PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sam Mellinger: Former Chief Gonzalez is still tight with KC

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Former Chief Gonzalez is still tight with KC (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1461140.html)
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

The party should’ve started by now. Should’ve started a half-hour or so ago, actually, but it won’t be much of an event until Kansas City’s favorite football player shows up. So a ballroom full of men in their pressed suits and women in their best dresses wait.

There are big names here already, all in the name of charity. Each of them know the deal. David Cook is the local boy turned “American Idol” winner, a bona fide rock star.

“I’m here to see Tony,” he says.

Matt Cassel is the Chiefs’ starting quarterback with a beautiful wife and a $63 million contract, things that usually earn a man a certain status.

“It’ll be great,” he says of the opportunity to meet Tony Gonzalez.

This will be Gonzalez’s first time back in Kansas City since being traded this last offseason. Officially, he’ll be here to support the Shadow Buddies Foundation. Realistically, he’s also coming for the love.

Gonzalez is playing the first of his 13 NFL seasons away from Kansas City, but this is still very much his town. With the Royals finishing a disappointing summer and the Chiefs on their way to a horrific autumn, he still just might be the most popular athlete in Kansas City.

Maybe that eases the annoyance of the 3 1/2 -hour delay at the airport in Atlanta, his new NFL home, where he’s caught 12 passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns for the 2-0 Falcons.

It’s not lost on anyone that all those numbers would lead the 0-2 Chiefs, which sure doesn’t hurt the way people react when they finally see him roll up that escalator, back in downtown Kansas City for the fund-raiser on Monday night.

“Tony!” they yell.

“Hey, Randy,” he says to a familiar face.

He holds his daughter and shakes some hands and when the reporters approach, he smiles.

“You’re not going to ask me about the Chiefs, are you?” he says, and everyone laughs.

This is the first time he’s been back since being traded to the Falcons. The losing wore on him, something he never tried much to hide. It’s different in Atlanta now, and he doesn’t mind saying so.

“That whole winning environment is really great,” he says. “I couldn’t ask for anything else.”

He doesn’t want those words to be misunderstood. He loves Kansas City. Says he always will. This is where he started his professional career at 21, a fresh college kid with a stubborn dream of playing in the NBA.

He turned into the most prolific pass-catching tight end in NFL history here, making 10 Pro Bowls and setting NFL records for receptions, yards and touchdowns. When he’s inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, people will remember his years with the Chiefs.

Gonzalez became famous here on a higher level than any local athlete since perhaps Bo Jackson. He went on Oprah, wrote books, and did reality TV shows. He saved a man’s life with the Heimlich Maneuver during one offseason, and it made for a great story when it turned out the guy was actually a Chargers fan.

That’s why this charity event buzzes. Mixed in with the sparkly dresses and high heels is at least one woman in a No. 88 Gonzalez jersey. Even with him playing on another team, there are still probably more Gonzalez jerseys than any other around town on Red Fridays.

The love is mutual. When Gonzalez walked off his flight and into KCI, he paused for a moment and smiled at the familiarity. He came with his wife and young daughter, the three of them feeling the love and giving it back.

“I grew up here,” he says. “I’ve been saying that all along, especially when they traded me. My heart’s in Kansas City. I love coming out here. It’s just great. The community out here was so good to me for all those years.”

There is one question about the Chiefs, and Gonzalez admits that, yes, he does keep an eye on his old team. He smiles again and says he has to get inside to the dinner. They’re waiting on him. So he steps away, into more camera flashes and more hugs from old friends.

He apologizes for being late. Nobody holds it against him. They’d have waited longer here to see him, just as he’d have waited longer in Atlanta to be here.

It takes a few minutes for Gonzalez to get through the hugs and down to his front table. Seconds after he sits, the event’s hostess walks out. Gonzalez is here, finally and again.

Now, the party can start.

Rausch
09-22-2009, 04:28 AM
FUCK YOU.

You begged out until you got what you wanted because you didn't have the nuts to hang on like SHANNON SHARPE and win one before leaving.

That...is...all...

Count Alex's Losses
09-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Of course Gonzalez came back to KC for a visit. He left a pussy goldmine here.

He was a Chief for 10 years. That's a lot of booty calls.

Fritz88
09-22-2009, 05:00 AM
**** YOU.

You begged out until you got what you wanted because you didn't have the nuts to hang on like SHANNON SHARPE and win one before leaving.

That...is...all...

There's no way KC would have been any better with him around at the moment. Let him go and win some games.

big nasty kcnut
09-22-2009, 05:35 AM
I don't know
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
09-22-2009, 05:42 AM
There's no way KC would have been any better with him around at the moment. Let him go and win some games.

This is the reason Will Shields is smoking crack on the streets as we speak...

big nasty kcnut
09-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Brad really i heard he still trying to bang joe horn wife.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefJustice
09-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Can somebody say "contractually obligated"?

BigRedChief
09-22-2009, 07:31 AM
**** YOU.

