PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel Is Failing Chiefs

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/912917.html

It’s easy to blame the Chiefs’ terrible pass defense or rotten, handicapped offensive line play for Sunday’s 37-7 blowout at the hands of the San Diego Chargers. But you can do that every week. At some point you have to call out the highest-paid player, so it’s time to lay it at the feet of Matt Cassel.

There’s no question Cassel shares some of the blame for the Chiefs’ 1-6 start. He blew a game against the Oakland Raiders in Week 2 but it was nothing compared to what transpired inside a soggy Arrowhead Stadium Sunday. The Chiefs had 19 net passing yards and zero passing first downs at halftime against the Chargers, and even that total was “inflated” by a two-minute drill. At one point, Cassel had dropped back to pass eight times and completed one pass for a grand total of two net yards.

When it was all over, Kansas City had only three passing first downs despite Cassel’s 25 attempts. His 25.3 quarterback rating, a horrifying statistic in a vacuum, appears even more revolting when you consider that it was the lowest rating a Chiefs’ starter has posted since Tyler Thigpen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4583398) melted down in Atlanta a year ago.

Yes, we’re now revisiting a level of incompetence from KC’s passing game that we haven’t seen since Herm Edwards was trying to save his job by throwing Thigpen to the wolves.

Sunday’s game was that bad. The Chiefs appeared to be a team that cannot field even an average passing attack, and this came at home against a San Diego team with a mediocre secondary and a terrible pass rush. I’m not sure Shaw-knee Merriman touched Cassel, but it really didn’t matter.

As soon as his pocket became congested against the Chargers, Cassel looked lost. The play was dead. And when Cassel did throw, the results were less than inspiring. Specifically, his accuracy hit the bottom of the barrel against the Chargers.

In the second quarter, Cassel threw an awful pass that was intended for newly-activated wide receiver Lance Long (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249493). It was underthrown and nearly intercepted. On the next play, Long got a step deep on his coverage, but once again the pass was underthrown and Long was forced to reach back awkwardly in a failed attempt to catch it.

Were they difficult throws? Sure. But Cassel is the highest-paid Chief. He’s supposed to be a difference maker. He failed to make a difference. The Chiefs, already down 14-0 at that point, couldn’t really afford to punt again, but had to because they simply couldn’t move the ball through the air. At all.

A few plays later, Cassel badly skipped a ball to a wide-open Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307406), who would have picked up a first down. It wasn’t a difficult throw, and Cassel had a perfect pocket to pass from. He just dumped the ball right in the dirt. Is there really any excuse for that from the highest-paid Chief?

But what really stings is, at one point, Kansas City had a chance to get back in the ball game. They were down 13 points, had been out-gained 2-to-1, and Arrowhead Stadium was a drippy, depressing, scene. But on their first possession of the third quarter, the Chiefs had scored, then KC’s defense had stuffed San Diego’s offense, and all the momentum was on Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794)’s side.

It was at that point that he dropped back to throw, stepped up and heaved one of those long, graceful, arcing spirals you always see in slow motion on NFL Films highlights. For a brief second, Chiefs fans may have seen Jamaal Charles (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307409) breaking open, seen the ball sailing through the air and thought – this is it! Matt Cassel is about to throw a 65-yard touchdown pass, no one can run down Charles, and this place is about to go crazy! We’re back in this game!

And then the pass fluttered off to the right as Charles made a hopeless stab at an over-the-shoulder miracle catch. The ball thumped into the wet grass and slipped away, just like the opportunity.

Cassel blew it, and he blew the next play when he badly overthrew a wide, wide open Bobby Wade streaking down the right sideline for what was, at least, a 20-yard gain and potentially a touchdown. The pass wasn’t even close. Wade would have needed a last-second gust of hurricane-force wind to catch up to it.

And that was it. On third and long, Cassel scrambled for two meaningless yards, the Chiefs punted, the Chargers torched KC’s defense for another long touchdown. Game over.

The Chiefs had missed their window of opportunity to get back in the game. When you’re a 1-6 team, those chances don’t come along that often. The highest-paid player on the team has to seize the moment. Matt Cassel failed to do that, and right now he is failing the Chiefs. His performance Sunday was as bad as anything we saw from Thigpen a year ago, and could have been worse. Cassel’s three interceptions could have easily been five. If Bowe doesn’t make a sensational play on the end-zone boundary, the Chiefs don’t even score.

Chiefs fans love to laugh at Oakland’s JaMarcus Russell (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249031), who is completing only 45.6 percent of his passes. But Cassel is now keeping him company, just four spots above at 54.8 percent. Cassel is 34th in the NFL in yards per attempt (note that there are only 32 starting quarterbacks) and the Chiefs have the league’s worst third-down conversion rate.

Are the questions that arose around Cassel last season in New England still an issue? It’s hard to argue otherwise. The Patriots had a woeful deep passing game a year ago and Sunday, Charles might as well have been Randy Moss (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4309679) getting wide open down the field only to watch the ball sail over his head. There are no shortage of plays where Cassel holds onto the ball and takes a sack, and at this rate, after taking 47 sacks with the Patriots and already another 23 this season, he may wind up as the most-sacked quarterback in the league over the last two seasons. These are not trends that should be ignored.

The saddest part may be that at times, Cassel actually shows signs of being the franchise quarterback he’s paid to be. Sunday, he made a spectacular throw to Long that would have gone for a touchdown had it not been dropped. He threw gorgeous passes to Bowe for clutch, game-tying touchdowns against the Raiders and Cowboys. He has protected the ball well, been a good teammate, played with heart and determination and said all the right things.

But the Chiefs are 1-6, have one of the league’s worst passing games, and here we are comparing Cassel to Thigpen and Russell. After Sunday, it’s hard to argue he hasn’t been a giant disappointment. The Chiefs had a chance, if only for the briefest of moments, and Cassel failed them. His contract demands success.

Bane
10-25-2009, 07:37 PM
I hate it for him I really do.Even as much as I cant stand him,he wasn't dealt a very good hand here in KC.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh Bullfuck. He was dealt a 60 million dollar hand before he'd shown anything. He's the last guy in the world who gets to bitch about anything, especially given the fact that he made his entire contract on the YAC of Welker and Moss because he can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field with any accuracy.

KCinNY
10-25-2009, 07:44 PM
he can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field with any accuracy.

This is the most troubling part about Cassel, IMO.

I still can't believe that deep ball to a wide open Charles that fell two yards out of bounds.

the Talking Can
10-25-2009, 07:46 PM
i like cassel, and this team really sucks, but he can't play that way...accuracy is a minimal requirement and he blew it

MGRS13
10-25-2009, 07:46 PM
go chiefs I told you after the raider game this guy wasn't the answer and you told me I was wrong. I can't wait till next week when you write a column about how LJ is beginning to lose a step. Welcome to 6 weeks ago.

stevieray
10-25-2009, 07:48 PM
he is mitch's guest tomorrow..I predict a "hang in there, we're gona get this turned around" show.

KCChiefsFan88
10-25-2009, 07:49 PM
It is impossible to judge Cassel until he has a halfway decent offensive line, some WRs to throw to and a competent offensive coordinator

Count Zarth
he is mitch's guest tomorrow...

He should spend the week in solitary confinement with Haley and game tape.

Count Zarth
It is impossible to judge Cassel until he has a halfway decent offensive line, some WRs to throw to and a competent offensive coordinator

He had halfway decent protection on several throws and blew them. Horribly.

