PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some Gretz 10-21

LaChapelle
10-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Practice Report 10/21 UPDATED 4:15pm

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs got back to work Wednesday morning, showing no hangover from their first victory of the season.

“I thought today was a good tempo and had a good feel to it, from meeting and through practice,” said head coach Todd Haley. “It seemed like everybody was concentrating and ready to get to work.”

Working outside, where a few sprinkles were falling 45 minutes into the session, Haley had 51 of 53 active roster players taking part. Missing were RG Mike Goff and LT Branden Albert. Goff was absent with permission, handling some personal matters according to Haley. He’s expected back on Thursday

Albert missed last Sunday’s victory over Washington because of a left ankle injury. He was in the rehab area and did some light jogging along with walking laps. Albert is no longer wearing a boot on the left foot. “He’s night and day from where he was,” said Haley. “I’m hopeful from the progress he’s shown from when he had the injury until now, he’s got a chance.”

Working with the No. 1 defense was Jon McGraw at free safety, stepping into Jarrad Page’s spot. Haley acknowledged the change, but said the position would be evaluated on a daily basis.

Taking part in practice was RB Kolby Smith. He’s been on the Physically-Unable-To-Perform List since the start of training camp, recovering from the knee injury he suffered back on November 2, 2008 against Tampa Bay.

The Chiefs have a three-week window where they can evaluate Smith and then make a decision on his future for the rest of the ‘09 season.

“It was great to see him out there,” Haley said of Smith. “He showed some fresh legs. He’s worked hard. There’s going to be some rust, but he had a good first day.”

Also on the field was new NT Kenny Smith, who was wearing No. 90 in the drills. “He’s a strong guy, that’s got some experience,” said Haley. “He’s been out for a little bit, but it looked like he was moving around pretty good today.”

New practice-squad DT Marlon Favorite was wearing No. 93.

There had been stories in the last 48 hours that the Chiefs had re-signed OLB Justin Rogers. But he’s not on the team’s 53-man roster or their practice squad. Right now, there’s no spot for him with either group.
Chiefs Add Nose Tackle

October 21, 2009 - Bob Gretz | Comments (7)

There’s one thing we can say for sure about G.M. Scott Pioli – if a player has spent any time with the New England Patriots in this decade there’s a chance he’ll be wearing a Chiefs uniform by the close of business in 2009.

With a need at nose tackle after trading Tank Tyler to Carolina, on Wednesday morning the Chiefs announced the signing of Kenny Smith.

No not the retired basketball player from North Carolina. This Kenny Smith is the 32-year old semi-retired football player out of Mississippi and the University of Alabama. Smith has not played in an NFL regular season game since the 2003 season. That’s six years off the field. Smith was with the New Orleans Saints at the time, where he was a third-round draft selection in the 2001 NFL Draft.

Smith spent 2001-20004 with New Orleans. He signed as an unrestricted free agent with Oakland in 2005, but ended up on the injured-reserve list and was released in November of that year. The 2006 season was blank for Smith, who sat out the year.

In 2007, he signed with Tampa Bay in March, but was released in April. Smith then signed with New England in June, and was released in August. He re-signed with the Patriots before the 2008 season, but ended up on injured-reserve again. The Pats released him in June ‘09.

Smith is 6-4, 303 pounds with 30 games of NFL experience.

Dicky McElephant
10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
The status of Goff is unknown; he was not on the feld or in the rehab area. We will update after practice.

Hopefully this means that he's been cut. We could only be so lucky.

LaChapelle
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
ROFL

rockymtnchief
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Missing were RG Mike Goff and LT Branden Albert. The status of Goff is unknown; he was not on the feld or in the rehab area. We will update after practice.
Please tell me Goff decided to retire!

tomahawk kid
10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Please tell me Goff decided to retire!

I would agree, but his potential replacement concerns me even more.

If Smith has to start @ LT, who are you starting @ RG?

rockymtnchief
10-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Ndukwe, Alleman, or Phyllis Diller. Anything is an upgrade.

DaWolf
10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Then again, if there is at least one game you'd expect Goff to be up for, it would be this game...

the Talking Can
10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
wouldn't it be great if goff died

tomahawk kid
10-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Rep for the Phyllis Diller reference.

Buehler445
10-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Even Harris from the PS.

milkman
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Goff was excused from practice cause Pioli needed some stress relief.

That sucking sound you heard was not from the practice field.

Dicky McElephant
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Sign Shawn Murphy.....RG who just got cut by the Dolphins.

dtrain
10-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Indukwe. Someone on here said when he started last year for the Dolphins at RG he didn't give up a sack.

milkman
10-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Indukwe. Someone on here said when he started last year for the Dolphins at RG he didn't give up a sack.

He gave up one sack and was called for 4 false starts and 2 holds.

Mr. Laz
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM

If Smith has to start @ LT, who are you starting @ RG?Alleman > Goff

LaChapelle
10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
There had been stories in the last 48 hours that the Chiefs had re-signed OLB Justin Rogers. But he’s not on the team’s 53-man roster or their practice squad. Right now, there’s no spot for him with either group.

Hog Farmer
10-21-2009, 05:24 PM
He gave up one sack and was called for 4 false starts and 2 holds.

And he was only in for 4 plays that year.

Easy 6
10-21-2009, 06:35 PM
My Haley Brown Shirt definitely has a Greasy Goof stain on it that needs scrubbed out ASAP, before it sets in....why he's still starting is a mystery beyond me.

Kenny Smith? search high, look low & dig under every rock...Kenny 'Kold' Smiff!1!

booger
10-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Sign Shawn Murphy.....RG who just got cut by the Dolphins.

claimed by the bucs who have waiver priority.

So we could have made a claim but they were givin his rights.

milkman
10-21-2009, 08:02 PM
claimed by the bucs who have waiver priority.

So we could have made a claim but they were givin his rights.

Aren't the waiver claims still ordered by how you finished last season?

booger
10-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Aren't the waiver claims still ordered by how you finished last season?

could be but thought that only lasted through the first 4, 5, or 6th wk of the season then current records took over.

booger
10-21-2009, 08:37 PM
either way it's probably a good thing we didn't get Murphy. He was PS eligable even though he was on their active roster he hasn't played a game in the 2 years he has been in the league. So if we did add him to the ps they might have dropped Harris which would have been a stupid move.

Cutting Goof or Ndukwe, promoting Harris to the 53, and adding Murphy to the PS would have been ideal.