PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues GM to shut down Saturn...

petegz28
10-01-2009, 07:42 AM
reported this morning. I guess the deal with Penske fell through.

BigRedChief
10-01-2009, 07:42 AM
I drove a Saturn in the mid 90's. Thought it was a good car.

Frazod
10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't understand how they can whack Pontiac and Saturn but keep Buick.

Taco John
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM

I don't see Tiger driving a Saturn, do you? ;)

Silock
10-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't understand why they even HAVE different brands. Just keep one.

Frazod
10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't see Tiger driving a Saturn, do you? ;)

Well, I think he's the only person under the age of 70 who does, and only because he gets one for free.

Easy 6
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Buick traditionally has much better reliability & quality than either of those two, their 3.8 V6 can hardly be any better.

Other than that, old people across America just love'em...without them, Buick might not have made it.

Garcia Bronco
10-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Buick dropped Tiger almost a year ago.

Deberg_1990
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Other than that, old people across America just love'em...without them, Buick might not have made it.

Well then they will die off eventually too.

Nobody under 40 drives a Buick or will ever hold any loyalty to that brand.

Easy 6
10-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Well then they will die off eventually too.

Nobody under 40 drives a Buick or will ever hold any loyalty to that brand.

Agreed, but for now they still do pretty good.

I've always thought that if GM really wanted to get 'lean & mean' they would pare down to Chevy & Cadillac, thats it.

KCWolfman
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Buick traditionally has much better reliability & quality than either of those two, their 3.8 V6 can hardly be any better.

The engines are interchangeable under the GM umbrella.

Easy 6
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The engines are interchangeable under the GM umbrella.

Thats true, other GM divisions have or have had the 3.8, but according to the mechanics where i work, the Buick engineers version is a step above.

RJ
10-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Because octogenarians need something to drive.

Easy 6
10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Because octogenarians need something to drive.

Yeah, Buick's styling leaves much to be desired these days.

That said, they really are excellent cars on the main. I dont know how many moms & dads have brought their 16 year old in for their first car where i work, needing something 'cheap but reliable', but when i try to do them a big favor by showing them a really nice little Buick for the right money, the kid inevitably shoots it down in flames & mom or dad (always) cave-in like pussies.

Yeah, go ahead on that piece of crap Grand Am that might split in half the moment you go over the curb, atleast it looks 'sporty' lol.

Spoiled ass kids these days, my first car was a 76 Datsun that before i had it, was bright orange, but now faded to the color of sherbet...and i was damned glad to get it.

Taco John
10-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Buick dropped Tiger almost a year ago.

SHUT IT DOWN!

Taco John
10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't understand why they even HAVE different brands. Just keep one.

You're fired.

Oh wait. You don't work for me. But if you want a job on a marketing team, let me know - oh, and, you're fired. :p

Frazod
10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm not going to be on the market for a new car anytime soon, but I'm pretty sure that, for the first time in my life, my next car will be foreign. Probably a Nissan. I've always been a GM guy, but they simply no longer offer a car I give a shit to drive that's in my price range.

Silock
10-01-2009, 11:52 AM
You're fired.

Oh wait. You don't work for me. But if you want a job on a marketing team, let me know - oh, and, you're fired. :p

Heh, it works for Nissan, Toyota and Honda... overseas. Americans are the only ones that fall for this "We're two different brands but actually the same brand" crap. Most Americans just don't understand that their favorite luxury car shares underpinnings with common commuter cars.

Deberg_1990
10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Heh, it works for Nissan, Toyota and Honda... overseas. Americans are the only ones that fall for this "We're two different brands but actually the same brand" crap. Most Americans just don't understand that their favorite luxury car shares underpinnings with common commuter cars.

Infiniti, Lexus and Acura ???

Amnorix
10-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Heard this third-hand the other day. Apparently when Ross Perot sold EDS to GM back in 1990, he sort of predicted its demise, saying something very much like:

"I don't understand how this company (meaning GM) can survive. It hates its suppliers, its dealers and its employees, and they seem to hate it."

Silock
10-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Infiniti, Lexus and Acura ???

Guess where those brands are sold. Hint: Not overseas.

HonestChieffan
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Why didnt Obama step in and have a beer with old Rog and the new dude at GM so they could work it out?

KC native
10-01-2009, 05:32 PM

The Chinese fucking love Buicks. That's why they aren't getting the ax. Buick is GM's road into the giant growing demand of Chinese for automobiles.

ChiTown
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
The Chinese ****ing love Buicks. That's why they aren't getting the ax. Buick is GM's road into the giant growing demand of Chinese for automobiles.

That's no shit.

I was in Beijing this Summer on Business, and couldn't believe the number of Buick's being driven. It was quite bizarre, actually.

stevieray
10-01-2009, 06:47 PM
That's no shit.

I was in Beijing this Summer on Business, and couldn't believe the number of Buick's being driven. It was quite bizarre, actually.
we had a PA with air ride and the 3.8 V6...nice ride.

Saul Good
10-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I drove a Saturn in the mid 90's. Thought it was a good car.

Did you buy another one?