PDA

View Full Version : Obama Border Crossing Closed After Illegals Open Fire

HonestChieffan
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
While Obama relaxes in a $7000 a night room at the Waldorf, things on the border move to a new level. Maybe he needs to have a beer with these guys and sort it all out?

U.S. closes Mexico border crossing after shootout
Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46pm EDT

By Lizbeth Diaz

TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - U.S. authorities closed the world's busiest land border crossing on Tuesday after a shootout between suspected Mexican human traffickers and U.S. agents, U.S. officials said.

"The port is closed and will remain closed for several hours," U.S. Customs and Border Patrol spokeswoman Angelica Decima said after the incident at the congested San Ysidro crossing between the Mexican city of Tijuana and San Diego.

The suspected smugglers shot across busy lines of traffic at U.S. agents when they tried to stop three vans packed with about 70 illegal immigrants from crossing into the United States, the officials said.

The agents returned fire, and three people in the vans and a motorist were wounded, said Lauren Mack, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Mexico's violent drug gangs are increasingly moving into the lucrative people-smuggling business, but tight U.S. border security is forcing them to take bigger risks to get narcotics and illegal immigrants into the United States.

Tuesday's brazen attempt was unprecedented at the heavily guarded crossing where helicopters circle overhead and armed agents with dogs keep watch at a series of staggered checkpoints.

All the illegal immigrants were arrested and taken into custody and the crossing, a major smuggling corridor for narcotics and illegal immigrants, was shut while police carried out the investigation.

Some 90 million people a year use the California-Mexico land border crossings, with almost half the traffic going through San Ysidro alone.

Angry drivers started blaring car horns as a huge traffic jam built up on the Mexican side while U.S. agents signaled them to turn round.

"I've never known the entire crossing to be closed before. We just didn't believe the agents when they told us to turn around," said a Mexican student who gave his name as Juan Carlos and who crosses the border almost daily.

U.S. officials are directing motorists to California's other six border crossing, which also handle trucks.

(Reporting by Lizbeth Diaz in Tijuana, Robin Emmott in Monterrey and Tim Gaynor in Phoenix, editing by Philip Barbara)

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE58M0FI20090923?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=22&sp=true

BucEyedPea
09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Holy Cow! This is getting out of hand.

Iowanian
09-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Relax. They're just here for opportunity to better their lives.

stevieray
09-23-2009, 07:26 AM
....after the illegals were arrested, they were taken to the ER.

Amnorix
09-23-2009, 07:26 AM
U.S. authorities closed the world's busiest land border crossing on Tuesday after a shootout between suspected Mexican human traffickers and U.S. agents, U.S. officials said.

You get that the shootout wasn't with the illegals, but with the drug gang henchmen that are increasingly moving into human trafficking because its getting more and more lucrative and difficult, right?

And yes, I can clearly see how this is all Obama's fault.

BucEyedPea
09-23-2009, 07:27 AM
....after the illegals were arrested, they were taken to the ER.

ROFL

BucEyedPea
09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
You get that the shootout wasn't with the illegals, but with the drug gang henchmen that are increasingly moving into human trafficking because its getting more and more lucrative and difficult, right?

So those guys are legal? They're operating within the law?

Amnorix
09-23-2009, 07:29 AM
So those guys are legal? They're operating within the law?

No idea how you get that from what I said.

I'm merely correcting the OP, or maybe clarifying it.

HonestChieffan
09-23-2009, 07:30 AM

What is legal about "Human Trafficers"?...and the "Humans" they traffic wouldn't they be like currently mexicans who want to be illegals in the US?

Don't sit down, your head is stuck in your ass this morning.

Amnorix
09-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Agreed that the traffickers were presumably illegals, though I don't think we knwo for sure (possibly they had some kind of visas for transiting, but abused it to engage in human trafficking).

But they weren't necessarily planning on staying.

Eh, maybe I'm reading the OP too closely. I'm definitely not trying to defend either the illegals or the traffickers.

BucEyedPea
09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
I don't think anyone who violate laws in human trafficking would get a visa to do it.
I mean if they're involved in human trafficking then they're are in the business of violating immigration laws.

HonestChieffan
09-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't think anyone who violate laws in human trafficking would get a visa to do it.
I mean if they're involved in human trafficking then they're are in the business of violating immigration laws.

ACORN may be able to help. You just need a different code than the one for "Human Trafficer". Maybe use one for "Bus Driver" or "Self Employed Adventure Seeker"

Amnorix
09-23-2009, 08:10 AM

As far as I can tell they attempted the crossing at a highly guarded spot. It doesnt' seem tehy were trying to sneak in on backroads. I would guess that they were trying to pass themselves off as doing something legal. Which presumably requires some type of visa.

But yes, obviously we're talking about hardened criminals with no respect for life, and obviously people who were intentionally trying to break immigration laws. Nobody is painting them as saints.

wild1
09-23-2009, 08:36 AM
ACORN may be able to help. You just need a different code than the one for "Human Trafficer". Maybe use one for "Bus Driver" or "Self Employed Adventure Seeker"

There you go, this organization -with which the prez did business unless I'm mistaken- was trying to help human traffickers just last week ply their trade in peace. If Acorn were just freed to do their job in our communities, this never would have happened.

HonestChieffan
09-23-2009, 08:47 AM
There you go, this organization -with which the prez did business unless I'm mistaken- was trying to help human traffickers just last week ply their trade in peace. If Acorn were just freed to do their job in our communities, this never would have happened.

You Racist.

Simplex3
09-23-2009, 08:54 AM
So when do we start hearing people cry about the border guards shooting back at the traffickers? I'd bet a dollar that at least one of the people shot was in the back of the van and being transported.

wild1
09-23-2009, 09:02 AM
So when do we start hearing people cry about the border guards shooting back at the traffickers? I'd bet a dollar that at least one of the people shot was in the back of the van and being transported.

Good point, they'll probably be put on trial for it.