PDA

View Full Version : Life How much do you spend on your spouse/SO?

El Jefe
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I was curious as to see how much some of you spend/spent on your spouses, wether it be back when you were courting, or even now. I have been casually dating a girl for about 3 months, and Lordy it's expensive at times. We are going out to eat tonight at Easton, and I will probably spend about $100 bucks on the meal. We usually dont go out to places like that all the time, but when we go out to eat on a friday night I usually drop 50-75 bones, so a decent bit, but not too much. Not to mention like flowers and gifts and chocolates etc etc. My brother used to take his wife out a couple times on the weekend and spend like $200 bucks just going out and eating and to the movies. I took her bowling one night, and I've only been bowling twice before this, and I bought 4 games for each of us and it was $48 bucks, I was like man that much just for bowling? I like taking her out though, it's fun and things are progressing nicely, we do a lot of low key things too, so im not dropping major coin. Any stories from the past or present about dropping some coinage?

MOhillbilly
10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
i pay the rent.

stevieray
10-23-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm pretty lucky, my wife is extremely low maintenance..the only thing she requests is filet mignon on her birthday.

notorious
10-23-2009, 08:42 AM
I always left plenty of room to go up. If you start high, she's going to come to expect it all the time.

Then you are fucked.

big nasty kcnut
10-23-2009, 08:43 AM
I used to buy most of stuff for vanessa. other times we split the cost.

wutamess
10-23-2009, 08:43 AM
I typically spend as much as we want to to have a good night out since we rarely get those nights out w/5 kids.

The real kicker is we can't sit down as a family and not spend less than $75 everytime we go out with the kids. McDonalds we can get by with $15 but I don't get anything there. Anywhere we sat though it's $75 at the door.

blaise
10-23-2009, 08:44 AM
When I first started dating my wife I took her out for Valentines Day to this Indian restaurant in DC, like two blocks from the White House. This was quite a few years ago. I brought like $125 in cash, I didn't have a credit card back then. I knew I was in trouble when we went in. There was only like six tables in the place, there was a guy playing piano, and there were no prices on the menu. The tab came to right around $125. I had to ask my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) for money for the tip. It was pretty bad.

As far as spending on women. Every woman's different. Some need to know you want to spend a lot, others don't seem to care.

Gonzo
10-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Not as much as I should but Lumpy is low maintanance. She was never into jewlery or girly stuff like that.
I spend more on myself, (hunting stuff) and the boy, (toys) by far...

seclark
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
i pay the rent.

this plus her credit cards.

back in the 70's when we were dating, i could take her out on a saturday night for about $20.
pizza
movie
gas(for the car, not from the pizza)

overall, she's been a pretty cheap ride throughout the years.
sec

KCUnited
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
My significant makes more than I do so we normally come to a split on recreation funds. The only time I feel obligated to dish out is for sporting events and metal shows.

wild1
10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
You have to do a nice dinner sometimes, but I'm guessing you guys aren't eating at the most exclusive restaurants, you're probably getting bills that are half alcohol or more. We rarely drink, which is a huge benefit. If she requires that much spending from you or else she isn't interested, I'd look elsewhere.

notorious
10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
One of my new GF's years ago needed to be picked up in MCI. I flew from Dodge City to KC to pick her up, when I walked her out to the plane, she looked at me and said,"That's it, I wanted a bigger airplane." It took every ounce of niceness to not tell her to walk back to Dodge. Dropped her off and never answered her calls again.

High maintenance Bitch!

It was all worth it. It took a lot of dating whores, bitches, and c#$#s to find the right one. My wife is the coolest girl in the world.

sedated
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
we split most things. except stuff I invite her to, like sporting events and such.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-23-2009, 08:57 AM
My wife is incredibly low maintenence. She never asks me for anything. I take her out and buy her stuff though, because I feel bad. She's not very good with money so I run the finances entirely and the girl doesn't spend more than $250 a month. That generally pays for her gas, and some coffee or lunch every once in a while for work.

I think I'll take her out to dinner tonight. It's been awhile.

Pestilence
10-23-2009, 08:58 AM
It only gets worse when you're married. Trust me.

rockymtnchief
10-23-2009, 09:01 AM
My girlfriend makes more from interest off her money than I make in salary. So she buys ME flowers.

MOhillbilly
10-23-2009, 09:05 AM
this plus her credit cards.

back in the 70's when we were dating, i could take her out on a saturday night for about $20.
pizza
movie
gas(for the car, not from the pizza)

overall, she's been a pretty cheap ride throughout the years.
sec

my grandpa and i would always talk while we worked in the garden. i loved to hear his stories about spfld. when he was young(b.1912). he told me he could take a date to a movie, get cokes, and ice cream after for 25c.

edit-payin 2 bits a pop.

