PDA

View Full Version : Football Ways to increase parity.

Rain Man
10-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Okay, the NFL likes parity, and our Chiefs aren't holding up our end of the deal. For that matter, neither are the Raiders, the Lions, the Bills, the Redskins, and several other teams.

So we need some new mid-season rules to help tighten up the non-parity gelatinous blob that has become the NFL. I propose that before every game the NFL looks at the previous 16 game regular-season record of the two teams and determine the difference. For example, if both teams were 10-6, the difference is zero. If one team was 16-0 and the other team was 0-16, the difference would be 16 games.

Based on the differences in place, there would be one new rule put into place for the game. I'll propose a few below, and everyone else can help me fill them in. We'll pick the best and propose this to the NFL. Feel free to think outside the box.

If the difference is....

0 games, there are no new rules in place.
1 game...(propose a new rule)
2 games...field goals for the weaker team are worth 5 points.
3 games...(propose a new rule)
4 games...(propose a new rule)
5 games...(propose a new rule)
6 games...(propose a new rule)
7 games...(propose a new rule)
8 games...(propose a new rule)
9 games...the quarterback of the superior team must attempt every second pass with his "other" hand.
10 games...(propose a new rule)
11 games...(propose a new rule)
12 games...(propose a new rule)
13 games...(propose a new rule)
14 games...the defense of the superior team starts every play on its own goal line.
15 games...(propose a new rule)
16 games...when taking possession of the ball, the weaker team gets to pick which end zone it wishes to move toward.

listopencil
10-25-2009, 07:13 PM
9 games...the quarterback of the superior team must attempt every second pass with his "other" hand.

I can dig it.

Rain Man
10-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I'll keep trying, because I think the NFL would like this.

If the difference is four games, the weaker team's left tackle is allowed to hold on passing plays.

SNR
10-26-2009, 01:14 AM
This kind of goes against your system, but I think if the difference is 16 games, then the 0-16 team should have to play the entire first half in dresses. Including the coach.

Taco John
10-26-2009, 01:15 AM
This is communism.

Short Leash Hootie
10-26-2009, 01:17 AM
This is the first time in years the NFL has really been more like the NBA...there are 5 or 6 contenders, a few pretenders, and a lot of shitty, shitty teams.

tk13
10-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I think this year has the most parity in a while. Just because the Pats, Colts, and Steelers don't look quite head and shoulders above everyone else. There are 8-10 teams you could legitimately see getting to the Super Bowl. Although they're all starting to look pretty strong now that we're past the first few weeks. And then you consider the Broncos are undefeated too, those have been the four most dominant teams the last 15 years, or basically the salary cap era.

Despite the salary cap and all that, really if you look at the AFC it's always the same teams. The Pats, Colts, and Steelers make up almost all the AFC titles this decade, and a good chunk of the AFC title game appearances. And they very well might do it again this year. The Colts, Pats, Steelers and Broncos have 11 of the 14 AFC titles going back to 95. And they have 18 of the 28 conference title game appearances.