PDA

View Full Version : Obama Barack Obama's churlishness is unforgivable

Donger
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/davidhughes/100011208/barack-obamas-churlishness-is-unforgivable/

The juxtaposition on our front page this morning is striking. We carry a photograph of Acting Sgt Michael Lockett - who was killed in Helmand on Monday - receiving the Military Cross from the Queen in June, 2008. He was the 217th British soldier to die in the Afghan conflict. Alongside the picture, we read that the Prime Minister was forced to dash through the kitchens of the UN in New York to secure a few minutes “face time” with President Obama after five requests for a sit-down meeting were rejected by the White House.

What are we to make of this? This country has proved, through the bravery of men like Acting Sgt Lockett, America’s staunchest ally in Afghanistan. In return, the American President treats the British Prime Minister with casual contempt. The President’s graceless behaviour is unforgivable. As most members of the Cabinet would confirm, it’s not a barrel of laughs having to sit down for a chat with Gordon Brown. But that’s not the point. Mr Obama owes this country a great deal for its unflinching commitment to the American-led war in Afghanistan but seems incapable of acknowledging the fact. You might have thought that after the shambles of Mr Brown’s first visit to the Obama White House - when there was no joint press conference and the President’s “gift” to the Prime Minister was a boxed DVD set - lessons would have been learned. Apparently not. Admittedly, part of the problem was Downing Street’s over-anxiety to secure a face-to-face meeting for domestic political purposes but the White House should still have been more obliging. Mr Obama’s churlishness is fresh evidence that the US/UK special relationship is a one-way street.

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
British people talk like fags and their shits all retarded

Taco John
09-24-2009, 09:58 AM
We're taking our cues from Gordon Brown's media lap dogs?

The guy is a clown. If I was Obama, I'd give him season one of the American "The Office" and tell Hillary to deal with his toothy ass.

God bless that dead soldier, but if Britain is over there for any reasons outside of their own self interest, their political leaders deserve what they get. What exactly is it that the Brits think we owe them? Every time Gordon Brown wants a political photo op, we come rushing with our president?

There are legitimate reasons to criticize Barack Obama. This isn't one of them.

vailpass
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
British people talk like pillowbiters and their shits all retarded

Thanks for supplying the dumbest thing I'll hear all day, I can now look forward to not having to listen to anything nearly as stupid as your post.

Donger
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
We're taking our cues from Gordon Brown's media lap dogs?

The guy is a clown. If I was Obama, I'd give him season one of the American "The Office" and tell Hillary to deal with his toothy ass.

God bless that dead soldier, but if Britain is over there for any reasons outside of their own self interest, they deserve what they get. What exactly is it that the Brits think we owe them? Every time Gordon Brown wants a political photo op, we come rushing with our president?

I guess that "special relationship" is no longer, eh?

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for supplying the dumbest thing I'll hear all day, I can now look forward to not having to listen to anything nearly as stupid as your post.

dont worry about it scro, lots of retards live kick ass lives. my ex-wifes a retard...shes a pilot now

Taco John
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Pfffft!

I don't think that even the smarminess of Gordon Brown has the capability of destroying the rich tradition between America and her mother country. The "special relationship" will last for centuries more, the idiocy of Gordon Brown notwithstanding.

vailpass
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
dont worry about it scro, lots of retards live kick ass lives. my ex-wifes a retard...shes a pilot now

:D sounds right to me. what's a "scro"?

Donger
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Pfffft!

I don't think that even the smarminess of Gordon Brown has the capability of destroying the rich tradition between America and her mother country. The "special relationship" will last for centuries more, the idiocy of Gordon Brown notwithstanding.

I was responding to this: "What exactly is it that the Brits think we owe them?"

Courtesy and acknowledgment would be a good start, but Obama seems more interested in placating our enemies and apologizing for our bad behavior.

Donger
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM

I believe that is the nut-chasing rodent from Ice Age.

