PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Haley Press Conference 09/22

SNR
09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
TODD HALEY: “First of all, I’d like to apologize for being late after the game. Rookie head coach here, rookie mistake, unaware of the time limit and then also how that makes it harder for you guys to do your job after the game. My sincere apology. That was a rookie mistake and I’ll correct that to help you guys out.”

“That being said, the hurt isn’t gone, the disappointment isn’t gone from Sunday. But after watching the tape there was an awful lot positive on that tape to feel good about as a team and as a coaching staff.

“Offensively, the fact that we put 25 first downs together and moved the football consistently was an encouraging sign. Anytime you rush for 170 plus yards I think that’s a pretty good encouraging sign against a pretty good front seven (defense).

“We need to figure out offensively how to score points and not waste scoring opportunities like we did at the end of the half.

“Defensively, I’ve got nothing but good to say about the defense in stopping the run. That’s a legitimate running attack which has pounded out some yards in the past and against a bunch of other teams. To hold those guys to what we did, I thought was a positive sign.

“I think we left some opportunities out there defensively and at the end of the game we have to get off the field.

“Overall, I think there is enough there to be encouraged. We’re 0-2 in the first quarter of the season. That’s the way I look at the season and that’s the way I’d like my team to look at the season. It’s the way I was taught a long time ago. We’ve got two games left in this quarter and we’ve got to figure out a way to get a couple back.”

Q: You’ve been in two football games under different circumstances and had opportunities to win both of them. Does that add to the disappointment?

HALEY: “It’s as disappointing as you can be when you lose on Sunday. When you feel like you have an opportunity to win the game it makes it worse. We could be 2-0 right now, we could be 1-1; we could be 0-2. We’re like nine other teams in the league right now. There are 14 that are 1-1 and we’re disappointed just like anybody else because you felt like you had an opportunity to win both games.”

Q: Is Jamaal Charles healthy?

HALEY: “Yes.”

Q: Can you comment on why he didn’t dress on Sunday?

HALEY: “As I’ve made it pretty clear, we’re going to continue to do everything we can to figure out who the guys are that give us the best chance to win. We have some limitations offensively number-wise as we go into each game. There is some juggling that has to go on and I think that we had a guy in Savage that sat the first week that we felt we wanted to see. He had done enough in the preseason to get excited about and we wanted to see Dantrell compete. There is going to somebody left out every week. That’s been made very clear to everyone and the way it’s going to continue until we find out who those guys are. That’s all part of the process and it’s happening at other positions also and it’s going to continue to happen until we feel like we’re going in the direction we want to go.”

Q: You have so much on your plate, have there been things where you thought you didn’t do that right, or you needed to tweak something?

HALEY: “I think I made it pretty clear that I’m a prideful guy, but I’m not afraid to admit mistakes in any way, shape or form. This is a learning process. I’ve kind of said that about practice and there are probably too many to even state. I’m a rookie head coach trying to find my way. I’ve got some good mentors that I can lean on and ask, but until you’re living it and the bullets are flying and you’re in the middle of the action, that’s when you’re going to find out the most. There is no doubt I’m learning on the fly and there are too many of those to note and be better every week.”

Q: Are any of your mentors telling you maybe it would be better to have somebody else helping you call the plays?

HALEY: “No, but I have had very good support and just confidence given to me from people that I think a lot of what they think. I feel all right about the direction we’re going.”

Q: What’s the procedure in the game operations when you’re calling plays and a cornerback goes out of the game and maybe you spot it and maybe you don’t. Does somebody tell you? How quickly does something like that happen and how quickly can you respond?

HALEY: “I don’t think that’s affected at all by our situation here with me being the head coach and the play caller. That’s in-game and we’ve got guys in the box and guys on the field and I’ve put the backup quarterback in charge of watching coverage and paying attention to that back end. That’s kind of how I’ve always operated even when I was coordinator in Arizona. I would have a guy watching the corners and he would come to me and say, so-and-so is limping or whatever. That part hasn’t been affected by the situation we’re in right now.”

Q: Do you feel you are generally on the same page as far as the starting quarterback with Scott Pioli?

HALEY: “Yeah, I feel like we’re on the same page on everything. We spend hours and hours hanging out and talking, discussing and throwing ideas around including the coaching staff all the time. I don’t think there’s one thing we’re doing that would be a surprise to either one of us.”

