PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Word on Glenn Dorsey from Michigan Media

T-post Tom
10-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Lions' Martin Mayhew on the clock; Chiefs defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey available?
By Tom Kowalski
October 18, 2009, 8:40PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/10/lions_martin_mayhew_on_the_clo.html

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew, after witnessing his team's 26-0 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, has now watched his team lose five of its first six games.

Mayhew, though, probably hasn't learned a great deal more than he knew going into this season. He knew there would be progress at a lot of positions but two of the most important spots -- defensive line and secondary -- are woefully undermanned.

Mayhew has less than two days to rectify that problem. OK, not rectify it, or even solve it, but he can help stop the bleeding a little. The NFL trading deadline is 4 p.m. Tuesday and Mayhew has to be toying with the idea of pulling the trigger on a deal.

One of the most interesting prospects is Glenn Dorsey of the Kansas City Chiefs, a defensive end who has been in and out of the doghouse, a player who still is adapting to a position switch and a guy who isn't a mystery to the Lions.

Detroit defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was with the Chiefs when they made Dorsey the fifth overall pick of the 2008 draft.

Dorsey started all 16 games at defensive tackle for the Chiefs last season but was moved to defensive end when Kansas City went from a 4-3 defensive alignment to a 3-4 this season. The Chiefs admitted from the start that he wasn't a perfect fit for that scheme, but he has played well this season.

There was a weight problem earlier but that's no longer an issue. There was the belief that the coaching staff was down on Dorsey, but now that has changed and they've embraced him.

You have to wonder how legit that really is. One of the most common ploys among personnel people of the NFL (National Federation of Liars) is to swear up and down that you love a guy and that he's part of the foundation for your team.

Anybody remember Roy Williams? It was about a year ago when the Lions were adamant that their receiver -- a former first-round pick -- was not on the trading block. The deception worked as the Dallas Cowboys gave up far too much in a trade for Williams (a first- and third-round pick and swap of lower-round choices).

There are a few lessons to be learned there. One, you can't believe everything you hear -- regardless of how sincere and sensible it might sound. Two, be careful what you wish for.

The difference in this situation, though, is that the Cowboys didn't know Williams nearly as well as the Lions know Dorsey. Cunningham knows a great deal about Dorsey, especially his ability to play the position for which the Lions would want him, defensive tackle.

Cunningham knew all the positives and negatives on Dorsey as he was coming out of LSU and he knows how Dorsey adapted to the NFL. Cunningham is huge on preparation, and he'll know if Dorsey really has what it takes to turn the corner or whether he's going to go astray once he's off the short leash.

The Lions would like to try to make some moves before the trading deadline, but Mayhew has to be careful. There has to be a strong desire to make a big move to help the team -- Oakland Raiders Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is rumored to also be on the block -- but at what price?

So far, the Lions have done an excellent job of helping the team through the draft. Mayhew has said repeatedly that that's the key to building a solid foundation. Do you deviate from that because you think you can strike it rich?

They'll look at Dorsey (and others) and it'll come down to weighing risk vs. reward.

The Lions likely will have a pick from second overall to sixth overall in next year's draft. There could be a dominant defensive lineman available at that spot and, according to personnel people I've talked to, there could be another starting caliber defensive lineman available to Detroit at the top of the second round.

As the trade deadline approaches, do you make the best deal you can or do you let the temptation pass? Mayhew is on the clock.

The_Doctor10
10-19-2009, 03:07 AM
So Gunther's plan is to bring in a guy he coached like shit last year so that he can coach him like shit again?

OutSTANDing... only the frickin' Lions...

KCChiefsMan
10-19-2009, 03:33 AM
It almost seems like Dorsey has been improving, Unless they want to give us a 1st then I would keep him. D-lineman don't usually get good until their 2nd/3rd years

BigRedChief
10-19-2009, 06:12 AM
So we trade our top 5 pick who now is starting to come around for another gamble next year? No friggin way, maybe the rumors were true before the season with the switch to to 3-4 but not now.

InChiefsHell
10-19-2009, 06:17 AM
I think the time has come to stop trading our young guys away. Shit, the guy was a first round pick, and he's coming along this season. Of course, if we trade him it better be for a first...imagine getting the Lions first pick and our first pick...we'd probably have 2 top 5 picks...can we even afford that?

