PDA

View Full Version : Economics E-Verify is Amazing. All Companies Should Consider Using it.

KCWolfman
09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
E-Verify is a system that checks to see if someone is legally registered to work in our country. I work for one of the largest Casual Dining Restaurant chains in the US, a Fortune 400 company. They require we use E-Verify with every new hire.

I hired a great interview two weeks ago. The employee is from the Chilango neighborhood of Mexico City. He had a work ID. I took that information, copied it, forwarded the ID to Corporate headquarters. I then had the new employee call E-Verify to give his information.

They attempted to verify his assigned work ID and found it to be false. I spoke with the employee this evening and asked if the ID was possibly incorrect and if he could supply an accurate one. I then had him call a bilingual expert at E-Verify. He spoke with the expert for about 10 minutes in total privacy.

He came out and told me he would work until the end of the week, but had to leave. I accepted his resignation. E-Verify sent an email stating he would not be compensated for work after Sunday evening unless he provided accurate identification.

It was handled subtly and without intrusion. It was determined he was illegal and my company (I am VERY proud to say) will not employ illegal aliens, especially when our unemployment is bordering double digits.

Every company should use some service like E-Verify. That would certainly stop the illegal availability of any passed insurance plan to those that don't deserve coverage paid by taxpayers.

Reaper16
09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
E-Verify is a system that checks to see if someone is legally registered to work in our country. I work for one of the largest Casual Dining Restaurant chains in the US, a Fortune 400 company. They require we use E-Verify with every new hire.

No wonder your place's food sucks. All the great restaurants are comprised of a heavily illegal workforce cooking your food.

Taco John
09-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Another fine example of private solutions succeeding without the need for federal intrusion.

Jenson71
09-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Every company should use some service like E-Verify. That would certainly stop the illegal availability of any passed insurance plan to those that don't deserve coverage paid by taxpayers.

Well, it is federal law to use some service like E-Verify, at least one that makes sure an employee can in fact work here.

Another fine example of private solutions succeeding without the need for federal intrusion.

Except for all that federal money that goes into paying for it, and the federal departments that run it . . . yeah.

KCWolfman
09-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Amen.

This was a huge adjustment for me. I worked the same line of business for 25 years (medical billing and management). The same company for half that time. I was a nine to fiver and was comfortable with it.

Laid off for a little over a year, I took an offer to manage a local restaurant in which I was serving to make ends meet. I figured I would go back to my 9th floor office one day and leave the restaurant behind.

Weird, but I am making more money now than then, fewer hours, and the company is freaking amazing when it comes to employees and their well being. They truly embrace free thinking if presented as a well planned action and expected results. I smile when I go to work because I actually like being there - three years now and I am still smiling.

My old boss called me last month. He is with a new company and gave me the old line "we need driven men". I turned him down. He was my mentor and one of the hardest bosses I have ever had in my life - it was not easy to say no. In fact, I apply his methodology daily and find that I am well ahead of the curve and in line for the next serious promotion.

I hope he does well, but I am blessed with a new chapter I am going to pursue vigorously.

KCWolfman
09-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, it is federal law to use some service like E-Verify, at least one that makes sure an employee can in fact work here.

Except for all that federal money that goes into paying for it, and the federal departments that run it . . . yeah.

Not true, only those companies with federal contracts are required by federal law to use a service like E-Verify. State laws vary, but Missouri requires the usage if the company receives more than 5000.00 a year in federal contracts.

Jenson71
09-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Not true, only those companies with federal contracts are required by federal law to use a service like E-Verify. State laws vary, but Missouri requires the usage if the company receives more than 5000.00 a year in federal contracts.

I thought we all had to fill out the INS form.

KCWolfman
09-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I thought we all had to fill out the INS form.

We all have to complete an I-9.

banyon
09-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Don't you guys ever give it a rest?

E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.

E-Verify is free and is the best means available for determining employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security Numbers.

See "Program Highlights" on the left side of this page for "E-Verify Program Statistics."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Jenson71
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
We all have to complete an I-9.

Yeah. E-Verify seems to be a nice, quick program that checks status. But the people who don't want to check status are still not going to check status.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah. E-Verify seems to be a nice, quick program that checks status. But the people who don't want to check status are still not going to check status.

Precisely. I was stating I am proud to work for a company that provides the service and follows through.

Jenson71
10-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Precisely. I was stating I am proud to work for a company that provides the service and follows through.

