PDA

View Full Version : Religion How I spent my afternoon on the first day of fall...

oldandslow
09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Don't take offense. Our way of worship is no better than anyone else. I just thought some of you might enjoy reading this.

A boy and his dad climbed the hill toward the woods, backpack in hand. Sumac shimmers, burnt red and orange, the dry grass crunches underfoot, and the breeze tickles the yellow leaves on the cottonwoods. The boy nearly steps into a hole that has undoubtedly been dug by one of the coyotes that reside on the hill. The clouds hang low, shades of pale gray but remain impotent. No rain falls this day. The boy, his long hair falling away from his brown face looks up to his dad and asked, “Is this the spot?”

The dad answers by sitting down and begins to take the contents from the backpack.

The first day of Autumn – Canapeghi Wi – and it is time to pray.

From the top of the hill they could see for many miles, all the way into Nebraska. Fields of corn, alfalfa, and soybeans speckle the landscape. In spots, close to creeks and ultimately the river, trees mark water paths. Here and there, fields of grass, nearly brown, provide a marked contrast to the Alfalfa, which is still quite green. Crows sound their familiar “caw” alerting their brothers to human presence. The boy states that he can see forever; the dad simply smiles and says that we can see all we need to see.

The two pick out a red piece of cloth for the prayer tie, along with a strip of yellow to bind the top. The boy reaches into the pack and brings out sage and tobacco. He lays a hefty amount of both on top of the cloth and asks with his eyes if that is enough. The dad answers by tying the cloth. They have sit down by a small wild plum and they take the prayer cloth and tie it to the tree.

The boy rises and begins to pray…

“Wakan Tanka, please forgive me for any offense.

Pilamayaya yelo for my mom and dad and brother and sister.

I pray for all my relatives.

Keep them warm this winter.”

It is enough.

The dad took out the pipe and filled it with tobacco and sage.

The boy took a match and lit it as the man knelt beside him.

Rising, facing the east, the man begins his prayer.

“Wakan Tanka, please forgive me for any offense.

Pilamayaya yelo for this little one, and for this time to pray together.

I lift my pipe to the four sacred directions and ask guidance.

I pray for ina macha, may we learn not to scar her.

I pray for all my relatives, may they stay well.

I pray for my wife, may she know my love.

I pray for my friend, Mary, may she find peace during troubles.

Wakan Tanka, pilamayaya yelo for the sun that rises in the east.”

The man faces the north. He smokes.

“The harsh, bitter wind will soon come from grandfather’s house in the north.

I pray for the creatures in the field and the humans without shelter. May they find warmth.

I am thankful for the harvest that you have given us this summer so that we may eat during the cold months.

The man faces south. He smokes. The north breeze carries it down the hill.

Wakan Tanka, Pilamayaya yelo, for the summer breeze, its warmth and gentle spirit revive us.

We will watch for the spring and the return of live she brings.

Finally, the man faces west – the direction of the spirit world. He brings his pipe to his lips one last time.

“Wakan Tanka, please forgive me for asking this.

I am growing old. I know this. Please, grant me life to see this little one grow. It is my greatest desire to see him become a man and begin his journey.

I pray to be here to guide him, his sister and his brother.

It is my only wish from this world.”

With that, the prayer ends. The boy takes the cloth, tobacco, sage and pipe and places them in their containers and into the backpack. He reaches for his father’s hand and they begin their walk down the hill.

A hawk screeches overhead. Their prayers have been heard.

It is a good day.

tooge
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
That is kick ass. I dont care what religion anyone is, that is a wonderful prayer and an incredible pulpit from which to diliver it

asdf
09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
That's excellent....thanks for sharing

***SPRAYER
09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
That is kick ass. I dont care what religion anyone is, that is a wonderful prayer and an incredible pulpit from which to diliver it

You better pray to God Hamas Jenkins doesn't see that.

:(

vailpass
09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Cool.