I guess you can trade your picks as well...

kcchiefsus
10-19-2009, 06:22 AM
I've consistently seen Dorsey in the opponents backfield and overall this team has been solid against the run, alot of which can be credited to Dorsey IMO. Get a decent nose tackle to team with Dorsey and Jackson and a year or two from now when Dorsey and Jackson start to finally realize their full potential this is looking like a pretty damn good defensive line, especially with if Alex Magee develops and we find some other good depth.

I don't care if Dorsey isn't the typical 3-4 DE, he has done a good job.

booger
10-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Too much has happened for him to be traded. He lost 50 lbs to get back to his pro day workout numbers. That was the only workout he did prior to the draft. He didn't attend the combine because of a death in the family. So now he is back to the weight he played so well at and made him one of the top wanted players.

Also the money factor. Who wants to take on the risk of the package it would take to get him but also the weight gain he went through at the end of last season?

I seriously doubt there is any real talks involving him.

One guy who could interest Detroit is Tank Tyler though. He's been very active and made around 15+ tackles from the NT spot but has lost out on much of his snaps lately. They are obviously happy with Ron Edwards starting. And they did recently workout NT's.

So Tank could draw interest for 43 teams who want a disrupter which he can be.

I don't expect us to be shoppers but wouldn't mind this guy

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/417097

Inactive because of a knee inj and loss of his starting spot to Haynesworth, Anthony Montgomery would be a good get for the DL rotation at NT and possibly DE. 6'6 330, only 25.

LaChapelle
10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
What will struggling teams have to keep the fans interested after the trading deadline?

booger
10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I hope in the future they push back the deadline until early/mid November instead of week 7. Could allow for more deals.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I'd trade Tyson Jackson long before I'd trade Glenn Dorsey.

DeezNutz
10-19-2009, 07:37 AM

As a n00b, Jackson has shown enough flashes for me to believe he'll be a beast. And we certainly will never recoup our investment via trade (or likely by his play on the field, but I digress...), so no chance I'd consider trading either.

Unless someone just got completely fucking stupid with an offer, of course.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-19-2009, 07:39 AM

Read my mind.

BigRedChief
10-19-2009, 07:40 AM
I'd trade Tyson Jackson long before I'd trade Glenn Dorsey.so, you are ready to give up on the #3 pick in the draft after 6 games? A DL? When its clear the DL's can become beasts after a couple of years of looking like flops. But for every Mario williams there is a Ryan Sims. It's always a crapshoot. Way too early to fold on Jackson, IMHO.

DeezNutz
10-19-2009, 07:42 AM
so, you are ready to give up on the #3 pick in the draft after 6 games? A DL? When its clear the DL's can become beasts after a couple of years of looking like flops. But for every Mario williams there is a Ryan Sims. It's always a crapshoot. Way too early to fold on Jackson, IMHO.

His post was meant to be more praise of Dorsey than a critique of Jackson, I believe.

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't have picked jackson in the first place.

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 07:44 AM
As a n00b, Jackson has shown enough flashes for me to believe he'll be a beast. And we certainly will never recoup our investment via trade (or likely by his play on the field, but I digress...), so no chance I'd consider trading either.

Unless someone just got completely ****ing stupid with an offer, of course.

I would like to know the play and games of these beastly acts. I haven't even seen him on the field much

DeezNutz
10-19-2009, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't have picked jackson in the first place.

Whom do you believe we should have selected?

(pushes tee into the ground and slowly backs up...)

DeezNutz
10-19-2009, 07:45 AM
I would like to know the play and games of these beastly acts. I haven't even seen him on the field much

Well, yesterday with 16:02 left in the 2nd, for one.

Motherfucker came through like Karnov and said, bitch, not on my watch.

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 07:49 AM
fd

TheGuardian
10-19-2009, 07:50 AM

This is exactly the kind of shit that makes me laugh at you, and the fact that you think you are so smart.

booger
10-19-2009, 07:56 AM
fd

LMAO

he should get deal from dorritos

Chiefless
10-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I really doubt Pioli wants two top 5 picks next year. Too much money. If he were to trade Dorsey it would likely be for a 2 and a 3 (or something like that). Personally, I'd like to hang on to him and see if he really is rounding into the player he is supposed to be.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-19-2009, 08:04 AM
This is exactly the kind of shit that makes me laugh at you, and the fact that you think you are so smart.

LMAO Right. Because Dorsey was the reach and Jackson was the can't miss prospect.