Dayze
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I’m very lucky.
My wife is a book worm-always has been; seriously, she’ll go through a 250pg book in 2 days or so. She loves coffee/starbucks; Sometimes after we cook a dinner on a weekend etc, I’ll say “C’mon; let’s go get coffee and we can stop by Border’s”. It totally makes her day – primarily because I’m a swell guy. Or, we’ll make/try a different meal out of a cookbook on a Saturday night with some wine etc; then watch a movie. She’s very comfortable at home being ‘cozy’. Doesn’t need/wanta lot of bells and whistles etc, other than the occasional nice dinner.

She likes flowers; but not roses (I mean, she likes them, but they’re not her favorite); carnations are her favorite. Thank god.

Our 5 yr wedding anniversary is today; we’re headed to McCormick & Scmick’s tonight -which is our favorite ‘fancy’ restaurant.

Buehler445
10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
My wife and I were dating when we were in college, so we were both broke as shit. But she is very frugal, always has been. She is fucking great. She'd rather not get anything for her birthday so we can save up money for something else.

The one thing I did go balls deep on was her ring. Some of you old fuckers would probably scoff at me, but at that point in my life it was a lot of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I pretty much like to pay for everything, except her rent, i even give her 'allowance' money sometimes. She does pay for me at times but im a gentleman like that i guess. She loves to spoil me as well but im hard headed about her paying for stuff.

RJ
10-23-2009, 09:32 AM
We still keep our own checking accounts, which I believe is one reason why we never argue over money.

As to gifts and such, my wife never asks for anything extravagant. I spend more on her than she'd ever spend on herself. That's why she likes me to buy clothes for her.

We go out to breakfast once a month or so, dinner even less, but I feed her really well at home. I like to send her flowers at work for no reason. She'd rather have something nice for the house than a piece of jewelry.

And yes, now that you mention it......I am a lucky guy.

CoMoChief
10-23-2009, 09:33 AM
THANK GOD I'm single.

I used to spend A LOT on my ex. Big mistake.

CoMoChief
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I was curious as to see how much some of you spend/spent on your spouses, wether it be back when you were courting, or even now. I have been casually dating a girl for about 3 months, and Lordy it's expensive at times. We are going out to eat tonight at Easton, and I will probably spend about $100 bucks on the meal. We usually dont go out to places like that all the time, but when we go out to eat on a friday night I usually drop 50-75 bones, so a decent bit, but not too much. Not to mention like flowers and gifts and chocolates etc etc. My brother used to take his wife out a couple times on the weekend and spend like $200 bucks just going out and eating and to the movies. I took her bowling one night, and I've only been bowling twice before this, and I bought 4 games for each of us and it was $48 bucks, I was like man that much just for bowling? I like taking her out though, it's fun and things are progressing nicely, we do a lot of low key things too, so im not dropping major coin. Any stories from the past or present about dropping some coinage?

You must have went to Lunar Bowl.

ROFL sorry Zach

JD10367
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Thie thread title is not really applicable.

For a SO, you should probably split bills, and then a splurge on the other is a gift.

Spouse? There's no need for discussion. If you ever get married, you'll learn the rule: "What's hers is hers, and what's yours is hers."

Nixhex
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Pussy is very expensive.

/thread

Saulbadguy
10-23-2009, 09:38 AM
I have made a crude graph depicting my experiences.

ChiefButthurt
10-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Dude...I bought my wife her first ring for 16 bucks and I borrowed the money off of my sister at the time. Of course, that was 34 years ago and we were in the 11th grade.

DJ's left nut
10-23-2009, 09:41 AM
It only gets worse when you're married. Trust me.

I disagree.

My wife and I still have a 'date night' where we go out once a week just to get out of the house and be a couple.

Otherwise when you get married it's pretty much okay to drop all airs (though it's important to establish early that 'drop all airs' does NOT mean 'get fat'; it means that I don't need you to spend $150 on a pair of jeans. Seen it already; now go get neked...).

She doesn't spend much money on clothes anymore, doesn't spend much on shoes, etc... There are makeup, etc... expenses but that's about it as far as steady overhead.

Then there are the outlier expenses like gifts for baby showers and crap I'd have never dealt with as a single guy.

The other consideration is that she has a job of her own. We couldn't live off it alone, but we also have cool shit like dogs, cars and a house bigger than we'd absolutely need.

All told, I figure she's revenue neutral.

Though it cost a small fortune getting to that point. We started dating in HS and I think I was the only HS kid in history to work 25hrs/week and not have any expendible income.

