PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Only 28% Of High School Students Are Familiar With The Constitution

KILLER_CLOWN
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Frightening results of Constitution Day survey indicate vast majority of students have little understanding of political system

Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Friday, Sept 18, 2009

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.”
-Thomas Jefferson

A Constitution Day survey commissioned by the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs (OCPA) has found that the vast majority of high school students do not know that the Constitution represents the supreme law of the United States.

When asked the question What is the supreme law of the land? only 28% of public high school students in Oklahoma answered correctly.

In addition, over 75% were unable to identify the first president of the United States as George Washington, with 10% believing it was either George W. Bush or Barack Obama.

Around 75% were also unable to identify the name of the first ten amendments to the Constitution, with small percentages answer “The New Deal” and “The Ten Commandments”.

Alarmingly, just 14% were able to correctly state that the author of the Declaration of Independence was Thomas Jefferson. While 34% said they didn’t know, 7% thought that Barack Obama wrote it and 2% frighteningly believed that it had been drawn up by Michael Jackson.

11% of the students thought that the two major political parties in the U.S. were the Republicans and the Communists.

The questions, posed by national research firm, Strategic Vision, are taken from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services exam, the test that all candidates to become U.S. citizens must take.

As noted by the OCPA in their write up of the survey results, while around 92% of the people who take the citizenship test pass on their first attempt, only 2.8% of the students surveyed would have passed the citizenship test.

The results of the survey are displayed below, for further breakdown see the write up:

http://www.ocpathink.org/sites/ocpathink/uploads/images/0909Table1.jpg

Out of 1000 students surveyed, only 6 of them got more than 7 questions correct, and only 108 got more than half of the questions correct.

“In short, Oklahoma’s public high-school students have displayed a profound level of ignorance regarding American history, government, and geography.” the OCPA concludes.

The OCPA also notes that when the same survey was done recently in Arizona, a similar figure, only 3.5%, of Arizona’s high-school students passed the citizenship test.

http://www.ocpathink.org/publications/perspective-archives/september-2009-volume-16-number-9/?module=perspective&id=2321

http://www.prisonplanet.com/only-28-of-high-school-students-are-familiar-with-the-constitution.html

Reaper16
09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Repost. But ROFL @ those 11% of kids who think that the two major political parties are Republican and Communist.

KCTitus
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Good...so they believe that the right to healthcare is IN the Constitution. Future Obama voters.

Jenson71
09-18-2009, 10:31 PM
The what?

KILLER_CLOWN
09-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Repost. But ROFL @ those 11% of kids who think that the two major political parties are Republican and Communist.

10% thought the 1st president of the United States was either George W. Bush or Barack Obama. I mean come on we as parents need to do a better job of educating our kids, you had better believe i am since we cant count on the schools to teach them much of anything.

Reaper16
09-18-2009, 10:54 PM
You have to think that some kids didn't take this quiz seriously at all and wrote joke answers. If something didn't matter as far as passing a class, I wrote joke answers all of the time. One time in middle school, on the state standardized test essay, I argued that we should, instead of burying our deceased elderly, feed their flesh to animals and fashion tools out of their bones.

RJ
09-18-2009, 11:04 PM
You have to think that some kids didn't take this quiz seriously at all and wrote joke answers. If something didn't matter as far as passing a class, I wrote joke answers all of the time. One time in middle school, on the state standardized test essay, I argued that we should, instead of burying our deceased elderly, feed their flesh to animals and fashion tools out of their bones.

That's how we did it when I was a kid. And we were happy that way! Hell, grandma didn't mind....

Chiefshrink
09-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Thankyou Bill Ayers and the NEA for all your "marxist efforts" in denouncing America and capitalism these past 25yrs in our public school system.

Reaper16
09-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Thankyou Bill Ayers and the NEA for all your "marxist efforts" in denouncing America and capitalism these past 25yrs in our public school system.
That seems to be a gross mischaracterization of reality.

stevieray
09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
by design

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 01:27 AM
That seems to be a gross mischaracterization of reality.

Alarmingly, just 14% were able to correctly state that the author of the Declaration of Independence was Thomas Jefferson. While 34% said they didn’t know, 7% thought that Barack Obama wrote it and 2% frighteningly believed that it had been drawn up by Michael Jackson.

So if you were joking around would you honestly have put Michael Jackson or Obama? I could see like mickey mouse or the green lantern but i doubt you would put down Jackson or Obama.

Reaper16
09-19-2009, 12:56 PM

So if you were joking around would you honestly have put Michael Jackson or Obama? I could see like mickey mouse or the green lantern but i doubt you would put down Jackson or Obama.
Why did you quote the post of mine that you did? It makes it seem like you are defending sportsshrink's comment.