Well, I think we're in agreement then, because I personally think that if you want to stop illegal immigration, you definitely need to enforce employment regulations. Too many plants get by with these practices. They hire them, and then pay them peanuts with usually horrible conditions. And then when the feds finally come in, it ultimately ends in torn up families.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, I think we're in agreement then, because I personally think that if you want to stop illegal immigration, you definitely need to enforce employment regulations. Too many plants get by with these practices. They hire them, and then pay them peanuts with usually horrible conditions. And then when the feds finally come in, it ultimately ends in torn up families.

Agreed. However, when Arizona put their foot down and enacted legislation to prevent the hiring of illegals they caught a great deal of flack from the left.

Jenson71
10-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Agreed. However, when Arizona put their foot down and enacted legislation to prevent the hiring of illegals they caught a great deal of flack from the left.

Could be for a number of different reasons though, like national enforcement supremacy over state policy.

Otter
10-01-2009, 12:28 AM
It's a big step forward.

I forget the dates to be honest but if it's not already in place anyone working under a government contract will be forced to pass an E-Verify check.

We have no need for illegals, none. Get out.

Taco John
10-01-2009, 12:29 AM

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

I stand corrected.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 12:35 AM
It's a big step forward.

I forget the dates to be honest but if it's not already in place anyone working under a government contract will be forced to pass an E-Verify check.

It is.. Anyone earning over 5000 a year from gvt contracts.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 01:21 AM
It's a big step forward.

FWIW, I have no problem with the people. Illegal aliens are doing all they can to support their families. In fact, I have more respect for them than I do a lot of lazy-assed Americans looking for a handout instead of working for what they have. BTW - Calling them undocumented workers is like calling a burglar an uninvited visitor, stop using the stupid term.

However, the people aren't my problem. My God, my family, my country... in that order.

I am incensed with their Government though. The bastard not only condone the exportation of their people, they assist. They disgust me.

And as much as they disgust me, our own government does even more - From the Bracero Program in the early 40s to today our government has screwed us over. The Conservative Base does so to get cheap labor, the Liberal Base does so to expand their powerbase. And it has increased exponentially since the Clinton era.

And yes, you damned NeoComms, I blame GWB as well. So take that soapbox away from this thread - you don't need to muddle the conversation with more BS.

We have dumbasses believing the stupid speeches that illegals do the jobs we refuse to do - Plain Damned Blind Allegiance and Ignorance. We will do those jobs, we just won't do them at 3.43 an hour. It is reverse supply and demand with labor. We can reduce the supply by getting rid of people who don't belong and we then increase the demand and thus the wages. Use your brains - we need no one in this country to help us, we are helping them. If they want to come over legally, I got their back. But US FIRST. We are near 10% unemployment in this once great nation. I have over 20 applications a week for 0 jobs, many of them college grads wanting to clean the restaurant or do the dishes.

This crap with the Left wanting to delete the amendments proposed today to guard against illegals is just another stone on the back of the American people - and many of us are getting tired of carrying their useless weight.

Grow the F*ck up and give the United States of America back to the people that were born here or have earned their right to be here. We don't need the illegals, we certainly don't need Mexico, and right now I can think of no reason we need EITHER SIDE OF THE AISLE protecting those crossing our borders without our permission. It is the CITIZEN's nation, not the politicians. Listen to us for a change!!!!!

Amnorix
10-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Sounds like a great program.

The biggest problem behind illegal immigration is a hell of a lot like the problem behind the illegal drug trade. American citizens who WANT the product at hand. If illegals couldn't get work here easily, they wouldn't come. If drugs weren't in demand here, it wouldn't get shipped in.

Amnorix
10-01-2009, 06:16 AM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Radar Chief
10-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Ok, hereís where I loose a little cred with you guys.
Iím as against illegal immigration as anyone else but when a hail storm came through and took out my roof the only contractor that shot me a bid close to what the insurance company was paying me came in with a crew of Mexicans.
They hit it like a pack of ants and stripped the old roof off, put down new felt, shingles and cleaned up their mess before leaving all in uh day.
Iíve done roofing. It would take a crew of Americans at least a couple of days to get all that done. Of course we wouldíve used a 5-man crew maybe 6, the contractor showed up with around 20 workers, none of which could speak English.
And itís not like I didnít want to give the work to Americans, but Iím not made of money and it would have taken far more out of pocket than I could afford to give the work to an American crew.