Hold him accountable.

MGRS13
10-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Hold him accountable.

I agree now hold LJ and Brown accountable for their horrible play.

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 08:08 PM

They are not key players. No one really cares.

Mecca
10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Cassel is just wildly inaccurate down the field, he had the problem in NE and it's still with him. His other problem is when he hits his back foot on his drop if his first read isn't open his first instinct is to start moving. He never just drops back and progresses through his reads without running around even when he has a good pocket he does it.

MGRS13
10-25-2009, 08:13 PM
They are not key players. No one really cares.
LJ is not a key player? Do you say this shit before you type it? You are an amazing idiot.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 08:15 PM

This whole team needs to be held accountable... Cassel included, they all suck at this point

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Cassel is just wildly inaccurate down the field, he had the problem in NE and it's still with him. His other problem is when he hits his back foot on his drop if his first read isn't open his first instinct is to start moving. He never just drops back and progresses through his reads without running around even when he has a good pocket he does it.

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1340551_lalalalalala.gif

milkman
10-25-2009, 08:16 PM
LJ is not a key player? Do you say this shit before you type it? You are an amazing idiot.

Welcome to 6 years ago.

Mr. Laz
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Cassel has been scared to death ever since he got hurt.

He is so scared that is footwork is crap and about 2 seconds after every snap he stops looking down field and starts looking for a place to hide.

Mojo Jojo
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Did Nick write this? Because whoever wrote this needs to know that it is "Passer Rating" NOT "Quarterback Rating."
So much for being a legit media source. Get the simple terms correct.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Cassel has been scared to death ever since he got hurt.

He is so scared that is footwork is crap and about 2 seconds after every snap he stops looking down field and starts looking for a place to hide.

This... it's almost like the Damon Huard fetal position only a little more active

DJ's left nut
10-25-2009, 08:24 PM

DAMMIT!!!!

No it isn't!

He had an all-world WR corps and a great line in NE and he STILL couldn't throw downfield. I'm not even talking deep balls, I'm talking simple 15-20 yard patterns. He wasn't even strong on intermediate routes.

Why do people act like he just materialized from the ether? Matt Cassel played football last year and anyone that watched those games realized that he wasn't an accurate passer, especially so on anything beyond 10 yards. He had great WRs that could go get the ball and they made him look decent.

He will never be an accurate passer. He is what NE knew he was - a backup QB.

DeezNutz
10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
DAMMIT!!!!

No it isn't!

He had an all-world WR corps and a great line in NE and he STILL couldn't throw downfield. I'm not even talking deep balls, I'm talking simple 15-20 yard patterns. He wasn't even strong on intermediate routes.

Why do people act like he just materialized from the ether? Matt Cassel played football last year and anyone that watched those games realized that he wasn't an accurate passer, especially so on anything beyond 10 yards. He had great WRs that could go get the ball and they made him look decent.

Then why did Pioli and that douche in Denver want him?!? lalalalalalalalalalal

milkman
10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
DAMMIT!!!!

No it isn't!

He had an all-world WR corps and a great line in NE and he STILL couldn't throw downfield. I'm not even talking deep balls, I'm talking simple 15-20 yard patterns.

Why do people act like he just materialized from the ether? Matt Cassel played football last year and anyone that watched those games realized that he wasn't an accurate passer. He had great WRs that could go get the ball and they made him look decent.

That's not true.

Cassel, after he became more comfortable in the offense, the one that was adjusted to his skillset, was far more accurate than people ar giving him credit for on short to intemediate routes.

But the problem is, much like Thigpen, he only really played well when they put him in the shotgun/spread for the majority of snaps.

That same problem still exists.

craneref
10-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I am not sure which pisses me off more, Cassel missing WIDE open receivers, or wide oepn receivers "BOWE" dropping passes that hit them right in the hands. I think we call this the perfect storm...perfectly terrible. I was too disgusted to yell at the TV, and thathas to be pretty disgusting for me NOT to yell at the Chiefs on TV!!:cuss:

Deberg_1990
10-25-2009, 08:28 PM
How long until we hear the "Start Croyle Again" movement?

Frankie
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh Bull****. He was dealt a 60 million dollar hand before he'd shown anything.

Hey, guys. Cassel gets $60,000,000. Let's not even line up 5 fat guys in front of him. He should still win every game 45-7. :shake:

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM

yeah let's start Croyle... everyone knows we are just a good QB away from being a playoff team ROFL

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Define "pocket." Today was one of the first days I've seen a pocket to step into. And on most plays when a pocket formed, he did a real good job of stepping into it. There usually isn't a pocket because the blockers do such a poor job that there's a logjam in the middle. In the first half, about 75% of the snaps he was moving out of necessity, not out of panic. His offensive line protection was apalling.

In the second half, he had protection, he had a pocket, he made good reads, he was just inaccurate and misfiring. That's not encouraging. But that's an entirely different issue from the token claim people keep bringing up that he holds on to the ball too long and has lousy pocket presence or that he assumes the fetal position at the first hint of pressure. You can't blame a QB when your offensive line gives you no options to move.

Mojo Jojo
10-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Halftime of week two.:D

Mecca
10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't really think there's much argument about his holding of the ball and his taking to many sacks those are obvious.

stormtrooper
10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
eat a dick cassel hater you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't really think there's much argument about his holding of the ball and his taking to many sacks those are obvious.

It's a retarded argument. In the first half, the ball was out within 3 seconds. If it wasn't out, it was because he was flushed by a defender within those 3 seconds.

It's an argument that people keep rattling off because they heard somebody else say it.

The accuracy issues are an issue. Claiming that a QB who doesn't have enough time to hold onto the ball too long holds the ball too long is ridiculous.

track
10-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Maybe our recievers can't get separation in 3 seconds.

Mecca
10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Maybe our recievers can't get separation in 3 seconds.

When they do he misses them just look at today.

milkman
10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
It's a retarded argument. In the first half, the ball was out within 3 seconds. If it wasn't out, it was because he was flushed by a defender within those 3 seconds.

It's an argument that people keep rattling off because they heard somebody else say it.

The accuracy issues are an issue. Claiming that a QB who doesn't have enough time to hold onto the ball too long holds the ball too long is ridiculous.

Zilla, you might be the greatest excuse maker ever.

I hope to hell you're in public relations.

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Where's SAUTO? Where is that little shit?

I can't WAIT to hear his fucking take on this article.

"Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala"

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
yay Cassel sucks... Let's all celebrate cause we were right!!!!!1111eleventy!!!!111

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Zilla, you might be the greatest excuse maker ever.

I hope to hell you're in public relations.

I never made excuses for his inaccuracy today. When he had consistent protection and he can step into his throws, there's no excuse for missing. And yes, I'm concerned about it.

But people who claim he's had good protection are being retarded. When your argument is that he should convert on the 3 out of 10 passes where he has a clean pocket, you know you have an o-line problem.

Please do me a favor and watch the first half. And count how long it takes for some defender to completely disrupt his pocket. It's within 2-3 seconds on about 75% of the plays. The remaining 25% of the plays, the ball was generally out within 3 seconds.

Holding on to the ball too long and inaccuracy are two completely separate issues.

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 08:47 PM
yay Cassel sucks... Let's all celebrate cause we were right!!!!!1111eleventy!!!!111

Well, seeing as how we can't even BEGIN to compete for the division much less a wild card; I'll take it!