TheGuardian
10-19-2009, 08:07 AM
LMAO Right. Because Dorsey was the reach and Jackson was the can't miss prospect.

No it's because we're 6 games into Jackson's rookie season and some people are already on the verge of calling him a bust, much like they did with Dorsey last season and now they look like dumbasses. Kind of like how some dumbasses here keep saying that Dorsey is being wasted in this scheme when they don't have a damned clue as to what kind of player he is. The reason he looks better in this defense is because it is more similar gap wise to what he was asked to do in college. He is NOT a true 3-technique defensive tackle, and never was. Yet some people keep talking about him like he is.

Defensive linemen generally take a few seasons to develop and Jackson will eventually be as good or maybe better than Dorsey.

irishjayhawk
10-19-2009, 08:08 AM

I know you weren't a fan of that pick (Jackson) but can you please explain why in this case?

FTR, not a fan of trading either of them at this point.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
No it's because we're 6 games into Jackson's rookie season and some people are already on the verge of calling him a bust, much like they did with Dorsey last season and now they look like dumbasses. Kind of like how some dumbasses here keep saying that Dorsey is being wasted in this scheme when they don't have a damned clue as to what kind of player he is. The reason he looks better in this defense is because it is more similar gap wise to what he was asked to do in college. He is NOT a true 3-technique defensive tackle, and never was. Yet some people keep talking about him like he is.

Defensive linemen generally take a few seasons to develop and Jackson will eventually be as good or maybe better than Dorsey.

It's just as ridiculous to say that Jackson will eventually be as good or better than Dorsey as it is to claim either one is a bust at this point. Dorsey was the best player coming out of last year's draft. Jackson was projected to go in the teens until Pioli decided to "Seymour" him. I understand what you're getting at, but I disagree. Dorsey should be considerably better than Tyson Jackson.

TheGuardian
10-19-2009, 08:12 AM
It's just as ridiculous to say that Jackson will eventually be as good or better than Dorsey as it is to claim either one is a bust at this point. Dorsey was the best player coming out of last year's draft. Jackson was projected to go in the teens until Pioli decided to "Seymour" him. I understand what you're getting at, but I disagree. Dorsey should be considerably better than Tyson Jackson.

Because of draft hype? People slide up and down draft boards for all sorts of reason every year so I put much stock into that. Jackson to me has a little bit more upside because of his overall size and speed, but he still has to meet it. He's not going to be a bust, just like Dorsey isn't.

BigRedChief
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't have picked jackson in the first place.I would agree with this. hell, off the top of my head I can rattle off at least 10 guys I would have picked before Jackson. We will see who is smarter, Pioli or us. Hopefully for us, it's Pioli.

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I think people expect too much out of Dorsey, if you saw my draft review he was more Tom Barnt than Warren Sapp

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 08:18 AM
I would agree with this. hell, off the top of my head I can rattle off at least 10 guys I would have picked before Jackson. We will see who is smarter, Pioli or us. Hopefully for us, it's Pioli.

yep damn it would be nice to have a play maker like maclin

Mr. Flopnuts
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Because of draft hype? People slide up and down draft boards for all sorts of reason every year so I put much stock into that. Jackson to me has a little bit more upside because of his overall size and speed, but he still has to meet it. He's not going to be a bust, just like Dorsey isn't.

All I'm saying is, draft hype is draft hype. Players slide up and down and that's accurate. But Dorsey was the consensus best player out of last year's draft. Jackson wasn't even close this year. We're on the same page. I wouldn't trade either of them, but I wouldn't even entertain offers on Dorsey unless they were more than ridiculous.

HemiEd
10-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Well said.

Mojo Jojo
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
All I'm saying is, draft hype is draft hype. Players slide up and down and that's accurate. But Dorsey was the consensus best player out of last year's draft. Jackson wasn't even close this year. We're on the same page. I wouldn't trade either of them, but I wouldn't even entertain offers on Dorsey unless they were more than ridiculous.

How can someone, according to you, is the best player out of last year's draft slip to fifth? I guess the two teams that picked before us last year and went to the playoffs last year didn't consider him the best pick. Also, the Raiders drafted before us and are 2-1 vs. the Chiefs since that draft.

Just like DJ...Dorsey slipped for a reason.

