PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Moving backward to last sunday

LaChapelle
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM
It never got much attention. The on side kick.

salame
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I liked it
I thought I was watching Madden

OnTheWarpath58
09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
I love the aggressiveness, though would have enjoyed it more had he been aggressive on the 4th-and-1 play before it.

tonyetony
09-23-2009, 06:46 PM
If only we had the talent to pull it off. :D

KCrockaholic
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
If it had worked Haley would be hailed a "genious". I liked the chance though. Not a bad move.

KCUnited
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
If Bradley's on the field that's our ball.

BigVE
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Great call and great timing...poor execution.

Von Dumbass
09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
It shows Haley doesn't have a lot of confidence in his team. You shouldn't be pulling that crap early in the game ESPECIALLY this early in the season. Only 4-12 teams do that crap and they do it at the very end of the season against teams they know are better than them.

milkman
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
It shows Haley doesn't have a lot of confidence in his team. You shouldn't be pulling that crap early in the game ESPECIALLY this early in the season. Only 4-12 teams do that crap and they do it at the very end of the season against better teams.

You don't have a fucking clue.

Jeff Fisher as recently as last year "pulled that crap"

KCrockaholic
09-23-2009, 06:56 PM
You don't have a ****ing clue.

He never has a ****ing clue.

DeezNutz
09-23-2009, 07:00 PM
In isolation, I love the call.

Within the larger context of what just happened, going from ultra-conservative to ultra-aggressive, it made no sense. As a Royals fan, it was something that Trey Hillman would endorse.

BigMeatballDave
09-23-2009, 07:03 PM
It shows Haley doesn't have a lot of confidence in his team. You shouldn't be pulling that crap early in the game ESPECIALLY this early in the season. Only 4-12 teams do that crap and they do it at the very end of the season against teams they know are better than them.Go fuck your mother...

MoreLemonPledge
09-23-2009, 07:05 PM
If Sippio's on the field that's our ball.

FYP

keg in kc
09-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Wished it had been executed better, but I liked it because it was an element of the unexpected that we haven't seen here in as long as I've watched the team.

If anything, I thought it showed a great deal of confidence in the defense, and they delivered.

KCrockaholic
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Go gangbang your mother...

FYP

KCrockaholic
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Funniest part was that it threw off the Raiders offensive gameplan. They planned for an 80 yard drive. We gave them 40 and they acted retarded.

JASONSAUTO
09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
You don't have a fucking clue.

didnt andy reid do it against us one year on the opening kickoff?

keg in kc
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
didnt andy reid do it against us one year on the opening kickoff?Although I'm not certain it was the opening kickoff (it may have been, I just can't remember), I'm pretty sure he did pull one on us.

cdcox
09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Clearly this wasn't just a random act of aggression. They ran it because the scouting and preparation dictated it. The Raiders didn't even contest the kick because all of their guys were running backward to set up the return. More often that not, an on-side kick will work in that situation. If teams know that we'll do that, it keeps their front men honest and will probably improve our coverage on regular kickoffs because their blockers are late getting back. It shows that the coaches are doing their job, so heck yes I liked it.

BossChief
09-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Bill Parcells started a season opener with one.

I believe Haley was on the staff that year.

Its all about trying to gain an advantage over your opponent by catching them off guard. This is why teams spread teams out and pass on third and one and occasionally run draws on third and long.

Look at the wildcat in general, its whole purpose is to confuse defenses and I think it is no coincedence Parcells had a part in bringing that to the nfl, as well.

Haley showed he had confidence in his defense by making the call and wanted to pull a fast one.

If we had gotten it and we pulled out a victory, Haley would be getting the props because of his agressiveness and this would have been a featured call for sure.

such is the nfl

Terribilis
09-23-2009, 07:33 PM
didn't Andy Reid do it against us one year on the opening kickoff?
I believe it was to start the second half. I remember because it pissed me off soooo much. They eventually won the game.

Mr. Laz
09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
fine with me

okcchief
09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I had no problem with it. I just didn't understand why you don't go for it on 4th and 1 on the Raiders 5 and then follow it up with an onside kick. Seemed like polar opposite decisions but maybe that is what they were thinking. I'm being patient but that and the clock managment before half had me scratching my head a bit.

LaChapelle
09-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Haley tried it with the Raiders offense having only 1 possession. A 3 and out, but damn.

MahiMike
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I love that stuff. This week - fake FG attempt!

el borracho
09-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I like that Haley has the stones and the imagination to do things like that. As far the timing of it, 2nd game, 2nd Raidurr possession, well... I just don't care this year. We are a bad, bad football team this year. If we can get a lift out of some chicanery, then so be it. Flea flickers, hook and ladders, statue of liberty... whatever. As long as we are legitimately evaluating players and coaches this year which, IMO, should be the framing around everything the Chiefs do in the next 3 months.

JASONSAUTO
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Although I'm not certain it was the opening kickoff (it may have been, I just can't remember), I'm pretty sure he did pull one on us.

I believe it was to start the second half. I remember because it pissed me off soooo much. They eventually won the game.

i'm pretty sure that it was the opening KO. i was trying to hurry and pickup some BBQ and caught it on their TV(before tivo) but i guess i could have ran there during the half.

WhitiE
09-23-2009, 08:45 PM
i loved it. i dont think herm would have ever had the balls to do it cuz he wouldnt have wanted people questioning him Haley on the other hand dosent seem to care what most people think.

