PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Horns of a Dilemma

KCWolfman
09-25-2009, 10:14 PM
The POTUS faces his first real challenge now -

Does he endanger his well being with his liberal base and agree to more troops in Afghanistan

or

Does he give fodder to the conservative base and back down on his original statement and his own hand picked man in Afghanistan.

Personally, I think he does the former, but delays as long as humanly possible to attempt to get some sort of coalesced healthcare bill passed before he pisses his brethen off.

Either way, he is subject to hard recriminations from one group or the other. It will be an interesting 6-8 months to see how he decides to ride this one out.

patteeu
09-25-2009, 10:33 PM
He'll send more troops, but not as many as are needed, and then at some point in the future (after the mid-term elections) he will come to the conclusion that the war is unwinnable and withdraw in defeat.

KCWolfman
09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
He'll send more troops, but not as many as are needed, and then at some point in the future (after the mid-term elections) he will come to the conclusion that the war is unwinnable and withdraw in defeat.

So you think he can milk it until the next elections?

I don't think so at all. And I hope you are wrong.

I think a smart politician on the short side of the bench should start pushing the issue hard, really hard, before the vote on the health care package. Get his voice on record NOW and use it at the mid terms against the dems.

tiptap
09-25-2009, 11:54 PM
He will wait to see just how the Afghan election turns out. And then he will see if he has a real homefield ally to turn to in making an effective run. The duplication of the Iraq surge depends upon something similar to the Sunni rebellion against the outsider al quaeda. You need a similar local determination in Afghanistan. And that assessment is entirely absent in the leaked statement. It is a call but I see to much of Afghanistan comfortable with Al Quaeda and their surrogates the Taliban. I don't see real protection offered to regular Afghanies by this government. I wanted this war, not Iraq. But the timing for success looks to be lost by that Iraq gambit. We have to be more concerned with not pushing that pressure into Pakistan and destabilizing that state. If there is no resolve within, then no pressure from without is going to find long term success.