PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notebook: LJ understands LT’s slow start

Tribal Warfare
10-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Chiefs notebook: LJ understands LT’s slow start (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1524657.html)

LJ understands LT

It was only three seasons ago that LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson were at the top of the pile of NFL running backs. Neither will be anywhere close to that Sunday when Tomlinson’s Chargers and Johnson’s Chiefs meet at Arrowhead Stadium.

Johnson is 22nd in the league with 309 yards but is averaging a feeble 2.7 yards per carry and doesn’t have a touchdown. Tomlinson has been held back by injuries and with 140 yards isn’t among the league’s top 50 rushers. He has only one touchdown.

“His experience is a little bit different,” Johnson said.” He’s been hurt, he’s been nicked up.

“He always started slow sometimes. The next thing you know he’s down for five touchdowns, six touchdowns. It all comes in due time. He’s a good enough back to know it’s going to happen. He’s just got to keep staying with it and not get frustrated.

“Watching him on Monday night, he was really frustrated. There were some plays where they took him out of scoring touchdowns and doing what he does best. That can get him a little frustrated, which is understandable. The same happens with me.”

Energized by the Washington win

Coach Todd Haley said he’s seen an energized group of Chiefs this week after they won their first game of the season last Sunday in Washington.

“These guys worked really, really hard going all the way back to March,” Haley said. “Winning cures a lot of ills. It’s amazing what a win will do throughout the building and throughout your team (and) for us as coaches, everybody. It’s hard to win.”

As proof, Haley pointed to Thursday’s practice. He had the Chiefs practice outdoors and in the rain to test their ability to focus on the task at hand and said he was pleased with the results.

“There’s a different energy,” Haley said. “Today was a great test. It was miserable out there and it would have been easy to go inside, but we’re working on our focus and our mind-set and our concentration, so a day like this was a big plus as far as I’m concerned.”

O’Callaghan now on the injury list

A second starting offensive tackle, Ryan O’Callaghan, joined Branden Albert on the injury report. Both players were listed as being limited in practice, Albert because of a sore ankle and O’Callaghan because of a shoulder injury.

Albert missed last week’s game. Haley said he wasn’t tempted to hold Albert out this week and bring him back when he’s at full health after next week’s bye.

“If they can play, as I told them all, I need you now,” Haley said. “I don’t need you in two weeks.”

The Chiefs also listed Jarrad Page (shoulder) and Brian Waters (ankle) on the injury report as full participants in practice.

OctoberFart
10-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Couple of washed up bums that can relate to each other. The only difference is one is borderline HOF material and the other was the most overpaid RB to only eclipse the 1000 yd mark twice in his career.