Terribilis
09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
i'm pretty sure that it was the opening KO. i was trying to hurry and pickup some BBQ and caught it on their TV(before tivo) but i guess i could have ran there during the half.
this would be good to know for sure.
I feel like we had a lead, and I was really comfortable with the outlook of the game (typical chiefs fan) and bam onsides kick recovered.
if I am wrong (which I probably am) this is going to say a lot to me about the damage of alcohol to my brain.

Count Alex's Losses
09-23-2009, 08:49 PM
How can you not love that call after Herm?

Haley knew Oakland wasn't going to do shit. They got the ball right back.

If Leggett hadn't fucked up...

JASONSAUTO
09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
this would be good to know for sure.
I feel like we had a lead, and I was really comfortable with the outlook of the game (typical chiefs fan) and bam onsides kick recovered.
if I am wrong (which I probably am) this is going to say a lot to me about the damage of alcohol to my brain.

wasnt it on MNF? i am pretty sure it was a night game. but yeah i drank a shit ton back then so who knows...

banyon
09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Herm would've had a stroke if someone snuck this call past him last year.

OnTheWarpath58
09-23-2009, 09:15 PM
How can you not love that call after Herm?

Haley knew Oakland wasn't going to do shit. They got the ball right back.

If Leggett hadn't fucked up...

ROFL

Yeah, if Leggett hadn't betrayed the laws of physics...

Raised On Riots
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I voted Holthus. Hearing "Touchdown, KANSAS CITY"! is so rare, I actually do JIMP when I hear it.

rockymtnchief
09-23-2009, 09:39 PM
It shows Haley doesn't have a lot of confidence in his team. You shouldn't be pulling that crap early in the game ESPECIALLY this early in the season. Only 4-12 teams do that crap and they do it at the very end of the season against teams they know are better than them.

:shake:
I still haven't figured out if you're really stupid or just trying to stir up shit.

Count Alex's Losses
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
ROFL

Yeah, if Leggett hadn't betrayed the laws of physics...

Leggett had the ball secured. He fell to the ground and dropped it like a pussy.

OnTheWarpath58
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Leggett had the ball secured. He fell to the ground and dropped it like a pussy.

GIF it up then.

I don't think he could have stayed in bounds.

Count Alex's Losses
09-23-2009, 09:52 PM
GIF it up then.

I don't think he could have stayed in bounds.

He was forced out. The only reason we didn't get the ball is because he couldn't secure it.

It's just like a catch.

OnTheWarpath58
09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
He was forced out. The only reason we didn't get the ball is because he couldn't secure it.

It's just like a catch.

There is no "force out" rule anymore.

You come down inbounds, or you don't.

He would not have come down inbounds even if he had control.

Count Alex's Losses
09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
There is no "force out" rule anymore.

You come down inbounds, or you don't.

He would not have come down inbounds even if he had control.

Hmmmm....well I know he got one foot down. The other was obscured. The refs seemed to indicate it was because he dropped the ball.

Count Alex's Losses
09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Hmmm...yeah, it was just one foot.

Molitoth
09-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I thought it was a bullshit call, considering they just gave up on going for it on 4th and 1 from deep in opponant territory and settleing for a measly field goal.

Instead we get 3 points and the Raiders got the ball at the 50 yard line?

I like the suprise of an onside kick, but why not take the chance on a 4th and 1 instead?

Shag
09-23-2009, 10:01 PM
It was a well executed play, it was just bad luck on the last hop. If it does anything other than take that big last hop, it's Chiefs ball. Bad break...

OnTheWarpath58
09-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I thought it was a bullshit call, considering they just gave up on going for it on 4th and 1 from deep in opponant territory and settleing for a measly field goal.

Instead we get 3 points and the Raiders got the ball at the 50 yard line?

I like the suprise of an onside kick, but why not take the chance on a 4th and 1 instead?

I'm with you.

I would have felt a lot better about such an aggressive call had he been aggressive on 4th-and-1 from the 5 yard line.

I love the aggressiveness, but why so passive on 4th and 1?

HC_Chief
09-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Loved the call, loved the execution until Leggett bobbled the f*cking ball out of bounds.

It was the perfect call with the perfect formation with the perfect kick. You HAVE to catch the ball when it lands in yourg oddamn hands!

JASONSAUTO
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm with you.

I would have felt a lot better about such an aggressive call had he been aggressive on 4th-and-1 from the 5 yard line.

I love the aggressiveness, but why so passive on 4th and 1?

if they had and not made it people would have bitched about that too. but they probably figured they should take the points. and IIRC they had already gone for it on 4th down on the FG series just to get in FG range, not too passive if you REALLY look back.

JASONSAUTO
09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Loved the call, loved the execution until Leggett bobbled the f*cking ball out of bounds.

It was the perfect call with the perfect formation with the perfect kick. You HAVE to catch the ball when it lands in yourg oddamn hands!

and did anyone else notice that haley was the first guy to go to the kicker and give him a pat on the back? THAT ASSHOLE.

Coogs
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM

I also loved the way the defense responded to the ploy. They were pretty good on the first series anyway, but they really seemed to have some fire on that second series. I think they liked the coach having the faith in them to withstand the short field if we did not recover.

Great move IMO!

SDChiefs
09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
He never has a ****ing clue.

Hes a Bronco fan, what do you expect?

KCChiefsMan
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I liked it, it should have worked. It wasn't the easiest catch for Leggit, but should have came down with it