El Jefe
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I’m very lucky.
My wife is a book worm-always has been; seriously, she’ll go through a 250pg book in 2 days or so. She loves coffee/starbucks; Sometimes after we cook a dinner on a weekend etc, I’ll say “C’mon; let’s go get coffee and we can stop by Border’s”. It totally makes her day – primarily because I’m a swell guy. Or, we’ll make/try a different meal out of a cookbook on a Saturday night with some wine etc; then watch a movie. She’s very comfortable at home being ‘cozy’. Doesn’t need/wanta lot of bells and whistles etc, other than the occasional nice dinner.

She likes flowers; but not roses (I mean, she likes them, but they’re not her favorite); carnations are her favorite. Thank god.

Our 5 yr wedding anniversary is today; we’re headed to McCormick & Scmick’s tonight -which is our favorite ‘fancy’ restaurant.

Congratulations man! That is awesome to hear, I know you've had a few bumps in the road, at least you have a true women by your side. Hope your dinner goes well tonight. BTW McCormick and Scmick's is a good place.

El Jefe
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
My wife and I were dating when we were in college, so we were both broke as shit. But she is very frugal, always has been. She is ****ing great. She'd rather not get anything for her birthday so we can save up money for something else.

The one thing I did go balls deep on was her ring. Some of you old ****ers would probably scoff at me, but at that point in my life it was a lot of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

How much did you shell out?

El Jefe
10-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I have made a crude graph depicting my experiences.

Arby's watching Cops re-runs ROFL ROFL ROFL

boogblaster
10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Growler is low maintence .. she works, so most anything she wants she pays for ...

wutamess
10-23-2009, 10:14 AM
My wife is incredibly low maintenence. She never asks me for anything. I take her out and buy her stuff though, because I feel bad. She's not very good with money so I run the finances entirely and the girl doesn't spend more than $250 a month. That generally pays for her gas, and some coffee or lunch every once in a while for work.

I think I'll take her out to dinner tonight. It's been awhile.

This.

seclark
10-23-2009, 10:17 AM
hey kcchiefsfanGoLJ...didn't you have a thread awhile back about your girlfriend crunching up your wheels, and you weren't going to make her pay for the damages?

you must really be hung up on her.
sec

Buehler445
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
How much did you shell out?

Sent you a PM.
Posted via Mobile Device

burt
10-23-2009, 10:28 AM
my soul...........

58-4ever
10-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Just the every once in a while gift from anywhere between 5-75 dollars. And we go out to eat a few times a week at 35-100 dollars a pop. (I think of that as spending on myself though) For holidays, I usually drop 400-800 bones. Not too bad.

Simply Red
10-23-2009, 11:10 AM
i'd like to jerk it and shoot in on her chin, my 'ex' you mean, right?

El Jefe
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
hey kcchiefsfanGoLJ...didn't you have a thread awhile back about your girlfriend crunching up your wheels, and you weren't going to make her pay for the damages?

you must really be hung up on her.
sec

Yeah, she smashed up my tail light heh, yeah I like her quite a bit :D.

El Jefe
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Just the every once in a while gift from anywhere between 5-75 dollars. And we go out to eat a few times a week at 35-100 dollars a pop. (I think of that as spending on myself though) For holidays, I usually drop 400-800 bones. Not too bad.

Nice, im about the same, except with the holidays, I've yet to cross that river with her, so this year should be interesting.

mlyonsd
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I buy a different colored bow now and then.

kepp
10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I always left plenty of room to go up. If you start high, she's going to come to expect it all the time.

Then you are ****ed.

this

bevischief
10-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Then you are fucked.

this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I consider spending on your wife as an investment. Especially beauty products.

Ecto-I
10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Dude, does she pay for ANYTHING??? That wouldn't fly with me...

I've been dating a girl for about a month. First time to dinner, I paid the $50 tab. Second time, SHE paid (although I counter offered to split which she refused) the $65 tab. So far its been pretty even.

I'm fine with paying for things in the beginning (and generally, don't do anything too lavish in the first few weeks) and as things progress, I think things should be more even Steven.

Stewie
10-23-2009, 03:11 PM
To be honest, I really don't keep track of that sort of thing. We do things together - she buys some things and I buy some things. Who really cares? Are you afraid you're making a bad investment?

vailpass
10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Think dating is expensive? Wait til you have kids.