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!TWENTY-ELEVENTYBILLION-MILLION!!!!!!1111!!!!!@!

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, seeing as how we can't even BEGIN to compete for the division much less a wild card; I'll take it!

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!TWENTY-ELEVENTYBILLION-MILLION!!!!!!1111!!!!!@!

and we would be competing with anyone else at QB? I'm sorry this team just sucks too bad to be pinning it all on the QB....... he needs to play better no excuses but so does everyone else

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
and we would be competing with anyone else at QB? I'm sorry this team just sucks too bad to be pinning it all on the QB....... he needs to play better no excuses but so does everyone else

Come on, WT; say the name. You know you want to say it. Let that straw man fall from your lips to the keyboard and out to teh intrawebs FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE!

LMAO

tyler360
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I went to the game today and sat in the rain for the whole game. Cassel to me just does not look like he has the "it" factor. He missed so many open recievers today. It just really bugs me how he can be so bad game after game after game like this.

LaChapelle
10-25-2009, 09:09 PM
They'll break out the Cassel roll against the Jags.

Tribal Warfare
10-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Shit, I'm already there

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I went to the game today and sat in the rain for the whole game. Cassel to me just does not look like he has the "it" factor. He missed so many open recievers today. It just really bugs me how he can be so bad game after game after game like this.

I can imagine that watching this guy play from the stands with a good view of the entire field would be enough to make ones head explode.

tyler360
10-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I can imagine that watching this guy play from the stands with a good view of the entire field would be enough to make ones head explode.

The only reason it did not explode was because of the rain. His reads are just as bad as a rookie

smittysbar
10-25-2009, 09:18 PM

He held onto it it to long last year also, sure you have an excuse for that as well :spock:

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
The only reason it did not explode was because of the rain. His reads are just as bad as a rookie

LMAO

Here, you need a General Piolio's Fried Chicken Nappy Meal; works every time!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nqQTLgo_idc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nqQTLgo_idc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

luv
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM

But it's NEVER his fault.

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 09:33 PM
He held onto it it to long last year also, sure you have an excuse for that as well :spock:

Because you keep saying "as well." It's not a fucking issue this year. You're basically recycling an argument you heard somebody else used and you're ignoring the piles of evidence that show otherwise.

luv
10-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Because you keep saying "as well." It's not a fucking issue this year. You're basically recycling an argument you heard somebody else used and you're ignoring the piles of evidence that show otherwise.

That he holds onto the ball when he should throw it away, or that he can't hit a receiver?

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
That he holds onto the ball when he should throw it away, or that he can't hit a receiver?

I've said that his inability to hit an open receiver is a problem.

Holding on to the ball is NOT a problem. And in most cases, he can't throw the ball away because there is usually a pass rusher surrounding him in all directions. For as much shit as he takes for taking the fetal position, when you're surrounded, the only thing you can do is protect the ball. Unless people are recommending he move backward and take a 10-yard bigger loss.

luv
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I've said that his inability to hit an open receiver is a problem.

Holding on to the ball is NOT a problem. And in most cases, he can't throw the ball away because there is usually a pass rusher surrounding him in all directions. For as much shit as he takes for taking the fetal position, when you're surrounded, the only thing you can do is protect the ball. Unless people are recommending he move backward and take a 10-yard bigger loss.

Okay. He's played 6 games this year. At what point do we start looking at other options?

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Complete the following sentences:

A _____ fell from a tree in the fall.

The Who broadcast a "farewell concert" in the early 80's from Toronto's Maple _____ Gardens.

I was raking my lawn, but I missed one single _____ that got caught in the sidewalk crack.

:D

TRR
10-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Jay Cutler threw 3 INT's today and the Bears got crushed by the Bungles....does this mean that Cutler is terrible too?

This Cassel hate is ridiculous. He had a bad game...move on. The whole team sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Okay. He's played 6 games this year. At what point do we start looking at other options?

If that option was on the roster, that'd be one thing. But it's not. Croyle could be a good QB but you can't count on him to play a healthy 16 games.

I don't know the answer to this. Unfortunately, I don't think you get much more options after this season either. No QBs on the open market and probably the worst QB class in the history of the draft. I think the best you can do is just surround him with better players in 2010 and see if that makes a difference. If he's not good then, then you have a 2011 draft class that could have two outstanding QBs that are legit top 5 picks.

Mecca
10-25-2009, 09:50 PM

It's not going to happen, that's Pioli's boy. They are tied, Cassel is starting for the next 3-4 years regardless of how bad he is.

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I think the best you can do is just surround him with better players in 2010 and see if that makes a difference. If he's not good then, then you have a 2011 draft class that could have two outstanding QBs that are legit top 5 picks.

Ah...dare to dream.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Jay Cutler threw 3 INT's today and the Bears got crushed by the Bungles....does this mean that Cutler is terrible too?

This Cassel hate is ridiculous. He had a bad game...move on. The whole team sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you joking?

Cutler fucking sucks ass. I've been saying this for YEARS. Unlike all the other asswipes that thought Denver would fail without him, I've stated all along they'd be further ahead as a team with him gone.

Denver's 6-0. Chicago's 3-3.

BTW, Cutler hasn't QB'd a winning team since HIGH SCHOOL.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

This..... he's played 6 games for probably the least talented team in NFL history... shit even the best QB's in the NFL need some help... anyone who claims it's all his fault is a fucking moron

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Did Nick write this? Because whoever wrote this needs to know that it is "Passer Rating" NOT "Quarterback Rating."

Mojo, you sure say some silly things sometimes.

Even the NFL's official site refers to it as a quarterback rating.

http://www.nfl.com/help/quarterbackratingformula

But really...it's irrelevant. Silly mojo.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Ah...dare to dream.

yes I often dream that my teams QB sucks ass cause yeah that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

TRR
10-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you joking?

Cutler fucking sucks ass. I've been saying this for YEARS. Unlike all the other asswipes that thought Denver would fail without him, I've stated all along they'd be further ahead as a team with him gone.

Denver's 6-0. Chicago's 3-3.

BTW, Cutler hasn't QB'd a winning team since HIGH SCHOOL.

LOL! You are moron! Yea Cutler is horrible. He and Cassel shouldn't even be in the NFL. Players like Kyle Orton are who you build a franchise around without a doubt.

Do me a favor...stab yourself in the face.
Posted via Mobile Device

smittysbar
10-25-2009, 09:56 PM

I watch the games, I'm not recycling shit. HE HOLDS THE BALL TO LONG. He did it last year, and he does it this year. Yes he is pressured on some plays but on others he has time and holds onto it.

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
yes I often dream that my teams QB sucks ass cause yeah that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

I was dreaming that the Chiefs might dare to go against Zeus and DRAFT A FUCKING QUARTERBACK FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE EARLY 80'S.

You know, that thing WINNING teams do? Yeah, THAT one.

Mecca
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Jay Cutler has a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head, there's no other way to put it.

People will drool over the natural talent but I'm not sure you'll ever win with a guy like that..Cassel doesn't even have that kind of natural talent not even close.

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I watch the games, I'm not recycling shit. HE HOLDS THE BALL TO LONG. He did it last year, and he does it this year. Yes he is pressured on some plays but on others he has time and holds onto it.

Then you have an unrealistic expectation of what "holding the ball too long" is. I think it's safe to say that well over half of the pass plays this season had a pocket disrupted within 3 seconds of the snap. That is an insanely ridiculous expectation for a QB.

