PDA

View Full Version : Money Pinging a Resume Writer, HR, Hiring Manager or anyone in the know

BigRedChief
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I work in I.T. High level "stuff". I've developed or added many a skill set during the last 5-6 years. I'm currently employed and recieve an average of 3-5 emails and 1 phone call every day from recruiters wanting to talk to me about jobs. So, this isn't I need a job thread. But, how to handle a new process in my career.

I posted my resume on ladders.com($100K or more jobs) got a free resume analysis. Of course there is a $675.00 service to fix the multiple problems in my resume. But if my resume is so bad why do I keep getting contacted about jobs and never go that long between jobs?

Question? Is this just a scam? Or is there a major difference between formatting and styles with those jobs payiny $60-75K and those over $100K? Should I pay the money or go to a cheaper resume writer?

You want to talk offline. PM me.

KC Jones
10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
I would think that the resume "fixing" is a load of crap. All the resume has to do is get you past the peon in HR and generate enough interest from the hiring manager to bring you in for a face to face.

As for the $100k+ jobs, I'd just lump it in with the best jobs are filled before they're ever posted on monster or anywhere else. I know when something comes open at my office I try to think of former colleagues who might be interested and get their resume in before it ever goes public.

Rain Man
10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
If you're getting offers, don't pay $675.

Dartgod
10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I'll fix it for $1.97

BigRedChief
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I'll fix it for $1.97You got a job now. I figured your rate was way out of my league now.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I would think that the resume "fixing" is a load of crap. All the resume has to do is get you past the peon in HR and generate enough interest from the hiring manager to bring you in for a face to face.

As for the $100k+ jobs, I'd just lump it in with the best jobs are filled before they're ever posted on monster or anywhere else. I know when something comes open at my office I try to think of former colleagues who might be interested and get their resume in before it ever goes public.
Thanks for the input.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
That's a rip off. You could find someone who could do as good of a job if not better for considerably cheaper.

Mile High Mania
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
There are a lot of people that just cannot put together a clean resume... so they need help. Sounds like you may not, so I would just ask someone you know to review and provide assistance.

I am in IT as well and have helped many with their resumes... I'd help you if you like, just let me know... I wouldn't mind reviewing it for you.

The one thing with recruiters - they may or may not be reviewing your current resume, if it's on Ladders - then a majority of them will be looking at it. And, even then - they're likely asking you to submit a copy to them.

The resume does need to be clean, to the point and without errors though... so multiple eyes is key. I know a few recruiters and there are a ton of gigs opening up.

If any of you guys are engineers - I do know that Google is hiring like crazy right now.

And, while KCJ has a point with most jobs having their internal candidates in line before opening them up online... that still shouldn't deter you. It's always great to have an internal referral, but if a recruiter truly has a relationship with that company... that's good as well.

jiveturkey
10-23-2009, 10:01 AM
I used to do IT recruiting and there are several local recruiters that would be more than happy to help you re-write it. Just show some interest in one of their jobs.

There are a ton is shit resumes out there but IT one's are pretty much all shit so you should be fine either way.

Buehler445
10-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Candidly, I know nothing about hiring 100K plus people, but I can't imagine a lot of it is based ona. Good sales pitch in the resume.

I'm not in the IT field, but I'd be happy to look over your resume and make sure the flow and agreements are all there.

PM me if you're interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm not an expert (beyond the fact that I've taught some resume writing in the past), but that figure seems insane to "fix" a resume. If that's a common going rate, I may have to get into the resume fixin' biz.

Mile High Mania
10-23-2009, 03:17 PM
He sent me his resume... I haven't had a reply yet, so hopefully he's not cursing me. Overall, there's not a lot to fix to be honest. Just some minor format tweaking... less bolding and creating consistency in how things are presented. Again, nothing major to correct as it was well written and he has a lot of things to pimp.

Good luck.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 03:26 PM
He sent me his resume... I haven't had a reply yet, so hopefully he's not cursing me. Overall, there's not a lot to fix to be honest. Just some minor format tweaking... less bolding and creating consistency in how things are presented. Again, nothing major to correct as it was well written and he has a lot of things to pimp.

