PDA

View Full Version : Misc Some Dick Schmoker likes kids.

Pitt Gorilla
09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.southwestiowanews.com/articles/2009/09/20/around_the_region/doc4ab3871052edc118243838.txt

LINCOLN -- A gift from a Minnesota couple will help take a five-year-old reading clinic at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to the next level.

The UNL clinic -- which began operating in 2004 to help youngsters who struggle with reading -- has been named the Kit and Dick Schmoker Reading Center in honor of the donors, who gave $1 million to create an endowment to help support the program.

Catherine "Kit" Schmoker, a graduate of the former Teachers College at UNL, is a member of a Lincoln banking family that owned the former National Bank of Commerce.

She and her husband, Dick, a retired attorney, live in Edina, Minn.

They were in Lincoln Thursday to attend the dedication of the newly named center.

UNL officials say the facility is unique in the region. Its primary purpose is to teach teachers how to work with struggling readers. It also works directly with youngsters who have reading difficulties, providing tutoring services to students in kindergarten through 12th grade, mostly from the Lincoln area.

"The Kit and Dick Schmoker Reading Center is making a significant difference in the lives of hundreds of children and student teachers," said Marjorie Kostelnik, dean of the UNL College of Education and Human Sciences, which was formed in 2003 when the Teachers College and the College of Human Resources and Family Sciences were merged.

"Children will have many more successful school days as a result of their time in the center, and our college students will develop many more skills to help Nebraska's children become proficient readers."

Since the clinic began operating in 2004, UNL education majors have tutored about 500 students. Most are from Lincoln and Lancaster County, because longer distances make it difficult to attend the twice-a-week tutoring sessions, said co-director Guy Trainen. Students from farther away sometimes participate in tutoring sessions during the summer months.

The center hopes to increase that number to about 600 during the next five years. About 120 UNL undergraduate and graduate students are expected to study at the center during the next five years.

Housed in the Home Economics Building on UNL's East Campus, the reading center will occupy one room equipped with tutoring cubicles, office space and library and computer facilities.

The primary benefit of the Schmokers' gift will be establishing stable funding for the reading center, which has been financially supported by three different departments of the College of Education and Human Sciences. Struggling readers pay tuition for their tutoring services, and grants and donations have supported the center's library.

Trainen said the Schmokers' gift will be used to maintain current services, in the hope that the program can be expanded in coming years.

Kit Schmoker said she is convinced that the reading center will give struggling students the skills they need to succeed in life.

She quoted from the Dr. Seuss book "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"

"Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed. Ninety-eight-and-three-quarters percent guaranteed."

TrickyNicky
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYEO_WZUGcY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DYEO_WZUGcY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Buck
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I lol'd

FAX
09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
God bless the Dick Schmokers.

FAX

BigRichard
09-22-2009, 11:36 AM
WTTIAW with being a Dick Schmoker.

gblowfish
09-22-2009, 11:37 AM
He's a poopie poker!

Pitt Gorilla
09-22-2009, 11:37 AM
God bless the Dick Schmokers.

FAXMrs. Dick Schmoker seems like she just wants to make people feel good.

JD10367
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I always thought that, after racing, Dick Trickle should've become a spokesman for prostate awareness.

seclark
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
it's nice to see dick schmokers giving something back to the community.
sec

BigRichard
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I think we should have a Dick Schmoker pride parade to honor this.

FAX
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
it's nice to see dick schmokers giving something back to the community.
sec

Quite so.

It's just a good feeling to know that, when the citizens are in need, the Dick Schmokers will be there.

FAX

ferrarispider95
The Dick Schmokers Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

BigRichard
I always thought that, after racing, Dick Trickle should've become a spokesman for prostate awareness.

I would say he needed to be the spokesman for STD awarness.

seclark
09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Quite so.

It's just a good feeling to know that, when the citizens are in need, the Dick Schmokers will be there.

FAX

so true...the world could use more dick schmokers.
sec

JD10367
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I would say he needed to be the spokesman for STD awarness.

No, that would've been this dude.

http://www.tonyrocks.com/wp-content/rusty-kuntz.jpg

journeyscarab
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
We could have a special day to honor all Dick Schmokers!

JD10367
09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
We could have a special day to honor all Dick Schmokers!

:shrug: Don't they already have that?

True story: I was walking around Disney World with the woman-at-the-time (can't remember which g/f it was). After a half-day, I said, "Gee, there's a lot of people with red shirts here today." She said, "Uh, yeah, you moron, didn't you see the sign at the front gate? It's Gay Pride Day." That's when I realized most of the red-shirters were guys, and holding hands. :eek: Talk about clueless...

BigRichard
09-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Dick Schmoker comes from a long line of distiguished Schmokers. There was Cock Schmoker and the all too famous Pole Schmoker. And who could forget Meat Schmoker? His long lost cousin, Crack Schmoker, was recently discovered trying to live the life like Pole Schmoker.

DumbHillbillies
09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Rusty Kuntz ROFL

FAX
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Mrs. Dick Schmoker seems like she just wants to make people feel good.

Indeed.

The story of their marriage is also very touching. When young Dick Schmoker asked her father for her hand, he knew immediately that their relationship would work because they had so much in common.

FAX

Demonpenz
09-22-2009, 12:13 PM
awaits the mike hunt and sharron peters wings to open

Simply Red
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
ROFLNo, that would've been this dude.

ROFL

RJ
09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Did you guys know he's in the same line of work as Rain Man? He owns the Schmoker Poll.

Simply Red
09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
<object width="512" height="296 "><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/7YOK89B0wGj24qT21nhVAw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/7YOK89B0wGj24qT21nhVAw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

journeyscarab
09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
It's nice that his wife is so accepting of his situation....being Dick Schmoker and all. Of course she had to know what she was getting into.

Fish
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
No, that would've been this dude.

Rusty is now a basecoach for the Royals... how appropriate ehh?

JD10367
09-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Rusty is now a basecoach for the Royals... how appropriate ehh?

Which one? Third? "And, once again, Kuntz puts up the stop sign and holds the runner!"

Raised On Riots
09-22-2009, 02:21 PM
The Dick Schmokers are the cornerstone of a civilized and better society at the local level.

Delano
09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
I lol'd

then I srs'd