Saggysack
10-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Ok, hereís where I loose a little cred with you guys.
Iím as against illegal immigration as anyone else but when a hail storm came through and took out my roof the only contractor that shot me a bid close to what the insurance company was paying me came in with a crew of Mexicans.
They hit it like a pack of ants and stripped the old roof off, put down new felt, shingles and cleaned up their mess before leaving all in uh day.
Iíve done roofing. It would take a crew of Americans at least a couple of days to get all that done. Of course we wouldíve used a 5-man crew maybe 6, the contractor showed up with around 20 workers, none of which could speak English.
And itís not like I didnít want to give the work to Americans, but Iím not made of money and it would have taken far more out of pocket than I could afford to give the work to an American crew.

Heh. I remember when an average size roof or siding on a average size home would take 5 white guys 3 to 5 days from start to finish.

Around here now, it's the morning for tear off and the afternoon for installation. My neighbor just had his roof done 2 days ago and did the same thing you did. The cost and daily hassle of hearing someone walk on your roof for half a week or more just isn't worth it for the exact same product. I've come to the conclusion that mexicans are quite bit more capitalist than americans. They will work harder and longer at a better price for the consumer.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a great program.

The biggest problem behind illegal immigration is a hell of a lot like the problem behind the illegal drug trade. American citizens who WANT the product at hand. If illegals couldn't get work here easily, they wouldn't come. If drugs weren't in demand here, it wouldn't get shipped in.

As noted in the two posts above yours.

Brock
10-01-2009, 08:36 AM
It would take a crew of Americans at least a couple of days to get all that done. Of course we wouldíve used a 5-man crew maybe 6, the contractor showed up with around 20 workers, none of which could speak English.

So throwing 20 illegals who worked for nickels on the dollar at your roofing job is okay? Fuck that.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
So throwing 20 illegals who worked for nickels on the dollar at your roofing job is okay? **** that.

Amen Brock. Just because it is convenient or saves you a few dollars does not mean you participate.

Radar Chief
10-01-2009, 08:44 AM
So throwing 20 illegals who worked for nickels on the dollar at your roofing job is okay? **** that.

I never claimed it was ďokayĒ. I even prefaced by stating I was going to loose some credibility with some of you, but Iíve explained why I did what I did and you can now think of me what you will.

Radar Chief
10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Heh. I remember when an average size roof or siding on a average size home would take 5 white guys 3 to 5 days from start to finish.

Around here now, it's the morning for tear off and the afternoon for installation. My neighbor just had his roof done 2 days ago and did the same thing you did. The cost and daily hassle of hearing someone walk on your roof for half a week or more just isn't worth it for the exact same product. I've come to the conclusion that mexicans are quite bit more capitalist than americans. They will work harder and longer at a better price for the consumer.

I donít think it has anything to do with whoís willing to work harder. No individual on that crew worked any harder than a single American.
It has to do with them willing to work for pennies an hour, sleep 10 or more to the same hotel room, knowing that they can work here 6 months out of the year, make maybe $10K then live like kings in Mexico for the rest of the year.
The contractor does it because he knows he can throw 20 workers at a job for less than the price of 5 Americans and get the job done in a day meaning he doesnít have to make as much to cover costs and he can line up more jobs in the same time span.
Itís not like I ďlikeĒ the situation but lets all recognize it for what it is.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I don’t think it has anything to do with who’s willing to work harder. No individual on that crew worked any harder than a single American.
It has to do with them willing to work for pennies an hour, sleep 10 or more to the same hotel room, knowing that they can work here 6 months out of the year, make maybe $10K then live like kings in Mexico for the rest of the year.
The contractor does it because he knows he can throw 20 workers at it for less than the price of 5 Americans and get the job done in a day meaning he doesn’t have to make as much to cover costs.
It’s not like I “like” the situation but lets all recognize it for what it is.
Sorry, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

Principal ALWAYS matters, not just when it's convenient.

Brock
10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I never claimed it was ďokayĒ. I even prefaced by stating I was going to loose some credibility with some of you, but Iíve explained why I did what I did and you can now think of me what you will.

Your contractor should be thrown in prison.

RJ
10-01-2009, 08:55 AM

The guys who install the carpet and tile I sell are like that. All one family (all legal, btw) and if I have a big job they'll hit it with a half dozen guys. The customer ends up with beautiful work done in about 1/3 the time they expected.

Yeah, these dudes are capitalists, for sure. Any time there's money to be made, they're on it. And I am damn glad to have them installing my orders.

thecoffeeguy
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Should be mandatory that all business use it or face HUGE fines.

