PDA

View Full Version : Life Should I move into a haunted Duplex?

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:20 AM
So my girlfriend and I have been looking to move into a bigger place for some time now.

A friend of her family owns a ton of real estate in Central San Diego. She has a duplex that was built in 1932 that she wants to rent out badly. It's been abandend for the last 5 years now after a fire took out half of the duplex. The supposedly Haunted half. The Haunted half is NOT physically connected to the other half, they are a few feet apart.

I will be moving into the "not haunted half" of the duplex. The building has been deemed "Historical" by the city of San Diego, and she is now forced to restore the property.

The property has a very good sized front yard that will have new grass planted and a water fountain installed. The Home itself (not the haunted side) has a beautifully remodeled kitchen with a brand new stove, and brand new double doored fridge. It's a nice 2 bedroom unit with 2 hall closets, new tile flooring, new oak cabinets and so forth. It also has washer and dryer hook ups in the back and i'll be allowed to have a dog. It's on a quiet one way street at the top of a hill overlooking the rest of San Diego, about 5 minutes from the Gaslamp District and so forth.

Please keep in mind that a property like this goes for at least 1100+ in San Diego, and rarely can u have pets, and rarely do you get a washer and dryer hook up. If you want a front yard, those properties are usually 2K+. It just doesn't happen on the cheap in San Diego

Because the owner is a friend of the family, i can pay her the deposit whenever I
feel like it. My rent would be $850. Which is killer for this home and location.

The Problem: My Girlfriend claims that the other half of the Duplex is haunted. She lived there with her family as a child, and she claimed that she would see a little boy every once in awhile, just sitting in the corner of her room. She also claims that she would hear the sound of children running up and down the stairs late at night. She swears on her own life that she saw/heard these events.

Recently, her cousin stayed in the haunted side because he had nowhere else to go. He stayed there for two nights and claimed that he would hear children running around the unit playing. He said he would never, ever, go back there again.

So....should i stay there, or should i let a great opportunity pass me by?

Reerun_KC
10-24-2009, 10:22 AM
go for it...

never know the ghost could be a lesbian/Bi.... Good be some good fun...

RustShack
10-24-2009, 10:22 AM
I thought my duplex was haunted when I moved into it. Freaked me out at first but its good now, or at least I'm used to it.

Buehler445
10-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Do it up as long as you can convince her that it is the non-haunted side. Seriously, old houses make noise. They just do. My parents house is a decade or so older, and the shit just makes noise. It's what you get with an old house. If she's gonna spaz about it, walk.

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Move into the haunted side, pussy.

Reerun_KC
10-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Do it up as long as you can convince her that it is the non-haunted side. Seriously, old houses make noise. They just do. My parents house is a decade or so older, and the shit just makes noise. It's what you get with an old house. If she's gonna spaz about it, walk.

My house is like there's is close to 90 years old and it makes the craziest noise at night, espically with tempature changes...

milkman
10-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Since, apparently, your girlfriend and family made out alive after living there, what's the problem?

Buehler445
A decade? That's young by housing standards.

It was built in the 20's dude.

Mr. Laz
sure and then walk around naked all the time so the Ghost sees your penis.

Bwana

This

http://aguyinnewyork.com/images/2005photos/HauntedHouseNYC_2.JPG

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 10:29 AM
It was built in the 20's dude.
Yeah I re-read your post and realized my mistake.

Detoxing
I think im going to stay there. Im not sure if i believe in ghosts or not, but i guess im going to find out. One thing i do know, im staying away from the haunted unit. Also, if u saw this place, it looks creepy as **** on the outside. especially the burned side.

Buehler445
sure and then walk around naked all the time so the Ghost sees your penis.

Only if the ghost is HAWT.

Frazod
10-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I've detailed my experience in my friend's haunted house several times over the years. He lived in that house for a couple of years, and since the spirit wasn't malicious (just footsteps and other noises, confined to a single room), he got used to it.

But still.....

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I think im going to stay there. Im not sure if i believe in ghosts or not, but i guess im going to find out. One thing i do know, im staying away from the haunted unit. Also, if u saw this place, it looks creepy as **** on the outside. especially the burned side.
Pics, or this thread is worthless.

Buehler445
10-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I think im going to stay there. Im not sure if i believe in ghosts or not, but i guess im going to find out. One thing i do know, im staying away from the haunted unit. Also, if u saw this place, it lloks creepy as fuck on the outside. especially the burned side.