Taco John
09-24-2009, 10:10 AM

Waitaminute.

Is the narrative that I'm supposed to believe here that Barack Obama is destroying the relationship between America and Britain because he didn't jump when Gordon Brown needed a photo op? That he's throwing our "special relationship" down the tubes?

Come on...

Taco John
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Courtesy and acknowledgment would be a good start, but Obama seems more interested in placating our enemies and apologizing for our bad behavior.

Acknowledgment of what? That Gordon Brown has a political need?

America doesn't owe Gordon Brown photo ops with our president whenever he has a domestic political need. We've got much bigger fish to fry.

Donger
09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Waitaminute.

Is the narrative that I'm supposed to believe here that Barack Obama is destroying the relationship between America and Britain because he didn't jump when Gordon Brown needed a photo op? That he's throwing our "special relationship" down the tubes?

Come on...

I don't think it matters who the present PM is. Brown is the head of the British government. One can respect the office without respecting the man.

Donger
09-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Acknowledgment of what? That Gordon Brown has a political need?

America doesn't owe Gordon Brown photo ops with our president whenever he has a domestic political need. We've got much bigger fish to fry.

Acknowledgment that the UK is our most stead-fast ally.

Taco John
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think it matters who the present PM is. Brown is the head of the British government. One can respect the office without respecting the man.

This is what our Seceratary of State is for. The United States does not owe it to Gordon Brown to make our president available for every photo op that his political team decides would be a benefit.

Taco John
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Listen, you started the thread, and I know that you feel like you need to defend the premise, even if the reporter who wrote it admitted in the closing sentance that it is a little thin.

There are better things to discuss than Gordon Brown being jilted over a missed photo op.

Donger
09-24-2009, 11:02 AM
This is what our Seceratary of State is for. The United States does not owe it to Gordon Brown to make our president available for every photo op that his political team decides would be a benefit.

I disagree. Brown is Obama's equivalent, not Foreign Minister. Again, simple courtesy.

RaiderH8r
09-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Listen, you started the thread, and I know that you feel like you need to defend the premise, even if the reporter who wrote it admitted in the closing sentance that it is a little thin.

There are better things to discuss than Gordon Brown being jilted over a missed photo op.

I understand what you're saying and I don't entirely disagree. But I also understand where the Brits are coming from. They just don't understand BarryO's foreign policy. If you want America to die then he'll be right there to kiss your ass and apologize for all the wrongs ever committed by anybody anywhere. Long time allies get the back bench treatment.

wild1
09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Pretty sad that our biggest ally's head of state isn't celebrity enough to meet with him.

orange
09-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Have one of these:

http://fashionablepeople.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/tums-assd-fruit.jpg

orange
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
What could be at the root of the current chilly relationship, I wonder? Maybe this:

"The release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, appears to have been behind the new chill in relations between Washington and London."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/6224813/Barack-Obama-rebuffs-Gordon-Brown-as-special-relationship-sinks-to-new-low.html

Waiting for you right-wingers to defend the Brits on this.

blaise
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
What could be at the root of the current chilly relationship, I wonder? Maybe this:

"The release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, appears to have been behind the new chill in relations between Washington and London."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/6224813/Barack-Obama-rebuffs-Gordon-Brown-as-special-relationship-sinks-to-new-low.html

Waiting for you right-wingers to defend the Brits on this.

Why do right wingers need to defend the Brits on that? Were we all petitioning for it or something?

orange
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Why do right wingers need to defend the Brits on that? Were we all petitioning for it or something?

Because you're criticizing Obama for his "churlishness" toward poor Gordon Brown, perhaps?

You know - the topic of the thread.

I assume from the OP and the comments that you on the right believe Obama is entirely unjustified, so I guess you're okay with Brown freeing the mass-murderer.

blaise
09-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Because you're criticizing Obama for his "churlishness" toward poor Gordon Brown, perhaps?

