PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs high on hard-working Edwards

Tribal Warfare
10-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Chiefs high on hard-working Edwards (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1524659.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Ron Edwards said he needs to work on repetition, and he didn’t break from his training Thursday. He kept saying it. Question after question, he had the same thing on his mind.

“Just reps and reps and reps,” said Edwards, the Chiefs’ nose tackle. “Just the repetition, it always helps. Doing the same things again and again makes me better.”

The Chiefs gambled this week. They traded backup nose tackle Tank Tyler on Monday to the Carolina Panthers for a fifth-round pick in next year’s NFL draft. That left Edwards as not only the team’s undisputed starter but, for a while anyway, the team’s only true nose tackle as well.

Then the Chiefs signed veteran Kenny Smith, and the defensive depth chart didn’t look naked anymore. But considering that Smith hasn’t played in an NFL game since 2003, it became clear this week that the Chiefs are either wagering their fortunes on Edwards, or they trust him enough to play well and stay healthy for 10 more games.

Edwards, 30, is a soft-spoken player. He’s a worker. He’s one of those who says little but works relentlessly. That’s what the Chiefs like about him. When coach Todd Haley asked Edwards, like nearly every other player, to drop weight during the offseason, the big man did it. Edwards is as strong as he looks, quicker than you’d think, and skilled enough to give the Chiefs one reliable nose tackle.

But is that really enough?

“We feel comfortable with where we’re at,” Haley said Thursday.

The Chiefs might feel more comfortable if they knew that Edwards would avoid injuries for more than two months. Edwards is the starter at the defense’s most shallow position. And just in case, defensive ends Glenn Dorsey and Wallace Gilberry have spent practice time working at nose tackle.

Neither of those players possesses Edwards’ 6-foot-3, 315-pound frame, but at least they have some experience as versatile linemen who now can shift inside in a pinch.

“We’ve got a plan if something were to happen,” Haley said. “Ron is working hard on his conditioning. All those things factor into durability — along with a little bit of luck.”

Edwards is trying to leave little to chance. He said he has to continue saying, doing and thinking the same things if he is to keep shaping his mind and body into something that fits Haley’s expectations. In the past, Edwards knew Tyler was there, and the two split snaps sometimes, even though Edwards was listed most times as the team’s starter.

Haley admitted there is a learning adjustment for a player when he realizes he is, for the most part, a team’s only option. Then there is the fact that Edwards’ size — his weight is down after a long offseason working on side fields to improve his conditioning — might occasionally work against him.

“He’s so big, sometimes,” Haley said, “those guys have a tendency to wear out a little bit. He’s got to think of himself as a full-time player and not a part-time player.”

Edwards said that’s a challenge, but it’s one he’s up to.

“I can’t change the way I think. I’ve just got to keep doing the same things,” he said. “It’s basically the same. You’ve just got to be perfect in reps, you can’t make mistakes, you can’t take plays off. Just do the same thing over and over again.”

For the value Edwards appears to place on repetition, it seems to have worked for him. His week started at Washington, when the Chiefs got their first win, and Edwards took home a game ball after deflecting a pass and getting two tackles. Then Tyler was traded, shifting more emphasis to Edwards’ shoulders — but perhaps more pressure, too.

“Everything has to get better,” he said. “That’s just the way it is.”

The Chiefs trust him to do his part.

“Ron is a guy who bought in 100 percent,” Haley said. “He changed his body; he’s a big boy and is still a big guy, but he lost a significant (amount) of weight.

“He changed over a span of time. I think it’s starting to show and the last couple of weeks he’s been a pretty disruptive force in there.”

Silock
10-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I play soccer with one of the strength trainers for the Chiefs. He said that last month, Edwards put up 665 x 6 on the bench press. Said he was much stronger than Tank was. That shocked the shit out of me.

Count Zarth
10-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Tank is no weakling either. That guy benched like 42x225.

CaliforniaChief
10-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I play soccer with one of the strength trainers for the Chiefs. He said that last month, Edwards put up 665 x 6 on the bench press. Said he was much stronger than Tank was. That shocked the shit out of me.

