PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: KC certain about QB, while Eagles are uncertain

Tribal Warfare
09-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Chiefs notebook: KC certain about QB, while Eagles are uncertain (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1465439.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Whether or not the Chiefs have a quarterback controversy — coach Todd Haley denied they do on Wednesday — they are, for a change, the team in Sunday’s game at Philadelphia that has certainty over the identity of its starting passer.

Matt Cassel will go for the Chiefs. The situation is murkier for the Eagles. Donovan McNabb, recovering from a broken rib, did not practice Wednesday, leaving Kevin Kolb as the likely starter against the Chiefs. Kolb started last week’s game and threw for 391 yards in Philadelphia’s loss to New Orleans.

“Anybody capable of doing that, I think that’s a pretty big positive for that kid,” Haley said.

But the Eagles have yet to rule out McNabb, so the Chiefs have to prepare for the possibility he could play.

“We’ll see,” Eagles coach Any Reid said of McNabb. “He’s been throwing the ball a little bit and moving around and feels quite a bit better than he did last week. We’re just taking it day by day and see how he does here.”

Haley didn’t back off comments he made Tuesday saying Cassel had to play well in order to keep his starting spot. Haley indicated he was just sending the same message about his quarterback that he would regarding a player at another position.

“There is not a quarterback controversy,” Haley said. “My message is going to continue to be consistent to you guys.”

Defending the wildcat

The Eagles use the wildcat formation about as effectively as any team. They ran a play from the wildcat nine times in the loss to the Saints and averaged more than six yards.

Philadelphia used three different players, wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson and running back Brian Westbrook, to take the wildcat snaps.

“They’re all good athletes,” Reid said. “It’s just another way to get the ball in their hands. We were pretty productive in that phase of things. When all was said and done there, we had quite a few yards with that.”

Now they can use Michael Vick, who is eligible to play for Philadelphia for the first time on Sunday. Preparing for several different players in the wildcat should also be taxing on the Chiefs.

“You don’t always know what skills those guys have other than what you’ve seen them play at their position,” Haley said. “Obviously, a guy like (Vick) probably throws I would think better than any of them. That adds another dimension to it with his ability to run and throw.”

Maclin’s growing role

Maclin, the first-round draft pick from Missouri, has been only a bit player for the Eagles so far. He has two catches for 12 yards.

His playing time has increased lately. Maclin signed after the start of training camp and started slowly.

“I’ve done all the right things and I’ll be out there,” Maclin said. “I was out there a bunch last Sunday and I’ll be out there hopefully a bunch this Sunday. It’s using the strengths of the guys you have on your team to be successful. That’s one thing the guys here at Philadelphia do very well. We definitely get the ball in the right guys’ hands at the right time.”

Injury report

The Chiefs listed Cassel (knee), cornerback Brandon Flowers (shoulder), guard Brian Waters (ankle), linebacker Derrick Johnson (groin) and tight end Jake O’Connell (ankle) as being limited in practice.

McNabb (rib), Westbrook (ankle) and Jackson (groin) didn’t practice for the Eagles. Among the players listed by Philadelphia as limited was starting wide receiver Kevin Curtis (knee).

Philadelphia also listed four starters who participated fully: offensive linemen Max Jean-Gilles (knee), tackle Winston Justice (hamstring), defensive end Victor Abiamiri (groin) and linebacker Omar Gaither (neck).

cdirty
09-24-2009, 12:14 AM
so should i start Jackson in fantasy?

T-post Tom
09-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Vick will be booed off the field the first time he does anything less than stellar.

BTW, Anyone know the over/under on the number of PETA protesters arrested at or near the stadium on game day?

bigpimpingchief
09-24-2009, 06:58 AM
Vick will be booed off the field the first time he does anything less than stellar.

BTW, Anyone know the over/under on the number of PETA protesters arrested at or near the stadium on game day?

Living only an hour away from Philly they were talking on the local sports radio yesterday that the Eagles had a meeting with PETA to figure out how many people were going to be protesting but I'm expecting a good number. I've been listening to the eagles radio all week just listening to the crazy eagles fans.

Pioli Zombie
09-24-2009, 07:00 AM
I just dropped Maclin from my team. That means he will catch 10 passes for 131 yards on sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Warrior5
09-24-2009, 08:15 AM
For some reason I don't think the Eagles' QB situation is gonna matter much in this game...