Lzen
10-19-2009, 08:46 AM
so, you are ready to give up on the #3 pick in the draft after 6 games? A DL? When its clear the DL's can become beasts after a couple of years of looking like flops. But for every Mario williams there is a Ryan Sims. It's always a crapshoot. Way too early to fold on Jackson, IMHO.

Dude, this is Chiefs Planet. This kind of silliness is nothing new.

ChiefMojo
10-19-2009, 08:46 AM
I hope we don't trade Dorsey as he is coming into his own at his new position. He is actually starting to look like the player we hoped to draft. If I remember correctly, he had 7 tackles yesterday and that is a lot for a DL. Edwards/Tank are serviceable, but we need a stud NT to go along with our DE's. To be honest I think we are quality two deep at the DE position (even if very young).

beer bacon
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Dorsey has been our best d-linemen this season. You don't get better by trading away young, talented linemen. That would be a stupid move.

Demonpenz
10-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I didn't think doresy was the best D end let alone the best player in that draft

Chiefshrink
10-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Remember, Pioli and Haley had there draft board ranked as well 2yrs ago and maybe they didn't have Dorsey high at all in their NFL eyes. Remember you are comparing Pioli & Haley to Carl & Herm here. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Pioli and Haley at this time Carl & Herm sucked. The only thing I will give credit to Herm for is being able to spot D-back talent.

BigRedChief
10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Dorsey has been our best d-linemen this season. You don't get better by trading away young, talented linemen. That would be a stupid move.uhhhh Jared Allen would come to mind....:hmmm: That worked out real well.....for frigging Minnesota! :banghead:

wild1
10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Detroit defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham was with the Chiefs when they made Dorsey the fifth overall pick of the 2008 draft.

And that's the entire basis of a baseless article...?

Boiled Chicken
10-19-2009, 09:09 AM
uhhhh Jared Allen would come to mind....:hmmm: That worked out real well.....for frigging Minnesota! :banghead:

Its all karma in the NFL, this is just the NFL gods making it right for the Herschel deal. In 20 years, we'll get our payback too.

Pestilence
10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Cunningham is huge on preparation, and he'll know if Dorsey really has what it takes to turn the corner or whether he's going to go astray once he's off the short leash.

Really? That worthless fuck is huge on preparation? Is that why we were always so unprepared on defense?

Mr. Laz
10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
if detroit wants to trade us their #1 pick for next year ... fine ... otherwise forget it.

Chiefnj2
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
McBride picked up 1 1/2 sacks yesterday. Gunther is working miracles, except for the 25+ point losses the Lions seem to suffer every week.

Spicy McHaggis
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Gunther just needs to get his guys in through some trades. And then he needs his guys in the draft. And then he needs to get his guys in free agency. And then he needs to find a head coach who believes the same things he does. And then he needs to take the training wheels off and let his players knock some dicks in the dirt. And then maybe a few more free agents and draft picks.

That's when the winning starts.

Easy 6
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
So Gunther's plan is to bring in a guy he coached like shit last year so that he can coach him like shit again?

OutSTANDing... only the frickin' Lions...

Exactly, Gunther might be the most over-rated coach in any capacity, in the NFL.

He needs a cast of studs to look competent, he's not top D co-ordinator material...thats why he was coaching LB's for Tennessee, until Carl dredged him back up for nostalgia purposes to placate naive fans (yes, i drank the Red Rah Rah Kool-Aid too :shake:).

KCUnited
10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Gunther just needs to get his guys in through some trades. And then he needs his guys in the draft. And then he needs to get his guys in free agency. And then he needs to find a head coach who believes the same things he does. And then he needs to take the training wheels off and let his players knock some dicks in the dirt. And then maybe a few more free agents and draft picks.

That's when the winning starts.
One would think, but only when he gets out of the booth and down on the sideline to get in guys faces will the winning start.

TheGuardian
10-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Dorsey slid because of that injury he played through if I recall correctly. You also have to remember that need factors into what some people want. If you're not hurting on the defensive line and you're picking top 3 but your offensive line is in shambles you don't take a Dorsey if Jake Long is sitting there. Two players both considered equal or top five you take the guy that can fill a bigger need. Either way, dorsey is certainly panning out like most said he would. Jackson will too. I think if we get those two a legit nose tackle they are going to make life miserable for most teams.

jspchief
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
We want to get rid of Dorsey so we can start who in his place?

