PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley on the Smiths

LaChapelle
10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Features
Q&A with TODD HALEY - 10/21
Oct 21, 2009, 4:51:13 PM

TODD HALEY: Afternoon everybody. First day in preparation for a division opponent, the San Diego Chargers. San Diego is coming off a tough loss the other night but theyre a team that has a lot of weapons that creates a lot of problems in all areas: special teams, defensively, and offensively. They can hurt you in a lot of different ways and we have our work cut out for us.

Q: What do you think has been the issue with the Chargers? What has happened to them?

HALEY: Thats a question for them. As we went through practice today you can see on tape they have a vast array of weapons that you have to defend or beat. They create a lot of problems in a lot of areas especially that little punt returner.

Q: How did Kolby Smith look on his first day back?

HALEY: It was great to see him out there. Hes a guy that Im really excited to really see. Hes been working very hard. You guys probably know him a little better than I do. I know hes probably real excited to be out there. It looked like he had some fresh legs and he was working hard and there will be some rust, obviously, as far a comeback this has been for him. But I thought that was a good first day.

Q: How about Branden Albert?

HALEY: Hes night and day from what he was. Well have to evaluate today to see how he made it through. But again, Im hopeful the progress hes made from when the injury happened until now.

Q: What can you tell us about defensive tackle Kenny Smith?

HALEY: Ive watched a little bit of tape. I know the player just because hes been around a little bit and weve had to play against him some. Hes a guy we worked out two weeks ago and the situation came about where we had an opening and thats why we do some of those workouts even when we dont necessarily have a spot.

Hes a strong guy whos got some experience. Ill have to watch the tape today. I didnt get to watch a whole bunch. But it looked like he was pretty excited. Hes been out for a little bit and had to get himself healthy. But it looked like he was moving around pretty good today.

Q: Did everyone seem to be focused and as energized as you would have hoped after a victory?

HALEY: I thought today was a good tempo; it had a good feel to it from the meetings through practice. I thought it seemed like everybody was concentrating and getting to work.

Q: Cleveland has 12 players that are sick with the flu and not allowed to come to practice. What are you doing to monitor this flu epidemic? Whats your philosophy?

HALEY: The league has definitely been in touch with our doctors and our trainers and us. Weve gotten all the memos and its something theyre really trying to stay ahead of and, again, the policy that were following is when guys have something keep them out of the building or as far away from everybody as possible.

But again, thats through the league and the guidelines that theyve set through our doctors. Its something weve had a bunch of discussions on and youve got to ready for it because you dont know. Like Cleveland, when it hits it hits and youve got to be prepared. Weve got a plan in place that if something were to happen we have to ready to go.

Q: Any guys showing any symptoms of any kind?

HALEY: Weve had normal flu-like symptoms where weve sent guys home, but no different than what youre used to this time of year.

Q: Do you see any drop off or slippage in LaDainian Tomlinson?

HALEY: I have seen none. Hes a player that scares the heck out of me.

Q: Are you going to stick with McGraw at safety this week?

HALEY: He was in there today and well see again. Were going to stay with the philosophy of staying with the guys that give us the best chance to win. Well see how practice looked today and talk a little bit tonight and evaluate.

Q: What are your thoughts on Philip Rivers?

HALEY: The most obvious characteristic I see in him is hes competitive. Hes into the game and fighting to win every snap and I like that quality in a quarterback. Hes big, got a quick release, got a bunch of weapons and hes a dangerous player to face and hes obviously shown that over the last handful of years.

Q: How quickly will Smith see action at defensive tackle?

HALEY: We dont have a lot of noses (tackles) on the roster, so hes going to be expected to get into it pretty fast. Weve been taking six linemen to the game and thats the number were at right now. Whether its him or a practice squad guy or what, weve got to have enough guys at the game to compete.

Q: He didnt seem to have the look of a classic nose tackle.

HALEY: Hes stout, a strong guy. You shake his hand and hes got bear mitts. He caught my pinkie quick. Hell crush you. Hes a strong guy and Im looking forward to watching the tape and see what everybody thought about him after one day. It is just one day.

Q: Correct me if Im wrong, but its been a while since hes seen real action?

HALEY: He had an injury and has rehabbed and its been a long way back. But hes been working hard and hes in shape. Again, we feel like he has a chance to contribute.

Q: Where was Goff today?

HALEY: Goff has some personal issues going on, but hes alright.

Jack
10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
1-6. . .

2bikemike
10-21-2009, 08:25 PM
So we Have Kenney Smith and Kolby Smith. What name do they put on the back of the Jerseys? Typically if there are 2 players with the same last name they put their first initial. Can't have 2 K. Smiths running around.

milkman
10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
So we Have Kenney Smith and Kolby Smith. What name do they put on the back of the Jerseys? Typically if there are 2 players with the same last name they put their first initial. Can't have 2 K. Smiths running around.

They add the second letter of the first name.

So, you have Ke. Smith and Ko. Smith.

JD10367
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I never cared for "Girlfriend in a Coma", but "How Soon Is Now?" is one of the best one-note riff songs ever, especially for that era of music. Kills me that to many girls it's only known as "the 'Charmed' theme"...

COchief
10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I never cared for "Girlfriend in a Coma", but "How Soon Is Now?" is one of the best one-note riff songs ever, especially for that era of music. Kills me that to many girls it's only known as "the 'Charmed' theme"...

Dude, its puff puff pass, not puff puff puff puff puff puff...

Share a little will ya?

Easy 6
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
KENNY 'KOLD' SMIFF WILL CRUSH YOU!1!

Discuss Thrower
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM

I seem to recall a time when DJ and LJ both were just simply 'Johnson'. Or at least just DJ. I'd guess since Kolby is on O and Kenny is on D there won't be a first inu
initial.

King_Chief_Fan
10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Hes stout, a strong guy. You shake his hand and hes got bear mitts. He caught my pinkie quick. Hell crush you. Hes a strong guy and Im looking forward to watching the tape and see what everybody thought about him after one day. It is just one day.

I see great things coming with this coaching staff:
Crummie with the hand slap test
Haley with the handshake crush test

jAZ
10-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Since you don't even really need to name on the back at all, I don't think it's at all a problem to have 10 different "Smith"(s) running around out there. That's why we have numbers.

What's far, far, far, far worse IMO is anything beyond first initial. And when the put both full names on there, it's looks unacceptably stupid.