02 PM
sorry...
Paul Krugman

The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2008

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/2008/krugman-lecture.html

Saul Good
09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
sorry...
Paul Krugman

The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2008

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/2008/krugman-lecture.html

Al Gore won a Nobel Prize. So did Jimmy Carter. Hell, Hitler was Time's Man of the Year. Those awards are about as stilted as this list.

Terribilis
09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Al Gore won a Nobel Prize. So did Jimmy Carter. Hell, Hitler was Time's Man of the Year. Those awards are about as stilted as this list.
you're equating time man of the year, to the nobel prize?

Saul Good
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
you're equating time man of the year, to the nobel prize?

It depends which Nobel prize. Nobel prize in science? No. Nobel peace prize? BFD except for the cash award that comes with it.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
How did Killer Clown not make that list, did i lose my burst?

Pioli Zombie
09-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Rush Limbaugh is a stupid, fat, moron and if 25 million people listen to that jackass they are morons too.
This is guy who got thrown off ESPN for his assinine comments about McNabb so he has a history. His "Barack Obama's america" comment revealed he's nothing more than blowhard racist at best and/or cynically stoking the fires of racism to appeal to the racists out there at worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
09-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Rush Limbaugh is a stupid, fat, moron and if 25 million people listen to that jackass they are morons too.
This is guy who got thrown off ESPN for his assinine comments about McNabb so he has a history. His "Barack Obama's america" comment revealed he's nothing more than blowhard racist at best and/or cynically stoking the fires of racism to appeal to the racists out there at worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

I take back everything I said. Liberals DO want an intelligent dialogue and only cry "racist" under the rarest of circumstances lest the word loses its impact the way "terrorism" did.

Pioli Zombie
09-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I take back everything I said. Liberals DO want an intelligent dialogue and only cry "racist" under the rarest of circumstances lest the word loses its impact the way "terrorism" did.
Okay sarcasm boy why isn't it racist for him to say "in Barack Obamas america black children beat up white children"? So because a Black man was elected President your white children are all in danger suddenly?

Naah, not racist at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thig Lyfe
09-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Okay sarcasm boy why isn't it racist for him to say "in Barack Obamas america black children beat up white children"? So because a Black man was elected President your white children are all in danger suddenly?

Naah, not racist at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

How many times to we have to explain it? Only black people can be racist now!

Saul Good
09-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Naah, not racist at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

link?

patteeu
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Paul Krugman? Paul Krugman?!? ROFL

Amnorix
09-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Hard to believe anyone tops Limbaugh. Go to 10 malls across America and take a poll of how many people read Krugman versus listen to Limbaugh. I'd be pretty freaking stunned if Krugman had a wider audience.

That said, maybe the argument is more nuanced -- that Limbaugh's influence is limited to those who would only vote Republican anyway, whereas Krugman's appeal is more across-the-board and thus more likely to sway an issue. Or something...

:shrug:

patteeu
09-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Hard to believe anyone tops Limbaugh. Go to 10 malls across America and take a poll of how many people read Krugman versus listen to Limbaugh. I'd be pretty freaking stunned if Krugman had a wider audience.

That said, maybe the argument is more nuanced -- that Limbaugh's influence is limited to those who would only vote Republican anyway, whereas Krugman's appeal is more across-the-board and thus more likely to sway an issue. Or something...

:shrug:

The only way I could rationalize it would be if Krugman were given the nod over Limbaugh because the Republicans are almost completely powerless in Washington DC and because, maybe, Krugman has more influence over those who are currently holding the levers of power.

wild1
09-21-2009, 08:37 AM

You couldn't find 2 people out of a hundred at the mall who could even tell you who Krugman is.