And after he told you that story, your friend was taken out by a sniper.

Dead men tell no tales from inside Fort Arrowhead.

Count Zarth
10-22-2009, 10:44 PM
BTW, Mecca, eat some crow.

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2009, 10:52 PM
BTW, Mecca, eat some crow.

Crow?

Why?

It's not like Edwards is a Pro Bowler let alone a game changer.

He's just a guy.

alanm
10-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Crow?

Why?

He's just a guy.He's a decent player. He reminds me a lot of John Browning.

Count Zarth
10-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Crow?

Why?

He's just a guy.

Mecca thinks he sucks.

I think he's found the position he ought to be playing...at the very least he is an above-average NT.

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2009, 11:11 PM
He's a decent player. He reminds me a lot of John Browning.

So he's gonna be hurt all the time?

:p

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Mecca thinks he sucks.

I think he's found the position he ought to be playing...at the very least he is an above-average NT.

If he were above average, the Chiefs defense would be ranked 10 spots higher.

Count Zarth
10-22-2009, 11:15 PM

He hasn't even started every game.

Now that they know what he can do I bet the defense gets a lot better from here on out.

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
He hasn't even started every game.

Now that they know what he can do I bet the defense gets a lot better from here on out.

:shake:

Count Zarth
10-22-2009, 11:16 PM
:shake:

Unicorns and Rainbows for All!

Dave Lane
10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Tank is no weakling either. That guy benched like 42x225.

I can do 42 x 135 but only 3-4 or so at 270 tripling my base weight = 0 reps, 665 is fucking impressive!

chiefzilla1501
10-22-2009, 11:24 PM

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dorsey started to play much better once Edwards started to become the primary NT.

The main reason the Chiefs are getting thrashed has nothing to do with Edwards. The D-line this season hasn't been terrible. We're getting killed in the secondary. Our safeties are showing up 2 steps late to virtually every play, and in several games our nickel back (whether Washington or Leggett) had an enormous bullseye on their back.

Not to mention that the only LB we have that can actually cover anybody is sitting on the bench because the head coach is on an ego trip.

We could use some more depth on the D-line. But I'd be okay with a Dorsey-Edwards-Jackson D-line going into next season.

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2009, 11:27 PM
We could use some more depth on the D-line. But I'd be okay with a Dorsey-Edwards-Jackson D-line going into next season.

Then I feel confident in stating you're the only one.

Hog Farmer
10-23-2009, 12:37 AM
I did 12 oz x 24 one time !

Kyle DeLexus
10-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Still wouldn't mind seeing Boo Robinson or Dan Williams on the team next year.

kcfanXIII
10-23-2009, 01:13 AM
sorry. when i first saw this thread, i thought it just said "chiefs high." thought it might explain some things...

BossChief
10-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Heres Ron with his HS coach from camp 08

BossChief
10-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Mecca thinks he sucks.

If he is above average, which 7 nose guards is he better than?

He will be a quality stopgap until the NT not yet acquired is added and asimilated.

I cant see our defense being better though. The half of the plays Edwards isnt on the field teams will run it right up the gut on us with much success, whoever is there will be the defenses weakest link.

Tank may not have been good, but he wasnt bad either and he will be missed on the field

LOCOChief
10-23-2009, 05:44 AM
I can do 42 x 135 but only 3-4 or so at 270 tripling my base weight = 0 reps, 665 is ****ing impressive!:grr:

I'll bet you can't do 1 x 135,I'm not shitting you I would make that bet.

Telling people your bench on a message board = internet tough guy.
ROFL

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2009, 06:20 AM

It takes a little while to get used toa defense, not to mention he shed a lot of weight. I felt that he would be the starting NT in the offseason. I thought he and Hali would do well with the switch.

Ron Edwards had his best game last week and was a significant part of that win.

I also thought that Boone would be a perfect fit. I was surprised to see him cut. I was not surprised to see him land in another 3-4 scheme.