For starters, I wasn't, but anyway- realizing that England is our greatest ally doesn't mean you agree with everything they do. You realize that, right? There's no obligation to defend all things Britain just because you're of the opinion that our relationship is very valuable.
Your logic is stupid or disingenuous.

orange
09-24-2009, 03:03 PM
For starters, I wasn't, but anyway- realizing that England is our greatest ally doesn't mean you agree with everything they do. You realize that, right? There's no obligation to defend all things Britain just because you're of the opinion that our relationship is very valuable.
Your logic is stupid or disingenuous.

And there's no reason for Obama to gladhand all politicians Britain for the camera "just because you're of the opinion that our relationship is very valuable."

Radar Chief
09-24-2009, 03:05 PM
And there's no reason for Obama to gladhand all politicians Britain for the camera "just because you're of the opinion that our relationship is very valuable."

Their PM = "all politicians Britain"? :spock:

Taco John
09-24-2009, 03:05 PM
The logic seems genuine and sound if you ask me.

Gordon Brown just wanted a photo op. He didn't get it, so his PR team took the opportunity to bash Obama using dead British soldiers as the pretense for the bashing. I personally think that it's poor form, and am disappointed that there are people who are falling for it. There are much better things to go after Obama on than Gordon Brown's need to cover his ass.

orange
09-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Yes. Exactly.

Radar Chief
09-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes. Exactly.

You do realize there is only one of them at a time right?

Radar Chief
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
The logic seems genuine and sound if you ask me.

Gordon Brown just wanted a photo op. He didn't get it, so his PR team took the opportunity to bash Obama using dead British soldiers as the pretense for the bashing. I personally think that it's poor form, and am disappointed that there are people who are falling for it. There are much better things to go after Obama on than Gordon Brown's need to cover his ass.

:shrug: Brown is the one that campaigned on chilling relations with the US after the coziness of Blair. I wonder if he likes the chilling now?

orange
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
You do realize there is only one of them at a time right?

I realize it just fine. So what? The guy's a screwup.

Let's put it this way - what esteem did the Brits hold the "special relationship" in when they freed the murderer of 200 Americans?

Radar Chief
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I realize it just fine. So what? The guy's a screwup.

Let's put it this way - what esteem did the Brits hold the "special relationship" in when they freed the murderer of 200 Americans?

So Brown personally set him free? Is that the grudge you’re holding against the guy?
Still don’t know what that is supposed to have to do with your statement that the British PM = just any ole Brit politician.

KC Dan
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM

I assume from the OP and the comments that you on the right believe Obama is entirely unjustified, so I guess you're okay with Brown freeing the mass-murderer.While I agree and don't criticize BO for his actions there, you are not right about your criticism of Brown. It was not his decision to free the clown. That was all on my homeland - Scotland and Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny McAskill. But, I believe that their gov't is now separate from Britain and it was Scotland's decision alone. Could they have been influenced? Sure but it isn't the Brit's (or Brown's)fault on this one.

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/24/scottish-official-defends-decision-to-free-terrorist/

orange
09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Still don’t know what that is supposed to have to do with your statement that the British PM = just any ole Brit politician.

But, I believe that their gov't is now separate from Britain and it was Scotland's decision alone. Could they have been influenced? Sure but it isn't the Brit's (or Brown's)fault on this one.

Does Brown run the show or not???

You two work it out and get back to me.

orange
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
While I agree and don't criticize BO for his actions there, you are not right about your criticism of Brown. It was not his decision to free the clown. That was all on my homeland - Scotland and Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny McAskill. But, I believe that their gov't is now separate from Britain and it was Scotland's decision alone. Could they have been influenced? Sure but it isn't the Brit's (or Brown's)fault on this one.

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/24/scottish-official-defends-decision-to-free-terrorist/

For the record, I agree that you're a lot closer to the mark.

Obama's snubbing of Brown is not just personal, however. It's directed at the UK in general.

