PDA

View Full Version : Life BEEEEEAAAAAARRRRR!

Rain Man
09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Not beer. Bear.

I think it's time for me to buy lottery tickets.

Tonight, for the second time this summer, I almost hit a bear in a car. I'm up in the mountains on a business trip, and my coworker was driving. Seeing it before I did, she hit the brakes and out of the corner of my eye I saw a really odd movement of black on the left side of the road. I thought it was shadows because it was pitch black, and it obviously wasn't a deer, and I thought maybe it was a big dog, but the blackness and the movement instantly seemed odd and unfamiliar.

And then all of a sudden this very good-sized jet black bear comes running out of the weeds right in front of the car. We were completely stopped and just watched as it ran across right in front of us and climbed the little hill/cliff on the right side of the road. It was a big one, too.

Earlier this summer, I was at a wedding in the mountains, and the wedding was at a ski lodge on top of a mountain. We rode a ski lift up to the ceremony, but it closed down for the evening and they had vans to ferry people down the dirt road back to the resort. Same thing there. The van was driving and suddenly hit the brakes, and I looked ahead to see a black bear not 15 feet away running across the road. We had seen it earlier at the reception wandering around outside the lodge (nothing disrupts a wedding reception like someone yelling "Bear!"), so technically I have three independent sightings this year.

But that one tonight was way cool. I got a really good look at it. If we'd been driving my convertible I'd probably be dead and the bear would be driving the apricot Beemer around in the woods now.

Bowser
09-23-2009, 09:21 PM
You need to hire Bwana to ride shotgun. You could probably write off the expense, as well.

Dartgod
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Tonight, for the second time this summer, I almost hit a bear in a car.
Was he driving or just riding shotgun?

Fat Elvis
09-23-2009, 09:25 PM
You about hit a bear in a car? If he had one of those clowns with him in the car, you should of hit the gas and taken them both out.

CosmicPal
09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Dude, you should know better than to walk around with that Baby Ruth bar in your pocket.

Scorp
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Guns don't kill people.....Bears kill people!

Rain Man
09-23-2009, 09:28 PM

They never use their signals.

The weird thing is, I have now had more near misses with bears than with deer or for that matter any other large animal. I've only had one near miss with a deer, and no near misses with anything else, though I once had to steer around a bighorn sheep herd on the shoulder, which was pretty cool.

That has to be an exceedingly rare statistic.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-23-2009, 09:35 PM
When we were in Estes Park last summer we were awakened one night by something knocking over beer bottles on our patio, I was hoping it was going to be a bear but when I peeked through the curtains I was disappointed to only see a damn raccoon out there.

aturnis
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
apricot Beemer

What is wrong with you?! :spock::doh!::D

badgirl
09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Not beer. Bear.

I think it's time for me to buy lottery tickets.

Tonight, for the second time this summer, I almost hit a bear in a car. I'm up in the mountains on a business trip, and my coworker was driving. Seeing it before I did, she hit the brakes and out of the corner of my eye I saw a really odd movement of black on the left side of the road. I thought it was shadows because it was pitch black, and it obviously wasn't a deer, and I thought maybe it was a big dog, but the blackness and the movement instantly seemed odd and unfamiliar.

And then all of a sudden this very good-sized jet black bear comes running out of the weeds right in front of the car. We were completely stopped and just watched as it ran across right in front of us and climbed the little hill/cliff on the right side of the road. It was a big one, too.

Earlier this summer, I was at a wedding in the mountains, and the wedding was at a ski lodge on top of a mountain. We rode a ski lift up to the ceremony, but it closed down for the evening and they had vans to ferry people down the dirt road back to the resort. Same thing there. The van was driving and suddenly hit the brakes, and I looked ahead to see a black bear not 15 feet away running across the road. We had seen it earlier at the reception wandering around outside the lodge (nothing disrupts a wedding reception like someone yelling "Bear!"), so technically I have three independent sightings this year.

But that one tonight was way cool. I got a really good look at it. If we'd been driving my convertible I'd probably be dead and the bear would be driving the apricot Beemer around in the woods now.

The bear was in a car?:eek:

CosmicPal
09-23-2009, 09:49 PM
I'll never forget the time I went hiking one time while living in Colorado. Can't remember the name of the park now, but it was southwest of Denver. Anyways, I pull up to the gate and the ranger there says, "Today's your lucky day fellow! There's been reports of a mother and her two cubs being spotted in the park today. Several sightings already!"

I reply, "Oh?"

"Yeah, AND there's been reported sightings of a mountain lion too." He looks at me as I'm sitting there imaging the carnage my dog and I are about to face when he adds, "But, you'll be okay."

Needless to say, I endured a very nervous hike wondering every minute or so if I should turn back.

JOhn
09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Big Foot?

JOhn
09-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Ehh, besides it was only a Black bear. :rolleyes:

Now come up here and Bwana or I can take you out and show you a real bear. Oh and make sure your wearing pork chop scented deodorant, the Grizzlies love that.:evil:

OnTheWarpath58
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM

http://www.delgenio.com/thestud/roflcopter.gif

JOhn
09-24-2009, 12:05 AM
http://www.delgenio.com/thestud/roflcopter.gif ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

rockymtnchief
09-24-2009, 07:26 AM
About two years ago I was working along the road in the ditch when cars started honking and yelling at me. It was so windy that I couldn't hear them. Just then, a black bear comes flying across the road and down into the ditch with me. Luckily, it saw my ugly mug and took off to my right and went up a hill. In hindsight, I wish I would've flexed so I looked like a bad-ass to the people yelling at me. Instead, I was too busy trying to figure out how to kill it with a pair of snips and can wrench.

Then, two months ago, I came down the trail and was face-to-face with a BIG black bear. About three feet were between us. It sat there grunting at me as I backed up saying, "Oh shit oh shit oh shit", in a calm voice. Luckily, it just watched me back up, go to the other side of the valley, and walk by him. No matter how much I yelled at it, it wouldn't leave the trail.

Dartgod
09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
The bear was in a car?:eek:
That's pretty funny. I wish I'd have thought of it.

Demonpenz
09-24-2009, 07:48 AM
beary good story

Great Expectations
09-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Is your co-worker hot?

Jilly
09-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Is your co-worker hot?

How did this take 19 posts?

Iowanian
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
A bear is on my list of things to take with a bow. Have you considered being a bear hunting outfitter?

Maybe you could chase a griz through the cabin....It's really fortunate that you found that Hawkin Rifle.

http://www.ldsfilm.com/ar/images/CinemaSouthwest12.jpg

gblowfish
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I saw a black bear in Arkansas last week driving through the Ouchita National Forest. I was about ten miles east of Hwy 71 on US 270 near "Y City" Junction. He was about 125 lbs or so, running along the side of the road, then cut up into the forest.

Bears run pretty fast, it was cool to see him.

Jilly
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I saw a black bear in Arkansas last week driving through the Ouchita National Forest. I was about ten miles east of Hwy 71 on US 270 near "Y City" Junction. He was about 125 lbs or so, running along the side of the road, then cut up into the forest.

Bears run pretty fast, it was cool to see him.

sexist, it could have been a girl bear

gblowfish
09-24-2009, 10:42 AM
sexist, it could have been a girl bear

Yep, it could have been. I didn't get close enough to check out his (or her) bear package...