Good luck.
Hey, I had to actually work this afternoon. Sometimes that make me earn my way overpaid wages. Plan on looking at it tonight. And again, thanks for offering to help.

Bwana
10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
That's a rip off. You could find someone who could do as good of a job if not better for considerably cheaper.

This

NewChief
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Good luck.

Just bill him $300 for it. He's getting a bargain!

Sure-Oz
10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
you know you're a baller when your applying on ladders.com

sedated
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
they probably figure people with "100K talent, 100K salaries" have some extra coin to throw around.

KC_Lee
10-23-2009, 04:02 PM
So I am looking for a good IT recruiter in the KC area. Anybody know of ones I can contact?

Jawshco
10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Making a resume isn't a complex task. As an HR Director, I see thousands of them, and can tell that I personally value substance over style, but it helps if I can quickly and easily find the information I'm looking for. I want to know your education history and level (but don't list your grades and transcript unless I ask for it- it's annoying), I want to known your employment history- try to describe your last job in a way that would apply to the job you're trying to get. Don't leave gaps in your employment history! It's better to list that you were in school or caring for a family member than to leave it open ended.

A lot of applicants shoot themselves in the foot with a generic or a weak job "Goal" statement. Make sure you make these specific to the company you're applying for, and do some research on what oppurtunities they offer. Some companies love a person who wants to start at a beginning level and work their way up into management, but for companies that have no promotion oppurtunities stating that as a goal could be a resume killer.

As long as you list the three big ones: education, work history, and a personal employment objective; and you do it in a well organized way without gaps in the history, then you should be fine.

My resume style pet peeves are: 1. Overused "Word Style" Templates (It makes all my workdays feel like groundhog's day), 2. Pictures or portraits, 3. Ambiguous Job descriptions, 4. Too many pages (any good resume should be no more than 2 pages long), 5. Single font pages with no spacing, and generic statements in "summary" and "goal" sections that have nothing to do with the job they're applying for.

On the other hand, I sometimes like really strange resumes or at least funny ones. They don't get an interview, but it makes my day more interesting.

Jawshco
10-23-2009, 04:56 PM
BTW- to answer your question, I don't know that it's a scam, but it defenitely sounds like a rip off to me.

On a side note, IT resumes are usually some of the slickest and most well prepared resumes I see for our company. Your competition is likely to be very strong.

Bearcat
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
A lot of applicants shoot themselves in the foot with a generic or a weak job "Goal" statement. Make sure you make these specific to the company you're applying for, and do some research on what oppurtunities they offer. Some companies love a person who wants to start at a beginning level and work their way up into management, but for companies that have no promotion oppurtunities stating that as a goal could be a resume killer.

As long as you list the three big ones: education, work history, and a personal employment objective; and you do it in a well organized way without gaps in the history, then you should be fine.

I'm know showing your GPA on your resume is debated quite a bit... my undergrad school said to not because it wasn't all that great, but if you leave it off I'm sure some people assume you're leaving it off for that reason.

Regarding the objective... I follow a few recruiters on Twitter and I've noticed there's talk about not putting an objective on your resume? They're saying your objective is to get a job, so there's no point in dressing up that statement and including it on your resume. I've always had it on there and customized certain things on my resume for each company, but now that I have more to put on my resume, I kind of agree that it's pointless for some positions. I see their point, but like you said, it's always been one of the big ones, so I'm not sure I'd actually go through with it and leave it off the next time.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
you know you're a baller when your applying on ladders.comGot there the old fashioned way, Worked my ass off to get there. Took on many projects, learned new technologies, got myself some of the hottest technical certifications, left comfy jobs to take a risk on another job with different skill sets to gain the experience in those areas. Made sure I had solid refrences before I left those places.

Simplex3
10-23-2009, 06:44 PM
So I am looking for a good IT recruiter in the KC area. Anybody know of ones I can contact?

You don't want one, you want a few. They're working for you, not the other way around. I've had good luck with Advantage Tech, though. Put them on your list.

http://www.advantagetech.net/

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 06:46 PM

Good luck.Very cool. Thanks for the input and feedback. I'm getting all these contacts from recruiters so I wouldn't think my resume is so bad, but I'm making the jump or trying to make the jump into another pay scale so I didn't know what the "norm" is.