As the Telegraph said, "The release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, appears to have been behind the new chill in relations between Washington and London."

Radar Chief
09-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Crap, you guys are right. I've got nothing.

FYP.

Surely you realize Brown, though the British PM, isn't the omnipotent ruler of all things British.

orange
09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
****edupYP.

Surely you realize Brown, though the British PM, isn't the omnipotent ruler of all things British.

You mean he's just one of "all politicians Britain?"

Exactly like I said?

ROFL

Radar Chief
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
You mean he's just one of "all politicians Britain?"

Exactly like I said?

ROFL

Only if you, mistakenly, believe that the PM position carries no additional responsibility from any other Brit politician.

KC Dan
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Does Brown run the show or not???

You two work it out and get back to me.Nope, you are wrong on this. I could link you up until next week but the bottom line is that the freeing of the scumbag was all on the Scots. Say whatever you want, you're wrong!

"The decision to free Mr. Megrahi was not political point scoring, diplomacy or a concession to terrorism. It was a decision based on legal precedents in Scots law and compassion to free a terminally ill prisoner, and it was made independently of the legal appeals process and the reasonable doubt over Mr. Megrahi's conviction that has grown over the past 20-plus years since the air disaster that claimed 270 lives at the Scottish town of Lockerbie.
Scottish Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill is standing by his decision to release Mr. Megrahi from jail and to allow the terminally ill Libyan to return home.
The Scottish minister insists that the decision to free the prisoner was his and his alone. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has broken his silence on Mr. Megrahi's release to say he "had no role" in the decision."

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/opinion/x1992057396/Leydon-Mercy-for-convicted-terrorist-doesnt-undermine-justice

orange
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Nope, you are wrong on this.

Gee, Liz Leydon, a former MetroWest Daily News writer and editor, is editor of the Scottish Catholic Observer newspaper has spoken. On August 30, 2009. I guess that settles it, then.

Lockerbie bomber: questions over Gordon Brown letter handed to Colonel Gaddafi

The Government is facing fresh questions over the release of the Lockerbie bomber after it emerged Bill Rammell, the Foreign Office minister, gave Colonel Gaddafi a letter from Gordon Brown during his visit to Tripoli in February.

By Alastair Jamieson and Simon Johnson, Scottish Political Editor
Published: 10:24AM BST 03 Sep 2009

Downing Street confirmed a letter was handed to the Libyan leader but denied it contained any reference to Abdelbaset Mohmed al Megrahi, whose release last month has prompted an international row.

William Hague, the shadow foreign secretary, has written to David Miliband, the Foreign Secretary, to ask for clarification over what was contained in the letter, which was reported by state-owned Libyan television at the time of Mr Rammell’s diplomatic visit in February.

The letter was not among the documents made public on Tuesday in a bid to quell speculation that Megrahi was released in exchange for lucrative trade deals.

It came after the decision to release the Lockerbie bomber was rejected by members of the Scottish Parliament in a symbolic vote which ruled the SNP administration had mishandled the affair.

A Downing Street spokesman "categorically" denied that the February letter handed over in Tripoli contained any reference to Megrahi.

He said: "The letter did not cover the issue of Megrahi's release.

"The letter covered a range of African policy issues which were appropriate and relevant in the light of Colonel Gaddafi's elections as chair of the African Union."

Mr Hague demanded that Mr Miliband make clear what assurances were given to the US over where the bomber would serve his sentence.

Citing a spokesman from the US Justice Department who indicated that "assurances" were given in the 1990s that Megrahi would serve his full sentence in Scotland, and a State Department spokesman who said there was "an understanding" that this would be the case, Mr Hague asked: "What were these assurances or understandings? Have they been raised by Secretary (of State Hillary) Clinton with you and what was your response?"

In a symbolic vote at the Scottish Parliament, MSPs ruled that Kenny MacAskill, the SNP justice minister, mishandled Megrahi's request to return to Libya.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/6130521/Lockerbie-bomber-questions-over-Gordon-Brown-letter-handed-to-Colonel-Gaddafi.html

Or maybe not.

