PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs None of this Surprises me.

chiefsfan1963
09-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I knew shortly after this year's draft that Chief's new Front Office and Coaching staff were looking at the 2009 season as an extended 2010 preseason. Winning was not the number one priority this season. There was too much to do for this team to be truly competitive in the league again. As far as management is concerned this is a 3 year plan with a chance of shortening it to 2 years if everything aligns perfectly.

I see potential for this team to be something special, but it is in the very early stages so it may not be easy for most diehards to acknowledge. I never had that feeling with Herm as our HC. When he got to the playoffs his first year, I knew it was with a mishandled DV team that enabled him to get in. This was easy to conclude when he coached an embarrassing lopsized loss against the Colts.

Haley has a lot to learn as a first year Head Coach, but I think he will be a quick learner. He also has a "play to win" style of coaching that I prefer versus "play not to lose" style.

I have little expectation for 2009 as far as total wins, but by just watching the first 2 games I am much more optimistic for 2010 than I was before the beginning of the season.

TRR
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree whole heartedly with your assessment. There are a lot of positives to take away from both losses. I feel Cassel is going to be special just like I did after Trent Green's tough first season and a half. I feel like the defense is much improved, and just needs time to gel. I feel that our WR's are getting better, and with time, can be an above average group.

This year has too many unknowns. To much change to be successful. Next year will settle, and players and coaches will become more consistent.
Posted via Mobile Device

blazzin311
09-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I knew shortly after this year's draft that Chief's new Front Office and Coaching staff were looking at the 2009 season as an extended 2010 preseason. Winning was not the number one priority this season. There was too much to do for this team to be truly competitive in the league again. As far as management is concerned this is a 3 year plan with a chance of shortening it to 2 years if everything aligns perfectly.

I see potential for this team to be something special, but it is in the very early stages so it may not be easy for most diehards to acknowledge. I never had that feeling with Herm as our HC. When he got to the playoffs his first year, I knew it was with a mishandled DV team that enabled him to get in. This was easy to conclude when he coached an embarrassing lopsized loss against the Colts.

Haley has a lot to learn as a first year Head Coach, but I think he will be a quick learner. He also has a "play to win" style of coaching that I prefer versus "play not to lose" style.

I have little expectation for 2009 as far as total wins, but by just watching the first 2 games I am much more optimistic for 2010 than I was before the beginning of the season.

Agreed. Good post. :clap:

Red Coater
09-21-2009, 04:00 PM
it sucks having to wait and go through another loosen season, but i think this team can pull off some upsets and even playoff spoilers.

Fritz88
09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Melting down at the end of the game needs a lot of work to fix. Not sure if that's going to be fixed with most of the current roster intact.

Molitoth
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
good post.

DaWolf
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
If you listen to Pioli and also look at his past with the Pats, that's what they did. Heck, they tore apart an 8-8 team and went 5-11 that first year. Worked out well after that, although Pioli has mentioned the true core of that team wasn't set until year 4...

Ari Chi3fs
09-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Im excited about the future and teh direction... a win yesterday should would have felt good though... Its been since NOVEMBER since we had a win... and the other win was Sept 28th... if we lose on Sunday... we will have one ONCE in 365 days.

chiefsfan1963
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Im excited about the future and teh direction... a win yesterday should would have felt good though... Its been since NOVEMBER since we had a win... and the other win was Sept 28th... if we lose on Sunday... we will have one ONCE in 365 days.

Remember belichek came to NE: a team that had long history of losing basically a franchise that was a laughstock of the league much more so than KC. In a few short seasons they were respected around the league and today they are considered one of the best franchises ever. Pretty amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
09-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Solid post

Chiefless
09-21-2009, 07:33 PM
agreed...two years would take a miracle tho (as you said). They need to overhaul the LBs and OL still. I think they get one of those units in place next year...hopefully the OL. It's just brutal to watch the offense right now.

chiefsfan1963
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
agreed...two years would take a miracle tho (as you said). They need to overhaul the LBs and OL still. I think they get one of those units in place next year...hopefully the OL. It's just brutal to watch the offense right now.