Yes, there are times when he doesn't get rid of the ball sooner. But that's ridiculous to expect a QB to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds on 100% of the snaps. I don't think he holds on to the ball any longer than say a Kurt Warner or an Eli Manning. Or especially a Ben Roethlisberger.

Mecca
10-25-2009, 10:02 PM
You know what bugs the shit out of me, does Matt Cassel want to do a favor for new guys or something?

Bobby Wade signs and Cassel throws it to him a shit ton, today Lance Long plays and Cassel just keeps trying to feed him the ball. How about you feed that guy named Dwayne Bowe?

Mecca
10-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Then you have an unrealistic expectation of what "holding the ball too long" is. I think it's safe to say that well over half of the pass plays this season had a pocket disrupted within 3 seconds of the snap. That is an insanely ridiculous expectation for a QB.

Yes, there are times when he doesn't get rid of the ball sooner. But that's ridiculous to expect a QB to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds on 100% of the snaps. I don't think he holds on to the ball any longer than say a Kurt Warner or an Eli Manning. Or especially a Ben Roethlisberger.

When I see a guy literally hit Cassel and bounce off like I've seen with Roethlisberger I'll let it slide.

luv
10-25-2009, 10:03 PM
You know what bugs the shit out of me, does Matt Cassel want to do a favor for new guys or something?

Bobby Wade signs and Cassel throws it to him a shit ton, today Lance Long plays and Cassel just keeps trying to feed him the ball. How about you feed that guy named Dwayne Bowe?

Who's calling the plays?

Mecca
10-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Who's calling the plays?

Regardless of the playcalls, Cassel is making the call on where to go with the ball unless they are calling plays where Bowe is literally the last read.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I was dreaming that the Chiefs might dare to go against Zeus and DRAFT A ****ING QUARTERBACK FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE EARLY 80'S.

You know, that thing WINNING teams do? Yeah, THAT one.

yeah that didn't happen so get the fuck over it..... I wanted them to draft a QB too but that didn't happen,I however don't use it as a reason to constantly bitch and piss and moan about every little thing Pioli, Haley and Cassel do... shit people bitch about the homers and the do no wrong attitude... I almost think the whole sandy vagina attitude toward every little thing that the new regime does is just as ridiculous

chiefs1111
10-25-2009, 10:05 PM

He is the Chiefs best threat on offense and yet they don't come close to getting him the ball enough. I just don't get it. also Charles needs to be getting more touches as well.

Mecca
10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Todd Haley better figure it out because if someone is going to go Haley will go before Cassel does.

luv
10-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Todd Haley better figure it out because if someone is going to go Haley will go before Cassel does.

Kinda what I'm thinking.

tyler360
10-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

At least culter has a ton of talent. Cassel does not and he has yet to have a good game. When a player is paid the big bucks it is not unreasonable to expect better than dog shit performance from him

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:10 PM
If Haley can figure out anything with this pile of shit team then he deserves a fucking monument built in his image

chiefs1111
I also hope like hell the Chiefs find a good offensive coordinator in the off season

Coach

There were a few people chanting "Brodie! Brodie! Brodie!" but it wasn't very loud.

Mojo Jojo
10-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Mojo, you sure say some silly things sometimes.

Even the NFL's official site refers to it as a quarterback rating.

http://www.nfl.com/help/quarterbackratingformula

But really...it's irrelevant. Silly mojo.

Did you read it...If not here it is...
The NFL rates its passers for statistical purposes against a fixed performance standard based on statistical achievements of all qualified pro passers since 1960. The current system replaced one that rated passers in relation to their position in a total group based on various criteria.

The current system, which was adopted in 1973, removes inequities that existed in the former method and, at the same time, provides a means of comparing passing performances from one season to the next.

It is important to remember that the system is used to rate pass-ers, not quarterbacks. Statistics do not reflect leadership, play-calling, and other intangible factors that go into making a successful professional quarterback.

So, according to your link the stat rates passers not quarterbacks.

And yes, I am being a smart ass. I still have the footage of Nick sleeping in DV's press conference and the Chiefs PR people waking him up to go get the free lunch.:D

tyler360
10-25-2009, 10:13 PM
There were a few people chanting "Brodie! Brodie! Brodie!" but it wasn't very loud.

An amazingly drunk guy in my section was yelling for Hailey to punt it on the 4th down attempt. That is sad when a plastered idiot fan knows to make the right call and your head coach does not

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:13 PM
At least culter has a ton of talent. Cassel does not and he has yet to have a good game. When a player is paid the big bucks it is not unreasonable to expect better than dog shit performance from him

yeah cause this team would be awesome with a really talented QB right now right? he's played bad but it's not all on him they are all overpaid for how they are performing... except maybe Succop

Mecca
10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Lets put it this way, for what Cassel makes if he keeps playing like this he's going to get Haley fired.

tyler360
10-25-2009, 10:17 PM
yeah cause this team would be awesome with a really talented QB right now right? he's played bad but it's not all on him they are all overpaid for how they are performing... except maybe Succop

The reason I say that is because the organization has hitched its wagon onto Cassel and said he is our Franchise guy. Franchise guys do not play the way Cassel has so far this season

Mecca
10-25-2009, 10:18 PM
The reason I say that is because the organization has hitched its wagon onto Cassel and said he is our Franchise guy. Franchise guys do not play the way Cassel has so far this season

Not when they're 27 anyway.

DeezNutz
10-25-2009, 10:20 PM

He's not a franchise guy.

He's just a guy. A very pedestrian guy who happens to make a lot of money and will be another name that we rattle off in a few years when remembering the list of has-beens and never-weres that were trotted out as starting QBs for this franchise.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Lets put it this way, for what Cassel makes if he keeps playing like this he's going to get Haley fired.

The whole team played like dog shit..... I fail to see how this is some great indictment on Cassel... this team is terrible not an excuse just a fact, honestly I expected his struggling, no o-line, one good but inconsistent WR, and no running game not to mention a brand new offense a week before the season... anyone who expected him to thrive under those circumstances need their heads checked... is he the answer at QB? who knows but it's tough to judge either way based on the start of this season, If Pioli really wants him to be the guy he needs to put him in a situation where he can thrive and he is not even close to that right now

PlasticMan
10-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I remember seeing Matt throw a pretty good pass down field last year that beat us in week one

tyler360
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM

He's just a guy. A very pedestrian guy who happens to make a lot of money and will be another name that we rattle off in a few years when remembering the list of has-beens and never-weres that were trotted out as starting QBs for this franchise.

Sadly you are right after today's game i really think we got Damon Huard 2.0. The much more expensive version.

wild1
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
It's only one game. This one was a good deal below the level he's played at for the rest of the season.

Pioli Zombie
10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I did some chores. Watched some football. Watched some baseball. And you people are still acting like its 9/11 or something because your 2-14 team is 1-6. Exactly what everybody said they'd be. You've been bitching and moaning for 8 hours. Its football. Try to enjoy yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
It's only one game. This one was a good deal below the level he's played at for the rest of the season.

He was mediocre in the other games...maybe a game or two above average.

So when he lays a turd against a shitty defense at HOME...enough is enough.

