PDA

View Full Version : Economics Which American vehicle creates the most jobs?

Taco John
09-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Anybody have an inkling of the answer to this question? I don't know if anyone studies vehicles in this way. If I was the Automobile Czar, this would be a top question of mine right now (more like months ago - forgive me, I'm a little slow). I would want to flood the market with a "green" version of a lot of those cars.

KCWolfman
09-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Really?

People's minds work so differently from one another.

My first concern would be which is the most economically advisable for the consumer. Which one lasts longest and has the fewest repairs while being affordable to the consumer.

Not saying yours is wrong or mine is right - I just find it funny that the mind of individuals start in such opposite corners with the same concepts.

Taco John
09-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Really?

People's minds work so differently from one another.

My first concern would be which is the most economically advisable for the consumer. Which one lasts longest and has the fewest repairs while being affordable to the consumer.

Not saying yours is wrong or mine is right - I just find it funny that the mind of individuals start in such opposite corners with the same concepts.

Wid due respect for what you've posted, you're thinking like an entrepreneur, not like a czar. As a czar, my currency is power, not money. If I'm a czar, I figure, whatever we produce will be made economically advisable because I have a lot of pull right now in a lot of the right circles. Whatever it is, we'll get the price down to make it economically advisable.

The way I see it, as an industry czar, the way to keep that political pull is through job creation. If I can demonstrate that kind of power to my back-end constituents, expanding my horizons will be a piece of cake.

I mean, let's face it. I don't want to be the automobile czar forever.

KCWolfman
09-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Wid due respect for what you've posted, you're thinking like an entrepreneur, not like a czar. As a czar, my currency is power, not money. If I'm a czar, I figure, whatever we produce will be made economically advisable because I have a lot of pull right now in a lot of the right circles. Whatever it is, we'll get the price down to where we will be able to make it economically advisable.

The way I see it, as an industry czar, the way to keep that political pull is through job creation. If I can demonstrate that kind of power to my back-end constituents, expanding my horizons will be a piece of cake.

I mean, let's face it. I don't want to be the automobile czar forever.

I am betting not a single american vehicle drops more than 3% in price over the next two years.

Taco John
09-26-2009, 03:26 AM
I am betting not a single american vehicle drops more than 3% in price over the next two years.

The word of the day is money back guarantee, not price incentive. I think a czar has to institutionalize something like that to protect prices. I think your projection is fair, but whether it's two years or five years, eventually, another powerbroking czar is going to get the drop on the automobile czar, and prices will inevitably be a lever that gets yanked.

But even considering that inevitability, I think you're right. No lower than 3% on the next two years.

redsurfer11
09-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Anybody have an inkling of the answer to this question? I don't know if anyone studies vehicles in this way. If I was the Automobile Czar, this would be a top question of mine right now (more like months ago - forgive me, I'm a little slow). I would want to flood the market with a "green" version of a lot of those cars.

Hot Wheels.

headsnap
09-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Hot Wheels.

jobs for Malaysia, Thailand and China...

but they do create tons of 'shovel ready' jobs for American 4-year-olds!

BigRedChief
09-26-2009, 10:25 AM
It was a factor in my choice for a new car. You'd be surprised at what car is "American" made. The Toyota's are real high in American made parts and assembled in the USA. But I went with the Lincoln MXK. You have to pay attention. You think your Chevy/GM car is made in the USA? Check the sticker.

And the parts are what create American jobs, not the assembly point. Like 5 jobs in parts to every 1 assembly job

Brock
09-26-2009, 11:26 AM
GM in particular has no real competitor in the Civic/Corolla appliance car market, which, judging from what I'm seeing on the road, is the business to be in. That would be the thing to be building, but GM has shown little interest in anything beyond badge-engineering a Korean or European crapbox. They could sell a ton of them and create a ton of jobs if they'd attack that market aggressively.

HonestChieffan
09-26-2009, 12:20 PM
As long as GM is owned by the government I won't have anything new from them. Sometime in the next 18 months I expect to buy a new car for my wife and it will likely be the first foreign car I have ever owned.

DanT
09-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know which American vehicle creates the most jobs, but I do know that I love my made-in-Kansas City (KS) 2009 Chevy Malibu. What a great car!

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Malibu/