Q: Could you envision a scenario where Matt Cassel isn’t the starting quarterback this year?

HALEY: “I wouldn’t speculate on that. There were a lot of positives in Matt’s performance. There are a few we would like to have back obviously. I believe that a quarterback in a game has seven critical decisions – combined key plays in a game of 79 plays last week or whatever it was – that really separate winning and losing. There were clearly seven in this game where we would like to do something different.

“But that being said, I like a lot about this guy. Anybody watching can see the competitiveness. Here’s a guy who’s injured that was not running with that thought in his mind. He added 34 yards of rushing to our game and when you do that it’s pretty positive.

“With Matt we just need to keep chopping wood. That being said, I’m excited about Brodie’s progress. I think Brodie getting to play in the first game got his feet under him and started to gain some confidence. I think that was clear in this past week’s practice and I expect all those guys to improve every week. That’s their job and my job is to get our quarterbacks better.”

Q: Hindsight here, but first quarter first-and-ten and the clock running down the natural tendency is to call time-out and prevent the penalty. Would you rather see first-and-15 and still have the time-out?

HALEY: “The two time-outs in the last game, the second one burned was a fourth down situation where I changed the play and we converted. So, I would never give that one back especially since we changed the play.

“Now, did we have a communication breakdown? Yes, but that being said, to me, that time-out was a critical time-out we had to use. The other one we can’t have occur. Like I said after the game, we have multiple systems in place to prevent that and all three in that situation failed. Our final one was a designated play we have to call if the clock is ever at a certain point. It handles all personnel groups and we can run that specific play. It doesn’t matter who’s in the game.

“I’d never like to have first-and-15, so I’d like one of those systems to handle it.”

Q: But as the clock’s ticking down and the systems are falling apart?

HALEY: “No, I never like to be in first-and-15. That’s hard to overcome.”

Q: Is the game-planning this week more difficult because of the unknown of Michael Vick back and the Colts struggling to figure out the “Wildcat” last night (vs. Miami)?

HALEY: “The Philadelphia Eagles in general are a great, great challenge. Obviously, I’ve had a lot of experience against them in the last few years and last year specifically. They’re tough and I know Coach (Jim) Johnson in my mind was the best defensive coach in the league and sadly is no longer with us. But Coach (Sean) McDermott has been under him. I think you can see him put his own stamp on the defense which adds a little unknown.

“There are things you’ve got to prepare for all situations. It just makes it all the greater challenge. We’re working on it diligently.”

Q: Do you have to maybe guess what they might do with a player like Vick?

HALEY: “There is some of that. You try to make a calculated guess off of stuff you’ve seen in the past or stuff other teams are doing. This off-season I know we put a lot of time in on the ‘Wildcat’ knowing in general it was kind of the wave everybody was riding and you were going to see more of it throughout the year than more than just a couple of teams. We did an extensive study on any ‘Wildcat’ we saw in the last two years including stuff I had run in the past. You gotta do those kinds of things.”

Q: Why does it cause such a problem?

HALEY: “I think you have some big-time athletes that are handling the football, that if they’re competent enough to handle the football, which is the key to it to me. You have some big-time running backs that this is just not their thing. They’ve got to run the cadence, handle shotgun snaps; they’ve got to make quick decisions. When you’ve got a big-time athlete doing that, who is able to make multiple decisions and run the team, it’s a great challenge. There are two or three options generally on those plays: run, run to pass, run to run.

“I think it’s two-fold: there are formation issues on how you cover the quarterback when he’s in there and when he’s not in there.”

Q: You’ve made clear that it’s all about competition and who gives you the best chance to win. Does that apply to the quarterback too?

HALEY: “Absolutely and it’s my track record going all the way back to the Jets when I was there with Parcells. We had a guy there named Glenn Foley that the entire city of New York and Long Island was excited about and we picked up Vinny Testaverde right before training camp, but after three games it was clear that Vinny would give us the best chance to win. I was there for that change.

“I was there in Dallas when we brought Drew Bledsoe in and we had a guy named Tony Romo that as days went on you said, ‘hey, this guy maybe gives us the best shot to win,’ and we made a mid-season change.

“No more glaring than in the last couple of years in Arizona between Matt (Leinart) and Kurt (Warner) and Matt being a number one pick. When we made that change there was a lot of negative feed-back and what about the future. There weren’t many people saying much when we were in the Super Bowl last year.