I think that the biggest issue with the defense is the ILB positions and the safeties.... not the NT.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2009, 06:23 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that Dorsey started to play much better once Edwards started to become the primary NT.

The main reason the Chiefs are getting thrashed has nothing to do with Edwards. The D-line this season hasn't been terrible. We're getting killed in the secondary. Our safeties are showing up 2 steps late to virtually every play, and in several games our nickel back (whether Washington or Leggett) had an enormous bullseye on their back.

Not to mention that the only LB we have that can actually cover anybody is sitting on the bench because the head coach is on an ego trip.

This.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Your friend may have told you this, but this is complete bullsnot. this would put his raw bench well over 700 pounds and there are less than a handful of guys in the entire world that can and have bench pressed over 700 pounds raw (without a bench shirt). And there isn't anyone walking the face of the earth that can bench 665 x 6. That equates out to the mid to high 700's in the bench press and the current world record holder in the bench press (raw) is Scot Mendelson with 715.

Silock
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Your friend may have told you this, but this is complete bullsnot. this would put his raw bench well over 700 pounds and there are less than a handful of guys in the entire world that can and have bench pressed over 700 pounds raw (without a bench shirt). And there isn't anyone walking the face of the earth that can bench 665 x 6. That equates out to the mid to high 700's in the bench press and the current world record holder in the bench press (raw) is Scot Mendelson with 715.

Actually, it's not bullshit. It wasn't all 6 reps in the same set. It was just 665 six times in the same session. Edwards wouldn't be the first NFL player to put up those kinds of numbers.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2009, 06:58 AM

Actually, it would put his one rep max at 799lbs.

Wow, and my goal is to bench 300. What a wimp I am.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Actually, it's not bullshit. It wasn't all 6 reps in the same set. It was just 665 six times in the same session. Edwards wouldn't be the first NFL player to put up those kinds of numbers.

Then you should have made that distinction. When you say a guy can do a certain weight a number of times.... it means in the same set.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 07:01 AM

Actually it is bullshit.

If you're referring to the Larry Allen bench press of 700 don't make me laugh. No one in the powerlifting community takes that shit seriously. And second, I don't believe there is an NFL player that can bench 665 legit much less for 6 singles. Do you actually have any idea how many guys have EVER bench pressed more than 600 pounds raw in a judged competition? Gym lifts don't mean dick.

Silock
10-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Then you should have made that distinction. When you say a guy can do a certain weight a number of times.... it means in the same set.

You're right. I should have.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Actually, it would put his one rep max at 799lbs.

Wow, and my goal is to bench 300. What a wimp I am.

785 is what it comes out to be. But give or take. A set of 6 puts you in a pretty ideal ball park because the calculators can pretty much nail triples or a set of 5 to a real max.

Silock
10-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Actually it is bullshit.

If you're referring to the Larry Allen bench press of 700 don't make me laugh. No one in the powerlifting community takes that shit seriously. And second, I don't believe there is an NFL player that can bench 665 legit much less for 6 singles. Do you actually have any idea how many guys have EVER bench pressed more than 600 pounds raw in a judged competition? Gym lifts don't mean dick.

Okay, well, you can go and tell him that to his face. My friend has no reason to lie, especially not about Ron f'in Edwards.

I realize that 600+ is rare, but it's not THAT rare. And just because he's strong in the weight room doesn't necessarily translate to the field.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
785 is what it comes out to be. But give or take. A set of 6 puts you in a pretty ideal ball park because the calculators can pretty much nail triples or a set of 5 to a real max.

Good to know. I just started working out again two months ago. 200lb max right now, want to hit 300lb. Can't seem to get as strong as quick as I did when I was in college, but I am 35.... so go figure.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Okay, well, you can go and tell him that to his face. My friend has no reason to lie, especially not about Ron f'in Edwards.

I realize that 600+ is rare, but it's not THAT rare. And just because he's strong in the weight room doesn't necessarily translate to the field.

