PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports KC Coyotes?

jwazzie
09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Before you say I am an idiot, here is the quote found on Truth and Rumors on CNNSI. Yes, just rumors, but something that I hope will happen, and should.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/120153-coyotes-destined-for-kansas-city?eref=sihp

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
u can have the ducks

KCtotheSB
09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Kansas City Islanders

Fish
09-24-2009, 09:34 AM
The Sprint Center is a "sparking" arena huh?

If Glendale fails to secure a new partner for the Coyotes (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4629) by the end of 2009, the leading contender for relocation is Kansas City, which already has a sparking arena (Sprint Center) clamoring for an anchor tenant.

POND_OF_RED
09-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I really hope we put that arena to good use. Using it on an NHL team just seems wasteful. Let's hope an NBA team comes along soon.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
They're going to Hamilton.
The Hamilton Hamsters.

CanadianChief
09-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Phoenix will end up in Hamilton if Balsillie ends up buying them.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Hamilton is the armpit of Ontario.

KCtotheSB
09-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I really hope we put that arena to good use. Using it on an NHL team just seems wasteful. Let's hope an NBA team comes along soon.

ROFLROFLROFL

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM

The NHL is 10 times more entertaining to watch than the NBA.

wild1
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
The team filed for bankruptcy earlier this year and it's been a soap opera. The league commissioner had set up a deal to sell the team to Jerry Reinsdorf (Chicago Bulls, White Sox) and keep them in AZ, but the team's distressed owner had another deal in place to sell them to someone else who would move them, possibly to Hamilton Ontario, where there's already an arena (though supposedly not a super modern one). The league was angry about it so there's been a war going on but last I heard, there was only one open effort to buy the team and move them, the aforementioned Hamilton group. Hamilton is smaller than KC and it's only 40 miles or so from Toronto.

They've had some talent in recent years, Shane Doan the best on the current team, but due to the ownership situation they've been sellers at the deadline recently, and haven't been to the playoffs since before the lockout (04-05).

Bearcat
09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I know someone has been trying to get them to move to Winnipeg, but haven't really kept up on it.... the Coyotes and Islanders are most likely at this point.

I was at the Islanders/Kings game at the Sprint Center the other night and it was pretty fun... someone had a sign "2010 KC Islanders".

They could be the Inlanders.

Why, because you won't watch it? The NHL does just as well as the NBA at the gate, despite a commissioner with an IQ of 14..... and at least back when it was on ESPN, KC had the highest tv ratings for the NHL of any non-NHL city.

The Poz
09-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Hamilton is the armpit of Ontario.

I was born and raised there. Really! :doh!:

At night it actually resembles Mordor.

Bearcat
09-24-2009, 09:47 AM
The team filed for bankruptcy earlier this year and it's been a soap opera. The league commissioner had set up a deal to sell the team to Jerry Reinsdorf (Chicago Bulls, White Sox) and keep them in AZ, but the team's distressed owner had another deal in place to sell them to someone else who would move them, possibly to Hamilton Ontario, where there's already an arena (though supposedly not a super modern one). The league was angry about it so there's been a war going on but last I heard, there was only one open effort to buy the team and move them, the aforementioned Hamilton group. Hamilton is smaller than KC and it's only 40 miles or so from Toronto.

They've had some talent in recent years, Shane Doan the best on the current team, but due to the ownership situation they've been sellers at the deadline recently, and haven't been to the playoffs since before the lockout (04-05).

Hamilton, Winnipeg.... meh.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I was born and raised there. Really! :doh!:

At night it actually resembles Mordor.

ROFL So true.

POND_OF_RED
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
The NHL is 10 times more entertaining to watch than the NBA.

I wouldn't know. I don't have Versus. When you have to have the Outdoor Channel to watch the Stanley cup I think it's time to admit that the "sport" is dead. Few people cared about it before the strike. After the strike I'd say it's about as popular as the WNBA. Probably has something to do with more WNBA games being televised than NHL games. It's stupid.

wild1
09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I know someone has been trying to get them to move to Winnipeg, but haven't really kept up on it.... the Coyotes and Islanders are most likely at this point.