I'm not going to speculate what joke name I would write down if I were some kid living in a state that I've never lived in. That seems futile.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Why did you quote the post of mine that you did? It makes it seem like you are defending sportsshrink's comment.

I'm not going to speculate what joke name I would write down if I were some kid living in a state that I've never lived in. That seems futile.

Only because i was addressing your earlier post i guess, but my point still stands i don't think kids would be joking writing those 2 people in there.

Reaper16
09-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Only because i was addressing your earlier post i guess, but my point still stands i don't think kids would be joking writing those 2 people in there.
And I don't see how you could say that with any kind of certainty. Its just so speculative.

NewChief
09-19-2009, 02:43 PM
The best part is that if they were actually teaching the Constitution and such, infowars would put up a post about government brainwashing our kids to be slaves of the system.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 02:53 PM
The best part is that if they were actually teaching the Constitution and such, infowars would put up a post about government brainwashing our kids to be slaves of the system.

I'm sure. :spock:

Actually they may have put a story out about how great that place would be for teaching the supreme law of the land.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2009, 02:56 PM
When asked the question What is the supreme law of the land? only 28% of public high school students in Oklahoma answered correctly.
I wonder how many, including adults, know that it's only the supreme law, where powers have been delegated to it? Heh!

Other than that, my 15 year old just burst out laughing reading this OP. She just had one of her exams on the Dec and part of the Constitution' ( just the basics).
Next, we go into full swing on: the tax & spend clause, the necessary and proper clause, the full faith and credit law and the commerce law, the 9th, 10th, 14th, 16th and 17th amendments.
Then Marbury vs Madison, McCulloch v. Maryland, textualist interpretation, originalist interpretation, and interpretation used by heretics —> living and breathing written on rubber Tribe-ish interpretation.

NewChief
09-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm sure. :spock:

Actually they may have put a story out about how great that place would be for teaching the supreme law of the land.

One of our board libertarians once told me how Civics class is nothing but government brainwashing.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 03:01 PM
One of our board libertarians once told me how Civics class is nothing but government brainwashing.

Well like everything else it all depends on what is actually being taught.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Well, that would be true because when you have NEA teachers doing it they'll probably get the interpretation methods used by heretics. Best left to Sunday school teachers. :evil:

NewChief
09-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Well like everything else it all depends on what is actually being taught.

Well, civics has just about been stripped out of the curriculum. The irony of this person's objections is that most civics programs have a whole unit on recognizing and seeing through political propaganda and such built into the curriculum. By secondary, that starts to fall under "media awareness" and becomes the job of English teachers, because we have no real civics programs.

NewChief
09-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, that would be true because when you have NEA teachers doing it they'll probably get the interpretation methods used by heretics. Best left to Sunday school teachers. :evil:

Case in point. If they -were- teaching the Constitution, people like BEP would bitch about -how- they're teaching the constitution. The loony fringe just likes to bitch. :p

I wonder if infowars or prisonplanet ever put up a positive article like, "Look at this beautiful thing that happened today!"

BucEyedPea
09-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Case in point. If they -were- teaching the Constitution, people like BEP would bitch about -how- they're teaching the constitution. The loony fringe just likes to bitch. :pSo you got nothing 'eh? The loony fringe is in power and their minions work in the govt schools. :) And of course I'd bitch about it just as my last post indicated. Anything can be twisted and abused. But at least know the less controversial items like who wrote what and who the first president is. Those answers clearly, show the loony fringe is working our schools.

I wonder if infowars or prisonplanet ever put up a positive article like, "Look at this beautiful thing that happened today!"

No news is good news. You should know better.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Case in point. If they -were- teaching the Constitution, people like BEP would bitch about -how- they're teaching the constitution. The loony fringe just likes to bitch. :p

They mainly exist to cover news and scrutinize because the MSM does a good job of fluffing things up. It's true Infowars and Prison planet tend to avoid fluff pieces since that market share is already saturated.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, civics has just about been stripped out of the curriculum. The irony of this person's objections is that most civics programs have a whole unit on recognizing and seeing through political propaganda and such built into the curriculum.
Which could also be done in a propaganda'ish way as well.
Hey, at least my kid is getting a field trip to Washington DC for her civics course.

banyon
09-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I wonder how many, including adults, know that it's only the supreme law, where powers have been delegated to it? Heh!