And this is coming from someone who has been positive where Matt Cassel is concerned all year long.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:30 PM

Nobody knows that he is or he isn't he's played 6 games for this franchise with one of the worst rosters ever. I would like to see what he does on this team with some talent if we ever get any :rolleyes:

Pink Paradise 2010
10-25-2009, 10:30 PM
its not just our passing. its due to our bad offensive line and our defense. we cant get pressure at all !!!! it sucks

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
I did some chores. Watched some football. Watched some baseball. And you people are still acting like its 9/11 or something because your 2-14 team is 1-6. Exactly what everybody said they'd be. You've been bitching and moaning for 8 hours. Its football. Try to enjoy yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually I think a lot of people expect Cassel to play much better than he showed today.

This team could be 3-4 if Cassel has raised his level of play to match his bank account.

wild1
10-25-2009, 10:32 PM

And this is coming from someone who has been positive where Matt Cassel is concerned all year long.

It's funny how you run every excuse in the book out for Larry Johnson, but Matt Cassel - you expect him to perform like a pro bowler no matter what.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:32 PM

San Diego has a pretty talented Defense.... and had he played well we still would have gotten our asses handed to us by a vastly superior team.... yep he's not great by week 6 he sucks... but LJ man just give him more time and blocking right?

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
It's funny how you run every excuse in the book out for Larry Johnson, but Matt Cassel - you expect him to perform like a pro bowler no matter what.

I don't really. With this OL and receivers, I expect Cassel to be above average at best. But I do expect him to hit open receivers when he has time to step into throws. You should expect that from any competent quarterback.

And they are two different positions.

What Cassel did today would be like Larry missing gaping holes on half his handoffs and fumbling three times.

stevieray
10-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Cassel's career in KC has just started...false expectations can't and won't define it six games.

Demonpenz
10-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Cassel's career in KC has just started...false expectations can't and won't define it six games.

throw the ball to the open player.

DeezNutz
10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
throw the ball to the open player.

This post overshot the mark. Missed a wide open opportunity.

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 10:56 PM
This post overshot the mark. Missed a wide open opportunity.

Demonpenz is failing Chiefsplanet.

Discuss Thrower
10-25-2009, 10:58 PM

But has he lost his burst?

stevieray
10-25-2009, 10:59 PM
ya, especially for the kind of rep he makes...I was expecting a frozen rope to the side of the head...

DeezNutz
10-25-2009, 11:00 PM

His prose style went full Huard.

Micjones
10-25-2009, 11:05 PM

He did that on the Bowe TD yesterday.
His first read wasn't open, he stood tall in the pocket, turned and fired a pass for #82...6 points.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:09 PM
His first read wasn't open, he stood tall in the pocket, turned and fired a pass for #82...6 points.

He's made some nice throws but he has been madly inconsistent he does seem to do better when the offense is in a quick rhythm tho IMO ....

Micjones
10-25-2009, 11:21 PM
He's made some nice throws but he has been madly inconsistent he does seem to do better when the offense is in a quick rhythm tho IMO ....

I'm not suggesting that he's a world-beater.
I said, myself, earlier today that he cost us 6 points on two separate wayward throws...

I don't know... I guess I'm just the kind of guy to give criticism AND credit where it's due.

DeezNutz
10-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Good point.

And since I've criticized the man a ton today: the throw to Long was just perfect. High-quality NFL throw and one that a guy like Thigpen never makes.

Too bad that Matt Cassel lays dormant most of the time.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm not suggesting that he's a world-beater.
I said, myself, earlier today that he cost us 6 points on two separate wayward throws...

I don't know... I guess I'm just the kind of guy to give criticism AND credit where it's due.

same here.... rep... I'm just not ready to call him shit after 6 games

Count Zarth
10-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Good point.

And since I've criticized the man a ton today: the throw to Long was just perfect. High-quality NFL throw and one that a guy like Thigpen never makes.

I see things like that and wonder if an offseason in the same offense with the same receivers won't develop more consistency.

Here's hopin'

Micjones
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Good point.

Yep, the throw to Long was right on the money as well.
Several of his throws were today. But when you leave points on the board because you missed a wide open receiver fans forget the good ones. And I honestly can't say that I blame them.

blazzin311
10-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed. :thumb:

This..... he's played 6 games for probably the least talented team in NFL history... shit even the best QB's in the NFL need some help... anyone who claims it's all his fault is a ****ing moron

Nobody knows that he is or he isn't he's played 6 games for this franchise with one of the worst rosters ever. I would like to see what he does on this team with some talent if we ever get any :rolleyes:

I agree with this too. It is unfair to have high expectations of Cassel or judge him with the lack of talent overall on this roster. Give it a year or two folks. It's really our only option at this point.

The whole team played like dog shit..... I fail to see how this is some great indictment on Cassel... this team is terrible not an excuse just a fact, honestly I expected his struggling, no o-line, one good but inconsistent WR, and no running game not to mention a brand new offense a week before the season... anyone who expected him to thrive under those circumstances need their heads checked... is he the answer at QB? who knows but it's tough to judge either way based on the start of this season, If Pioli really wants him to be the guy he needs to put him in a situation where he can thrive and he is not even close to that right now

I agree with ya here. Now if the Chiefs have not made some serious improvments by this time next year then I'm going to be concerned. But anyone who expected the Chiefs to even be a halfway decent team this year was kidding themselves. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Actually I think a lot of people expect Cassel to play much better than he showed today.

This team could be 3-4 if Cassel has raised his level of play to match his bank account.

I don't know if the Chiefs would be 3-4 or not. Fact is no one really knows for sure. I do agree with you that there is plenty of room for improvement both from Cassel and from every other area of the the Chiefs football team. There's just not enough talent on this ball club yet plain and simple.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I see things like that and wonder if an offseason in the same offense with the same receivers won't develop more consistency.

Here's hopin'

They need to develop the offense around his strengths... he needs to be the identity of the offense.... and IMO he is at his best in a quick up tempo offense...

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah that didn't happen so get the fuck over it..... I wanted them to draft a QB too but that didn't happen,I however don't use it as a reason to constantly bitch and piss and moan about every little thing Pioli, Haley and Cassel do... shit people bitch about the homers and the do no wrong attitude... I almost think the whole sandy vagina attitude toward every little thing that the new regime does is just as ridiculous

I was speaking in future-tense, you cheeky little monkey. And by the by, I believe I'll enjoy fandom on MY fucking terms, thank you very much.
When a million fools rush to proclaim the Headmaster of this porta-potty a "genius", I'll be there to remind them of the error of their ways.
I'm consistent like that.

They need to develop the offense around his strengths... he needs to be the identity of the offense.... and IMO he is at his best in a quick up tempo offense...

Like...like...THIGGY!

WOOT! ELEVENTY BILLION!!!1111!!!!!

Dear GM,

Field a fucking football team, you cannoli-eating fuck.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I was speaking in future-tense, you cheeky little monkey. And by the by, I believe I'll enjoy fandom on MY ****ing terms, thank you very much.
When a million fools rush to proclaim the Headmaster of this porta-potty a "genius", I'll be there to remind them of the error of their ways.

Like...like...Thigpen!

Dear GM,

Field a ****ing football team, you cannoli-eating ****.

no I never said spread..... The Pats have been quite good over the years running that style of offense even before Moss and Welker...

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I was speaking in future-tense, you cheeky little monkey. And by the by, I believe I'll enjoy fandom on MY ****ing terms, thank you very much.

Like...like...Thigpen!

Dear GM,

Field a ****ing football team, you cannoli-eating ****.