Dayze
10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
my wife and i pool our money; neither one of us really are big spenders anyway.
our paychecks are deposited into one acct. Thankfully, she's very good with not spendign a ton of money. we have a $50 rule; if it's more than $50 simply call the other one to see if it's cool/if we can afford it etc.

been than way for 6 years; no issues with "No! that's my money" type stuff. if I want a video game, as an example, we'll talk about it before hand etc andin the next paycheck or so I'll pick it up. Same goes for things she wants. We both like going to dinner, so it's sort of a treat for us both.

vailpass
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
my wife and i pool our money; neither one of us really are big spenders anyway.
our paychecks are deposited into one acct. Thankfully, she's very good with not spendign a ton of money. we have a $50 rule; if it's more than $50 simply call the other one to see if it's cool/if we can afford it etc.

been than way for 6 years; no issues with "No! that's my money" type stuff. if I want a video game, as an example, we'll talk about it before hand etc andin the next paycheck or so I'll pick it up. Same goes for things she wants. We both like going to dinner, so it's sort of a treat for us both.

Cool. If I may ask: do you plan to have children and if so does your wife plan to continue working?
I'm 43 and among the younger married couples I see it seems most of the women work (my wife quit her job the month after we were pregnant with our first 11 years ago).
I understand if you don't wish to answer.

wildcat09
10-23-2009, 03:24 PM
lets just say I spend way more on my wife than I ever would on myself........I get spending anxiety when I spend on myself.

wildcat09
10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I dropped 500 bones on a purse for her without blinking.......I would have an aneurysm if it was something for me

RJ
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I dropped 500 bones on a purse for her without blinking.......I would have an aneurysm if it was something for me

I can relate. I have no problem spending money on others but I hate spending money on myself.

Ecto-I
10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I can relate. I have no problem spending money on others but I hate spending money on myself.

Same!

And to follow up on my previous post, for people I've just started dating, it bothers me when a girl feels entitled to be paid for and it's that attitude rather than the actual cost that bugs me.

wildcat09
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM

I needed some new clothes for work and had set aside cash to buy me some. We went and as we were picking stuff out, I started to freak. We ended up putting everything back and going home. The problem was that I really needed those clothes. I had to give my wife the cash and have her go back and get the clothes for me.

sedated
10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
And to follow up on my previous post, for people I've just started dating, it bothers me when a girl feels entitled to be paid for and it's that attitude rather than the actual cost that bugs me.

"she didn't even reach for the check. it'd be nice just to get a reach"

wildcat09
10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
My wife (a mizzou alum) went by the Norm Stewart rule when we were dating. If we went out on the Kansas side I had to pay for everything because she didn't want to contribute to the Kansas economy......now we own a house in Overland Park and she has Kansas plates on her car.......

RJ
10-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I needed some new clothes for work and had set aside cash to buy me some. We went and as we were picking stuff out, I started to freak. We ended up putting everything back and going home. The problem was that I really needed those clothes. I had to give my wife the cash and have her go back and get the clothes for me.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have done the same thing. I realize that it's totally irrational, but I just hate spending hundreds of dollars on clothes for myself. If, on the other hand, my wife buys them for me........

I'm glad I'm not like that with beer.

RJ
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Same!

When I was single, I always expected to pay on the first couple of dates, but I think if a woman really likes you she will eventually want to buy, if for no other reason than to show that she's not just there for a free meal.

CoMoChief
10-23-2009, 04:12 PM
One of my new GF's years ago needed to be picked up in MCI. I flew from Dodge City to KC to pick her up, when I walked her out to the plane, she looked at me and said,"That's it, I wanted a bigger airplane." It took every ounce of niceness to not tell her to walk back to Dodge. Dropped her off and never answered her calls again.

High maintenance Bitch!

It was all worth it. It took a lot of dating whores, bitches, and c#$#s to find the right one. My wife is the coolest girl in the world.

You should have explained to her stupid ass that they don't fly 737's for 15 min flights.

But yeah thats a clear definition of a high maintenance cunt.

Rausch
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
my soul...........

Heh.

Go here... (http://www.ashleymadison.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=married&utm_content=exact&utm_campaign=seeking%2Ban%2Baffair%2B-%2Bus%2Fcan%2B-%2Bsearch&gclid=CJXJscWY1J0CFRQeDQodoHOrsw)

burt
10-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Heh.

Go here... (http://www.ashleymadison.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=married&utm_content=exact&utm_campaign=seeking%2Ban%2Baffair%2B-%2Bus%2Fcan%2B-%2Bsearch&gclid=CJXJscWY1J0CFRQeDQodoHOrsw)

"Burt...nsfw!"

duh.

Phobia
10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
How much do I spend on my wife?

All of it.

BWillie
10-23-2009, 11:05 PM

Uh...doesn't she ever pay?