Yes IT IS that rare. That's the point. You don't know what you're talking about. There are I believe, only 30 men in the history of powerlifting that have benched 600+ raw. We're talking 40+ years now. Second, if Edwards is lifting like that then he would be well over 700 for a max. You know how many guys can hit 700+ raw? I believe right now, it's either two or three guys. Scot Mendelson, Ryan Kennelly, and maybe Jeremy Hoornstra (there is one other guy I can't think of right now).

And I wouldn't just tell him to his face I'd tell him to do it. In a meet, where it could go into the world record books. Because a fwe years ago Glen Chabot was considered possibly the strongest bencher in the world and he hit 665 in competition and I believe just missed 700. Yet you're telling me that Ron Edwards is doing multiple singles with that?

Uh no. Get me in touch with this trainer and I will put money on it that Ron Edwards can't bench 665.

Silock
10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Yes IT IS that rare. That's the point. You don't know what you're talking about. There are I believe, only 30 men in the history of powerlifting that have benched 600+ raw. We're talking 40+ years now. Second, if Edwards is lifting like that then he would be well over 700 for a max. You know how many guys can hit 700+ raw? I believe right now, it's either two or three guys. Scot Mendelson, Ryan Kennelly, and maybe Jeremy Hoornstra (there is one other guy I can't think of right now).

And I wouldn't just tell him to his face I'd tell him to do it. In a meet, where it could go into the world record books. Because a fwe years ago Glen Chabot was considered possibly the strongest bencher in the world and he hit 665 in competition and I believe just missed 700. Yet you're telling me that Ron Edwards is doing multiple singles with that?

Uh no. Get me in touch with this trainer and I will put money on it that Ron Edwards can't bench 665.

Dude, I have no idea if it was without a bench shirt or not. I wasn't there. I don't know if it even counted as a full rep if he were in a competition. I'll see him Saturday, so I'll ask. I have no reason to doubt it, because I have no evidence that it's BS. You don't, either, so stop acting like there's some concrete proof you have that he didn't do it.

BTW, I count 51 in the 600+ club in competition, unassisted.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Dude, I have no idea if it was without a bench shirt or not. I wasn't there. I don't know if it even counted as a full rep if he were in a competition. I'll see him Saturday, so I'll ask. I have no reason to doubt it, because I have no evidence that it's BS. You don't, either, so stop acting like there's some concrete proof you have that he didn't do it.

BTW, I count 51 in the 600+ club in competition, unassisted.

Link?

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Oh I got it. This one..........

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/600-pound-raw-bench-press

some guys are listed more than once. Second, there is a lot of questions about some of those and aren't considered legit. like I said, I think there are around 30-35 guys who have legit benched 600 pounds in comp.

KCUnited
10-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Guess we should thank Herm for bringing in Edwards.

splatbass
10-23-2009, 08:48 AM

I think he is sitting on the bench because HE has an ego problem. If he would play up to his abilities I'm sure he would start.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
BTW: Look for Ron Edwards to have a huge game this week.

I would also look for Hali to log another sack or two.

Phillip Rivers likes to hold onto the ball and take shots downfield. And, the offensive line isn't playing well, and LT isn't much of a threat right now.

I think this game stacks up nicely for the Chiefs.... other than the fact that the Chargers are fighting for their lives.

Fish
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I still think Ron Edwards is a backup. If we're ever going to make the 3-4 work the way it should, we need someone better than Edwards.

boogblaster
10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Yep our D-line is improved .. our LBers can't cover .. plus our nickel sucks ...........

Mr. Laz
10-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Yep our D-line is improved .. our LBers can't cover .. plus our nickel sucks ...........
this

our LB's are so bad in coverage that it's limiting our ability to blitz.

Blitzing in the backbone of the pass rush for a 3-4.

Even when our front 7 do get the job done our secondary has been inconsistent as hell. When you have to play 10 yards soft even when you blitz then you are screwed.

HemiEd
10-23-2009, 11:00 AM

Yeah, and that was an accident.

Herm thought Carl was handing out fig newtons, when Carl shouted Edwards!