Nobody is calling him a genious :) some would like to let things play out a little bit before he gets proclaimed one way or the other

blazzin311
10-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Nobody is calling him a genious :) some would like to let things play out a little bit before he gets proclaimed one way or the other

Exactly. I don't see why this is so hard for everyone to understand. I suppose the fact that for the past 3yrs. that's all the Chiefs have done is lose. I don't think it would matter much right now if somebody like Cowher was the Chiefs coach and they were 1-6. There would probably still be people crucifying the coaching and the front office.

Raised On Riots
10-25-2009, 11:51 PM

If he fields a sub-.500 next year, there's going to be trouble in River City big-time.

He better get his ass to work in this coming off season, and shine like the top of the Chrysler Building.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:54 PM
If he fields a sub-.500 next year, there's going to be trouble in River City big-time.

He better get his ass to work in this coming off season, and shine like the top of the Chrysler Building.

I agree.... there is no excuse for this team to not be competitive next year...

L.A. Chieffan
10-26-2009, 12:04 AM
if we're talking about players salaries in relation to their poor performance, LJ would be at the top of the list

Mile High Mania
10-26-2009, 04:27 AM
I did not watch the game, wasn't playing locally... but based on footage I did see and things I just know... the QB is not the weak link of the team. The WRs and TEs are average or below. The Oline is patch-work and the ground game is void of everything you want from a ground game. So, it's all the fault of the QB? Doesn't add up to me.

CrazyHorse
10-26-2009, 06:30 AM
I blame Larry Johnson. Every game is a shitty game for Johnson.:evil:

Till we can run the ball, it's just gonna be more of the same every week. Cassel will continue to struggle until he feels some confidence in his O line and we can run the ball.

Till then it's a jail break for the QB on every play. Timing patterns? Forget about it.

Oh yeah, and the defense sucks.

Another poorly thought out article. More like head hunting. Why dont you just quit trying instead of proving you dont know shit?

TEX
10-26-2009, 06:52 AM
I blame Larry Johnson. Every game is a shitty game for Johnson.:evil:

Till we can run the ball, it's just gonna be more of the same every week. Cassel will continue to struggle until he feels some confidence in his O line and we can run the ball.

Till then it's a jail break for the QB on every play. Timing patterns? Forget about it.

Oh yeah, and the defense sucks.

Another poorly thought out article. More like head hunting. Why dont you just quit trying instead of proving you dont know shit?

This. Once the O-Line is better, everything else will follow. Period.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 07:18 AM
http://kan.scout.com/2/912917.html

It’s easy to blame the Chiefs’ terrible pass defense or rotten, handicapped offensive line play for Sunday’s 37-7 blowout at the hands of the San Diego Chargers. But you can do that every week. At some point you have to call out the highest-paid player, so it’s time to lay it at the feet of Matt Cassel.

There’s no question Cassel shares some of the blame for the Chiefs’ 1-6 start. He blew a game against the Oakland Raiders in Week 2 but it was nothing compared to what transpired inside a soggy Arrowhead Stadium Sunday. The Chiefs had 19 net passing yards and zero passing first downs at halftime against the Chargers, and even that total was “inflated” by a two-minute drill. At one point, Cassel had dropped back to pass eight times and completed one pass for a grand total of two net yards.

When it was all over, Kansas City had only three passing first downs despite Cassel’s 25 attempts. His 25.3 quarterback rating, a horrifying statistic in a vacuum, appears even more revolting when you consider that it was the lowest rating a Chiefs’ starter has posted since Tyler Thigpen (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4583398) melted down in Atlanta a year ago.

Yes, we’re now revisiting a level of incompetence from KC’s passing game that we haven’t seen since Herm Edwards was trying to save his job by throwing Thigpen to the wolves.

Sunday’s game was that bad. The Chiefs appeared to be a team that cannot field even an average passing attack, and this came at home against a San Diego team with a mediocre secondary and a terrible pass rush. I’m not sure Shaw-knee Merriman touched Cassel, but it really didn’t matter.

As soon as his pocket became congested against the Chargers, Cassel looked lost. The play was dead. And when Cassel did throw, the results were less than inspiring. Specifically, his accuracy hit the bottom of the barrel against the Chargers.

In the second quarter, Cassel threw an awful pass that was intended for newly-activated wide receiver Lance Long (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249493). It was underthrown and nearly intercepted. On the next play, Long got a step deep on his coverage, but once again the pass was underthrown and Long was forced to reach back awkwardly in a failed attempt to catch it.

Were they difficult throws? Sure. But Cassel is the highest-paid Chief. He’s supposed to be a difference maker. He failed to make a difference. The Chiefs, already down 14-0 at that point, couldn’t really afford to punt again, but had to because they simply couldn’t move the ball through the air. At all.

A few plays later, Cassel badly skipped a ball to a wide-open Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307406), who would have picked up a first down. It wasn’t a difficult throw, and Cassel had a perfect pocket to pass from. He just dumped the ball right in the dirt. Is there really any excuse for that from the highest-paid Chief?

But what really stings is, at one point, Kansas City had a chance to get back in the ball game. They were down 13 points, had been out-gained 2-to-1, and Arrowhead Stadium was a drippy, depressing, scene. But on their first possession of the third quarter, the Chiefs had scored, then KC’s defense had stuffed San Diego’s offense, and all the momentum was on Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794)’s side.

It was at that point that he dropped back to throw, stepped up and heaved one of those long, graceful, arcing spirals you always see in slow motion on NFL Films highlights. For a brief second, Chiefs fans may have seen Jamaal Charles (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307409) breaking open, seen the ball sailing through the air and thought – this is it! Matt Cassel is about to throw a 65-yard touchdown pass, no one can run down Charles, and this place is about to go crazy! We’re back in this game!

And then the pass fluttered off to the right as Charles made a hopeless stab at an over-the-shoulder miracle catch. The ball thumped into the wet grass and slipped away, just like the opportunity.

Cassel blew it, and he blew the next play when he badly overthrew a wide, wide open Bobby Wade streaking down the right sideline for what was, at least, a 20-yard gain and potentially a touchdown. The pass wasn’t even close. Wade would have needed a last-second gust of hurricane-force wind to catch up to it.

And that was it. On third and long, Cassel scrambled for two meaningless yards, the Chiefs punted, the Chargers torched KC’s defense for another long touchdown. Game over.

The Chiefs had missed their window of opportunity to get back in the game. When you’re a 1-6 team, those chances don’t come along that often. The highest-paid player on the team has to seize the moment. Matt Cassel failed to do that, and right now he is failing the Chiefs. His performance Sunday was as bad as anything we saw from Thigpen a year ago, and could have been worse. Cassel’s three interceptions could have easily been five. If Bowe doesn’t make a sensational play on the end-zone boundary, the Chiefs don’t even score.

Chiefs fans love to laugh at Oakland’s JaMarcus Russell (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4249031), who is completing only 45.6 percent of his passes. But Cassel is now keeping him company, just four spots above at 54.8 percent. Cassel is 34th in the NFL in yards per attempt (note that there are only 32 starting quarterbacks) and the Chiefs have the league’s worst third-down conversion rate.

Are the questions that arose around Cassel last season in New England still an issue? It’s hard to argue otherwise. The Patriots had a woeful deep passing game a year ago and Sunday, Charles might as well have been Randy Moss (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4309679) getting wide open down the field only to watch the ball sail over his head. There are no shortage of plays where Cassel holds onto the ball and takes a sack, and at this rate, after taking 47 sacks with the Patriots and already another 23 this season, he may wind up as the most-sacked quarterback in the league over the last two seasons. These are not trends that should be ignored.