Iowanian
09-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I guess I'm of the line of thinking that the British HAVE been our most loyal allie and I think they're earned a little extra face time if they feel they need it.

orange
09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
President Obama rips Gordon Brown over Lockerbie bomber's release, but 'special relationship' intact
BY Helen Kennedy
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, September 11th 2009, 4:00 AM

President Obama chided British Prime Minister Gordon Brown over the release of the Lockerbie bomber in an official phone call Thursday.

The White House said Obama "expressed his disappointment" with last month's decision by Scottish ministers to free convicted Pan Am 103 bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.

It was part of a larger 40-minute conversation between the two leaders ahead of the upcoming G20 meetings in Pittsburgh.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama again stressed his "opposition to and disappointment at the decision that was made."

Before Megrahi was freed, the Obama administration had lobbied against his release, urging "that this individual should serve the remainder of their term in Scotland," he said.

"He thought this was a mistake," Gibbs said. "He continues to think it was a mistake."

Downing Street didn't mention that part of the conversation when briefing reporters on the call.

"The two leaders concluded that the 'special relationship' was as strong as ever," the British government said in a statement, characterizing the call as "warm and substantive."

Obama and Brown had not spoken since July, prompting British media speculation of a rift.

A spokesman for Brown's office, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the prime minister made it clear the decision to free Megrahi on compassionate grounds because he is dying was made by the Scottish government.

Brown has come under intense fire for ongoing discussions with Libya that linked a transfer for Megrahi to oil deals. A parliamentary inquiry into the matter is gearing up.

Megrahi's Aug. 20 release and the triumphant hero's welcome he received in Tripoli shocked the world and appalled relatives of the 270 people killed in the 1988 bombing over the Scottish town of Lockerbie.

Brown, whose popularity at home is at a low ebb, hopes to get a boost from the G20 meetings.

The meetings in Pittsburgh are scheduled to begin Sept. 24, a day after Libyan leader Col. Moammar Khadafy addresses the United Nations in New York.

Both he and Obama are making their maiden addresses to the UN's General Assembly, but there is little chance of their socializing while there.

Obama plans to host a traditional American reception for other heads of state, but the White House made it clear not all leaders will rate an invite.

Gibbs said he doubted Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would be there, and added, "I think there are others that might miss out on the hors d'oeuvres."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/09/11/2009-09-11_obama_rips_brown_over_lockerbie_bombers_release.html#ixzz0S3xDYqTa

KC Dan
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Then I guess that BO needs to do a little studying and maybe he will become smart enough to understand that Brown has and had ZERO say in the matter and that BO's angst towards him is manufactured bullshit. He is appeasing our advesaries, that much is true.

BO is a clown and goes after anyone that furthers his cause the easiest without dissent. If that were not the case and he had some non-political and correct knowledge of the incident, he would have chided the Scots publically and not Brown.

orange
09-24-2009, 03:53 PM
What a friend Muammar has in Gordon:

Gordon Brown in new storm over freed Lockerbie bomber
• Talks with Gaddafi six weeks ago
• US campaign for Scottish boycott

Gaby Hinsliff, political editor The Observer, Sunday 23 August 2009

Gordon Brown faced fresh questions tonight after it emerged that he discussed with Colonel Gaddafi detailed conditions for the Lockerbie bomber's return nearly six weeks ago, while senior Labour figures warned of an economic backlash from angry Americans "costing our country dear".

Downing Street released the text of a cordial letter sent to the Libyan leader on the day that Abdulbaset al-Megrahi was released, asking that the event be kept low key because a "high-profile" ceremony would distress his victims and their families.

But critically the letter also refers to a meeting between the two leaders six weeks earlier at the G8 summit in Italy, adding that "when we met [there] I stressed that, should the Scottish executive decide that Megrahi can return to Libya, this should be a purely private family occasion" rather than a public celebration.

