PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notebook: Derrick Johnson expresses frustration to Haley

Tribal Warfare
10-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Chiefs notebook: Derrick Johnson expresses frustration to Haley (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1522563.html)

Johnson confronts Haley about benching

Linebacker Derrick Johnson said Wednesday that he spoke with coach Todd Haley recently about being demoted, expressing his frustration with losing his starting job without reasons.

Johnson said his conversation with Haley was private, but he added that he remained discouraged by being a backup for the first time in his life. Johnson used his strongest words yet about the ordeal, which he said he hoped would improve soon.

“I should be out there playing,” Johnson said. “I should be out there starting. I should be out there helping this team win. Coach knows I want to play. He knows I disagree with not playing.”

Johnson was rumored to be in trade discussions the last several weeks, before Tuesday afternoon’s deadline. He said he heard the rumors, and so did the friends who texted Johnson and asked about his status. Johnson said he didn’t expect to leave Kansas City, but he avoided televised sports coverage Tuesday anyway.

“At the end of the day,” he said, “I knew I was going to be a Chief.”

Johnson said two weeks ago that he hadn’t planned to speak with Haley about his benching. Haley has been cryptic about Johnson’s status, sometimes saying he was benched because of nagging groin and hamstring injuries, and other times admitting that Johnson hadn’t delivered the same effort or results as starter Demorrio Williams.

Chiefs acquire defensive tackles

Kansas City signed free-agent defensive lineman Kenny Smith to the team’s 53-man roster and added Marlon Favorite to its practice squad.

Both players participated in Wednesday’s practice. Smith is expected to be the team’s backup nose tackle, after the Chiefs traded Tank Tyler on Monday to the Carolina Panthers for a fifth-round pick in the 2010 draft.

Smith hasn’t played in an NFL game since 2003. He has spent parts of three seasons since on injured reserve and the 2006 season out of the league. The 32-year-old, a third-round pick in 2001, said he was relearning how to be a full-time NFL player.

Team’s window opens to evaluate Smith

Running back Kolby Smith was allowed Wednesday to begin a three-week window in which the Chiefs can judge whether he’s healthy enough to be placed on the active roster.

Smith missed most of the 2008 season because of torn knee ligaments, and he has spent the time since working on his rehab. Smith had been on the physically unable to perform list since the regular season began.

Teams receive a roster exception to gauge players’ progress. The Chiefs can observe Smith for three weeks before deciding whether to activate him to the 53-man roster, place him on injured reserve or release him.

Injury report

Chiefs right guard Mike Goff missed Wednesday’s practice because of a noninjury-related personal matter. Haley said Goff’s absence was excused. Left tackle Branden Albert (ankle) was a limited participant, and he circled the field without a walking boot. Left guard Brian Waters (ankle) also was a limited participant. Free safety Jarrad Page (shoulder) returned to full participation after missing last week’s workouts and the game at Washington.

Bane
10-22-2009, 12:01 AM
DJ = :crybaby:

CaliforniaChief
10-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm glad he's expressing his feelings. Honestly I was sort of concerned hearing that he was "cool" or "just doing his job" and not upset about not starting. How it goes from here is beyond me, though.

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I dont agree with the situation either, but maybe talking with the coach will allow DJ a few more snaps to prove Todd wrong.

So, will this make DJ want to play with a little more fire now? Our will he do the opposite and not care again.

TrickyNicky
10-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Chiefs right guard Mike Goff missed Wednesday’s practice because of a noninjury-related personal matter. Haley said Goff’s absence was excused.

As much as we crap on this guys play, I hope nothing too serious has happened in his personal life.

Count Alex's Losses
10-22-2009, 12:08 AM
This was Haley's response to DJ's whining:

http://i35.tinypic.com/23sarva.jpg

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I dont agree with the situation either, but maybe talking with the coach will allow DJ a few more snaps to prove Todd wrong.

So, will this make DJ want to play with a little more fire now? Our will he do the opposite and not care again.

This myth that Derrick Johnson doesn't care is out of control.

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:14 AM
This myth that Derrick Johnson doesn't care is out of control.

Well didnt he say he didnt care and was OK with being a back-up earlier in the season? I read an article on it somewhere.

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Well didnt he say he didnt care and was OK with being a back-up earlier in the season? I read an article on it somewhere.

No, he never said that.

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
No, he never said that.

So what was it then? I know I saw something about him not caring. I know the article wasnt him not caring about his cat Jack dying.

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:22 AM
So what was it then? I know I saw something about him not caring. I know the article wasnt him not caring about his cat Jack dying.