The saddest part may be that at times, Cassel actually shows signs of being the franchise quarterback he’s paid to be. Sunday, he made a spectacular throw to Long that would have gone for a touchdown had it not been dropped. He threw gorgeous passes to Bowe for clutch, game-tying touchdowns against the Raiders and Cowboys. He has protected the ball well, been a good teammate, played with heart and determination and said all the right things.

But the Chiefs are 1-6, have one of the league’s worst passing games, and here we are comparing Cassel to Thigpen and Russell. After Sunday, it’s hard to argue he hasn’t been a giant disappointment. The Chiefs had a chance, if only for the briefest of moments, and Cassel failed them. His contract demands success.

If this "article" was turned in to a middle school teacher for a grade, they would give it an "f"

You cant start a thought in one paragraph, never end it, then continue it on a whole new paragraph.

Its just dumb.

I'm not an english major, but even I know that.

Dont you guys have an editor?

BTW almost EVERY point made in this topic could have been read in my "our expectations of Cassel" thread....over three weeks ago!

fail

Chiefnj2
10-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I did not watch the game, wasn't playing locally... but based on footage I did see and things I just know... the QB is not the weak link of the team. The WRs and TEs are average or below. The Oline is patch-work and the ground game is void of everything you want from a ground game. So, it's all the fault of the QB? Doesn't add up to me.

Cassel had a really bad game. End of story. It happens.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Cassel had a really bad game. End of story. It happens.

he hasnt even had an average game yet.

numbers can be very misleading.

our best game from the QB position was Croyle vs Baltimore...its not even close!

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 08:01 AM

you know i dont see how a guy as smart as you cant get it. cassel obviously doent TRUST bowe, or the o line, they have let him down all year. how many passes did bowe drop yesterday?

KCUnited
10-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Danan Hughes this morning on 610 - Chiefs receivers the worst route runners he's seen. Was impressed with Long's route running in pregame.

Chiefnj2
10-26-2009, 08:07 AM
he hasnt even had an average game yet.

numbers can be very misleading.

our best game from the QB position was Croyle vs Baltimore...its not even close!

Dallas wasn't an average or above average game?

KcFanInGA
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
From what I have seen, Cassel has been what I expected up until last night. You guys act like because a man gets a paycheck that is a large amount of money, that he can't get rattled. Well, I call BS. Here is a guy that wants to win...badly. He has leadership ability out the wazoo according to teammates and coaches...we were fresh off our first win in ages and playing at home in Arrowhead, packed slap full of Chiefs fans donning the red and gold (hail to it) and daring to believe. Things crumbled early. LJ didn't want to run hard before the half, the line was trying to get it's act together, and Cassel made some bad decisions. So he tried to step it up. Tried to force it. For the fans. For himself. For his teammates. And he fell on his face. The whole team did. It is disappointing. It hurts to see the team you love struggle so badly. But you dig deeper. You give a good qb in a bad offense time. You wait until he has talent around him, not game changing talent but at least nfl level talent, and see what he does with it. I predict a big game for Cassel next week. He will bounce back. But half of you seem like you'd be pretty pissed if he did bounce back. I'm sure you'd find something wrong. Start Brodie? Why, because he kept us close in one preseason game? If you are a Chiefs fan, you owe it to the team to see what Cassel does. Just my advice...I was in Atlanta when Jerry Glanville and the fans thought it would be a good idea to trade a 2nd stringer name Brett Farve from the Falcons to the Packers. Let's at least give Cassel this season and next. He's playing hard, and taking some massive shots out there, hoping to do what we need him to do. Bring the fucking glory back to Arrowhead, bring the damned pride back to the Red and Gold! Science has proven the effect of human thought when many minds are attuned to the same outcome. You dont have to pray...but lets at least try to twice this week and twice next, and all together right before week 9's game, envision the Chiefs driving downfield to win it over and over again. We will get there. And we are moving in that direction. I know where we are going...I just don't know how long it will take to get there. Signing off Chiefs fans.

Demonpenz
10-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Cassel sucks.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
From what I have seen, Cassel has been what I expected up until last night. You guys act like because a man gets a paycheck that is a large amount of money, that he can't get rattled. Well, I call BS. Here is a guy that wants to win...badly. He has leadership ability out the wazoo according to teammates and coaches...we were fresh off our first win in ages and playing at home in Arrowhead, packed slap full of Chiefs fans donning the red and gold (hail to it) and daring to believe. Things crumbled early. LJ didn't want to run hard before the half, the line was trying to get it's act together, and Cassel made some bad decisions. So he tried to step it up. Tried to force it. For the fans. For himself. For his teammates. And he fell on his face. The whole team did. It is disappointing. It hurts to see the team you love struggle so badly. But you dig deeper. You give a good qb in a bad offense time. You wait until he has talent around him, not game changing talent but at least nfl level talent, and see what he does with it. I predict a big game for Cassel next week. He will bounce back. But half of you seem like you'd be pretty pissed if he did bounce back. I'm sure you'd find something wrong. Start Brodie? Why, because he kept us close in one preseason game? If you are a Chiefs fan, you owe it to the team to see what Cassel does. Just my advice...I was in Atlanta when Jerry Glanville and the fans thought it would be a good idea to trade a 2nd stringer name Brett Farve from the Falcons to the Packers. Let's at least give Cassel this season and next. He's playing hard, and taking some massive shots out there, hoping to do what we need him to do. Bring the ****ing glory back to Arrowhead, bring the damned pride back to the Red and Gold! Science has proven the effect of human thought when many minds are attuned to the same outcome. You dont have to pray...but lets at least try to twice this week and twice next, and all together right before week 9's game, envision the Chiefs driving downfield to win it over and over again. We will get there. And we are moving in that direction. I know where we are going...I just don't know how long it will take to get there. Signing off Chiefs fans.

there might be some good points there, but they are hard to decipher because of the huge paragraph.

notorious
10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
From what I have seen, Cassel has been what I expected up until last night. You guys act like because a man gets a paycheck that is a large amount of money, that he can't get rattled. Well, I call BS. Here is a guy that wants to win...badly. He has leadership ability out the wazoo according to teammates and coaches...we were fresh off our first win in ages and playing at home in Arrowhead, packed slap full of Chiefs fans donning the red and gold (hail to it) and daring to believe. Things crumbled early. LJ didn't want to run hard before the half, the line was trying to get it's act together, and Cassel made some bad decisions. So he tried to step it up. Tried to force it. For the fans. For himself. For his teammates. And he fell on his face. The whole team did. It is disappointing. It hurts to see the team you love struggle so badly. But you dig deeper. You give a good qb in a bad offense time. You wait until he has talent around him, not game changing talent but at least nfl level talent, and see what he does with it. I predict a big game for Cassel next week. He will bounce back. But half of you seem like you'd be pretty pissed if he did bounce back. I'm sure you'd find something wrong. Start Brodie? Why, because he kept us close in one preseason game? If you are a Chiefs fan, you owe it to the team to see what Cassel does. Just my advice...I was in Atlanta when Jerry Glanville and the fans thought it would be a good idea to trade a 2nd stringer name Brett Farve from the Falcons to the Packers. Let's at least give Cassel this season and next. He's playing hard, and taking some massive shots out there, hoping to do what we need him to do. Bring the ****ing glory back to Arrowhead, bring the damned pride back to the Red and Gold! Science has proven the effect of human thought when many minds are attuned to the same outcome. You dont have to pray...but lets at least try to twice this week and twice next, and all together right before week 9's game, envision the Chiefs driving downfield to win it over and over again. We will get there. And we are moving in that direction. I know where we are going...I just don't know how long it will take to get there. Signing off Chiefs fans.