Other than that, my 15 year old just burst out laughing reading this OP. She just had one of her exams on the Dec and part of the Constitution' ( just the basics).
Next, we go into full swing on: the tax & spend clause, the necessary and proper clause, the full faith and credit law and the commerce law, the 9th, 10th, 14th, 16th and 17th amendments.
Then Marbury vs Madison, McCulloch v. Maryland, textualist interpretation, originalist interpretation, and interpretation used by heretics —> living and breathing written on rubber Tribe-ish interpretation.

Yes, the only way to interpret and teach the Constitution is to ignore 200+ years of its history!

:rolleyes:

NewChief
09-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Yes, the only way to interpret and teach the Constitution is to ignore 200+ years of its history!

:rolleyes:

I love it when BEP vehemently denounces the brainwashing of public schools then proudly goes on to describe all the fringe views she's filling her kids' heads with. Each to their own (hey! I read my kids Das Kapital before bed every night), but her pride in it is just precious.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I love it when BEP vehemently denounces the brainwashing of public schools then proudly goes on to describe all the fringe views she's filling her kids' heads with. Each to their own (hey! I read my kids Das Kapital before bed every night), but her pride in it is just precious.

I didn't say anything about brainwashing. I said I'd teach the 3 ways it's interpreted. Of course I'd say why I think mine's correct while saying what's wrong with the Hamiltonians/positivists and other usurpers and why Jefferson was better.

But nice try at the ad hominem. Now go teach your kids how Beck is taking over the country. LMAO

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I didn't say anything about brainwashing. I said I'd teach the 3 ways it's interpreted. Of course I'd say why I think mine's correct while saying what's wrong with the Hamiltonians/positivists and other usurpers and why Jefferson was better.

But nice try at the ad hominem. Now go teach your kids how Beck is taking over the country. LMAO

You do know your thinking/teaching is certainly Racist and will not be tolerated right? :D

banyon
09-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Good lord will you ever understand what ad hominem means?

Baby Lee
09-19-2009, 04:47 PM

with corn?

Reaper16
09-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm going to sharpen my claws for an ad homarid attack.

JohnnyV13
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM

BEP, are you teaching her how these clauses are CURRENTLY interpreted by the courts, or how you think they SHOULD be interpreted from a libertarin point of view?

The problem with the second is it would make current decisions seem incomprehensible. One value of understanding constitutional concepts is having some feel for how cases will be decided (which has very definate economic value).

Baby Lee
09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm going to sharpen my claws for an ad homarid attack.

That sounds like hominem, but it doesn't mean the same thing. Wish there was a word to describe what I'm talking about.

Reaper16
09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
That sounds like hominem, but it doesn't mean the same thing. Wish there was a word to describe what I'm talking about.
My post was a lobster joke, building off of the food-joke that you made.

Baby Lee
09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
My post was a lobster joke, building off of the food-joke that you made.

And mine was a homonym joke building off yours, but thanks for making me ruin it's sly slow burn by laying it out there in express terms.

Killjoy!!

BucEyedPea
09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
BEP, are you teaching her how these clauses are CURRENTLY interpreted by the courts, or how you think they SHOULD be interpreted from a libertarin point of view?

The problem with the second is it would make current decisions seem incomprehensible. One value of understanding constitutional concepts is having some feel for how cases will be decided (which has very definate economic value).

Like I said, I teach how an originalist interprets it, a textualist interprets it and how a heretic inteprets it. There's nothing wrong with the second at all except that you have a bias toward precedent even when it's error. I tell her those versions and why it's error....including how we are supposed to be free and how most of the document has been eroded away by people who think as you do with this post. Heck, she's already read parts of Hamilton curse after reading the white washed crap about him first and came away disfavoring him after getting two different pov.

People from the originalist/strict constructionist pov do survive in life—even do quite well. She's going to have to educate and challenge her peers as a leader. Like my gf in Boston who taught Con Law and is still an originalist does to us.
You act as if all precedents follow the Constitution as written or intended....it doesn't. Economic value....my arse on that point. You're positions are too statist for me. I prefer liberty through small govt.

orange
09-19-2009, 06:02 PM

with corn?

... and beans!

http://media.npr.org/kitchen/2007/07/limas/succotash200.jpg http://www.winelife365.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sylvester.jpg
sufferin' succotash!

RJ
09-19-2009, 06:35 PM
And mine was a homonym joke building off yours, but thanks for making me ruin it's sly slow burn by laying it out there in express terms.

Killjoy!!

In New Mexico we call it posole.

orange
09-19-2009, 06:51 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_59tXa9YyvJs/RpZtvTfSRHI/AAAAAAAAAdk/fdQTP62GEeI/s400/DSC03294.JPG http://www.cartype.com/pics/362/small/speedy_gonzales.jpg

paciente posole!

