PDA

View Full Version : Electronics One more time.....TVs

Groves
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
This technology seems so agile that whenever someone posts a "which TV" thread, I write stuff down, but a month later it seems a lot of the models change.

Is there a website that has current reviews. Something other than CNET and the like?

We sit about 12ft from the TV, so it might be a big screen in my future.

Also, anyone happy with their pivoting wall mount?

We get lots of light in this room, so that means plasma is the way to go, right?

Full of reposted questions today, sorry.

RJ
10-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Didn't somebody start a thread bitching about a Vizio a few days ago?

Sorry, that's all I got.

How big does a tv have to be to qualify as a big screen?

Congrats, your only reply has come from a guy who knows even less than you.

WhitiE
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
This technology seems so agile that whenever someone posts a "which TV" thread, I write stuff down, but a month later it seems a lot of the models change.

Is there a website that has current reviews. Something other than CNET and the like?

We get lots of light in this room, so that means plasma is the way to go, right?

if u have lots of light you dont want to go with plasma go with LCD

DMAC
10-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Isnt there an anti glare coating for plasmas?

BCD
10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
if u have lots of light you dont want to go with plasma go with LCDI have a plasma. The amount of lighting also depends on the kind of lighting. I have ample lighting, but its fluorescent. No negative effect. I'm 10 ft. from my 50". Depending on the amount you have to spend, I'd get an LED.

WhitiE
10-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a plasma. The amount of lighting also depends on the kind of lighting. I have ample lighting, but its fluorescent. No negative effect. I'm 10 ft. from my 50". Depending on the amount you have to spend, I'd get an LED.

i read it as he gets sunlight and if so u want LCD

and ive never heard of an anti glare coating for a plasma DMAC but that doesn't mean someone doesn't make one

King_Chief_Fan
10-19-2009, 03:36 PM

you go with the new Samsung....50+ inches
LED< 240hz to keep the blurs away...this thing is impressive....and expensive.
go to abesofmaine.com for prices. some of the lowest I have seen

BCD
10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
i read it as he gets sunlight and if so u want LCD

I use blinds to block any sunlight. My TV is perpendicular to my windows so that glare really isn't an issue.

vachief58
10-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I bought the 46" samsung LED 240hz. And took it back. The motion plus makes any show look like a highschool production due to the "smooth trcking". You have to shut it off for movies and have it on for sports. Also, the picture is washedout which makes for glaring whites.Oh and the sound is crap. Save the money get a regular LCD until OLED comes out.
Posted via Mobile Device

bluehawkdoc
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a 60" Sony SXRD rear projection TV that has been awesome for HD, gaming and movies. Even my friends with plasma, DLP, LCD, etc. rave about this tv's picture quality.

Stewie
10-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a 42" plasma in my home theater. It's awesome, but I only use it for sports and movies (about 5-10 hours per week). The rest of my TV viewing is on my 32" standard TV. I am really bugged my non HD content on an HDTV, which is way more than 50% of content.

insidenation
10-19-2009, 04:37 PM
I guess LCD will be better dudes

BCD
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a 42" plasma in my home theater. It's awesome, but I only use it for sports and movies (about 5-10 hours per week). The rest of my TV viewing is on my 32" standard TV. I am really bugged my non HD content on an HDTV, which is way more than 50% of content.Seriously? What the hell do you watch? 90% of what I watch is HD. If its network programming(NBC-CBS-ABC-FOX)its 100% HD.

jidar
10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
LCD is the best answer usually.

Plasma is actually a bit cheaper when you get to sizes over 50 inches, but LCDs perform better in bad light situations and Plasmas are not friendly with still images (video games or program guides)

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I have a 60" Sony SXRD rear projection TV that has been awesome for HD, gaming and movies. Even my friends with plasma, DLP, LCD, etc. rave about this tv's picture quality.

It's a shame that no one really makes LCoS TVs any more.

Best place to go for TV information: avsforum.net

Worst place to go: Stewie

BCD
10-19-2009, 05:52 PM
LCD is the best answer usually.

Plasma is actually a bit cheaper when you get to sizes over 50 inches, but LCDs perform better in bad light situations and Plasmas are not friendly with still images (video games or program guides)Anyone who owns a plasma and leaves it on deserves their shit to get image burn in. Mine is never on continuously for more than 6 hrs.

Joe Seahawk
10-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I have a 50" Panasonic 800U plasma and a sony LCOS SXRD.

The LCOS had to have the light engine replaced (warranty) but it really does have an outstanding picture, almost as good as the 800U.

I'm pretty happy with both actually..

phillip
10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I asked the same thing here a couple months ago and most people said to go plasma. I got a 50" LG plasma. It was way cheaper than LCD and I actually like it better than my LCD in the other room. Although, without them side-by-side, it's honestly difficult to tell which has the better picture.

I think they're both great so I'd go with whatever you can get a deal on.

movinbones
10-19-2009, 06:42 PM
FWIW, I just bought a 50" LG from Costco for $749 and the picture is amazing. I have a HD direcTV receiver connected with an HDMI cable.

Manila-Chief
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Okay ... a disclaimer ... I do not own a big screen set ... yet, so I can't speak from experience.