Previously officials have said that the two men's conversation in Italy at the beginning of July was brief and that, while the Lockerbie case was raised, Brown merely stressed the matter was one for the Scottish government to decide.

However, the new letter, addressed to "Dear Muammar" and signed off by wishing him a happy Ramadan, suggests that the decision was well enough advanced and Brown well enough briefed to set terms for a homecoming – albeit unsuccessfully. A jubilant Libyan crowd, some waving Scottish flags, greeted Megrahi at the airport.

Meanwhile, details emerged of a second letter written by the Foreign Office minister Ivan Lewis to the Scottish justice minister, Kenny MacAskill, confirming that there were no legal reasons not to let Megrahi go and concluding: "I hope on this basis you will now feel able to consider the Libyan application."

Although the Foreign Office said it was not intended to make representations either way, the leaking of the letter suggests the SNP-led administration may be starting to fight back.

Tonight the shadow foreign secretary, William Hague, redoubled calls for the government to release official records of conversations about the release, as Gaddafi increased the embarrassment by publicly thanking "my friend Brown, his government, the Queen of Britain, Elizabeth, and Prince Andrew who all contributed to encouraging the Scottish government to take this historic and courageous decision".

The scale of fury in America was laid bare in a vitriolic letter from the director of the FBI, Robert Mueller – who as a justice department lawyer led the investigation into the bombing – describing the release in a scathing letter to MacAskill as a "mockery of the rule of law" and of the victims' grief.

However, the Scottish government last night responded defiantly, insisting the US had made clear in discussions that, while it opposed Megrahi's release, it regarded freeing him on compassionate grounds because of his terminal cancer as "far preferable" to a prisoner transfer deal that would have seen him in custody.

Fears that the US could retaliate against the British government were eased when Whitehall sources disclosed that the White House had made no complaint to Downing Street, reserving its ire for the Scottish administration.

However, public anger at scenes of the convicted bomber receiving a hero's welcome has prompted demands from ordinary Americans for economic reprisals, with two websites set up to promote a boycott and angry Americans discussing on Twitter which products they should avoid, from Scotch whisky to Highland holidays.

Senior Scottish Labour figures say that MacAskill's references in his original statement last week to the compassion of Scotland's people had turned the entire country, which earns £260m a year through American tourists, into an economic target.

Iain Gray, Labour leader in Scotland, said: "Those calling for a boycott of Scotland are emboldened by [MacAskill's] foolish claim that the decision was taken in the name of the people of Scotland. In seeking to portray this as a decision supported by the whole of the country, he has damaged Scotland's reputation. It shows serious lack of judgment which has cost our country dear."

Jack McConnell, the former Labour first minister, said the decision damaged Scotland in a way "that will take years to recover" and called on MSPs to show it did not have popular support.

A spokesman for the Scotch Whisky Association said it was "monitoring" the situation, but hoped that initial anger would pass, as it has done in past protests. "We hope that people recognise that this is not necessarily the solution."

The business secretary, Lord Mandelson, left hospital today – where he was recovering from a prostate operation – insisting it was "completely wrong" and "offensive" to suggest that Megrahi's release was linked to trade deals over oil and gas.

Mandelson met Gaddafi's son during a holiday in Corfu this month, several weeks after the prime minister's meeting in Italy, and has admitted the Lockerbie issue was raised. Today he said the Libyans had had "the same response from me as they would have had from any other member of the government".

MacAskill will give a statement on Monday to the Scottish parliament, which has been recalled from recess. He is likely to face tough questioning on why the convicted bomber was not transferred to a Libyan jail.

McConnell said it was a "big if" to suggest that the convicted bomber deserved compassionate treatment but even then, allowing Megrahi "to be welcomed home in Libya as a free man should have been the last option on the list. There were other options that could have been applied if the Scottish government had the will."

