PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Had a pro-public option rally outside my office today

Saul Good
09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
There were about a dozen or so pro-public option ralliers today outside my office building. (Why they chose there, I have no idea.) They had signs and everything. The funniest sign simply said "83% support the public option". This made me chuckle because of the questions it raises.

If the Democrats have the presidency, the House, and a supermajority in the Senate (at least they did recently and will again shortly), and 83% of the people support the public option, why bother holding a rally? Are they really trying to convince the other 17%? If 4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum, that means that 20% recommend sugary gum. They are saying that you are more likely to find a dentist who advocates the benefits of sugary gum than you are to find an average citizen against the public option. It seems like a serious waste of time to rally for something that the public is so overwhelmingly in favor of.

Also, where were the people clamoring for a "public option" a year ago, two years ago, and every year before that? I didn't hear anyone begging for a public option until after Congress brought it up. If they didn't need it bad enough to rally for it when nobody was talking about it, why do they need it so badly now? It's like a kid who had never heard of a toy until he saw a commercial who now needs it so bad that he can't imagine life without it. If a public option is so great, there should have been a groundswell for it long before now. To hold these rallies only after Obama has touted the plan seems a little disingenuous. Some might even call it astroturf.

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Astroturf is to 2009
as
Gamechanger is to 2008

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Oh, and to be on-topic: That's a pretty good point. If it truly were 83% approved then those moderate Dems wouldn't be hesitant to vote for the public option like they are now.

Taco John
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
That would properly be "publicer optioners"

Taco John
09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
puboptioner?

headsnap
09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Obama vowels:

S E I and U

Saul Good
09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
It just dawned on me that they were 100% white. It was more like a Klan rally than a health care rally, some might say.

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
It just dawned on me that they were 100% white. It was more like a Klan rally than a health care rally, some might say.
If you agree with Obama then you're racist. /alternate-universe Carter

Saul Good
09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
If you agree with Obama then you're racist. /alternate-universe Carter

Who are you, and what have you done with Reaper?

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Who are you, and what have you done with Reaper?
I'm left as fuck, but I like making jokes. About everyone and everything.

I also don't agree with the broad brushstrokes of racism that are being painted on all opponents of progressive agenda. I recognize that there are legitimate concerns that those subscribing to a philosophy of smaller government would and should have.

Saul Good
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm left as ****, but I like making jokes. About everyone and everything.

I also don't agree with the broad brushstrokes of racism that are being painted on all opponents of progressive agenda. I recognize that there are legitimate concerns that those subscribing to a philosophy of smaller government would and should have.

I'm going to throw these words in your face some day, and you'll wish you had never spoken honestly in DC.

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm going to throw these words in your face some day, and you'll wish you had never spoken honestly in DC.
I think you'll be wrong about that. I rarely speak dishonestly here. I can't even recall an example.

Saul Good
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I think you'll be wrong about that. I rarely speak dishonestly here. I can't even recall an example.

I'm just giving you shit.

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm just giving you shit.
Good. I like shit.

Reaper16
09-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Good. I like shit.\
Oh, did I say 'shit?' I meant 'pizza.' I like pizza. I wish you would have given me pizza.

Saul Good
09-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Good. I like shit.

You need to learn to turn the honesty on/off.

nstygma
09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
could this whole issue just be another distraction?

RINGLEADER
09-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh, and to be on-topic: That's a pretty good point. If it truly were 83% approved then those moderate Dems wouldn't be hesitant to vote for the public option like they are now.

"Hesitant" isn't the word for it.

You're going to see Democrats vote against the House bill and wear as a badge of honor. Especially the conservative Dems. In that regard it might even give them some cover depending on how successful the politicians are at screwing everything up. I'll be surprised if anything passes at this point -- and the only way it even has a chance is if the Dem senators REALLY stick their necks out on a plan that will start taxing people immediately but won't be fully operational for a decade.

That's a good plan.

patteeu
09-23-2009, 05:41 AM
There were about a dozen or so pro-public option ralliers today outside my office building. (Why they chose there, I have no idea.) They had signs and everything. The funniest sign simply said "83% support the public option". This made me chuckle because of the questions it raises.

If the Democrats have the presidency, the House, and a supermajority in the Senate (at least they did recently and will again shortly), and 83% of the people support the public option, why bother holding a rally? Are they really trying to convince the other 17%? If 4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum, that means that 20% recommend sugary gum. They are saying that you are more likely to find a dentist who advocates the benefits of sugary gum than you are to find an average citizen against the public option. It seems like a serious waste of time to rally for something that the public is so overwhelmingly in favor of.

Also, where were the people clamoring for a "public option" a year ago, two years ago, and every year before that? I didn't hear anyone begging for a public option until after Congress brought it up. If they didn't need it bad enough to rally for it when nobody was talking about it, why do they need it so badly now? It's like a kid who had never heard of a toy until he saw a commercial who now needs it so bad that he can't imagine life without it. If a public option is so great, there should have been a groundswell for it long before now. To hold these rallies only after Obama has touted the plan seems a little disingenuous. Some might even call it astroturf.

:LOL: Good stuff.

wild1
09-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I couldn't help but notice that you were working, while the pro-pub-opts were not.

KCWolfman
09-23-2009, 09:21 AM
83%?????
Were they polling only ghettos and trailer parks?

KCWolfman
09-23-2009, 09:21 AM
I couldn't help but notice that you were working, while the pro-pub-opts were not.