“Those are decisions you’ve got to make as a coach. As a head coach you take the brunt of the criticism or the accolades. You’ve got to ultimately do what you think gives your team the best chance to win. If that means another quarterback being in there other than Matt Cassel then….”

Q: From what you have seen of Brodie Croyle, is he capable of being an NFL quarterback?

HALEY: “Like I said, I thought Brodie Croyle went into a very difficult situation, hostile environment against a very good defense and he looked like an NFL quarterback. He gave us a legitimate chance to win; he executed the game plan the way he was asked to execute it. He protected the football. We didn’t win the game but from that week and adding in last week’s practice I’ve seen Brodie Croyle continue to improve and that’s all we’re asking him to do.”

Q: (LB) Derrick Johnson has found a way to make some pretty big plays in the last couple of games. Are you satisfied that he’s doing what he needs to do to earn more playing time?

HALEY: “I would kind of put Derrick in that same category as a guy that has continued to make progress. He obviously made a huge play for us in the Baltimore game that kind of got us back in the game. He made some plays last week.

“All of these guys need to understand that this thing is going to continue how I started the whole press conference: we’re going to continue to keep pushing, prodding, trying to figure who these guys are. That is a process and you don’t necessarily find the answers in the OTA’s or the pre-season. Once you’re in these games some of those answers become clear and some become crystal clear.”

Q: What was the difference in your run defense from game one to game two?

HALEY: “Baltimore, we felt they were going to play one type of game and they played an entirely different game. I think at the end of the half it was 31 passes to six or seven or eight runs. It was a drastic change from what was expected. It got us a little out of kilter and we never quite recovered from it. When the runs started we weren’t able to fit and do the things to stop a very good running game.

“Last week we said some things had to change and I thought the defense responded for the most part.”

Q: What did you see from Dantrell Savage in the last game?

HALEY: “I was encouraged by Dantrell. I thought there were a couple of plays he would like to have back but I think the kid’s a football player. I think he has a nice feel for the game. He’s obviously very quick and helps you a little bit in the return game and he’s very good out of the backfield.

“That being said, I thought that Jamaal had a very good week of practice last week. But like I said, when you have good competition at a position there’s going to be somebody that gets left out occasionally unless you’re going to sacrifice at another position which can happen.

“Whatever this mix of players is and whether it’s three receivers or five running backs or four tight ends that’s part of our job in figuring that out. Like I said, it is a process and it is a process here as we go forward trying to find the right guys.”

Q: Scratching (TE Brad) Cottam to get another player in is the same situation?

HALEY: “Yeah, and those guys are all aware of it. It’s been made clear that this is a work in progress and as I’ve said in here a few times, I’m not really concerned with guys being real comfortable right now. We’re a team that is in flux trying to become a team. We’re 0-2 right now. We’ve got to find a way to win games and that’s going to continue to go on until we feel we’ve got to right.”

Q: Are you comfortable?

HALEY: “No, I’m not comfortable.”

Q: Some people would add that if Brodie did so well and had a good week why didn’t he start last week’s game? What was the process?

HALEY: “I think when you talk about any of these players you’re talking about a full evaluation going all the way back to the time we first got together as a group. There are a lot of different things that factor into those decisions. Again, it’s a process of trying to get it right. It’s how they practiced last week, how they practiced the week before, how they prepared, are they studying?

“I just know from the teams I’ve been around the more competition you have at each position the better team you’re going to have. It just works that way and right now that’s what we’re trying. We’re trying. If its guys from teams that were left go, or trades or whatever, that’s our whole goal: to get competition at as many positions as we can, quarterback being one of those. Its human nature that when there is somebody pushing you in whatever your area of expertise, you’ve got a better chance to be at your best and if you can’t handle that pressure then you probably go by the wayside.

“The more competition we can create here in Kansas City the better team we will ultimately have. Generally, on poor teams there isn’t a lot of competition. There are a lot of guys who know they’re starting regardless of who’s back there. That doesn’t happen on the good teams I’ve been lucky enough to be part of.”

Q: But on some teams coaches say they need to have their guy, they don’t need the distraction. It’ll never be that way?

HALEY: “Not with me. Again, that’s just from past experience. It’s all I can go by. I’m a rookie head coach that’s trying to get this right and all I can say is that last year in Arizona if we don’t go with what our gut tells us at that position we wouldn’t have been where we were. I can only go off what I’ve experienced and learned now that I’m head coach.”