I liked all your opinions and takes on the resume and will use all of them in the resume. Thanks again for the feedback!

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
they probably figure people with "100K talent, 100K salaries" have some extra coin to throw around.
Thats what I figured. Easy money for them.

Simplex3
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the input and feedback. I'm getting all these contacts from recruiters so I wouldn't think my resume is so bad..

Recruiters almost never send out your resume. They reformat it into their own look/feel, remove the contact details (sometimes), and send that.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Just bill him $300 for it. He's getting a bargain!Hey :cuss:

Jawshco
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
GPA doesn't matter much to me. I've seen a lot of high GPAs on a lot of dumb people. It's a different type of intellegence. I look for the best overall fit and do my own cognitive, skill & personality testing. People with a lot of working experience and education tend have average GPAs, which is more than fine by me. I respect anyone who worked their way through college.

I like the objective. It gives the applicant a chance to quickly state that they know who the company is, they have a defined career path, and can easily descibe why you'd want to hire them for specific job they're applying to. Now, if their cover letter was really amazing, then perhaps the objective statement or "goal" statement wouldn't be as needed, but I still like it overall. Not every hiring manager on the interview panel is going to take the time to read your cover letter. It's best to advertise as much of your talent as you can in as few words as possible on the resume.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
So I am looking for a good IT recruiter in the KC area. Anybody know of ones I can contact?There is not a lot of difference in them, But you don't get a recuiter. They come to you.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Recruiters almost never send out your resume. They reformat it into their own look/feel, remove the contact details (sometimes), and send that.True Dat.

BigRedChief
10-23-2009, 07:01 PM
GPA doesn't matter much to me. I've seen a lot of high GPAs on a lot of dumb people. It's a different type of intellegence. I look for the best overall fit and do my own cognitive, skill & personality testing. People with a lot of working experience and education tend have average GPAs, which is more than fine by me. I respect anyone who worked their way through college.
In my field and at my level, everyone has been given their fair share of smarts, thats a given or you don't get the job. But, where you earn your money is when you do A+B= C and G breaks and everyone goes why is G broke? All we did is A+B= C, we didn't touch G. Logically able to resolve an issue or a long time lingering problem is a must have skilll set.

Redrum_69
10-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I used to do IT recruiting and there are several local recruiters that would be more than happy to help you re-write it. Just show some interest in one of their jobs.

There are a ton is shit resumes out there but IT one's are pretty much all shit so you should be fine either way.

I would highly recommend using "career-check" before having this guy redo your resume...

Jawshco
10-24-2009, 02:04 AM
In my field and at my level, everyone has been given their fair share of smarts, thats a given or you don't get the job. But, where you earn your money is when you do A+B= C and G breaks and everyone goes why is G broke? All we did is A+B= C, we didn't touch G. Logically able to resolve an issue or a long time lingering problem is a must have skilll set.

LOL! That sounds about right, but at least your "G"s don't whine and complain!

Bearcat
10-24-2009, 03:02 AM

That makes sense, and it probably doesn't take long to figure that out, either. My freshman roommate was a complete dumbass and devalued my degree the minute he got his, but he graduated with like a 3.8 because of a bunch of fluff classes and frat help... he's now a secretary at Mizzou. The highest GPAs probably have the least amount of activities and social interaction, even though there are those that do it all.

I showed mine partially because education was the only highlight on my resume since I didn't have any relevant experience, and my graduate GPA was much better than undergrad. However, I didn't have any honors or anything, so I'd probably take it off now that the focus would be on the experience section.

I like the objective. It gives the applicant a chance to quickly state that they know who the company is, they have a defined career path, and can easily descibe why you'd want to hire them for specific job they're applying to. Now, if their cover letter was really amazing, then perhaps the objective statement or "goal" statement wouldn't be as needed, but I still like it overall. Not every hiring manager on the interview panel is going to take the time to read your cover letter. It's best to advertise as much of your talent as you can in as few words as possible on the resume.

Understandable... I like the general outline that I use for a cover letter, but see your point. I went back to work at a summer job full time when I couldn't find anything out of school, and when I'd apply for IT jobs I'd think of my objective as "I'm working in a f***ing mail room, why do YOU think I want this job?!?!. Now I could probably come up with something better. :)