PDA

View Full Version : Elections Wow, White House Urges Black Blind Governor Not to Run.

KCWolfman
09-27-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/27/newyork.paterson/index.html

(CNN) -- Embattled New York Gov. David Paterson vowed Sunday he won't give in to White House pressure to drop out of next year's election, insisting, "I am not failing to stand up for my party."

New York Gov. David Paterson, right, with President Obama last week in Albany, New York.

The nation's first legally blind governor is facing approval ratings dipping below 20 percent.

"I'm blind but I'm not oblivious," he said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I realize that there are people who don't want me to run."

Last Sunday, The New York Times reported that the White House was urging Paterson to withdraw. The White House neither confirmed nor denied that to CNN.

But informed sources told CNN that White House political director Patrick Gaspard met with Paterson to let him know about the administration's concerns he could not win the governor's race next year. That loss could affect races down-ticket, including the Senate seat now held by Kirsten Gillibrand.

"I have spent a whole life being told I couldn't do things. I was told by guidance counselors I shouldn't go to college," Paterson said on Sunday. "I was told when I was minority leader of the Senate that we couldn't win the majority. We won eight seats in four years and won the majority."
Don't Miss
Commentary: Obama's NY week gets shaky start
Borger: Congress needs 'Boss Obama'

The governor also noted that a court this week upheld his appointment of a lieutenant governor, disproving those who said it would not be upheld. The message to him, Paterson said, "was that you don't give up."

In the NBC interview, Paterson left his descriptions vague about discussions with the White House, saying he would not detail "confidential conversations."

He said "the president has never told me not to run for governor" and that he's "never gotten an explicit indication authorized from the White House that I shouldn't run."

"They certainly sent a message that they have concerns. And I appreciate that," he said.

He acknowledged that it has been "a difficult week."

Asked about his wife's remarks to the New York Post that he had been "stunned" by the message from the White House, Paterson responded, "Michelle is very protective of me. I don't know that I was stunned."

"I am not failing to stand up for my party -- I fight for the priorities of my party," he said, adding that he is "fighting for the people of the state of New York. ... So I'm not going to run away from a fight when I know who I'm fighting for."

Throughout the interview, Paterson cited the economic crisis and his need to cut $30 billion in spending. He said the cuts have brought on "a hail of criticism" from special interests, "and that is what accounts for the low poll numbers."

One of only two African-American governors, Paterson said he does not believe race has been a factor in the poll numbers.
Paterson was lieutenant governor when a scandal led to then-Gov. Eliot Spitzer's departure from the office in March 2008.

|Zach|
09-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Black + blind has to do with it how?

They think he is a weak candidate and feel its an important spot. I personally like the guy alot...

Your subject was very "DC forum"

Pitt Gorilla
09-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Black + Blind has to do with it how?I was wondering that as well; it wasn't the original title of the article.

KCWolfman
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I was wondering that as well; it wasn't the original title of the article.

Actually, blind was noted in the title of the CNN article.

However, you prove my point flawlessly, thank you.

Race was not an issue at all, nor his handicap. Yet the words "You lie" from a white man incites all of kinds of racist questions and retrospection of an entire political party. I am betting if this were a Republican Governor and Eric Cantor spoke with him, it would certainly be a hot button item on the Sunday Pundits' shows.

BigRedChief
09-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Black and Blind doesn't matter if you have an 18% approval rating.

***SPRAYER
09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
They think he is a weak candidate and feel its an important spot. I personally like the guy alot...

That confirms it---

You are an imbecile.

petegz28
09-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Because if he was white and didn't do what Obama wanted then surely he would be a racist.

patteeu
09-28-2009, 07:44 AM

The WH is clearly being motivated by racism and bigotry toward the handicapped. Isn't that how this is supposed to work?

***SPRAYER
09-28-2009, 08:01 AM
The WH is clearly being motivated by racism and bigotry toward the handicapped. Isn't that how this is supposed to work?

B.O. needs to go back on Letterman and talk about the Special Olympics.

wild1
09-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Is this because he was saying he didn't want the administration's help, that their failures in Washington are making it harder for him to get things done in the state?

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 08:50 AM
OBAMA IS RACIST AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE.

blaise
09-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Jimmy Carter agrees. Much of this is based on race.

blaise
09-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Too bad almost no one in NY state does.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Jimmy Carter agrees. Much of this is based on race.