Marcellus
09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Gee, is the media trying to create a QB controversy? Good Lord.

KCtotheSB
09-22-2009, 04:27 PM
OH SHIT, THE MEDIA IS TRYING TO CREATE A QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY

RUN FOR THE HILLS

munkey
09-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Q: You have so much on your plate, have there been things where you thought you didn’t do that right, or you needed to tweak something?

HALEY: “I think I made it pretty clear that I’m a prideful guy, but I’m not afraid to admit mistakes in any way, shape or form. This is a learning process. I’ve kind of said that about practice and there are probably too many to even state. I’m a rookie head coach trying to find my way. I’ve got some good mentors that I can lean on and ask, but until you’re living it and the bullets are flying and you’re in the middle of the action, that’s when you’re going to find out the most. There is no doubt I’m learning on the fly and there are too many of those to note and be better every week.”

I'm sold...He's honest and sincere. Ya'll that think otherwise can kiss gochiefs ass ;-)

CoMoChief
09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Cassel (had he been healthy) would have moved around the pocket a lot better than Croyle in the BAL game.

the Talking Can
09-22-2009, 04:48 PM
i like haley a lot

there's more candor in that then you get from most coaches

SNR
09-22-2009, 04:51 PM
i like haley a lot

there's more candor in that then you get from most coachesBLIND WORSHIPPER! DON'T YOU KNOW WE'RE 0-2????!?!?!?!?!?!?!

*kills self*

mikey23545
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
<b>“I’d never like to have first-and-15, so I’d like one of those systems to handle it.”

HALEY: “No, I never like to be in first-and-15. That’s hard to overcome.”</b>

This is sheer retardation.

You can always make up five yards, you can <b>NEVER</b> make back a time-out.

:shake:

Raised On Riots
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Nothing new to see here.

CosmicPal
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
i like haley a lot

there's more candor in that then you get from most coaches

I agree. I was thinking the same thing while reading the presser. I like that he's not afraid to recognize and admit his own mistakes- this is the first step in getting better each game. This is a whole lot better than, "You play to win the game!"

keg in kc
09-22-2009, 05:44 PM

You can always make up five yards, you can <b>NEVER</b> make back a time-out.The context of what he said makes more sense when you listen. He admitted it was a bad timeout. What he was saying is that he wants the "multiple systems" in place to work in the future so that the play clock running down isn't an issue in the first place.

The whole "either/or" question was kind of stupid in and of itself; he'd obviously choose to have neither the 5 yard penalty or the timeout. That question was kind of like asking a guy if he'd like to get stabbed with an icepick in his left leg or his right leg.

the Talking Can
09-22-2009, 05:52 PM
The context of what he said makes more sense when you listen. He admitted it was a bad timeout. What he was saying is that he wants the "multiple systems" in place to work in the future so that the play clock running down isn't an issue in the first place.

The whole "either/or" question was kind of stupid in and of itself; he'd obviously choose to have neither the 5 yard penalty or the timeout. That question was kind of like asking a guy if he'd like to get stabbed with an icepick in his left leg or his right leg.

what's context?

sounds communistic, or maybe homosexual....we don't do context, we do willfully-mis-interpreting-statements-to-provide-cover-for-a-pre-packaged-anger

Raised On Riots
09-22-2009, 05:54 PM
what's context?

sounds communistic, or maybe homosexual....we don't do context, we do willfully-mis-interpreting-statements-to-provide-cover-for-a-pre-packaged-anger

http://yenz24.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/jesus_on_cross_crucifixion-full.jpg

Chiefnj2
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
KC media should be euthenized. My god, how many Croyle questions can they ask?

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/09/22/todd_haley_press_conference__922/

<object width="249" height="290" id="delve_player227583o" classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf"/><param name="wmode" value="window"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="flashvars" value="playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004&amp;ldr=ldr&amp;channelId=3ae0242875334dcf955d884fb9bbd0b8"/><embed src="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf" name="delve_player227583e" wmode="window" width="249" height="290" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004&amp;ldr=ldr&amp;channelId=3ae0242875334dcf955d884fb9bbd0b8"></embed></object>

chief52
09-22-2009, 06:55 PM
<b>“I’d never like to have first-and-15, so I’d like one of those systems to handle it.”