This is a prime example of how effective it can be.

vailpass
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Here in Phoenix the illegals like the word "e-verify" as much as the like the words "la migra".
Great program, should be mandatory for all job applicants right alongside the I-9 form.

Radar Chief
10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Sorry, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

Principal ALWAYS matters, not just when it's convenient.

ďConvenienceĒ wasnít the issue. Cost was.
And my family HAS to have a roof over itís head.

Your contractor should be thrown in prison.

Of course Iím assuming they were illegalís. But all indications wereÖ

RJ
10-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Here in Phoenix the illegals like the word "e-verify" as much as the like the words "la migra".
Great program, should be mandatory for all job applicants right alongside the I-9 form.

I have a son and a step brother who work construction in Phoenix. Funny thing, they're staying a lot busier over the past year or so - doing work Americans don't want to do, of course.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I have a son and a step brother who work construction in Phoenix. Funny thing, they're staying a lot busier over the past year or so - doing work Americans don't want to do, of course.

RJ - Great post. It is perfectly simple and true, too.

BucEyedPea
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Fascism rocks!

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

Not at all, but if found to be employing illegals with no check system like E-Verify in place, they should be heavily fined.

vailpass
10-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Oh yeah the new law cracking down on those who hire illegals has cleaned up a lot of the border jumpers in Phoenix. Of course we still have too many but it is getting better.

:thumb: Good on your people, happy to hear they have work in this economy. New builds are way down here.
My wife's family are commercial construction here. They laugh (like you) when they hear that construction is work Americans don't want to do

Then they say "drywalling however is another thing altogether".
I think they are joking.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Then they say "drywalling however is another thing altogether".
I think they are joking.

I SUCK at drywalling.

My Brother in Law is the foreman who headed up the physical repairs and renovations at Arrowhead and Kauffman over the last few years. I used to watch him drywall and not think anything about it as it went so quickly and smoothly. Then trying it myself, I appreciated the work he did so much more. When I watch him now, it is like watching an artist with a musical instrument - I definitely appreciate it a lot more.

vailpass
10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I SUCK at drywalling.

My Brother in Law is the foreman who headed up the physical repairs and renovations at Arrowhead and Kauffman over the last few years. I used to watch him drywall and not think anything about it as it went so quickly and smoothly. Then trying it myself, I appreciated the work he did so much more. When I watch him now, it is like watching an artist with a musical instrument - I definitely appreciate it a lot more.

Sounds like your BIL is good at what he does. I always envied those who were good at building/fixing things.
If you were to hang drywall all day every day for a couple of weeks you would be good at it. Inside of a month you too would be looking like a pro.

Garcia Bronco
10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Could be for a number of different reasons though, like national enforcement supremacy over state policy.

Not in all cases unless the power is directly given in the US Constitution.

banyon
10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Fascism rocks!

:rolleyes:

What's your proposal for enforcing illegal hiring laws?

Saggysack
10-01-2009, 10:05 AM
I donít think it has anything to do with whoís willing to work harder. No individual on that crew worked any harder than a single American.
The contractor does it because he knows he can throw 20 workers at a job for less than the price of 5 Americans and get the job done in a day meaning he doesnít have to make as much to cover costs and he can line up more jobs in the same time span.
Itís not like I ďlikeĒ the situation but lets all recognize it for what it is.

Willing to work for less is hard work to me. Of course they didn't work any harder physically. That's just working smart, IMO.

Sounds like capitalism at it's finest. Providing the same product for a cheaper price with a quicker turn around. Who gives a hell where it comes from. You have to watch out for your own interests. In this case, time and money.

Reaper16
10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Fighting illegal immigration is/will be just like the war on drugs -- completely futile. We're on the wrong end of the numbers game.

Amnorix
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
As noted in the two posts above yours.

sure, but I said it in less than 1,000 words. ;)

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Fighting illegal immigration is/will be just like the war on drugs -- completely futile. We're on the wrong end of the numbers game.

People murder no matter how many laws we make against it as well.

Brock
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM

Since we're not even trying, we'll probably never know.

NewChief
10-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I SUCK at drywalling.

