PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I'm a little worried

MahiMike
10-15-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm a little worried

Since January we've all been so stoked that we A) got rid of Herm and Carl B) got the #1 GM on the market and C) got an offensive-minded coordinator from a SB team as a coach.

After every game this season, I've been disappointed but still stoked because of the foundation we've been laying. We knew this would take 2 or 3 years to turn around.

But today, I'm feeling a bit worried. Maybe because I went to bed too late or maybe because of the Bob Gretz articles I read this morning. The 1st one was an article about our draft class. We see it for ourselves each week and talk about it. But, to see that; out of all the guys we got, only an un-drafted pickup from another team and our kicker are worthy to play on an NFL team worries me. And that includes our #3 pick! Overall! Criminy! If Pioli were a baseball player, he just struck out in his 1st 6 times at bat.

The 2nd little article was just a quick transaction blurb where we (once again) picked up another guy from the Patriots castoffs.

I'm really starting to worry about our supposed #1 GM man here. It's as if he doesn't trust anything other than the organization he came from. He figures if the player was even sniffed by the Pats, he must be good enough for the Chiefs. Come on! I mean, can't you pick up an occasional player from another team to even things out? Or can you really not judge talent like we thought you could and/or you have no imagination.

Between the draft and the in-season acquisitions, Pioli is starting to worry me.

As for Haley, I still have confidence in him and I love his innovation and play calling (most of the time) with the players he has. But there are a couple of troubling things about him too. No, I don't care about his demeanor with the players. I actually like this too. I'm talking about his hard-headedness when it comes to trying to fit players into his system. Specifically, Iím talking about LJ.

Case #1 - Larry Johnson. Everyone but GoChiefs can see a downhill runner just doesn't work with a terrible line (and yes I know LJ hasn't been known as a downhill runner. But he is NOW). The only chance we have in the running game are screen passes and sweeps. We have 2 other guys on the roster that can do this. And I'm sure they can pass block better than LJ.

Case #2 - Sticking with the running game when it's late in the game and not working. We lost that OT game on 2nd down handing it off to LJ.

Haley's issues can be fixed pretty easily and I still think this offense will be clicking by the end of the year - but only if LJ is replaced.

Pioli is the biggest worry.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
We're five fucking games in. There's no reason to worry yet.

Christ, we got Mr. Irrelevant and turned him into a stud. If that's not proof of Pioli's genius....

I'll worry in a couple years, not now. All this knee-jerking is ridiculous.

bobbything
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm not worried, I'm just apathetic.

Demonpenz
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I wasn't worried, I disagree yelling, berating, and embarressing your team is the way to sucess.

Lumpy
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
A "little worried"? That's an understatement. Get some sleep. Don't dream about Pioli.

TEX
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
We're five ****ing games in. There's no reason to worry yet.

Christ, we got Mr. Irrelevant and turned him into a stud. If that's not proof of Pioli's genius....

Sure - our kicker is a stud. But the rest of the draft is anything but (at this point). Besides, didn't you say the same things about one Herm Edwards???
Those of us that "worried" the second he was nemed HC were right. Those like you warning of knee - jerk resctions, had something else jerked. What truly is "ridiculous" is when you were proven worng about so called knee-jerk reactions, and now you're doing the same thing again. There is clearly cause for concern.

MichaelH
10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not worried yet. Frustrated, but if you are a Chiefs fan then you should be. I said this after game one and I will say it again, I am very much more at ease with the current Front office and coaching staff than last year. It is going to take some time to purge the crap and get forward momentum and that's the frustrating part. I have to turn off every damn sports show when I keep hearing "it was only the Chiefs". Most shows don't even consider the Chiefs a team right now. But it will be sweet when they come out and start winning again. They were good in 2004/2005 but I think in 2 years they will be better than that.

Micjones
10-15-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm not worried yet. It's far too early at this point.
They've obviously made some mistakes thus far, but this was a horrible job to take on from the outset. It's going to take time.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Those of us that "worried" the second he was nemed HC were right.

What a joke. After five games you pass judgment?

No one is right. He could be a good HC, a terrible one, or Marty II.

No one knows. So just be patient...and stop knee-jerking.

ChiefGator
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
And don't throw in the sponge on our #3 pick either. I think we stresses d-Line, since the big bodies there usually take several years to develop. better to grab them now and let them start improving, so they have a couple year head start on our other players. Give it time...

salame
10-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I think Kolby Smith will get his shot as a starter as soon as he is cleared to play

Micjones
10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I think Kolby Smith will get his shot as a starter as soon as he is cleared to play

I think he'll get the chance to play. I doubt that they'll make an immediate switch.

