PDA

View Full Version : Football What makes the Broncos "rise" most disgusting...

KCtotheSB
10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
...is that they've seemingly fixed a god awful defense (at least thus far) in one offseason. It's taken Kansas City 1..2......4....7....(shit, I can't count that high...) number of offseasons to still field what some might say is slightly better than shit on their best days.

That Denver defense was absolutely putrid last season and now they're "top o' the world". Meanwhile, we've had an inept driver for the past umpteenth numbers of seasons who couldn't get the car out of neutral and when he did....he backed up into the car behind him.

Piss on Carl. Piss on Gunther. Piss on the defense. I got enough piss for everyone involved.

Mr. Laz
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
1st - they had good linebackers and then switched to a LB dominated system. smart

1(a) - We had shitty linebackers and switch to a LB dominated system. ugh

2nd - they have decent overall talent to begin with

3rd - they hire Nolan to run the defense ... Nolan > Pendergast

Dicky McElephant
10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
That's what happens when you actually have a DE that can transition to a 3-4 OLB. Hali is playing ehhh right now....but he's no Dumervil. Plus they hired a defensive coordinator who knew what the fuck he was doing.

DaWolf
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
...is that they've seemingly fixed a god awful defense (at least thus far) in one offseason. It's taken Kansas City 1..2......4....7....(shit, I can't count that high...) number of offseasons to still field what some might say is slightly better than shit on their best days.

That Denver defense was absolutely putrid last season and now they're "top o' the world". Meanwhile, we've had an inept driver for the past umpteenth numbers of seasons who couldn't get the car out of neutral and when he did....he backed up into the car behind him.

Piss on Carl. Piss on Gunther. Piss on the defense. I got enough piss for everyone involved.

The bright side is that they fixed it in one offseason, so it's not impossible for us to do the same thing next offseason. I think one thing that hurt us was that our preferred DC (Crennel) did not take the job and pickings were slim. Denver got an excellent defensive mind in Nolan, and it shows.

I'm not at all sold on Pendergast. If our defense doesn't significantly rise as the season goes on, I really hope we get someone else to run the D in the offseason. I'd be on the Wade Phillips bandwagon, as he was the guy who went to San Diego and helped turn that D around overnight earlier this decade, and they basically did it at that time too by signing cheap free agents and getting other guys to play up to their abilities...

Gonzo
10-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Well....Piss

wild1
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
They had about twice as much talent on defense

Sure-Oz
10-21-2009, 01:07 PM
not even a fair comparison, they have way more talent then us at every position they werent a 2 win team last year

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Like who DJ Williams?!?!? Piss on him, hes fuckin garbage.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Apparently they can make vonnie holliday decent

milkman
10-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Apparently they can make vonnie holliday decent

Everyone but the Chiefs were able to make Holliday decent.

shitgoose
10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
The have very good leadership with Bailey and Dawkins. I think Dawkins has made a huge impact for them.

morphius
10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I also have a feeling that our new staff had no faith at all that Herm could coach up his players, so they felt they needed to really look and see what they had in person.

doomy3
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I think what makes it disgusting is that they essentially did many of the same things we did last offseason, it just appears they did them better-at least in the short term.

They are using the same "right 53 players" we are, only they have gotten results. Trade their Franchise QB, alienate their best playmaker (Marshall), and sign a bunch of over-the-hill vets. Difference is their over-the-hill vets are actually contributing while ours are sucking.

Mile High Mania
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM

8 of the 11 starters on defense in 2009... were not starters on defense with Denver in 2008.

KCUnited
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
They are 6-0 with Orton.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
wonder what the bears record would be with orton

cutler=bust!!11

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
They are 6-0 with Orton.

amazing what an Oline can do for you.

kregger
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
The have very good leadership with Bailey and Dawkins. I think Dawkins has made a huge impact for them.

This is the No.1 reason in my opinion

KCUnited
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
And receivers that can get open, catch, get yards after the catch, block, and return kicks worth a damn.

Skip Towne
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Many offensive minded HC's don't know enough about defense to realize his defensive coaches suck.

DaWolf
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM

People shouldn't underestimate what having a healthy Bailey can do for a D, especially one that likes to blitz. He's a hall of fame shutdown corner out there...

Redrum_69
10-21-2009, 01:45 PM
First you all bitch and moan for Peterson to get shitcanned

then Herm to get fired or replaced....

A year ago you all were bitching nonstop...about the team, the QB, the coaches, the GM

Did you expect Haley/Pioli to come right in and everything would be great? Superbowl their first season?

You armchair quarterbacks and tailgating wannabe's should be a little more patient.

I mean look at what they had to work with...leftover mistakes by Peterson/Edwards/Vermeil/Cunningham/Schottenheimer

Look how long you gave Edwards as a coach....

milkman
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM

True.

The New Orleans Saints O-Line is playing as well as any in the league.
They are doing it with a 5th round LT, a 5th round LG, a 5th round C, signed as an UFA in his second year, a 4th round RG, andsecond round RT.

They absolutely dominated the Giants last Sunday.

Buehler445
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I think most of it is Dumerville. I thought I heard he had 10 sacks already? WTF?

It needs to be said again. FUCK the Donko bitches.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
And receivers that can get open, catch, get yards after the catch, block, and return kicks worth a damn.

All starts with the Oline. There are too many things that have to go right for an offense to be successful, but it all starts with the Oline.

Our Wr's would be able to get open if they had more than 2 sec to run their routes.

Redrum_69
10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
When the team plays as a team, they will win as a team.

and one last thing....

Most of you knew and even stated on here that the team would maybe win 1-3 games.