Tasteless as it is, I have to do it. Apologies in advance.

If you see a ghost:
http://socialmediarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kill-it-with-fire.jpeg

Rausch
10-24-2009, 10:32 AM
If she's freaked out all the time is it worth it?

I mean, wouldn't you complain if you had to listen to real people going up and down the stairs all night?...

RustShack
Call the Ghost Busters.

seclark
the first house we bought was supposed to be haunted. people that lived there in the 1930's got some kind of disease and the wife and kids all died.

it wasn't so bad...kind of cool, really. just crazy noises and shit flying around the air and whatnot. they were pretty good at foosball and 4 point pitch, but weren't worth shit in hearts. left the beer alone, but had a taste for rum.

haven't heard from them since we moved out. they don't even send a Christmas card. i guess some ghosts are like that.

sec

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I've detailed my experience in my friend's haunted house several times over the years. He lived in that house for a couple of years, and since the spirit wasn't malicious (just footsteps and other noises, confined to a single room), he got used to it.

But still.....

Yeah, i don't think it's something i could get use to it. Especially considering how isolated the home is.

Rausch
10-24-2009, 10:35 AM

But still.....

LaChapelle
The children wil laugh at you, taunt you, and call you fleshbag.

JuicesFlowing
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSSqxrh5kp8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSSqxrh5kp8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:37 AM
How do you post a google street view link or photo?

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Never mind. Found it. This is a pic of the haunted unit. The other unit is on the other side of this on the one way street.

EDIT: Guess i shouldnt give out the address in case i do move down there

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 10:38 AM
How do you post a google street view link or photo?
Screencap would be the best way if you don't want to reveal the address.

Buehler445
10-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Screencap would be the best way if you don't want to reveal the address.

Nevermind

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:42 AM
BTW, this is a really old pic, it doesn't look nearly this tore up anymore

Buehler445
10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
BTW, this is a really old pic, it doesn't look nearly this tore up anymore

So it's the white one across the street?

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
So it's the white one across the street?

Nope, the big ugly yellow one. It' much nicer inside and the outside will be remodeled by february, otherwise i wouldn't even consider it.

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Nope, the big ugly yellow one. It' much nicer inside and the outside will be remodeled by february, otherwise i wouldn't even consider it.
Yeah, that was my first thought, the place is an eyesore more than anything. My curiosity would eventually get the best of me and I'd have to go poke around the haunted side.

Buehler445
10-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, that was my first thought, the place is an eyesore more than anything. My curiosity would eventually get the best of me and I'd have to go poke around the haunted side.

This.

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm sure i'll get drunk with some friends one night and go in there. My GF will kill me though. She thinks that if we go in there, it will follow us to the other unit.

luv
10-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd say it's a no brainer to keep looking. As others have pointed out. Your family and girlfriend would be freaked out, and think of the noise factor. It may be less money, but how much are you willing to pay for peace of mind and some quiet?

Rausch
10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm sure i'll get drunk with some friends one night and go in there. My GF will kill me though. She thinks that if we go in there, it will follow us to the other unit.

If she's that worried about it I wouldn't do it.

Hell, first time the wind blows heavy, boards settle, or you get a mouse she's gonna' freak out and run to church in her undies...

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Hope you don't mind me posting this, the addy is nowhere to be found.

http://i38.tinypic.com/ekpbf7.jpg

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 11:00 AM

That's fine

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
If she's that worried about it I wouldn't do it.

Hell, first time the wind blows heavy, boards settle, or you get a mouse she's gonna' freak out and run to church in her undies...

I was thinking the same thing. But if they do as good of a job on the outside of the place as they are doing on the inside, it will be a steal, and i'll feel like an idiot for not doing it.

Rausch
10-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I was thinking the same thing. But if they do as good of a job on the outside of the place as they are doing on the inside, it will be a steal, and i'll feel like an idiot for not doing it.

1) In this economy there will be plenty of "steals" in the housing market.

2) Once a woman gets an idea in her head good luck getting it out.

3) It's been empty for 5 years. There's a reason. Real or imagined.

4) This is your G/F, not wife. You sign a 1 year lease and she wants to leave, you = H0SED...

stormtrooper
10-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Hell ya !! do it :evil: :mad: :) :eek:

Rausch
10-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Hell, I guess you could always get your own reality show.

So there's that...

allen_kcCard

So...what are we looking at here?