Been researching lately. A couple or 3 years ago I deleted plasma off my list because; (1) I was concerned about glare (we don't have a lot of light but I was concerned; (2) "burn-in" issues .. we (not necessarily watching) have the TV turned on most of the day; (3) the life of the set (since we leave it on most of the day). Many of Panasonic's 2009 models have (1) an anti-glare filter; (3) the set has been rated at 100,000 hours (about the same as a CRT set); and (2) a setting you can choose that will gradually move the picture so that it does not "burn-in." Plus, in case there is a "burn-in," there is a setting you can do that clears it up.

I've settled on a Panasonic TC-50G10 .... (as you can see it's 50" & it is a plasma). I believe they list it at $1599.99. Sears has them on sale (online) for $1299.99. Plus, a box popped up on their site that said until 10/24 you can take an instant 10% off or 24 months interest free using a Sears charge card. If my math is correct that's only $1169.99 for it.

Anyone who owns a plasma and leaves it on deserves their shit to get image burn in. Mine is never on continuously for more than 6 hrs.

Reason I'm going with a Panasonic.

Isnt there an anti glare coating for plasmas?

Yep, Panasonic has it ... maybe others.

Now, if Sears would only do both the 10% off and 24 months to pay ... I'd jump right on it.

UteChief
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm very happy with my Sony XBR9. I'd check out the Samsung b8500 which has a backlit led.

BryanBusby
10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Didn't somebody start a thread bitching about a Vizio a few days ago?

Sorry, that's all I got.

How big does a tv have to be to qualify as a big screen?

Congrats, your only reply has come from a guy who knows even less than you.

Sup. My Vizio is being a pain and looking on google others have had my same problem, but I think you will deal with that with any manufacturer. To give them credit, I actually spoke with a CSR today that spoke perfect English and was a professional. That is a rarity now.

My advice for TV shopping would be look up reviews like crazy, shop around for the best price and get a solid extended warranty.

Groves
10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Looks like I need to go LCD and not Plasma.

Dayze
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM

I have the 50"; same tv etc.

my in-laws comment regularly that they think the picture is as good or better (at times) than their Plasma.

DMAC
10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Looks like I need to go LCD and not Plasma.Finally went HD last night...

I was comparing LCD and Plasma also. I was looking at a 50" Samsung Plasma 720p and a 46" Samsung LCD 1080p.

The glare on the 50" at the store was just horrible. Went with the LCD, paid a couple hundy more for it. But dude...its freakin bad ass. :D

Swanman
10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
I am big into using a projector and a screen, as you are sitting 12 feet from the screen. However, the light in your room could be a problem. If you can block it out, take a look at using a projector. It's not nearly as expensive as it used to be. I have a 1080P lcd projector and a 106" screen in my basement that cost around $4,500 over a year ago, probably cheaper now.

But if projection isn't an option for you take a look at DLP if you are not fixated on hanging the tv on the wall. You can get a great deal on a large DLP, the only drawback being they are deeper in build than lcd's or plasmas (but not more than around 6 inches deep). DLPs are great in rooms with light as they tend to be brighter. Just took a look and you can get a 60" 1080P Mitsubishi DLP for just over $1,000 at Fry's. Extremely good bang for your buck.

cookster50
10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I've settled on a Panasonic TC-50G10 .... (as you can see it's 50" & it is a plasma). I believe they list it at $1599.99. Sears has them on sale (online) for $1299.99. Plus, a box popped up on their site that said until 10/24 you can take an instant 10% off or 24 months interest free using a Sears charge card. If my math is correct that's only $1169.99 for it.

Combine that with cashback from Bing.com Don't know what the current sears cashback is, but saw it at 16% a while back.

El Jefe
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I am big into using a projector and a screen, as you are sitting 12 feet from the screen. However, the light in your room could be a problem. If you can block it out, take a look at using a projector. It's not nearly as expensive as it used to be. I have a 1080P lcd projector and a 106" screen in my basement that cost around $4,500 over a year ago, probably cheaper now.

But if projection isn't an option for you take a look at DLP if you are not fixated on hanging the tv on the wall. You can get a great deal on a large DLP, the only drawback being they are deeper in build than lcd's or plasmas (but not more than around 6 inches deep). DLPs are great in rooms with light as they tend to be brighter. Just took a look and you can get a 60" 1080P Mitsubishi DLP for just over $1,000 at Fry's. Extremely good bang for your buck.

Gee whiz Bill Gates.

phillip
10-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Combine that with cashback from Bing.com Don't know what the current sears cashback is, but saw it at 16% a while back.

Yup. With Bing cashback and a $75 LG gas card, my 50" LG plasma from Sears came out to $530. I heard about the deal here on CP.

El Jefe
10-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Yup. With Bing cashback and a $75 LG gas card, my 50" LG plasma from Sears came out to $530. I heard about the deal here on CP.

Nice :thumb:

Groves
12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Just to bring things full circle.

We pulled the trigger on a Vizio this week. Sam's Club had an older 47inch 60Hz model, but offered both a full year from Vizio and 2 more from Sam's as well.

$423

This is why I rarely have the latest and greatest. I'd rather wait a year and chop $1000 off the price.

RJ
12-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Just to bring things full circle.

We pulled the trigger on a Vizio this week. Sam's Club had an older 47inch 60Hz model, but offered both a full year from Vizio and 2 more from Sam's as well.

$423

This is why I rarely have the latest and greatest. I'd rather wait a year and chop $1000 off the price.

Sounds like a great deal. I think (hope) Vizio is a decent brand, I'm giving a 37" model to my mom and step dad for Christmas.