Winnipeg's metro area is less than half the size of Kansas City's in terms of population. They'd play in the league's smallest arena, even smaller than Nassau, and be the smallest market, right out of the gate. I think Edmonton would be the smallest today, and it's still bigger than Winnipeg. I know a Canadian market would be more dedicated than Phoenix but I haven't heard of anyone who thinks the NHL will work there long term.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't know. I don't have Versus. When you have to have the Outdoor Channel to watch the Stanley cup I think it's time to admit that the "sport" is dead. Few people cared about it before the strike. After the strike I'd say it's about as popular as the WNBA. Probably has something to do with more WNBA games being televised than NHL games. It's stupid.

I'll admit, the NHL is dying and the strike really killed any momentum they had going.
Golf, NASCAR, WNBA and Bowling at this point are all in better shape but that doesn't make it right.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Winnipeg's the NYC of Manitoba

wild1
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM

There are games televised on Vs, NHL, and NBC on Sundays during the regular season. And if you're in market, they are carried by a Fox Sports or some other cable channel.

I'd be concerned about the NBA, there's one league with languishing TV ratings even with favorable media arrangements in place.

KC put 10,000 people in an arena this week on a Tuesday night for what was a glorified practice (Islanders were split-squad), between two essentially no-name teams at this point in league history. That's not too shabby at all.

Dartgod
09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Winnipeg's a shit hole
Fixed it.

vailpass
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM

NHL sucks ass on TV but is very exciting to watch live. Having said that I could care less if the Coyotes stay or go. This town is such a fair-weather fan town there is no way they support the 'yotes unless they are in first place every year. Let the team go somewhere that has real hockey fans, either out east or back to the great white north.

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
its too bad hockey sucks major ass because its actually kinda cool

The Poz
09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Southern Ontario is home to approximately 12 million people and Jim Ballsille is committed to giving Copps Coliseum a facelift - currently 19,000 capacity.
The problem of course from the NHL's point of view is selling tickets in American cities to see the "Hamilton Coyotes" when they come to town. But a couple big name players and that should be solved.

POND_OF_RED
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
KC put 10,000 people in an arena this week on a Tuesday night for what was a glorified practice (Islanders were split-squad), between two essentially no-name teams at this point in league history. That's not too shabby at all.

If you really think that would continually happen through a whole NHL season you are retarded. It's a novelty game. They don't get to see the NHL so they go to check it out to see what it's all about. The NBA preseason game has just as much "fan support"

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Southern Ontario is home to approximately 12 million people and Jim Ballsille is committed to giving Copps Coliseum a facelift - currently 19,000 capacity.
The problem of course from the NHL's point of view is selling tickets in American cities to see the "Hamilton Coyotes" when they come to town. But a couple big name players and that should be solved.

Like when GWG played for the Oilers.

Otter
09-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Ah, another hockey comment from the 'I don't know what back-checking means' peanut gallery. If you don't understand why it's so hard to watch a NATIONAL game on a channel besides the Outdoor Channel you don't understand what the strike was about. I have no problem watching teams play from my state.

Read before you speak.

Demonpenz
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM
back checking means hitting someone in the back btw

CanadianChief
09-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Fixed it.

Can't argue with you there.

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
The Sprint Center is a "sparking" arena huh?

If Glendale fails to secure a new partner for the Coyotes (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4629) by the end of 2009, the leading contender for relocation is Kansas City, which already has a sparking arena (Sprint Center) clamoring for an anchor tenant.

Not a chance. The NHL has a 242 million dollar offer on the table that would end up with the team in Hamilton. As soon as the owners realize they can't keep bankrolling that catastrophe, Jim Balsille's getting his team in southern Ontario. It doesn't matter if he has to pay Toronto a 200 million dollar relocation fee; he'll make his money back in under 10 years, quicker if the they become a consistent playoff team.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
If I lived in Winnipeg I'd be huffing gas with everybody else. It's fucking cold there and on top of that there's no more Jets.

CanadianChief
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
If I lived in Winnipeg I'd be huffing gas with everybody else. It's ****ing cold there and on top of that there's no more Jets.

Gas is too expensive

morphius
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
At this point I consider the NBA to be to basketball what Pro Wrestling is to MMA, I'd much rather watch a hockey game. And while the strike was a pain, I'm glad they at least did it for the right reason, its structured more like the NFL. While baseball goes through a big ugly strike and fixes nothing.

The_Doctor10
I'll admit, the NHL is dying and the strike really killed any momentum they had going.
Golf, NASCAR, WNBA and Bowling at this point are all in better shape but that doesn't make it right.