The Chiefs are well on their way to do that. I bet they may even win 4 games.

KCUnited
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
All starts with the Oline. There are too many things that have to go right for an offense to be successful, but it all starts with the Oline.

Our Wr's would be able to get open if they had more than 2 sec to run their routes.
I'm not trying to down play the importance of the OLine, but Green Bay is 10th in passing and Rogers is 9th in passing and their OLine is garbage. Put Marshall and Royal on KC and our offensive production goes up.

Skip Towne
10-21-2009, 01:52 PM

A year ago you all were bitching nonstop...about the team, the QB, the coaches, the GM

Did you expect Haley/Pioli to come right in and everything would be great? Superbowl their first season?

You armchair quarterbacks and tailgating wannabe's should be a little more patient.

I mean look at what they had to work with...leftover mistakes by Peterson/Edwards/Vermeil/Cunningham/Schottenheimer

Be patient my ass, I've been patient for forty years.

CoMoChief
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm not trying to down play the importance of the OLine, but Green Bay is 10th in passing and Rogers is 9th in passing and their OLine is garbage. Put Marshall and Royal on KC and our offensive production goes up.

A lot of that had to do with GB injuries and the fact that Jared Allen tee'd off on them that one game.

Buehler445
10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

GBs line is bad. But it's not nearly on the level of ours.

You do have a point though. I think we have some servicable guys, but both GB and Dungver have WRs that get separation.
Posted via Mobile Device

doomy3
10-21-2009, 02:28 PM

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about the Denver Broncos. You know, the team that had a rookie head coach come in right away and everything is great.

OnTheWarpath58
10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Most disgusting?

How about the fact that they've made good moves, while we've made shit moves?

A friend and I were discussing Denver today. WE both readily admit that Denver had more talent to begin with, but they've added to it, while we've whiffed.

Just on the defense alone, Denver brought in 7 guys, 5 starters and 2 contributors, and they've all been excellent pick-ups.

Add Mike Nolan, and then Kyle Orton and Buckhalter on the offensive side, plus their draft picks - and they really haven't missed when it comes to talent evaluation.

Then look at what we've done, and see that we've brought in over 30 guys, and your hard pressed to find one that is out-performing the guy he replaced last year.

That's fucking disgusting.

vailpass
10-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I think most of it is Dumerville. I thought I heard he had 10 sacks already? WTF?

It needs to be said again. **** the Donko bitches.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember somebody here was strong for KC drafting Dumerville, I think it was Iowanian.

Param
10-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Denver went out and fixed their defense in 1 freaking offseason. Us Chiefs fans need to be patient, rebuild, and maybe something will happen in 3 years............

Param
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I remember somebody here was strong for KC drafting Dumerville, I think it was Iowanian.

4th round pick. Everybody had a chance at Elvis multiple times.

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
It is weird. We had garbage last year and so changing to a 3-4 was an easy decision because, in the words of McDaniels "the 4-3 wasn't really here last year."

When you suck it's easy to blow something up. I think what helped is McDaniels came in with a phillosophy on all three phases of building a team: players, coaching and training.

Players: Tough, smart and physical. He also got bigger adding some 300lb guys. We canned the soft guys who got injured a lot and got rid of the mentally soft guys. The nine new additions on defense were all cast-offs from other teams, but they are guys that fit a role and we ask them to do that role and nothing more. This breeds confidence. Also not having morons on your team helps cut down penalties and stupid football.

Coaching: He hired a really good staff who all have experience with motivating but most of all teaching. McDaniels stresses teaching good football every day in practice. He also keeps each player's role simple so there isn't much to teach. When you have a simple role it makes it easier to practice and get good at it, and you play with more confidence. We do change things up week to week, and so that's where the high football IQ of players comes in handy, but teaching and simplifying breeds confidence and growth.

Training: McDaniels ran a very physical camp and he practices in the rain, snow, sleet, hail - in his words "if we play in it, we practice in it." Shanahan was famous for running a soft camp and it showed as our team was finesse these last years. McDaniels also wants to take advantage of the altitude advantage and so condtioning is a top priority. After every practice the whole team runs suicides and then has an extensive cool down period. This ensures guys last all four quarters and helps at home games. It also helps limit injury. Anyone that's played football knows when you're tired you play sloppy, and sloppy or half-assed play will get you hurt.

So you have smart players that are tough and only asked to do a few very specific things each week. The coaches teach them those things clearly and the game plan is explained in exactness. Couple that with intense conditioning and you have a tough, physically fit, smart football team that plays with confidence because they know what they need to do and believe it will help them win.

Pink Paradise 2010
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
their good defense. it sucks!!!! jesus, i hate it!!!!!!

Marcellus
10-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Most disgusting?

How about the fact that they've made good moves, while we've made shit moves?

A friend and I were discussing Denver today. WE both readily admit that Denver had more talent to begin with, but they've added to it, while we've whiffed.

Just on the defense alone, Denver brought in 7 guys, 5 starters and 2 contributors, and they've all been excellent pick-ups.

Add Mike Nolan, and then Kyle Orton and Buckhalter on the offensive side, plus their draft picks - and they really haven't missed when it comes to talent evaluation.

Then look at what we've done, and see that we've brought in over 30 guys, and your hard pressed to find one that is out-performing the guy he replaced last year.

That's ****ing disgusting.

Patience.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5496069&postcount=290

Delano
10-21-2009, 08:11 PM

This is the No.1 reason in my opinion

Yeah, I heard Scheffler saying that when shit hits the fan, the team looks at Dawkins for leadership. Scheffler also said that kind of leadership was lacking since Al Wilson left.