PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security 4500 Marines and Sailors Depart From Pendelton

WilliamTheIrish
09-19-2009, 09:06 PM
If you're like me, you probably have a son, daughter or relative there. And 4500 more are headed that way.

http://www.10news.com/news/20984563/detail.html

=======================================================

SAN DIEGO -- Nearly 4,500 sailors and Marines will depart San Diego as part of the three-ship-strong Bonhomme Richard Amphibious Ready Group for a deployment to the Western Pacific and Middle East.

Scheduled to leave Naval Base San Diego are the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard, amphibious transport dock USS Cleveland and the amphibious dock landing ship USS Rushmore, according to Naval Surface Forces public affairs.

Also leaving are Tactical Air Control Squadron 12, the "Wild Cards" Helicopter Sea Combat 23, an assault craft unit and a surgical team, according to the Navy.

The Navy says the readiness group will provide deterrence, promote peace and security, preserve freedom on the sea and conduct humanitarian and disaster response.

Around 2,100 of the 4,500 service members leaving are Camp Pendleton-based Marines, according to the Navy.

The Bonhomme Richard returned from its last deployment in November 2007.

EDIT* "PENDLETON"

RJ
09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
4500 young people. Let them all return home safely.

Hog Farmer
09-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Go getem boys !!!!

BucEyedPea
09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I feel so bad for them. Return safely!

jiveturkey
09-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I feel so bad for them. Return safely!It's what they signed up for and it's probably their usual deployment schedule.

Those ships don't just sit around waiting for something to happen. There's a regular rotation of ships in the pacific and ME. This means usually means that 4500 are on their way home.

At least that's how my battle group rotated.

Mizzou_8541
09-20-2009, 11:58 AM
If you're like me, you probably have a son, daughter or relative there. And 4500 more are headed that way.

EDIT* "PENDLETON"

Godspeed! Do you have a son or daughter deploying?

Mizzou_8541
09-20-2009, 11:59 AM
It's what they signed up for and it's probably their usual deployment schedule.

Those ships don't just sit around waiting for something to happen. There's a regular rotation of ships in the pacific and ME. This means usually means that 4500 are on their way home.

At least that's how my battle group rotated.

Sounds like it. I am guessing it is a scheduled MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) deployment.

Mizzou_8541
09-20-2009, 12:01 PM

EDIT* "PENDLETON"

OH Crap! I didn't even read the article! I deployed on the Bonhomme Richard for my first deployment to Iraq! Relatively speaking, it is a pretty nice ship! There is actually a little bit of room where the Marines and sailors can maintain some sense of privacy.

jiveturkey
09-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like it. I am guessing it is a scheduled MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) deployment.
I figured that there was an acronym for it. I'm not too familiar with Marine protocol. My only experience with them was in A School and the crazy fuckers that made up the ships security forces.

The A school Marines probably weren't like regular Marines. They were there to learn aircraft maintenance and weren't very intense. They were basically Navy guys with better hair cuts and the ability to run.

The ship security forces were insane. They loved drill time. We had a Seal time attack our ships once (they must have come up off of a sub) and the Marines were running around like they're asses were on fire. If you didn't get out of their way you were going to suffer a serious head injury. The Seal team still had control of the ship within 15 minutes. It was a pretty cool exercise. Two days later they jumped off the the ass end of the flight deck and disappeared.

Mizzou_8541
09-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I figured that there was an acronym for it. I'm not too familiar with Marine protocol. My only experience with them was in A School and the crazy ****ers that made up the ships security forces.

The A school Marines probably weren't like regular Marines. They were there to learn aircraft maintenance and weren't very intense. They were basically Navy guys with better hair cuts and the ability to run.

The ship security forces were insane. They loved drill time. We had a Seal time attack our ships once (they must have come up off of a sub) and the Marines were running around like they're asses were on fire. If you didn't get out of their way you were going to suffer a serious head injury. The Seal team still had control of the ship within 15 minutes. It was a pretty cool exercise. Two days later they jumped off the the ass end of the flight deck and disappeared.

That's really funny about the SEAL team. That sounds about right! ROFL

I was an infantry Marine and typically we have much dislike for all non-infantry Marines. In fact, there is hardly any respect there at all.

BucEyedPea
09-20-2009, 03:18 PM
It's what they signed up for and it's probably their usual deployment schedule.
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh sooooooooooooo! What does that have to do with my having feelings for them?

But thanks for the info on the rotations. I still feel the same way, though, for any of our guys in central Asia or the ME.

WilliamTheIrish
09-20-2009, 05:54 PM
OH Crap! I didn't even read the article! I deployed on the Bonhomme Richard for my first deployment to Iraq! Relatively speaking, it is a pretty nice ship! There is actually a little bit of room where the Marines and sailors can maintain some sense of privacy.

My uncle Jim deployed on that very ship to Japan many, many years ago.

Mizzou_8541
09-20-2009, 05:59 PM
My uncle Jim deployed on that very ship to Japan many, many years ago.

A lot of history with that ship, I think. If I am not mistaken, I was on the Bonhomme Richard v.3.0. Maybe even the fourth.

Regardless, I miss it and the military! Best 8 years of my life!

WilliamTheIrish
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Godspeed! Do you have a son or daughter deploying?

Nephew is in that group. I'd rather not say about the other.

Mizzou_8541
09-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Nephew is in that group. I'd rather not say about the other.

Noted and good choice. Although, in the DC forum you shouldn't get as many "comments" as you would if you had posted something in the The Lounge.

vailpass
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Godspeed and safe return to one and all. Prayers for your close ones heading off to defend our country William Irish.

WilliamTheIrish
09-20-2009, 06:34 PM
A lot of history with that ship, I think. If I am not mistaken, I was on the Bonhomme Richard v.3.0. Maybe even the fourth.

Regardless, I miss it and the military! Best 8 years of my life!

It's a beautiful ship. And many of my relatives have spent war time about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bon_Homme_Richard_(CV-31)