It was dying before the LOCKOUT. The game has grown its revenues and TV ratings each year since the work stoppage, and the salary cap that started at 39 million is now well over 50. Add to that the quality of play is at a standard not seen for probably 15-20 years, and that's a recipe for success.

Your comments would've been quite accurate six years ago. Now? Not so much.

Otter
back checking means hitting someone in the back btw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checking_%28ice_hockey%29

rockymtnchief
09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checking_%28ice_hockey%29

Thanks! I'll have to print that and take it to the bar and hand them out. I usually spend more time explaining the rules, strategy, and terminology than I do watching the game.

The good side is that I now have more people asking to watch hockey than basketball.

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Winnipeg's metro area is less than half the size of Kansas City's in terms of population. They'd play in the league's smallest arena, even smaller than Nassau, and be the smallest market, right out of the gate. I think Edmonton would be the smallest today, and it's still bigger than Winnipeg. I know a Canadian market would be more dedicated than Phoenix but I haven't heard of anyone who thinks the NHL will work there long term.

Winnipeg COULD have worked. However, for whatever reason, when they built the MTS Centre, KNOWING that a major reason the Jets left was the microscopic size of their original building, they only put about 15,000 seats in, and maybe 20 luxury suites. And I don't know how much renovating you'd need to do to a structure like that to add 4000 seats and 20 extra boxes, but I'd guess it's almost cheaper to build another rink, which isn't cost-effective at all.

Add to that Manitoba has absolutely nothing in terms of resources that make it a corporate centre... It's a farm province, pure and simple. Which, while essential, doesn't generate the dollars needed to sustain an NHL franchise.

The flipside is, with fuck all to give what little corporate money there is in Manitoba, it would ALL go to the Jets V 2.0

OnTheWarpath58
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
The Great One just resigned as Head Coach and Executive of the Coyotes:

http://www.gretzky.com/

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/gretzky-resigns-as-coach-of-phoenix-coyotes/

Wayne Gretzky has taken himself out of the picture as head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes

His statement, released on his Web site, said that he would be stepping down immediately as coach of the team. He had been away from the team during training camp and the preseason, with Ulf Samuelsson serving as acting head coach. Dave King, who has extensive experience has a head coach in North American and in Europe, was added as an assistant coach this week.

Gretzky said in his release: “This was a difficult decision that I’ve thought long and hard about. We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected. Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don’t fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it’s time for me to step aside.”

According to TSN.ca, Gretzky was named head coach of the club in August 2005 and signed a five-year contract to continue to serve as part owner, managing partner, alternate governor and head coach the next year.

Gretzky’s coaching record with the Coyotes is 143-161-24.

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
It was dying before the LOCKOUT. The game has grown its revenues and TV ratings each year since the work stoppage, and the salary cap that started at 39 million is now well over 50. Add to that the quality of play is at a standard not seen for probably 15-20 years, and that's a recipe for success.

Your comments would've been quite accurate six years ago. Now? Not so much.

Maybe it's just me... I haven't felt the same way about the MLB since the strike.rochambeau <-()I'm the yellow guy

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Maybe it's just me... I haven't felt the same way about the MLB since the strike.rochambeau <-()I'm the yellow guy

Which is understandable... Conspiracy theory for ya: The strike was actually designed to prevent the occurence of an All-Canadian World Series; the Blue Jays had won back to back titles, and the Expos were tearing it up before the strike, and clearly Selig could have none of that...

Fish
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM

You would be very ignorantly wrong. NHL has beaten the NBA in attendance quite a bit in the last decade. In cities with both NBA and NHL, they're consistently neck and neck in terms of attendance and sellouts.

NHL average attendance per game in 2007-08: 17,147
NBA average attendance per game in 2007-08: 17,141

Hockey is winning by 6 fans per game!