That'd really be kind of foolish anyway until you see how well he responds physically.

If an immediate change is necessary (which doesn't seem consistent with the HC's ideas about this offense) it should be to Jamaal Charles until we're sure Kolby is ready.

DaWolf
10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I share your concerns because these guys have to prove it here. Every situation is different and the issues in KC are far different than the issues facing other franchises. But one thing that I've read in studying the situation here and the one in NE, is that while they still had a better core of players to start out with there, Belichick and Pioli took an 8-8 team in 2000 and tore it apart and went 5-11 that first year, and everyone in NE was grumbling. So change in a Pioli world is slow and painful, but hopefully, hopefully it will pan out. Again, time will tell, and these guys need to prove it as Chiefs...

sodcat
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I think it'll take a little more that 5 games for our recent draft picks, here are Neil Smith's stats:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitNe00.htm

Micjones
10-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I think it'll take a little more that 5 games for our recent draft picks, here are Neil Smith's stats:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitNe00.htm

If you expect Jackson to produce like Smith did you're going to be disappointed.

HemiEd
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I wasn't worried, I disagree yelling, berating, and embarressing your team is the way to sucess.

Yeah, that part bothers me as well, it only works for some people. I wish they could find someone in the middle of the road, you don't have to baby the players, but don't humiliate them either.

This next offseason will tell me what I want to know about Pioli, as I am not really worried about him yet. But the entire coaching staff is still suspect to me.

nychief
10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I dunno... our fans have been driven crazy by the losing.... or we just have shitty fans.

Gotta beat the traffic.

rambleonthruthefog
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
if you're already worried about Tyson Jackson, then you're a f*ck*ing idiot.

Sure-Oz
10-15-2009, 11:46 AM
We're five ****ing games in. There's no reason to worry yet.

stud in his 5 fg attempts

sodcat
10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
If you expect Jackson to produce like Smith did you're going to be disappointed.

Really? Thats why I said we'll have to wait and see, NO ONE knows what we have in this guy yet, but if people are gonna whine about it 5 games in they might as well tune in to the history channel.

Demonpenz
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
i hope kolby gets his shot. Love LJ. carried the rock for a million yards here, but he is not wanting to be in the hall of fame.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2009, 12:01 PM
lol @ the people getting behind Kolby Smith.

He is trash.

Demonpenz
10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
lol @ the people getting behind Kolby Smith.

He is trash.

let us dream damnit

Micjones
10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Really? Thats why I said we'll have to wait and see, NO ONE knows what we have in this guy yet, but if people are gonna whine about it 5 games in they might as well tune in to the history channel.

I think even if he realizes his full potential he won't be that kind of Defensive End.
I'm prepared to wait and see how he pans out though.

RealSNR
10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll get on the Jarvarris Williams bandwagon before I get on the Kolby Smith bandwagon.

Smith should have been cut. He doesn't have half of Larry's talent.

SDChiefs
10-15-2009, 12:34 PM
We're five fucking games in. There's no reason to worry yet.

1 pick in 7 makes him a genious? News to me. I thought for sure you had to get 3 to 4 picks right to even be in this league. At this rate, 1 good player a year, I see a SB in 45 years. Sweet. Out with the 5 year plan in with the 45 year plan.

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I'll get on the Jarvarris Williams bandwagon before I get on the Kolby Smith bandwagon.

Smith should have been cut. He doesn't have half of Larry's talent.

But Smith is a hard worker and runs for the tough yards.

If healthy, he's better than Battle or Savage, even though that's not saying much.

RealSNR
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
But Smith is a hard worker and runs for the tough yards.

If healthy, he's better than Battle or Savage, even though that's not saying much.So was Donnell Bennett.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2009, 12:59 PM
1 pick in 7 makes him a genious? News to me. I thought for sure you had to get 3 to 4 picks right to even be in this league. At this rate, 1 good player a year, I see a SB in 45 years. Sweet. Out with the 5 year plan in with the 45 year plan.

NO ONE thought Succop was gonna amount to shit when we picked him. Pioli not only picked him he cut the veteran kicker in camp because he had Succop tabbed as the guy.

As for the rest of the picks, you know it takes 3 years to judge a draft class.

PATIENCE.