Baby Lee
09-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Onomasiological humor is lost on you guys.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2009, 09:46 PM
All of you making jokes must realise it's not funny when it's personal, My great great great great grandfather choked on a piece of hominem and died. His name was George zip.

RJ
09-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Onomasiological humor is lost on you guys.

Yeah, I've always said that.

RJ
09-19-2009, 10:11 PM
All of you making jokes must realise it's not funny when it's personal, My great great great great grandfather choked on a piece of hominem and died. His name was George zip.

Be thankful that he tapped great great great great grandma's ass before he choked on the hominem. Perhaps if he'd added some lime and cilantro he'd have lived longer.

RJ
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_59tXa9YyvJs/RpZtvTfSRHI/AAAAAAAAAdk/fdQTP62GEeI/s400/DSC03294.JPG http://www.cartype.com/pics/362/small/speedy_gonzales.jpg

paciente posole!

Hell yeah. I might have some for breakfast.

orange
09-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Hell yeah. I might have some for breakfast.

That does look good!

JohnnyV13
09-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Like I said, I teach how an originalist interprets it, a textualist interprets it and how a heretic inteprets it. There's nothing wrong with the second at all except that you have a bias toward precedent even when it's error. I tell her those versions and why it's error....including how we are supposed to be free and how most of the document has been eroded away by people who think as you do with this post. Heck, she's already read parts of Hamilton curse after reading the white washed crap about him first and came away disfavoring him after getting two different pov.

People from the originalist/strict constructionist pov do survive in life—even do quite well. She's going to have to educate and challenge her peers as a leader. Like my gf in Boston who taught Con Law and is still an originalist does to us.
You act as if all precedents follow the Constitution as written or intended....it doesn't. Economic value....my arse on that point. You're positions are too statist for me. I prefer liberty through small govt.

The point of my statement is that I suspect you're so biased toward an "originalist" view that you won't teach how to reason to decisions the way the current court applies the law. You might teach the "heretic" view, but bias might lead you to simply do nothing but discredit its internal logic, leaving one unable to predict what sort of decisions a "heretic" will make. (you modern constitutional analysis as "heretic" is inherently prejudicial and tends to create the exact situation i'm talking about).

That's what I meant by "economic value". Being able to predict what decisions the court is likely to reach, or the RANGE of likely decisions, can be extremely important to a business. I didn't mean to suggest an "originalist" couldn't economically survive. I just thought that if you were going to go to the trouble of teaching a 15 year old constitutional interpretation, you might as well maximize the value of the endeavor.

BucEyedPea
09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
The point of my statement is that I suspect you're so biased toward an "originalist" view that you won't teach how to reason to decisions the way the current court applies the law.
Take a look in a mirror, foreigner. You're so biased in your own point of view that you can't read what I wrote. Or so biased you cringe at the idea of anyone having a limited govt pov that Gasp! Would be imparted to a child.

Further, there is no such thing as no bias in anyone including teachers in our public schools, their curriculums or in our universities. I also have a right to be biased when it comes to teaching what values I want to my own child including in education which our SC has upheld. I'm going to teach her what the usurpers did along with everything else. That's the beauty of homeschooling.

Now shut the 'f up with your unsolicited parental advice! Your fascist thought control is showing.

banyon
09-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh, now you've done it, looks like a couple of months of fake ignore for you. (A little to close to the mark it seems, as IF she wouldn't be outraged if someone were teaching the inverse of her method actively denigrating originalism while "teaching" it).

BucEyedPea
09-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Did I hear something?

banyon
09-20-2009, 10:36 AM
was it not obvious I was not addressing you, your highness?

WilliamTheIrish
09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Probably a conservative estimate. / Kotter

Dave Lane
09-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Hell 2-3% of the people think Ron Paul is fit to be president. /thread

JohnnyV13
09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Take a look in a mirror, foreigner. You're so biased in your own point of view that you can't read what I wrote. Or so biased you cringe at the idea of anyone having a limited govt pov that Gasp! Would be imparted to a child.

Further, there is no such thing as no bias in anyone including teachers in our public schools, their curriculums or in our universities. I also have a right to be biased when it comes to teaching what values I want to my own child including in education which our SC has upheld. I'm going to teach her what the usurpers did along with everything else. That's the beauty of homeschooling.

Now shut the 'f up with your unsolicited parental advice! Your fascist thought control is showing.

BEP, didn't mean to infer that I expected you to train your daughter to think like me. In fact, I very much support your right to teach others to think as you do.

All I meant was that you need to take great care that your own biases don't frustrate your attempts to teach "Tribian" analysis (to the point where your students won't be able to anticipate how a court will rule). I very much read what you wrote, which was to teach 3 categories and name one as "heretic". By doing so, you risk imparting only "how its wrong" without conveying "how it functions".