LMAO

HonestChieffan
09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
83%?????
Were they polling only ghettos and trailer parks?

Ghetto, like barrio, is so yesterday un-PC.

Please use Urban community.

Bootlegged
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Obama is the black Jimmy Hoffa.

http://www.seiu.org/2009/09/around-the-country-local-members-are-sick-of-big-insurance.php

3:36 PM Eastern - September 22, 2009
Around the country, local members are sick of big insurance
By Maria Tchijov

In August, we took our message of health care reform to our elected officials during town halls all across the country, and they listened. But, now that they are back in Washington, they are again under the influence of the insurance industry, which is fighting hard to defeat real reform.

So now we need to take on the insurance industry! Today, SEIU members all over the country took part in the "Big Insurance: Sick of It" rallies hosted by MoveOn, HCAN and our other progressive allies. From LA to New York, members arrived at offices of major health insurance providers and demanded to know why they were standing in the way of health care reform.

HCmarchers.jpg

MINNESOTA: Fifty SEIU members joined nearly 250 other activists in marching up to the doors of UnitedHealthcare. They presented their demands to UHC representatives, and staged a 15-minute die-in to bring home the point that insurance companies are truly killing Americans. Local member Tammy Brown, who participated in the protest, said, "Big insurance companies are a roadblock to reform. As long as they keeping reaping record profits, the rest of us will keep losing our raises, our health, and even our lives."

FLORIDA: A group of 60 people protested outside the headquarters of Hygeia, a subsidiary of UnitedHealthcare Group. A delegation of eight protestors met with Hygeia representatives and presented them with their demands.

Florida.jpg

NORTH DAKOTA: Fifty local activists met with the Vice President of Corporate Communications for Blue Cross/ Blue Shield in Fargo, North Dakota. She promised that BCBS would respond to their demands in writing by Friday, and suggested they also meet with the company's CEO.

NEBRASKA: A small group of SEIU members and supporters, led by a local pastor, formed a prayer circle outside the offices of UnitedHealthcare. The pastor also tried to deliver the group's demands to UHC executives, but the staff locked the doors to the building and would not let him enter.

NEW YORK: About 5,000 people attended an event outside the UHC offices at 1 Penn Plaza. One of the speakers, a new member of 32BJ, recounted how he was forced to go into debt paying for his wife's cancer treatment. Recently, he finally received health insurance, which has allowed him to pay for her medication.

COLORADO: Over 150 people, including 40 SEIU members, protested outside the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield building in Denver. Three of the participants shared their personal stories about being denied health insurance. Their stories were then underscored by a street theater demonstration that made the same point. The event culminated with three activists attempting to deliver the protestors' demands to BCBS officials. They were turned away at the front door.

morphius
09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Obama is the black Jimmy Hoffa.

http://www.seiu.org/2009/09/around-the-country-local-members-are-sick-of-big-insurance.php

3:36 PM Eastern - September 22, 2009
Around the country, local members are sick of big insurance
By Maria Tchijov

In August, we took our message of health care reform to our elected officials during town halls all across the country, and they listened. But, now that they are back in Washington, they are again under the influence of the insurance industry, which is fighting hard to defeat real reform.

So now we need to take on the insurance industry! Today, SEIU members all over the country took part in the "Big Insurance: Sick of It" rallies hosted by MoveOn, HCAN and our other progressive allies. From LA to New York, members arrived at offices of major health insurance providers and demanded to know why they were standing in the way of health care reform.

HCmarchers.jpg

MINNESOTA: Fifty SEIU members joined nearly 250 other activists in marching up to the doors of UnitedHealthcare. They presented their demands to UHC representatives, and staged a 15-minute die-in to bring home the point that insurance companies are truly killing Americans. Local member Tammy Brown, who participated in the protest, said, "Big insurance companies are a roadblock to reform. As long as they keeping reaping record profits, the rest of us will keep losing our raises, our health, and even our lives."

FLORIDA: A group of 60 people protested outside the headquarters of Hygeia, a subsidiary of UnitedHealthcare Group. A delegation of eight protestors met with Hygeia representatives and presented them with their demands.

Florida.jpg

NORTH DAKOTA: Fifty local activists met with the Vice President of Corporate Communications for Blue Cross/ Blue Shield in Fargo, North Dakota. She promised that BCBS would respond to their demands in writing by Friday, and suggested they also meet with the company's CEO.

NEBRASKA: A small group of SEIU members and supporters, led by a local pastor, formed a prayer circle outside the offices of UnitedHealthcare. The pastor also tried to deliver the group's demands to UHC executives, but the staff locked the doors to the building and would not let him enter.

NEW YORK: About 5,000 people attended an event outside the UHC offices at 1 Penn Plaza. One of the speakers, a new member of 32BJ, recounted how he was forced to go into debt paying for his wife's cancer treatment. Recently, he finally received health insurance, which has allowed him to pay for her medication.

COLORADO: Over 150 people, including 40 SEIU members, protested outside the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield building in Denver. Three of the participants shared their personal stories about being denied health insurance. Their stories were then underscored by a street theater demonstration that made the same point. The event culminated with three activists attempting to deliver the protestors' demands to BCBS officials. They were turned away at the front door.
So outside of NYC they were able to get less than 1000 people to show up? WOW! With that kind of showing I'm sure the insurance companies will rethink their ways, lol.