You can read about it here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213645&highlight=derrick+johnson

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:30 AM
You can read about it here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213645&highlight=derrick+johnson

That sounds like a guy who didnt care if you ask me.

The steps he took to actually talking with Haley was a good thing. That, shows that he cares now....

FWIW, that wasnt the article or post I was talking about though.

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:33 AM
That sounds like a guy who didnt care if you ask me.

The steps he took to actually talking with Haley was a good thing. That, shows that he cares now....

FWIW, that wasnt the article or post I was talking about though.

I'm sorry, but this shit kills me. DJ has always "cared."

Count Alex's Losses
10-22-2009, 12:34 AM

He cares enough on Sunday. He doesn't care enough to be prepared to the best of his ability on Sunday.

CoMoChief
10-22-2009, 12:35 AM
No reason to have the most talented LB on the bench.

Thats just stupid.

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:36 AM

So if another guy was promoted in your industry ahead of you. And you were placed at a lower level job, wouldnt you show a little more emotion to get your job back? Especially if you knew you were better at your job than this other guy? Guys who care dont wait until week 6 to open their mouths and demand their job back.

Just Passin' By
10-22-2009, 12:38 AM

Thats just stupid.

There are good reasons to have the most talented LB on the bench. Most of them involve that LB not being able to apply that talent properly.

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:40 AM
There are good reasons to have the most talented LB on the bench. Most of them involve that LB not being able to apply that talent properly.

I dont think Derrick has the mental aspect of playing for Todd Haley. These other guys obviously want to play for Todd, where I think Derrick got lazy and complacent in Edwards lap.

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:42 AM
So if another guy was promoted in your industry ahead of you. And you were placed at a lower level job, wouldnt you show a little more emotion to get your job back? Especially if you knew you were better at your job than this other guy? Guys who care dont wait until week 6 to open their mouths and demand their job back.

Yeah, I'm sure if he would have just demanded his job back to Haley everything would be much better for him now. Actually, it probably would be better as they would have probably traded him to someone like the Eagles and he would be playing and we may have gotten some value out of him instead of letting him rot on the bench and then walk out at the end of the season for nothing.

What part of that makes sense to you?

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:44 AM
I dont think Derrick has the mental aspect of playing for Todd Haley. These other guys obviously want to play for Todd, where I think Derrick got lazy and complacent in Edwards lap.

Then they should have traded him.

If this is anything else other than just proving a point, then they should have just gone ahead and traded him and gotten something for him.

Will Witherspoon was traded to the Eagles from the Rams for a 5th AND a rookie WR that showed promise in the preseason. You don't think we could have gotten similar value for Johnson?

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Then they should have traded him.

If this is anything else other than just proving a point, then they should have just gone ahead and traded him and gotten something for him.

Will Witherspoon was traded to the Eagles from the Rams for a 5th AND a rookie WR that showed promise in the preseason. You don't think we could have gotten similar value for Johnson?

Deals arent all this easy. A lot of work goes into finding the right deal and team to make a trade with. Derrick would have been traded, if the right deal had come up. Well the right deal didnt come up, so we keep him now. Its not nearly as easy as it sounds.

doomy3
10-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Deals arent all this easy. A lot of work goes into finding the right deal and team to make a trade with. Derrick would have been traded, if the right deal had come up. Well the right deal didnt come up, so we keep him now. Its not nearly as easy as it sounds.

LOL, alright. Or we just wanted to get more out of him and teams around the league called our bluff because we have done a terrible job to pretend to still want him. I will pretty much guarantee there was at least one team that offered a 5th for him given the LB problems of teams like the Eagles, Bears, Bills, etc.

Doesn't matter now anyway. I just wish we would play the guy instead of wasting him by playing guys like Mays and Williams.

Tribal Warfare
10-22-2009, 12:55 AM

DJ has always had that stigma of being lazy and no work ethic to hone his craft like the great ones do.

splatbass
10-22-2009, 01:17 AM

Thats just stupid.

All he has to do is work hard and play up to his abilities and he will be the starter again. If he isn't giving his all he should be on the bench.

KCrockaholic
10-22-2009, 01:27 AM
DJ has always had that stigma of being lazy and no work ethic to hone his craft like the great ones do.

On a lazy note, DJ had always been pretty pudgy for a linebacker. Not like Gary Brackett. But for weighing 250, he could really slim down. I guess I havent seen his weight since Todd took over, but a year ago I saw him with his shirt off, and it didnt look like an NFL body.