Pestilence
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Dorsey slid because of that injury he played through if I recall correctly. You also have to remember that need factors into what some people want. If you're not hurting on the defensive line and you're picking top 3 but your offensive line is in shambles you don't take a Dorsey if Jake Long is sitting there. Two players both considered equal or top five you take the guy that can fill a bigger need. Either way, dorsey is certainly panning out like most said he would. Jackson will too. I think if we get those two a legit nose tackle they are going to make life miserable for most teams.

Thank God we didn't take Jake Long. That dude can't handle the speed rush for shit.

Buehler445
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I would fucking kill myself if I were Dorsey and they traded me to Cunther.

Seriously. The kid is finally starting to see some success. It would be brutal to go to a terrible team with a DC you know is worthless as tits on a boar and is going to 1. Make you switch positions again, and 2. give you assignments that don't match up with your strengths.
Posted via Mobile Device

TEX
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank God we didn't take Jake Long. That dude can't handle the speed rush for shit.

Yet. Bruce Mathews was the same way in the beginning...

58kcfan89
10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
I can't wait until after the deadline passes. I'm sick of hearing that Dorsey & Bowe are on the block when they're two of our best players on either side of the ball. Dorsey is finally looking like that top-5 pick and Bowe (although he had a bit of a setback yesterday) is producing well (all things considered) and seemed to be out of the doghouse before a few drops yesterday.

I know new regimes like to have their own players, but why trade away guys who have done everything you've asked of them and have massive amounts of potential to be building blocks of the franchise? Just because they were drafted before the new GM got there doesn't mean they're worthless.

Here's hoping Pioli recognizes this and keeps Dorsey/Bowe. Only exception being a ridiculous offer.

RINGLEADER
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I think the time has come to stop trading our young guys away. Shit, the guy was a first round pick, and he's coming along this season. Of course, if we trade him it better be for a first...imagine getting the Lions first pick and our first pick...we'd probably have 2 top 5 picks...can we even afford that?

I guess you can trade your picks as well...

Agree 100%

We would be a MUCH better team and have a much stronger foundation if we had kept Jared Allen and gotten a stud OT in free agency. It's not like we didn't have the cap space.

RINGLEADER
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Exactly, Gunther might be the most over-rated coach in any capacity, in the NFL.

He needs a cast of studs to look competent, he's not top D co-ordinator material...thats why he was coaching LB's for Tennessee, until Carl dredged him back up for nostalgia purposes to placate naive fans (yes, i drank the Red Rah Rah Kool-Aid too :shake:).

As we all know he believes the key to winning is to "RUN THE BALL AND PLAY DEFENSE!"

Which is why he hasn't won many games in his jobs as HC/DC.

At least when he didn't have Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas on either side of the D-Line and two shut-down corners in the secondary.

Just Passin' By
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
We want to get rid of Dorsey so we can start who in his place?

Well, if you take the article to heart, you'd be trading Dorsey and getting the Lions' first round pick. With that pick and your own, you're looking at two top ten picks. That would put you in position to possibly get your nose tackle and safety.

Saccopoo
10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
if detroit wants to trade us their #1 pick for next year ... fine ... otherwise forget it.

Actually, I think that there is going to be some really, really good talent in the second and third rounds of the '10 draft. I don't see what the Chiefs would get with another top ten pick that they couldn't get at the top of the second round, other than making the argument of getting Suh and either Okung or Berry if there was a Dorsey trade.

The thing is, Detroit know that if they are picking in the top five in next years draft that either Suh or McCoy is going to be available to them (if McCoy comes out), and they are going to have to weigh the known with the unknown in terms of giving up a pick for Dorsey. However, if they gave the Chiefs their, say 2nd, 3rd/4th this year and the 3rd and 4th/5th next year, or something like that, then they could pick up that up tackle D-lineman that they need so badly and then pick someone like Okung to help shore up their offensive line. The Chiefs would benefit from not having to take a massive cap hit with two top five/ten picks, but have picks in that critical high 2/3 round area.

Depending upon what the Chiefs would get in return, it could be a win/win for both teams. Detroit gets a stud D-lineman that would return to his natural position, and get a chance on the consensus best LT in this upcoming draft in Okung. Chiefs would then get a chance at a big playmaker like Suh or Berry (Suh would be my choice in this scenario), and have the opportunity to pick up an excellent player at the top of the 2nd round in addition to their two current second round picks (plus whatever else the compensation would be).

