PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Keeping Larry Johnson Not Paying Off

RustShack
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Decision to keep Larry Johnson not paying off
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 14, 2009 2:27 PM ET
The Chiefs won a grievance this offseason that enabled them to avoid paying Larry Johnson his previously guaranteed 2009 base salary.

But Johnson worked hard all offseason, and impressed the new Chiefs staff enough to keep him as a starter anyway, despite his lofty salary.

The team could be regretting that decision now.

Johnson is dead last in yards per carry among the league's top 50 rushers with a 2.4 average. He's getting the ball a lot (fifth in the league in attempts) and not going very far.

Kansas City's offensive line bears much of the blame, perhaps most of it. But the Chiefs need a runner that can break tackles or make people miss, and Johnson hasn't been that guy since Herm Edwards gave the ball to him 416 times in 2006. They could pay someone a lot less to run into the defense and fall.

The Chiefs are standing by Johnson:

"The kid ran hard," coach Todd Haley said of Johnson's 21-carry, 37-yard performance against the Cowboys. "He stuck it in there. He needs a little help, too . . . It wasn't all great, but Larry was an important part of us being in a position to win."

Backup Jamaal Charles has provided some big plays, but the team seems hesitant to use him except as a change of pace/third-down back. Kolby Smith could provide another option soon when he comes off the PUP list.

No matter how hard Johnson is running, he's not worth the money they are paying him. And there's no chance he'll be back next season. (That's why Florio thinks it's a good idea for Kansas City to deal him now.)

The contract Carl Peterson gave Johnson in 2007 will go down as a terrible use of the Hunt family's money, and another reminder for all running backs to get their money while they can, because a steep decline could be right around the corner.

T-post Tom
10-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Not sure what's more depressing: this or contemplating how those draft picks from Green Bay would have been used. :spock:

Hammock Parties
10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Johnson is dead last in yards per carry among the league's top 50 rushers with a 2.4 average.

I can play this game, too.

Dwayne Bowe is 74th among all NFL receivers in total yards and 67th in catches.

Hey, let's trade that worthless bum, too!

L.A. Chieffan
its obvious that only people on this board are anti-lj

Pestilence

:spock:

SenselessChiefsFan
10-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Not sure what's more depressing: this or contemplating how those draft picks from Green Bay would have been used. :spock:

The problem is that this was a rumor, and nothing more.

Yes, the Chiefs 'might' have gotten a decent pick for him, but these rumors of Green Bay offering a 1st and a 4th are BS.

Stuff on internet legend that allows us all to sit back and ponder how much the Chiefs screwed up by not taking it.... when it was never a possibility.

L.A. Chieffan
10-14-2009, 01:01 PM

does bowe have more than zero touchdowns?

KC kid
10-14-2009, 01:03 PM
LJ sucks. I have hated him forever

The_Doctor10
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM

Oh come on... You don't really mean that do you? Get it together, dude.

Btw, is Dwayne Bowe 5th in the league in targets???

Hammock Parties
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I do mean it.

Gregg Rosenthal probably hasn't watched more than one Chiefs game this year, if that.

He read a stat sheet and pulled an article out of his ass.

wild1
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
The difference is that Bowe has talent and upside, all Johnson seems to have is the ability to fall down after first contact and to be on the downside of his career.

T-post Tom
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
The problem is that this was a rumor, and nothing more.

Yes, the Chiefs 'might' have gotten a decent pick for him, but these rumors of Green Bay offering a 1st and a 4th are BS.

Stuff on internet legend that allows us all to sit back and ponder how much the Chiefs screwed up by not taking it.... when it was never a possibility.

I agree with you, but in this case the info comes from Kevin Harlan. He's closely aligned with the Packer front office. He said the Packers were willing to trade. Peterson didn't like their offer. It may have only been 1 pick, I just can't remember exactly what Harlan said the Packers were offering. At this point, it looks like the Chiefs should have made the trade if it was a 2nd or more. JMHO.

BigChiefFan
10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
It's not so-much that LJ is lights out, it's that the other candidates can't carry the workload without major growing pains, as their fumbles and untimely blocks have shown. If we go 0-9, LJ will be riding the pine. I suspect we'll see a heavy dose of Charles this week, regardless.

Coogs
10-14-2009, 01:34 PM
It's not so-much that LJ is lights out, it's that the other candidates can't carry the workload without major growing pains, as their fumbles and untimely blocks have shown. If we go 0-9, LJ will be riding the pine. I suspect we'll see a heavy dose of Charles this week, regardless.

LJ has put the ball on the ground twice the past two weeks(http://www.nfl.com/players/larryjohnson/profile?id=JOH399484), and his blocking has been cussed/discussed many times over the years.

LJ is quickly morphing into Donnell Bennett, and GoChiefs is taking over the roll of KCJohnny.

Hammock Parties
10-14-2009, 01:36 PM
LJ's blocking has been good this year. Of course few people here say anything.

Red Dawg
10-14-2009, 01:42 PM
A smaller faster back with some wiggle would be better to start with our patedic O-line. LJ is great with a solid run blocking line but that part of the Chiefs left 3 years ago. He can't escape anybody that gets through the line. A faster back could.

HemiEd
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM

He has improved his blocking, without a doubt, but there was so much room for improvement, all he had to do was actually try.

He is still running soft, and saving himself for his night life it would seem.

The biggest mistake with LJ, was removing his diapers.

KCtotheSB
10-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Let me stop you right there, GoChiefs and give you exactly 14 reasons why you're thinking about LJ being good is wrong. First off, Larry Johns*runs into post button and falls down*

Halfcan
10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
LJ sucks. I have hated him forever

I am sure you are not alone.

L.A. Chieffan
10-14-2009, 01:53 PM

i think he realizes that he cant contribute with actually carrying the ball so he better do something that doesnt take raw skill to keep his job

Warrior5
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
its obvious that only people on this board are anti-lj
Obviously racists...