So Herm said yes, yes! And the rest is history.

Silock
10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh I got it. This one..........

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/600-pound-raw-bench-press

some guys are listed more than once. Second, there is a lot of questions about some of those and aren't considered legit. like I said, I think there are around 30-35 guys who have legit benched 600 pounds in comp.

The thing is that it doesn't really matter. The only reason I even mentioned it is because he's the strongest guy on the team.

Oh, and I asked my friend. Still no specifics, but I'll see him tomorrow.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/edwards.jpg

dallaschiefsfan
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Then I feel confident in stating you're the only one.

Seriously? I'd love to get the next Ted Washington, but it probably ain't happening. I'm very comfortable with this group if we have a play-maker either signed in FA or drafted that improve us at S and LB. We get a playmaker at both of those positions and this line will be fine...not all-pro, but fine enough that they won't slow-down a serious improvement in our Def by the new pieces.

RedThat
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
It takes a little while to get used toa defense, not to mention he shed a lot of weight. I felt that he would be the starting NT in the offseason. I thought he and Hali would do well with the switch.

Ron Edwards had his best game last week and was a significant part of that win.

I also thought that Boone would be a perfect fit. I was surprised to see him cut. I was not surprised to see him land in another 3-4 scheme.

I think that the biggest issue with the defense is the ILB positions and the safeties.... not the NT.

I agree, but Im also going to add the passrush needs improvement. That's the biggest concern for me right now imo.

I think Hali and Vrabel are decent players, but one of them will need to be replaced imo. I think there is room for improvement. Chiefs need that relentless passrusher to make the defense a threat in the future. I don't view Hali or Vrabel as relentless passrushers.

Give me that passrusher and even regardless of who you have covering at safety or Linebacker, the bottomline is coverage units will improve.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
The thing is that it doesn't really matter. The only reason I even mentioned it is because he's the strongest guy on the team.

Oh, and I asked my friend. Still no specifics, but I'll see him tomorrow.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg121/Silock99/edwards.jpg

Have your friend get a video of it. I flat out don't believe it.

dallaschiefsfan
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree, but Im also going to add the passrush needs improvement. That's the biggest concern for me right now imo.

I think Hali and Vrabel are decent players, but one of them will need to be replaced imo. I think there is room for improvement. Chiefs need that relentless passrusher to make the defense a threat in the future. I don't view Hali or Vrabel as relentless passrushers.

Give me that passrusher and even regardless of who you have covering at safety or Linebacker, the bottomline is coverage units will improve.

Having no knowledge of Vrabel's history, is it possible for him to play inside if we get another outside LB during this off-season or is he simply depth at that point?

Count Zarth
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Having no knowledge of Vrabel's history, is it possible for him to play inside if we get another outside LB during this off-season or is he simply depth at that point?

He's played ILB before. I think he might be a good stop-gap there if we find a true pass-rush threat at OLB.

Rain Man
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

How about if I just take that off of his bill?

Just Passin' By
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Vrabel has been much better on the outside, historically.

Iowanian
10-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Have your friend get a video of it. I flat out don't believe it.

At least you're not being a dick about this topic.

Are you sitting on your roid needle?

dallaschiefsfan
10-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Vrabel has been much better on the outside, historically.

Ok...but if we get an upgrade over him at outside...is Vrabel an upgrade over Mays or Williams?

Count Zarth
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Ok...but if we get an upgrade over him at outside...is Vrabel an upgrade over Mays or Williams?

Yes, IMO. Not even close.

TheGuardian
10-23-2009, 02:52 PM
At least you're not being a dick about this topic.

Are you sitting on your roid needle?

No I use an I.V.

RedThat
10-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Yes. Definately. That was one of the reasons why the coaches loved him in NE. His versitilty to play both inside and outside LB.

RedThat
10-23-2009, 03:03 PM

Yes.

Just Passin' By
10-23-2009, 03:07 PM

I think it would depend on how well the defensive line was able to protect him. He's one of those players who doesn't deal all that well with the pounding in the middle. It wears him down.