I have contractor/remodeling friends who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. They will do everything from pouring slab to finish carpentry to digging foundation themselves, but they'll hire out the drywall. I never understood why until I tried to drywall our bathroom remodel myself. Needless to say, I subbed out the drywall on my next remodel project.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I have contractor/remodeling friends who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. They will do everything from pouring slab to finish carpentry to digging foundation themselves, but they'll hire out the drywall. I never understood why until I tried to drywall our bathroom remodel myself. Needless to say, I subbed out the drywall on my next remodel project.

LOL, it is nice to have the BIL once in awhile.

Radar Chief
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Willing to work for less is hard work to me. Of course they didn't work any harder physically. That's just working smart, IMO.

Sounds like capitalism at it's finest. Providing the same product for a cheaper price with a quicker turn around. Who gives a hell where it comes from. You have to watch out for your own interests. In this case, time and money.

Working for less = working smart?
Not IMO. To me thatís undercutting your value, but Iím not here to split hairs quite this fine.
Iím just using my situation as an example. To carry that example just a little farther: insurance companies base their settlement on the average cost for construction, labor and materials, in that area. So, maybe if we didnít have illegalís here screwing up the average my insurance company wouldíve paid more in line with what it would take to get an American crew to do the job. :shrug:
I know, ďInsurance company pay more? ROFLĒ but still.

bevischief
10-01-2009, 12:22 PM
No wonder your place's food sucks. All the great restaurants are comprised of a heavily illegal workforce cooking your food.

ROFL

Otter
10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
FWIW, I have no problem with the people. Illegal aliens are doing all they can to support their families. In fact, I have more respect for them than I do a lot of lazy-assed Americans looking for a handout instead of working for what they have. BTW - Calling them undocumented workers is like calling a burglar an uninvited visitor, stop using the stupid term.

However, the people aren't my problem. My God, my family, my country... in that order.

I am incensed with their Government though. The bastard not only condone the exportation of their people, they assist. They disgust me.

And as much as they disgust me, our own government does even more - From the Bracero Program in the early 40s to today our government has screwed us over. The Conservative Base does so to get cheap labor, the Liberal Base does so to expand their powerbase. And it has increased exponentially since the Clinton era.

And yes, you damned NeoComms, I blame GWB as well. So take that soapbox away from this thread - you don't need to muddle the conversation with more BS.

We have dumbasses believing the stupid speeches that illegals do the jobs we refuse to do - Plain Damned Blind Allegiance and Ignorance. We will do those jobs, we just won't do them at 3.43 an hour. It is reverse supply and demand with labor. We can reduce the supply by getting rid of people who don't belong and we then increase the demand and thus the wages. Use your brains - we need no one in this country to help us, we are helping them. If they want to come over legally, I got their back. But US FIRST. We are near 10% unemployment in this once great nation. I have over 20 applications a week for 0 jobs, many of them college grads wanting to clean the restaurant or do the dishes.

This crap with the Left wanting to delete the amendments proposed today to guard against illegals is just another stone on the back of the American people - and many of us are getting tired of carrying their useless weight.

Grow the F*ck up and give the United States of America back to the people that were born here or have earned their right to be here. We don't need the illegals, we certainly don't need Mexico, and right now I can think of no reason we need EITHER SIDE OF THE AISLE protecting those crossing our borders without our permission. It is the CITIZEN's nation, not the politicians. Listen to us for a change!!!!!

Great post.

Dirty politics is the root cause of the problem without a doubt but picking sides and making exceptions is a big reason this problem exists in the first place so I approach it with a blind eye. It's pretty simple in 99.9% of the cases; you are either here legally or or you are here illegally.

Enforce the laws in place.

As far as those doing what they can to support their family - they are not an exception to the law just because immigration laws aren't convenient enough. I know you know this I'm just reiterating.

Any one of us could do a whole lot better for our family money wise by transporting a plane load of coke from a small airport outside Tulua' into a an Arizona Desert.

Hog Farmer
10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
It's a big step forward.

Ok then ,YOU try to find an American citizen that wants to jack off a pig for minimum wage !

Otter
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok then ,YOU try to find an American citizen that wants to jack off a pig for minimum wage !

It's all ball bearings these days...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D-8532502869609931649&ei=yxDFSq27H9HelAf4lJGSAw&rct=j&q=automated+boar+collection+&usg=AFQjCNEnV_ytujN9jqA3KcORvRJ4f59q7Q

(I didn't actually see what's on this video because I'm at work so open at your own risk - it has something to do with a machine that collects boar semen)

Hog Farmer
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
It's all ball bearings these days...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdocid%3D-8532502869609931649&ei=yxDFSq27H9HelAf4lJGSAw&rct=j&q=automated+boar+collection+&usg=AFQjCNEnV_ytujN9jqA3KcORvRJ4f59q7Q

(I didn't actually see what's on this video because I'm at work so open at your own risk - it has something to do with a machine that collects boar semen)

Oh, so a machine hired to do the work really helps our unemployment situation.

headsnap
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh, so a machine hired to do the work really helps our unemployment situation.yes.

that is if the machine is made in the US...