And, don't think that I'm not well aware that I have my own biases. For example, if I were to attempt teaching natural law analysis, I'd have to be very careful not to undermine it because that theory goes entirely against my own philosophical leanings.

I can see, however, how you might consider such unsolicited advice as condescending. For that, I apologize.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Hell 2-3% of the people think Ron Paul is fit to be president. /Obama Voter

FYP!

Dave Lane
09-20-2009, 10:38 PM
FYP!

Hell 2-3% of the people think Ron Paul is fit to be president. /Proud Obama Voter

fyfmp

BucEyedPea
09-20-2009, 10:54 PM
BEP, didn't mean to infer that I expected you to train your daughter to think like me. In fact, I very much support your right to teach others to think as you do.

All I meant was that you need to take great care that your own biases don't frustrate your attempts to teach "Tribian" analysis (to the point where your students won't be able to anticipate how a court will rule). I very much read what you wrote, which was to teach 3 categories and name one as "heretic". By doing so, you risk imparting only "how its wrong" without conveying "how it functions".

And, don't think that I'm not well aware that I have my own biases. For example, if I were to attempt teaching natural law analysis, I'd have to be very careful not to undermine it because that theory goes entirely against my own philosophical leanings.

I can see, however, how you might consider such unsolicited advice as condescending. For that, I apologize.

It's not like conservatives don't anticipate how a court will rule now anyway while disagreeing. And I said she is being taught how if functions and how it came to be that way. ( how it's been perverted and how people like to use precedent to prevent consideration of how it should be). But she's not going to be a lawyer or a poly sci major either. She wants to be an architect ( at least right now it's that) Still, I don't like being told how I have to do it.

Reaper16
09-20-2009, 11:10 PM
It's not like conservatives don't anticipate how a court will rule now anyway while disagreeing. And I said she is being taught how if functions and how it came to be that way. ( how it's been perverted and how people like to use precedent to prevent consideration of how it should be). But she's not going to be a lawyer or a poly sci major either. She wants to be an architect ( at least right now it's that) Still, I don't like being told how I have to do it.
A regular Halle Roark, eh?

BucEyedPea
09-20-2009, 11:17 PM
A regular Halle Roark, eh?

Never heard the name before.

I expect it to change in a few more times....it was a physicist for a year before.
I trying to line up an apprenticeship in a firm so she can see if she likes it.

Reaper16
09-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Never heard the name before.

I expect it to change in a few more times....it was a physicist for a year before.
I trying to line up an apprenticeship in a firm so she can see if she likes it.
It was a play on Howard Roark, the architect protagonist of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

BucEyedPea
09-21-2009, 12:14 AM
It was a play on Howard Roark, the architect protagonist of Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

Oh well I never read that book but I did know it was about an architect.
I know some who preferred that over AS. I oughta have her read that...only we're doing Of Mice and Men then Great Gatsby next. Hummmmm.....

Jenson71
09-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Oh well I never read that book but I did know it was about an architect.
I know some who preferred that over AS. I oughta have her read that...only we're doing Of Mice and Men then Great Gatsby next. Hummmmm.....

Of Mice and Men? I'm really curious as to how you teach the economic and social justice themes of Steinbeck.

banyon
09-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Of Mice and Men? I'm really curious as to how you teach the economic and social justice themes of Steinbeck.

Lennie is a communist.

BucEyedPea
09-21-2009, 01:39 AM

Haven't gotten to that yet for that book. She already knows about the Depression from her American History from her former school. I also do her books in the same fashion as they did. They have to research the era/culture/manners of the time first somewhat before reading it. So she'll review that.

For instance I had her read Atlas Shrugged this past winter while also getting an introduction to Austrian Economics and the current economic situation with some books and workbooks for kids her age.

Then we did a Tale of Two Cities. So I got the French Revolution DVD from the History Channel, which she really liked. It really affected her emotionally. She loved the book. Then we rented the old 1938 Tale of Two Cities movie. She completed this around July 4 so....Bastille Day was the following week. So we had a Bastille Day party with French dishes. Played the Marseille etc. She liked it so much she wanted to read another book from that event. She she read the Scarlet Pimpernel. She won't forget that one. It was fun I really enjoyed that. I want to take her to France with me next Spring.

So I'm trying to chose stuff not just on the public HS reading list for honors but from certain eras that can be looked at more closely. The appreciate and understand it more.

BucEyedPea
09-21-2009, 01:41 AM

Oh and isn't that about the best laid plans can go astray.