Where is the "haunted" part?

If it were me and it was that good a deal, I would not only be getting in there, I would be asking if there could be an option to rent to own....then I would work my ass off to fix the place up over some years and make a killing on it later when the housing market is recovered and people are looking to overpay to get something they want.

If the inside is already pretty good, some hard work on that outside could makes some huge improvements, and as long as you gag the g/f with something no one would know of haunted rumors wether things happen to make you a believer or not.

Red Brooklyn
I have not read a word of this thread, but YES. Absolutely, you should.

Baconeater
10-24-2009, 11:21 AM

If it were me and it was that good a deal, I would not only be getting in there, I would be asking if there could be an option to rent to own....then I would work my ass off to fix the place up over some years and make a killing on it later when the housing market is recovered and people are looking to overpay to get something they want.

If the inside is already pretty good, some hard work on that outside could makes some huge improvements, and as long as you gag the g/f with something no one would know of haunted rumors wether things happen to make you a believer or not.
What you see is the haunted part, I'm assuming the unit he is considering is the one you can barely see on the left.

stormtrooper
10-24-2009, 11:25 AM
looks like the hood homie

Detoxing
10-24-2009, 11:31 AM

this is exactly what i was thinking. Don't let the outside fool you, the inside is nice and the outside should all be restored by february. Which is why this is a steal. When it's restored, this property will go for a lot more than what i'll be paying. And, i can probably convince her to do a Rent to Own deal. that's what im going to try for at least. And if they do rent the other half out, i could be her "onsite manager" and get my rent reduced.

Buehler445
10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
this is exactly what i was thinking. Don't let the outside fool you, the inside is nice and the outside should all be restored by february. Which is why this is a steal. When it's restored, this property will go for a lot more than what i'll be paying. And, i can probably convince her to do a Rent to Own deal. that's what im going to try for at least. And if they do rent the other half out, i could be her "onsite manager" and get my rent reduced.

That sounds like a good deal dude.

But definitely clear that with the girl. So is this girl serious? I'm assuming it is. If it isn't a rent to own deal may not be that bad.

Redrum_69
10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
THeres no such thing as ghosts..

HOWEVER....if you make it over to Lawrence sometime...go check out STULL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31knt3F6irM&feature=related

Skip Towne
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM

There are too ghosts. Don't you remember Ghostof?

Redrum_69
10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy17uhFCowI&feature=related

Frazod
10-24-2009, 11:54 AM

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair.....

Rausch
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair.....

LMAO

KCUnited
10-24-2009, 12:00 PM

ROFL I'm gonna run around with my pants down.

Phobia
10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay, so your poll asks if you should move into a haunted house but the house you keep referencing is not haunted. Are you asking if you should move next door to a haunted house?

What's the problem? Woman logic?

Psyko Tek
10-24-2009, 12:21 PM

they're just kids

turn on nick and the will settle down and watch it

CCU2000
10-24-2009, 12:31 PM

reminds me of a mix of Iraq and Mexico :spock:

Phobia
10-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Okay, here's my total experience on this issue. I bought a house 4 years ago my wife didn't want. It's not haunted but it was distressed and required all of my creativity and labor to make it perfect.

She loves it today.

Show your girl this pad. She knows it. Sit down and talk about the finances. Then go show her what the same money buys in the city. She'll come around to your side.

For the same money, we'd have bought a house half the size 4 years ago. This one is amazingly perfect for us.

Rain Man
10-24-2009, 01:52 PM
You should do it. You only live once.

Maybe that's the wrong expression to use in this case.

In my neighborhood, they lowered the price of the haunted mansion by over $200,000 last month. I looked into it more seriously, and the downside is that the seller says it does indeed have some structural issues with the sandstone that are going to cost $300,000 to fix. If that's accurate, that would put the total price at about $940,000, which is a hella steal for that mansion. Based on that pricing, I would estimate that the pricing adjustment for being haunted must be about 40% since I think the building itself could easily go for about $1.5 million or so.

Based on that pricing, you should be renting the haunted half (if not burned) for about $700 per month. The non-haunted half should be going higher, and I'd think more than half the difference, so the non-haunted half should be between $900 and $950. At $850 you should jump on it.

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Why don't you call Ghostbusters?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pink Paradise 2010
10-24-2009, 09:43 PM
i think that it would be a good experience. if unusual things start to happen, get out.... thats all i can say :) good luck :)