Saccopoo
10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, if you take the article to heart, you'd be trading Dorsey and getting the Lions' first round pick. With that pick and your own, you're looking at two top ten picks. That would put you in position to possibly get your nose tackle and safety.

I don't think that there is a nose tackle in this draft that is worthy of a top ten pick.

ChiefsCountry
10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Gunther has nothing to do in Detroit, he is Schwartz's bitch. It was the same when they were in Tennessee. Schwartz would turn Dorsey into one hell of a player. There is a reason why I wanted Schwartz as our head coach.

Saccopoo
10-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I know new regimes like to have their own players, but why trade away guys who have done everything you've asked of them and have massive amounts of potential to be building blocks of the franchise? Just because they were drafted before the new GM got there doesn't mean they're worthless.

Because this team has so many holes from a personnel standpoint that one guy isn't going to make the difference (see Jared Allen). I don't care who it is, no one is untradable. There is always a price. (Roy Williams recently and Ricky Williams a while back for perfect examples of this. The Herschel Walker deal was a lot more balanced initially than most people think. It's just that Dallas made some superb picks in the draft with the picks that they received from the trade which makes it look lopsided.)

Right now, Dorsey is a two down defensive end in the Chiefs 3-4 system. Yes, he's playing substantially better, most likely due to Haley getting on his ass to start the season and making sure that he finally gets some coaching and motivation. But in reality, he is a 4-3 up tackle, and would play that position in Detroit and be a three down guy in doing so.

I like Dorsey a lot. I think he's made good strides this year. But if the price is right, both teams come out winners in this deal.

ChiefaRoo
10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't care if he is short. So was Dan Saleamua. Keep Dorsey and let him continue to improve. It's time to build on this first win and to get some identity built into this organization.

booger
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Too much has happened for him to be traded. He lost 50 lbs to get back to his pro day workout numbers. That was the only workout he did prior to the draft. He didn't attend the combine because of a death in the family. So now he is back to the weight he played so well at and made him one of the top wanted players.

Also the money factor. Who wants to take on the risk of the package it would take to get him but also the weight gain he went through at the end of last season?

I seriously doubt there is any real talks involving him.

One guy who could interest Detroit is Tank Tyler though. He's been very active and made around 15+ tackles from the NT spot but has lost out on much of his snaps lately. They are obviously happy with Ron Edwards starting. And they did recently workout NT's.

So Tank could draw interest for 43 teams who want a disrupter which he can be.
I don't expect us to be shoppers but wouldn't mind this guy

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/417097

Inactive because of a knee inj and loss of his starting spot to Haynesworth, Anthony Montgomery would be a good get for the DL rotation at NT and possibly DE. 6'6 330, only 25.

Montgomery next? He has been rumored to be available.

IIRC the NT's we worked out recently were Tim Anderson and Marlon Favorite along with William Joseph who i think is more of a DE for us but maybe could backup both NT and DE.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Actually, I think that there is going to be some really, really good talent in the second and third rounds of the '10 draft. I don't see what the Chiefs would get with another top ten pick that they couldn't get at the top of the second round, other than making the argument of getting Suh and either Okung or Berry if there was a Dorsey trade.

The thing is, Detroit know that if they are picking in the top five in next years draft that either Suh or McCoy is going to be available to them (if McCoy comes out), and they are going to have to weigh the known with the unknown in terms of giving up a pick for Dorsey. However, if they gave the Chiefs their, say 2nd, 3rd/4th this year and the 3rd and 4th/5th next year, or something like that, then they could pick up that up tackle D-lineman that they need so badly and then pick someone like Okung to help shore up their offensive line. The Chiefs would benefit from not having to take a massive cap hit with two top five/ten picks, but have picks in that critical high 2/3 round area.

Depending upon what the Chiefs would get in return, it could be a win/win for both teams. Detroit gets a stud D-lineman that would return to his natural position, and get a chance on the consensus best LT in this upcoming draft in Okung. Chiefs would then get a chance at a big playmaker like Suh or Berry (Suh would be my choice in this scenario), and have the opportunity to pick up an excellent player at the top of the 2nd round in addition to their two current second round picks (plus whatever else the compensation would be).hell with that multiple mid round pick crap.

a top 1st round pick for a top 1st round pick .. with the signing bonus already paid no less.

otherwise jump on a pointed stick.