2007-08 NHL Attendance (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008)
2007-08 NBA Attendance (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance)

In terms of last year, NHL was super close as well, but just slightly lost.
NBA - 17,757
NHL - 16,961
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sports_leagues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues)

Check out the top 10 in total attendance worldwide! Very interesting! NHL Hockey is #3

Here are the head-to-head figures very early in both seasons thus far (numbers complied from ESPN's NBA (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2009) and NHL (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2009) attendance figures, prior to last night's games):
<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="197">City/State
</td><td valign="top" width="197">NBA/capacity
</td><td valign="top" width="197">NHL/capacity
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Atlanta
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,771 (4 games)/88.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">13,726 (8 games)/74.0
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Boston
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,624 (7 games)100.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,731 (8 games)/84.5
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Chicago
</td><td valign="top" width="197">21,818 (7 games)/100.5
</td><td valign="top" width="197">21,485 (11 games)/104.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Dallas
</td><td valign="top" width="197">20,116 (4 games)/104.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,870 (6 games)/96.4
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Denver
</td><td valign="top" width="197">16,863 (5 games)/88.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">16,485 (8 games)/91.6
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Detroit
</td><td valign="top" width="197">22,076 (4 games)/100.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,753 (7 games)/98.4
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Los Angeles
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,997 (5 gms, Lakers)/96.9
</td><td valign="top" width="197">14,915 (12 games)/80.6
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Miami
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,841 (6 games)/80.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,162 (7 games)/78.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Minnesota
</td><td valign="top" width="197">13,629 (5 games)/70.4
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,568 (7 games)/102.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">New Jersey
</td><td valign="top" width="197">16,026 (6 games)/79.7
</td><td valign="top" width="197">14,459 (10 games)/82.0
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">New York
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,758 (6 games)/94.9
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,120 (14 games)/107.2
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Philadelphia
</td><td valign="top" width="197">12,758 (5 games)/62.4
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,267 (8 games)/98.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Phoenix
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,422 (5 games)/96.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,214 (9 games)/86.9
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Toronto
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,073 (4 games)/96.3
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,287 (9 games)/102.6
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Washington
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,582 (4 games)/85.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,758 (8 games)/95.1
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-vs-NBA-Hockey-winning-in-attendance-fan-e?urn=nhl,123904

wild1
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Winnipeg's the NYC of Manitoba

Well, there are more people in KC metro than in that entire province.

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
You would be very ignorantly wrong. NHL has beaten the NBA in attendance quite a bit in the last decade. In cities with both NBA and NHL, they're consistently neck and neck in terms of attendance and sellouts.

NHL average attendance per game in 2007-08: 17,147
NBA average attendance per game in 2007-08: 17,141

Hockey is winning by 6 fans per game!

2007-08 NHL Attendance (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008)
2007-08 NBA Attendance (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance)

In terms of last year, NHL was super close as well, but just slightly lost.
NBA - 17,757
NHL - 16,961
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sports_leagues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues)

Check out the top 10 in total attendance worldwide! Very interesting! NHL Hockey is #3

Here are the head-to-head figures very early in both seasons thus far (numbers complied from ESPN's NBA (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2009) and NHL (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2009) attendance figures, prior to last night's games):
<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="197">City/State
</td><td valign="top" width="197">NBA/capacity
</td><td valign="top" width="197">NHL/capacity
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Atlanta
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,771 (4 games)/88.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">13,726 (8 games)/74.0
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Boston
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,624 (7 games)100.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,731 (8 games)/84.5
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Chicago
</td><td valign="top" width="197">21,818 (7 games)/100.5
</td><td valign="top" width="197">21,485 (11 games)/104.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Dallas
</td><td valign="top" width="197">20,116 (4 games)/104.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,870 (6 games)/96.4
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Denver
</td><td valign="top" width="197">16,863 (5 games)/88.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">16,485 (8 games)/91.6
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Detroit
</td><td valign="top" width="197">22,076 (4 games)/100.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,753 (7 games)/98.4
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Los Angeles
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,997 (5 gms, Lakers)/96.9
</td><td valign="top" width="197">14,915 (12 games)/80.6
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Miami
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,841 (6 games)/80.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,162 (7 games)/78.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Minnesota
</td><td valign="top" width="197">13,629 (5 games)/70.4
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,568 (7 games)/102.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">New Jersey
</td><td valign="top" width="197">16,026 (6 games)/79.7
</td><td valign="top" width="197">14,459 (10 games)/82.0
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">New York
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,758 (6 games)/94.9
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,120 (14 games)/107.2
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Philadelphia
</td><td valign="top" width="197">12,758 (5 games)/62.4
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,267 (8 games)/98.8
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Phoenix
</td><td valign="top" width="197">18,422 (5 games)/96.8
</td><td valign="top" width="197">15,214 (9 games)/86.9
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Toronto
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,073 (4 games)/96.3
</td><td valign="top" width="197">19,287 (9 games)/102.6
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="197">Washington
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,582 (4 games)/85.0
</td><td valign="top" width="197">17,758 (8 games)/95.1
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-vs-NBA-Hockey-winning-in-attendance-fan-e?urn=nhl,123904

Toronto's numbers are slightly skewed, as MLSE makes all the Leafs season ticket holder buy at least a partial stake of Raptors tickets

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Which is understandable... Conspiracy theory for ya: The strike was actually designed to prevent the occurence of an All-Canadian World Series; the Blue Jays had won back to back titles, and the Expos were tearing it up before the strike, and clearly Selig could have none of that...