AND THE INABILITY TO SEE

DON'T FORGET THE INABILITY TO SEE

blaise
09-28-2009, 08:56 AM
AND THE INABILITY TO SEE

DON'T FORGET THE INABILITY TO SEE

Okay, this happens sometimes- he's blind, not deaf. There's no need to shout.

patteeu
09-28-2009, 08:57 AM

LMAO

Garcia Bronco
09-28-2009, 08:59 AM

It's just an example of how sorry these political parties are. It's about power, not about ideas.

blaise
09-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Paterson wanted to add an 18% tax to soft drinks and add a tax for getting a haircut.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM

AND BLACK PEOPLE

blaise
09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
AND BLACK PEOPLE

I think most of them hear just fne, actually.

ROYC75
09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, he is black, he is blind, he does have poor ratings and Obo won't back him, even thou he;s a democrat. Do much for standing inline with your party. I don't hear Tammy Wynette singing " Stand By Your Man " .

KCWolfman
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

Thank you, patteeu. I was worried we ALL went mind numb for a moment.

KCWolfman
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Why not, Jimmy Carter is a self hating apologist.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Why not, Jimmy Carter is a self hating apologist.

IT'S THE SAME THING

KCWolfman
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
IT'S THE SAME THING

Yup, thanks for confirming.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Yup, thanks for confirming.

So we agree that Obama's a self-hating black man, and this rage comes to the fore by asking other black politicians to resign?

blaise
09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
So we agree that Obama's a self-hating black man, and this rage comes to the fore by asking other black politicians to resign?

THOSE RACIST WHITE REPUBLICANS.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
THOSE RACIST WHITE REPUBLICANS.

Is my framing of the issue accurate or not?

KCWolfman
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM

I am not picking on you at all, please don't construe that with this statement, but I am betting English is not your primary language. I was being ironic with several statements. I will be clear for you here:

If this were a Republican Governor and the Minority Whip met with him to tell him not to run, the press would have a field day with the issue. His Handicap and his Color would be primary topics instead of the fact that he would lose them a valuable position.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I am not picking on you at all, please don't construe that with this statement, but I am betting English is not your primary language.

el oh el

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
If this were a Republican Governor and the Minority Whip met with him to tell him not to run, the press would have a field day with the issue. His Handicap and his Color would be primary topics instead of the fact that he would lose them a valuable position.

But that's not what happened here.

Why are you trying to exact revenge about hypothetical situations that don't exist?

blaise
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Is my framing of the issue accurate or not?

No. The point is that it seems to be convenient for much of the left (I'll use Carter's generalization "much", and assume you're good with that) to frame opposition to a minority as based on race. It don't see how it's much more absurd to accuse Obama himself of doing the same thing, regardless of his race.

Direckshun
09-28-2009, 01:36 PM
No. The point is that it seems to be convenient for much of the left (I'll use Carter's generalization "much", and assume you're good with that) to frame opposition to a minority as based on race. It don't see how it's much more absurd to accuse Obama himself of doing the same thing, regardless of his race.

So your argument is that because this is such a ridiculous accusation, we shouldn't worry about any future Republican presidents asking black governors to step down?

Again, I'm just having a lot of trouble grappling with this. Somebody explain this to me like I'm 4.

KCWolfman
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
But that's not what happened here.

Why are you trying to exact revenge about hypothetical situations that don't exist?

PRECISELY...

I give up. Others have understood and posted (see patteeu's response). Either you are being obtuse or you cannot comprehend.

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I am not picking on you at all, please don't construe that with this statement, but I am betting English is not your primary language. I was being ironic with several statements. I will be clear for you here:

If this were a Republican Governor and the Minority Whip met with him to tell him not to run, the press would have a field day with the issue. His Handicap and his Color would be primary topics instead of the fact that he would lose them a valuable position.He mentioned his blindness, but not his race. I still can't figure out why you included it in the OP.

blaise
09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
So your argument is that because this is such a ridiculous accusation, we shouldn't worry about any future Republican presidents asking black governors to step down?

Again, I'm just having a lot of trouble grappling with this. Somebody explain this to me like I'm 4.

No my argument is that it's seems to be accepted by the left to imply that opposition to a black President is based on race. While that may be true for a small percent of the population, it's mostly ridiculous. I cannot speak to the motives of the person that posted the OP, but I would say some of the posts here are done in parody when they accuse Obama of doing this based on race; this would be done in order to lampoon the continued examples of left wing politicians who keep trying to project racism on Obama's opponents.