Hog Farmer
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM
yes.

that is if the machine is made in the US...

Agreed , but it most likely won't be and also the demand for boar jacking machines won't quite match the demand for ford pickups.

RJ
10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Agreed , but it most likely won't be and also the demand for boar jacking machines won't quite match the demand for ford pickups.

Plus, I'm sure the boars find those machines terribly impersonal.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Great post.

Dirty politics is the root cause of the problem without a doubt but picking sides and making exceptions is a big reason this problem exists in the first place so I approach it with a blind eye. It's pretty simple in 99.9% of the cases; you are either here legally or or you are here illegally.

Enforce the laws in place.

As far as those doing what they can to support their family - they are not an exception to the law just because immigration laws aren't convenient enough. I know you know this I'm just reiterating.

Any one of us could do a whole lot better for our family money wise by transporting a plane load of coke from a small airport outside Tulua' into a an Arizona Desert.

Actually I went overboard on the post. While I was typing I was watching the Senate coverage in which it was reported the Dems voted down mandatory picture ID for all coverage. It really pissed me off.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh, so a machine hired to do the work really helps our unemployment situation.

Machines need maintenance and repair, my friend.

Otter
10-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Actually I went overboard on the post. While I was typing I was watching the Senate coverage in which it was reported the Dems voted down mandatory picture ID for all coverage. It really pissed me off.

Well any time you want I'll share through a PM the nitty gritty details of what illegal immigration has done to the employees who worked for my families 3rd generation business so you can see how operating heavy machinery is another one of those jobs American's don't want.

I'd post it all up but it's too much of a niche business not to be able to single me out.

**** them, **** our government who allows and **** them both for the lives they are ruining. There's not a prerequisite written in the American Dream where you're supposed to have a college education and a white collar job to be able to feed a family without living like a dog and then go retreat back to Mexico with your money to live like a king.

NewChief
10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
A local businessman who I'm friends with was just in this national article on e-verify:
http://www.qsrmagazine.com/articles/operations/133/everify-1.phtml

He's the guy with the pizza chain.

Otter
10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
From the article...

ďI think E-Verify is a red herring,Ē Foster says. ďFirst of all, the Social Security database was never meant to be a secure database. And besides, E-Verify only tells you a limited piece of information: Does that number match your name? But a significant portion of undocumented workers that are working here are using someone elseís name and Social Security number, so the computer will be very happy because it sees a perfect match.Ē His advice to quick-service owners is the same as Reidyís: Donít use E-Verify until you have to.Sorry but as an IT guy this makes absolutely no sense. None. Zip. Nadda. Zilch. It's pretty much a stupid thing to say.

But the above aside, E-Verify is a new concept and it's not going to be perfect or the end all be all but it's a step in the right direction. The internet started as ASCII code being sent over a phone line through a patch work protocol.

If someone said 'this is stupid and useless' instead of taking the idea and developing it into what we have today where would we be?

The agenda behind that article stinks worse than a pair of sweaty gym socks.

If it manages to kick out 1 illegal immigrant I'm all for E-Verify.

NewChief
10-02-2009, 03:36 PM
From the article...

Sorry but as an IT guy this makes absolutely no sense. None. Zip. Nadda. Zilch. It's pretty much a stupid thing to say.

But the above aside, E-Verify is a new concept and it's not going to be perfect or the end all be all but it's a step in the right direction. The internet started as ASCII code being sent over a phone line through a patch work protocol.

If someone said 'this is stupid and useless' instead of taking the idea and developing it into what we have today where would we be?

The agenda behind that article stinks worse than a pair of sweaty gym socks.

If it manages to kick out 1 illegal immigrant I'm all for E-Verify.

Umm, I dispute that the article had an agenda. That guy might have one, but the whole article didn't seem to be against e-verify. The article itself seemed to do a good job of just reporting on the service and the pros and cons of it. Though the subtitle of the article does make it appear that the overall assessment is to not use it. The reporting in the article didn't really back up that subtitle, imo.