I believe that 100%
And I'm aware of the conspiracy against the Leafs when they played Gretz and the Kings. ABC had the rights to the games and didn't want to have a Leafs vs. Habs Stanley Cup.
Gretz cuts up Gilmore's face w/ no penalty and goes along and scores the series winner.:rolleyes:

Gadzooks
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM

That's my point.

Fish
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Toronto's numbers are slightly skewed, as MLSE makes all the Leafs season ticket holder buy at least a partial stake of Raptors tickets

The point remains. He claimed the NHL was equivalent to WNBA. That's clearly not the case. In fact, it's obvious that the NHL outdoes the NBA quite frequently.

Hockey ignorance is sad....

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I believe that 100%
And I'm aware of the conspiracy against the Leafs when they played Gretz and the Kings. ABC had the rights to the games and didn't want to have a Leafs vs. Habs Stanley Cup.
Gretz cuts up Gilmore's face w/ no penalty and goes along and scores the series winner.:rolleyes:

Sigh... doesn't TV just fucking suck the soul out of everything? ARGH!!!

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
The point remains. He claimed the NHL was equivalent to WNBA. That's clearly not the case. In fact, it's obvious that the NHL outdoes the NBA quite frequently.

Hockey ignorance is sad....

Oh I wasn't arguing that; I'm constantly amazed watching highlights at just how few people bother showing up to NBA games. Which is weird to me, because I think basketball's a godawful TV sport that is only worth watching when you're within 200 feet of the floor.

wild1
09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
If you really think that would continually happen through a whole NHL season you are retarded. It's a novelty game. They don't get to see the NHL so they go to check it out to see what it's all about. The NBA preseason game has just as much "fan support"

10,000 tickets sold? Every team in the league averages more than that. 18 teams last year averaged over 90% of their tickets sold per game.

Fish
09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Oh I wasn't arguing that; I'm constantly amazed watching highlights at just how few people bother showing up to NBA games. Which is weird to me, because I think basketball's a godawful TV sport that is only worth watching when you're within 200 feet of the floor.

I don't really mind NBA. It just can't hold a candle to NHL... Especially in person. NHL in person is equivalent to NFL for me. It's that fucking fun.

kstater
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
If you build it, they will come(Use you for leverage to get their own new arena).

wild1
09-24-2009, 10:44 AM

The local NBA team was giving tickets away last year. You could buy a season ticket this year, nosebleed in 43 games, for something like $250 (for a limited time and number of seats) and if they got the first pick in the draft you'd only pay a dollar a game. Normally they are better supported than last year when the team was terrible, but it was a sharp contrast to the NHL franchise which sells every game out and can command near-NFL ticket prices.

carlos3652
09-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Interesting note, on a Attendance per Game Average, MLS games only have 800 fans less a game vs NHL and NBA... Hmmm...

Demonpenz
09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
sprint center is a bust

Jerm
09-24-2009, 11:00 AM
We missed out when the Preds miraculously stayed in Nashville...I thought for sure they were coming here.

Anyways, Bettman does favor relocation at all and is seemingly always shitting on K.C. if it's brought up, I'd be shocked if they moved here.

The_Doctor10
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
sprint center is a bust

Can you or anyone else explain why they spent 276 million dollars on an arena with no foreseeable tennants?

wild1
09-24-2009, 11:07 AM
hot off the presses:

PHOENIX (AP)—Wayne Gretzky has resigned as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes.

Gretzky’s departure had been rumored as the bankruptcy court battle between Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie and the NHL over the sale of the financially troubled team dragged on. Gretzky confirmed he was leaving on his Web site.

“This was a difficult decision that I’ve thought long and hard about,” Gretzky said in a statement Thursday on his Web site. “We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected.

“Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don’t fit into their future plans, I approached general manager Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it’s time for me to step aside.”