HALEY: “No, I never like to be in first-and-15. That’s hard to overcome.”</b>

You can always make up five yards, you can <b>NEVER</b> make back a time-out.

:shake:

Haley never said that you should use a time out to prevent a 1st and 15. He said he never likes to be in 1st and 15 and it should not happen. Nothing about a T.O.

"The other one we can’t have occur. Like I said after the game, we have multiple systems in place to prevent that and all three in that situation failed. Our final one was a designated play we have to call if the clock is ever at a certain point. It handles all personnel groups and we can run that specific play. It doesn’t matter who’s in the game."

You need to get the play off. Period!!! That is what he said and I can not agree more. You totally misread or misunderstood his answer.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Holy fucking hell.

Who the fuck was interviewing Haley. A class of fucking kindergartners?

Say, Todd, what's your favorite color?
Are you a fan of cookies?

Fucking hell.

Raised On Riots
09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Holy fucking hell.

Who the fuck was interviewing Haley. A class of fucking kindergartners?

Say, Todd, what's your favorite color?
Are you a fan of cookies?

Fucking hell.

This is new to you how?

FAX
09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Haley is an interesting guy. He has a chance to become a very, very good NFL head coach.

He's been placed in a very tough situation, though. He's inherited a talent void so extreme it sucks gravity, light, beer tabs, and ladies' underwear into another dimension. Yet, he's gone after things with passion, honesty, and a certain humility. The principles are pretty basic; you work hard, trust what you see on the field, be realistic, hold everyone accountable (including yourself), and learn from everything that comes your way.

Personally, I think we're lucky to have this guy - rookie HC or no. I stand unabashedly in Haley's camp. It will be interesting to see how he handles things once the team begins to break through and win a few, though.

FAX

Red Coater
09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
:toast::clap::toast:Haley is an interesting guy. He has a chance to become a very, very good NFL head coach.

He's been placed in a very tough situation, though. He's inherited a talent void so extreme it sucks gravity, light, beer tabs, and ladies' underwear into another dimension. Yet, he's gone after things with passion, honesty, and a certain humility. The principles are pretty basic; you work hard, trust what you see on the field, be realistic, hold everyone accountable (including yourself), and learn from everything that comes your way.

Personally, I think we're lucky to have this guy - rookie HC or no. I stand unabashedly in Haley's camp. It will be interesting to see how he handles things once the team begins to break through and win a few, though.

FAX

whoman69
09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree with FAX. Its going to take awhile to change the mindset of this team and get enough talent on the field to compete. I'm more dissappointed in Pioli not looking to fix the o-line. I guess he figured they weren't going to be good anyway so no point in throwing money after a lost cause. But this team needs to learn how to win again and you can't do that with the same bunch of losers on the field.

Chiefnj2
09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Haley is teetering on the Mangini edge. Unlike Mangini, I think Haley has more self awareness and recognizes that there is a line where all the tough talk may fall on deaf ears.

Chiefnj2
09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Haley got too talkative. He should have kept it simple and said:

Q: Do you feel you are generally on the same page as far as the starting quarterback with Scott Pioli?

HALEY: “Yeah, I feel like we’re on the same page on everything. "

Q: Could you envision a scenario where Matt Cassel isn’t the starting quarterback this year?

HALEY: “I wouldn’t speculate on that. There were a lot of positives in Matt’s performance."

Q: From what you have seen of Brodie Croyle, is he capable of being an NFL quarterback?

Haley: "If you check your media guide, you'd see that Brodie has been an NFL quarterback the last several years."

Mr. Laz
09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Gee, is the media trying to create a QB controversy? Good Lord.
1. well ... yes, it's kinda of what they do

2. Cassel did play pretty crappy so it's going to come up until he plays well.

rockymtnchief
09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Q: Are you comfortable?

HALEY: “No, I’m not comfortable.”

Who's the dumbass that asked that???

Haley-"Yes, I'm very comfortable. 0-2 is exactly how I wanted to start the season."

Coogs
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Haley is an interesting guy. He has a chance to become a very, very good NFL head coach.

Personally, I think we're lucky to have this guy - rookie HC or no. I stand unabashedly in Haley's camp. FAX

:thumb:

ChiefaRoo
09-22-2009, 09:44 PM

FAX

FAX you are a voice of reason in an insane world.