That...is...all...
I don't think we are going to be in the SuperBowl next year, even if Tony G would have stayed. I think his career is over next year.

dirk digler
09-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I miss Tony

Mr. Arrowhead
09-22-2009, 07:40 AM
it may suck now, but we will look at this trade 5 years from now, and be thankful Scott Pioli went through with it.

ChiefJustice
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
it may suck now, but we will look at this trade 5 years from now, and be thankful Scott Pioli went through with it.

Yep,right around the time that a class act,that played his entire career with one team,goes into the HOF.

Thank you,Will Shields.

StcChief
09-22-2009, 08:02 AM
it may suck now, but we will look at this trade 5 years from now, and be thankful Scott Pioli went through with it.we will see what ATL's 2010 brings in 2-3 years.

DumbHillbillies
09-22-2009, 08:06 AM
**** YOU.

That...is...all...

What ? Shannon Sharpe was actually on good teams in denver that had a chance of winning. Our Chiefs suck and will suck for at least another season after this one. By the time we are any good tony will be 35 and over the hill. And you want him to stick around here. For what.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-22-2009, 08:09 AM
god what a bunch of whiny spurned bitches you all are.

TG played hard in KC. He deserves some respect. Football is a business, if things meant he had to go, he had to go. But to act like he was a team cancer is ridiculous.

jidar
09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
I'll always like Tony Gonzalez.

Well you know, unless he rapes chicks or something... although he might have had a good reason.

burt
09-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I like, and respect TG. I miss him(In a manly football guy way) and wish him well.

HemiEd
09-22-2009, 09:14 AM

Hopefully Scott Pioli won't be carrying on the long standing 2nd round pick tradition. Pollard, Turk, etc., etc.

I am convinced this team would be 2-0 right now with Tony.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-22-2009, 09:18 AM
LMAO keep telling yourself that

Demonpenz
09-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Man tony would drag block catch balls he is an all time great

Chieftain58
09-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Tony G is awesome... who wouldn't get tired of losing...

DaneMcCloud
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Tony played for four different head coaches, numerous tight end coaches and multiple QB's (Grbac, Gannon, Green, Huard, Croyle & Thigpen). He put up amazing numbers year after year, despite the fact that during his tenure 12 year tenure, the Chiefs had only 5 winning seasons, three playoff appearance and no playoff wins.

I think he'd done everything he could for the Chiefs organization.

Pioli did him and the Chiefs right.

GoHuge
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
god what a bunch of whiny spurned bitches you all are.

TG played hard in KC. He deserves some respect. Football is a business, if things meant he had to go, he had to go. But to act like he was a team cancer is ridiculous.This.

I just don't get the hate towards TG. He gave this team and town over a decade of being the best TE in NFL ****ing history!! Damn him for not finishing his career with a perennial loser out of loyalty in an industry that has none. He wants a chance to at least win a playoff game........Get the **** over it!

KCDC
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Hopefully Scott Pioli won't be carrying on the long standing 2nd round pick tradition. Pollard, Turk, etc., etc.

Though it is wishful thinking, I know, I tend to agree. We wouldn't go to the SB even with TG, but we could have won 9 games and had a chance at a wild card. I think we would have definitely beaten the Raiders Sunday with TG in for Sean "off the helmet" Ryan. He would have converted 4th down to TG, if nothing else. Might have beaten the Ravens too, as we might have been able to manage some first downs over the middle.

A second round pick in 2010 was like a third round pick this year. That is even more the case becaause the Falcons could go 13-3 and we could be picking at the end of the round anyway.

Yeah, maybe in 5 years the trade will look better. We will have been a losing team for 3 of those five years, if not more, and we'll never know what TG might have done to save Matt Cassel and the 2009-2011 Chiefs. But, we'll get some guard or WR for him, probably. Maybe they will be serviceable for several years, whereas TG would have been great for the key years of transitioning from the Herm-induced collapse to the return to winning ways.

SNR
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
lawl he dont even got no rings is he rly that grat? if he was a RELY grat te the cheifs wud have a super bowl like shanen sharp who won his team osme RINGS

ChiefJustice
09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
lawl he dont even got no rings is he rly that grat? if he was a RELY grat te the cheifs wud have a super bowl like shanen sharp who won his team osme RINGS

And,he won't win one in Atlanta either.

Hoover
09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I love Tony and hope he wins a ring in Atlanta.

But I also like the fact that we got a 2nd round pick for the dude in next year's draft. We need more talent and it doesn't get much simpler than that.

I imagine the Chiefs will be looking to add to the offense next April, and having two second round picks should really help. KC will most likely be in prime position to grab an offensive lineman and a wide receiver in round two if they want too.

While it hurts to not see Tony on the field in KC, I think trading him was the right thing to do.

CoMoChief
09-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Well people say that by the time we were good he'd be over the hill. I actually think we can be good next season barring a few changes like the Oline mostly, and maybe adding a WR in FA. But here's the questions you gotta ask. Would you rather have Sean Ryan, Brad Cottam, or Tony Gonzalez as your TE? I know my answer. But I do understand he wants a chance NOW to go deep into the playoffs and possibly make a SB run.