Saccopoo
10-22-2009, 01:45 AM
On a lazy note, DJ had always been pretty pudgy for a linebacker. Not like Gary Brackett. But for weighing 250, he could really slim down. I guess I havent seen his weight since Todd took over, but a year ago I saw him with his shirt off, and it didnt look like an NFL body.

And that's the frustrating thing for the Chiefs FO at this point. The dude has all the athletic ability in the world, especially at his size, and could be so much more if he put the effort in. He makes plays that other LB's on the Chiefs can't. He hits and tackles with authority. You notice his tackles. When he makes them.

He's just one of those people that have gotten by by just being naturally gifted and not having to work at it. He could be truly special if the effort was there and I'm sure that's what is most infuriating to a guy like Haley.

It sounds like DJ is getting it, and wants to start. Maybe the effort will come and it won't end up being a waste for the Chiefs and himself. If he comes to play on Sunday and plays to his potential, the Chiefs get a lot better on defense.

Blick
10-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm in between on DJ. He has a lot of athletic ability sure, but he's not a physical player by any means, and that hurts him at LB because you have to be a badass to play that position. He's too much of a finesse player.

But, as much as I dislike DJ as a LB, I haven't seen Williams make any plays in his absence. I guess Haley is satisfied with somebody who is "solid" over someone who is capable of making big plays but who also gives up big plays due to lack of heart/desire/physical toughness, whatever you want to say.

TheGuardian
10-22-2009, 06:33 AM

Thats just stupid.

When did he become the Chiefs most talented linebacker? I've asked this many times and what it is based on. His college playing days? His 40 time? A talented guy makes plays CONSISTENTLY. He doesn't lose focus, he isn't a soft player, he's a guy you can always depend on to do his job. A talented guy is not a guy that can run real fast but doesn't do his job to help the team.

InChiefsHell
10-22-2009, 07:16 AM
On a completely non-related to DJ note:

Smith hasn’t played in an NFL game since 2003. He has spent parts of three seasons since on injured reserve and the 2006 season out of the league. The 32-year-old, a third-round pick in 2001, said he was relearning how to be a full-time NFL player.

What...the...fuck?? This guy will help us...how?

InChiefsHell
10-22-2009, 07:20 AM
DJ's not the most talented linebacker on the Chiefs roster...but he HAD a ton of upside and potential that people still want to give him credit for. After 4 seasons, he is what he is...a decent linebacker. Could he be more? Was it coaching that caused him to flash and then smolder? I don't know, but I'm willing to give Haley the benefit of the doubt.

If DJ were lighting it up in practice, he'd earn that starting spot. Maybe talking to Haley was a good move for him. Hell, I'd love it if he turned out to be a great player for us, so I'm rooting for him. But, if all I have to go off of is history, I'd say he's had plenty of time to make a mark and he just hasn't done it...

LaChapelle
10-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Why does he step up and want know why he isn't starting after a win? He didn't care if he started if they were losing?

jAZ
10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't see how in the world DJ expected that wilting like a flower was going to cause TH to see the light and just being starting him again.

I don't know the Coach at all, but even I can tell he wants people to find that fire and drive to compete for your job.

He should have talked to the coach weeks ago if this was an issue.

jAZ
10-22-2009, 08:55 AM

What...the...****?? This guy will help us...how?

He's had time to fully recover by now?

splatbass
10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I guess Haley is satisfied with somebody who is "solid" over someone who is capable of making big plays but who also gives up big plays due to lack of heart/desire/physical toughness, whatever you want to say.

I think Haley wants everyone to play up to their abilities, and if they don't they don't play. If that means that a less talented player that works and plays hard starts over a more talented player that is lazy that is what he will do. He is trying to set a tone for this team for the future. Rewarding laziness isn't the way he wants to do it. IMO.

wild1
10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
If he had the right attitude, he would have went to Haley and said, I know you aren't happy with my performance, I'm not satisfied with it either. What do I have to do to get back in the lineup, what am I not doing that I have to do. etc. Don't just go there expecting to be promoted because you're you.

Mr. Laz
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm glad he's expressing his feelings. Honestly I was sort of concerned hearing that he was "cool" or "just doing his job" and not upset about not starting. How it goes from here is beyond me, though.
this

58kcfan89
10-22-2009, 11:35 AM

What...the...****?? This guy will help us...how?

22 guys off the street?

RustShack
10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe this is what Haley has been waiting for. I wouldn't be shocked to see DJ get a lot of playing time now.

bevischief
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
This was Haley's response to DJ's whining:

http://i35.tinypic.com/23sarva.jpg

ROFL