However, Monday's session could also examine the political manoeuvrings around the deal, with MacAskill said to believe that he was set up by the British government's refusal to respond to his consultation.

Yesterday John Bolton, former US ambassador to the UN, also called for a congressional hearing into how the US government lobbied Britain over the issue, which could shed new light on the British response.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/23/gordon-brown-letter-gaddafi-lockerbie

mlyonsd
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I guess I'm of the line of thinking that the British HAVE been our most loyal allie and I think they're earned a little extra face time if they feel they need it.

The president is busy these days doing what normal presidents do....practicing for Letterman and what not.

KC Dan
09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
"However, the Scottish government last night responded defiantly, insisting the US had made clear in discussions that, while it opposed Megrahi's release, it regarded freeing him on compassionate grounds because of his terminal cancer as "far preferable" to a prisoner transfer deal that would have seen him in custody.

Fears that the US could retaliate against the British government were eased when Whitehall sources disclosed that the White House had made no complaint to Downing Street, reserving its ire for the Scottish administration."

Until it was politically expedient to do so....

orange
09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
"However, the Scottish government last night responded defiantly, insisting the US had made clear in discussions that, while it opposed Megrahi's release, it regarded freeing him on compassionate grounds because of his terminal cancer as "far preferable" to a prisoner transfer deal that would have seen him in custody.

Fears that the US could retaliate against the British government were eased when Whitehall sources disclosed that the White House had made no complaint to Downing Street, reserving its ire for the Scottish administration."

Until it was politically expedient to do so....

Until new information came out.

Until the Scottish opposition began to fight back.

KC Dan
09-24-2009, 04:04 PM
It really doesn't make a crap. It was the Scots decision and they made it. Whether the Brits backdoored discussions with the psychos were part of it or not, the Scots made the decision not the Brits. BO shouldn't blame Brown as he could not stop (legally) the Scots from freeing the POS. He should have went after Scottish Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill but he didn't. He went after the man who the press would attack freely and help boost BO up. That is all from me on this...

Taco John
09-24-2009, 04:16 PM
:shrug: Brown is the one that campaigned on chilling relations with the US after the coziness of Blair. I wonder if he likes the chilling now?

If he would have met with Gordon Brown, someone at home would have written a newspaper article about what an idiot he is for allowing himself to be used by Gordon Brown after he allowed a murderer of 200 Americans to go free.

I'm not a fan of Obama's policies, but I think this thread is pretty well... stupid.

blaise
09-24-2009, 04:29 PM

So you're saying he took a passive aggressive approach to let the British PM know he is displeased.
Great leader.

orange
09-24-2009, 04:37 PM
So you're saying he took a passive aggressive approach to let the British PM know he is displeased.
Great leader.

A little more to it than that. Back in that first article I linked (I think) they were talking about how Brown was anxious for some face time with Obama to chill some of the heat he's feeling at home. Obama wasn't going to help him out with that.

That's politics.

And yes - Obama can be as petty as anyone. Do I need to dig up the pictures I posted last year of BO turning his back on Hillary Clinton?

patteeu
09-24-2009, 05:02 PM
It's a double slap in the face to the Brits. Not only does Obama disrespect them in a rather public fashion, but he does it in the context of his endless prostrations at the feet of the scoundrels and tyrants of the world.

RedNeckRaider
09-24-2009, 05:34 PM
A little more to it than that. Back in that first article I linked (I think) they were talking about how Brown was anxious for some face time with Obama to chill some of the heat he's feeling at home. Obama wasn't going to help him out with that.

That's politics.

And yes - Obama can be as petty as anyone. Do I need to dig up the pictures I posted last year of BO turning his back on Hillary Clinton?

Please do! That would be funny to see.

orange
09-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Please do! That would be funny to see.

Here you go. Don't say I never gave you anything. ;)

http://blogs.trb.com/news/politics/blog/Obama%20turns%20back%20to%20Clinton%20small