Like everyone on the Planet I hate to see us continue to lose especially to oakland @ arrowhead but I saw complete domination in most every stat other than score. I think cable was glad for the win but probably sees us coming to oakland and returning the favor. I'm agreeing that much of the roster will probably be turned over during the offseason but I'm leaving open the chance for certain players to step up and improve and be major contributors and stay with this team.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefless
09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Like everyone on the Planet I hate to see us continue to lose especially to oakland @ arrowhead but I saw complete domination in most every stat other than score. I think cable was glad for the win but probably sees us coming to oakland and returning the favor. I'm agreeing that much of the roster will probably be turned over during the offseason but I'm leaving open the chance for certain players to step up and improve and be major contributors and stay with this team.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really think the chiefs are a lott closer than it looks. It's just that the OL is so bad that it's disrupting the entire offense and the LBs are so weak opposing QBs can pose for a painting before thay have to throw a pass. All the other units seem pretty solid to me...or at least it's difficult to say for sure given the state of said units.

kregger
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Nice post. I also think this year serves as a warm up to 2010. Clark made the change knowing Arrowhead will be fully ready to go in 2010 and wanted a regime in place for at least a year. We'll have a real good idea of what players are staying and with the uncapped year looming, we'll be shoppers.

Pioli Zombie
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Agreed. 2000 was basically an evaluation year for Belichick and Pioli. That's what this year is. I'm very intrigued by the defense especially. Just relax everybody.
Posted via Mobile Device

BryanBusby
09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
The Chiefs aren't in playoffs or bust mode, but winning is still the top priority this season. In order to build a winning team, they actually need to experience some wins.

Hog Farmer
09-21-2009, 08:51 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about !!!!!!

We could easily run the table from here going 14-2 and bring home the trophy!!!

chiefsfan1963
09-21-2009, 10:08 PM

It's a work in progress. I'm optimistic we're on the right track.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't think we're physical enough. So far as I know, throughout the entire 60 minutes of play, only one Raider was knocked unconscious. That is unacceptable. The ambulance service should have run out of gas ferrying dead or dying Raiders to the hospital. Haley has failed us.

FAX

BigChiefFan
09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think we're physical enough. So far as I know, throughout the entire 60 minutes of play, only one Raider was knocked unconscious. That is unacceptable. The ambulance service should have run out of gas ferrying dead or dying Raiders to the hospital. Haley has failed us.

FAX
Robert Gallery also broke his leg and will be out 4-6 weeks, if that counts.

scott free
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM

IS IT OVER!?

HELL NO ITS NOT OVER!1!

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Remember belichek came to NE: a team that had long history of losing basically a franchise that was a laughstock of the league much more so than KC. In a few short seasons they were respected around the league and today they are considered one of the best franchises ever. Pretty amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

You mean a team that had been to two Super Bowls in the last 15 years?

That New England?

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2009, 03:37 AM
I think adding a few vets like Vrabel, Engram, Goff and Brown made people think that we were going to win THIS year.

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2009, 03:37 AM
IS IT OVER!?

HELL NO ITS NOT OVER!1!

WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?

Rausch
09-22-2009, 03:41 AM

Awesome.
The rest of your post has absolutely no relevance then and you could have said that and then SHUT THE **** UP...

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2009, 03:50 AM
Awesome.
The rest of your post has absolutely no relevance then and you could have said that and then SHUT THE **** UP...

up early for the Denny's early bird special?

Rausch
09-22-2009, 03:51 AM
up early for the Denny's early bird special?

I sleep less often than you get laid, unfortunately...

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2009, 03:59 AM
I sleep less often than you get laid, unfortunately...

ah ha.....:rolleyes:

Pioli Zombie
09-22-2009, 05:30 AM
WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?
CUZ WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH...........
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
09-22-2009, 05:31 AM
You mean a team that had been to two Super Bowls in the last 15 years?

That New England?

I think you meant 5.
Posted via Mobile Device