Gretzky, who is due to make $8.5 million this season, coached the Coyotes from 2005-2009, finishing with a 143-161-24 record, and the team missed the playoffs in all four seasons.

Gretzky, 48, also owns a small piece of the franchise.

The Coyotes had no immediate word on a replacement. Associate coach Ulf Samuelsson had been serving as interim head coach during the preseason, and the team this week hired former NHL head coach Dave King as an assistant.

Fish
09-24-2009, 11:10 AM
hot off the re-presses:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6105141&postcount=38

vailpass
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM

The demographics are very different.

JohninGpt
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Can you or anyone else explain why they spent 276 million dollars on an arena with no foreseeable tennants?

I don't know, we have the giant roll of duct tape known as the BOK Center in Tulsa with even less chance of getting anything other than AA hockey, and a possible WNBA franchise.

wild1
09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
The demographics are very different.

I don't think you can do any math that equals 15k tickets sold every night. It would be like putting a major sports franchise in Omaha. Maybe it could work, but... the odds seem long.

Demonpenz
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I think nhl would draw really well with troost and prospect being right there.

CanadianChief
09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm just in shock that some of you Americans even know where Winnipeg is

:)

ChiefsCountry
09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I love how tv ratings determine a league's success. NHL does darn well at the box office. I really dont care which sport they get at the Sprint Center, both are awesome in person. Granted NBA is nice bc of the stars coming through but hockey is the best sport to watch in person by far. And yes I have seen both in person, NBA games in person are alot more fun than on tv as well.

Also KC not a hockey market? The freaking Triple A Blades at the dump named Kemper averaged around 9k per game.

Thig Lyfe
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Clamoring for an anchor tenant? Wasn't there a story in the Star just the other day about how Sprint Center is pretty much better off without one?

Bearcat
09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
As far as the whole tv or in person thing, it seems like every discussion about the NBA includes people saying "but you HAVE to see it in person, it's SO much better!"

I saw one of the Hawks/Heat playoff games in Atlanta, and it was a cool atmosphere despite Atlanta not being known for giving a crap about their teams, but that's the only thing that made it better (which I already knew).... it's the same crappy game with players flopping all over the place and 50 timeouts and 50 fouls in the last few minutes of the game, but you're at the show (the Atlanta hawk got loose and was flying around the arena, and they stopped the game because it landed on the scoreboard... it was the most entertaining thing in the arena for the first 5 minutes). It was amazing to watch Dwyane Wade take over the game, but it's not like you would miss that by watching TV.

Hockey and football are the two sports where the game experience changes based on whether you're watching it in person or on TV. You miss so much watching it on tv... you mostly see every basketball player on your screen, but there's a whole other game behind the puck and you miss such important things in football like route running, the whole picture of punt coverage, etc. I don't think either are bad on television, and I disagree with people who say hockey isn't watchable on tv, but being there completely changes how you see the game.

Bearcat
09-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Clamoring for an anchor tenant? Wasn't there a story in the Star just the other day about how Sprint Center is pretty much better off without one?

Interesting...

Kansas Cityís beautiful new Sprint Center is doing so well the city will pick up an unexpected $1.8 million in shared profits this year. OK, so part of the reason the city will reap this pleasant harvest is that the building isnít home to a professional basketball or hockey team. A professional team would likely demand much of the revenue from luxury suites, concessions and sponsorships, and make it more difficult to schedule the concerts that are now making the arena a success. So maybe bringing in another pro sports franchise isnít a top priority. (For now, we yearn for a winning season from the teams we have.)

I don't think it would be much more difficult to schedule other stuff though... of course it wouldn't be the top priority any more, but I don't think they would end up turning down a bunch of stuff because of an NHL or NBA schedule.

Dartgod
09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm just in shock that some of you Americans even know where Winnipeg is

:)
I had to spend a week there for work once. Outside of The Forks, there is nothing to see or do in that God-forsaken city.

Even worse was the fact that I didn't have a passport at the time, so I had to fly in to Grand Forks, ND and drive the 2 and 1/2 hours to Winnipeg. Worse than driving through western Kansas.

ChiefsCountry
09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
It does make a difference in concert scheduling. Sprint Center right now can tell any promoter we got prime weekend spots available right now. Then it builds from there how tours are routed and such. They can work around it for sure, they do all the time but it gives KC an advantage for sure.