Wall-o-words

LaChapelle
10-26-2009, 09:37 AM
I could understand if maybe his arm got fucked up by someone landing on it, but unless that happens most games....

Frankie
10-26-2009, 11:56 AM

This.

CASSEL SUCKS JUST ABOUT AS MUCH AS TrINT DID HIS FIRST YEAR.

Blame Cassel for being shell-shocked. He has 0.0000000006 seconds everytime he tries to pass. He gets no help from the running game. That makes even the best of them push with the wrong pass, or hold on to the ball too long hoping somebody gets open. Put 5 LIVING guys in front of him and THEN crucify him if he sucks. .... SHEESH!:shake:

Micjones
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
No. Cut him now.
We've seen enough!

suds79
10-26-2009, 12:01 PM
This.

I really think people should stop drawing comparisons to Trent Green. Yes we all know Trent had a bad 1st year and then went on to be really good.

But is that the exception or the rule? We can't just assume Cassel will turn out the same way.

Will Cassel be better next year? I don't know. I think it's really up in the air right now.

But how many guys have had a bad 1st year and then... had a bad 2nd year also? Then followed up with a 3rd?

Sometimes guys struggle simply because they're not that good.

Chiefnj2
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM

... and other guys struggle because their team and coaching sucks ass.

Coach
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
The question I have to ask is, was Trent's O-line that bad during his first year?

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
The question I have to ask is, was Trent's O-line that bad during his first year?

not even in the same universe as ours this year

orange
10-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I really think people should stop drawing comparisons to Trent Green. Yes we all know Trent had a bad 1st year and then went on to be really good.

But is that the exception or the rule? We can't just assume Cassel will turn out the same way.

Will Cassel be better next year? I don't know. I think it's really up in the air right now.

But how many guys have had a bad 1st year and then... had a bad 2nd year also? Then followed up with a 3rd?

Exactly.

This post should be a smiley that people could paste into every thread with one click.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
This.

Blame Cassel for being shell-shocked. He has 0.0000000006 seconds everytime he tries to pass. He gets no help from the running game. That makes even the best of them push with the wrong pass, or hold on to the ball too long hoping somebody gets open. Put 5 LIVING guys in front of him and THEN crucify him if he sucks. .... SHEESH!:shake:

Trent may have thrown alot (24)of interceptions but at least he wasnt afraid to put the damn ball in the air.

He threw for 3800 yards and 17 tds while taking a similar amount of sacks (39)

to put it in perspective, Cassel is on pace to throw for under 2500 yards 20 tds and 13 interceptions, this year. (this is his per game average x 15 because he missed game 1) OH YEAH and 54.8% comp %

=gunshy

***Allow me to drop the Thigpen bomb once.....in 10 starts he threw for 2408 yards...18tds...12ints....386 rushing 3 tds... OH YEAH EXACTLY 54.8% completion %***

where is that $63,000,000 going?

BigChiefFan
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
He's done a remarkable job given the talent he has to work with. Yesterday, he played poorly, but I would still have to give solid marks for his performance to date.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 12:25 PM

We arent going to be adding Willie Roaf to our line anytime soon...not to mention Brian waters became a starter half way through trents first season. That is two probowl/hof caliber linemen added to a line that surrendered 39 sacks in 2001 and 26 in 2002

BossChief
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
He's done a remarkable job given the talent he has to work with. Yesterday, he played poorly, but I would still have to give solid marks for his performance to date.

based on what? <---------------this is a real question

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Hold him accountable.

I love how people want to hold people more accountable then they actually were (Herm) but people like Cassel can do no wrong and they blame everyone else on the team. There were some dropped passes. But Cassel flat out sucked of Ryan Leaf proportions.

BigChiefFan
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
based on what? <---------------this is a real question
Let's see... we have the worst O-line in football. We have the worst WR core in football. We have the worst TEs in football. We have a below average FB. We have sub-par HBs, who could quite possibly be the worst in the league, at this point. Add to that a 1st year head coach, a below average defense, and he doesn't have much to work with.

BigChiefFan
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I think it's a given that Cassell played like crap yesterday. Please find me somebody saying anything to the contrary. I'm talking about his entire season and looking at from overall context.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM

The answer is no.

Tait, Waters, Weigman, Shields & Riley.

I'd take that any day of the week over what the Chiefs have right now.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM

I think you're watching a different QB than I am on Sundays.

BigChiefFan
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
The answer is no.

Would you agree that we have the worst O-line in football? The worst receiving core? A below-average FB? Mediocre HBs? Below-average defense?

If so, I would say the odds are stacked against having much success this year. It's Cassel, not Peyton Manning, we are talking about.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Would you agree that we have the worst O-line in football? The worst receiving core? A below-average FB? Mediocre HBs? Below-average defense?

If so, I would say the odds are stacked against having much success this year. It's Cassell, not Peyton Manning, we are talking about.

Dude, I said that shit LAST YEAR! In FUCKING 2008!

Regardless, Cassel has not performed up to expectations, let alone even average.

He looks lost, confused and scared to take a hit. He shows no signs of confidence or moxy and his play is suffering because of it. Instead of trying to make a few tight throws at the expense of a possible interception, he dumps the ball off to his outlet receivers.

To date, he shows absolutely NO sign of being a Franchise QB.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:46 PM

If so, I would say the odds are stacked against having much success this year. It's Cassel, not Peyton Manning, we are talking about.

IMO manning wouldnt look a whole lot better behind this fucking line. have you ever seen him when he has a rush in his face?

SDChiefs

Posted via Mobile Device

He has yet to have a good game. Croyle is a career backup and he is better than Cassel. Cassel should be sitting some where on the number 3 or 4 QB on any roster. Including Washingtons and Oaklands.

DaneMcCloud
IMO manning wouldnt look a whole lot better behind this fucking line. have you ever seen him when he has a rush in his face?

Then you haven't seen enough of Peyton Manning

CoMoChief
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
FUCK IT!!!!!!

We are winning the rest of our games.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Dude, I said that shit LAST YEAR! In FUCKING 2008!

Regardless, Cassel has not performed up to expectations, let alone even average.

He looks lost, confused and scared to take a hit. He shows no signs of confidence or moxy and his play is suffering because of it. Instead of trying to make a few tight throws at the expense of a possible interception, he dumps the ball off to his outlet receivers.

To date, he shows absolutely NO sign of being a Franchise QB.

well dane he HAS driven us down the field in crunch time several times this year. if he can get to green's level for the first three QTRS and play like he's shown he's capable in the 4th we will be in a good spot

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
It's not going to happen, that's Pioli's boy. They are tied, Cassel is starting for the next 3-4 years regardless of how bad he is.

Thats why we have to hope for an injury. Its the only way hes coming out of the game and the only way we will ever have a chance to win.

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
This..... he's played 6 games for probably the least talented team in NFL history... shit even the best QB's in the NFL need some help... anyone who claims it's all his fault is a ****ing moron

I don't think anyone is claiming its ALL his fault. Just that he sucks ass and we will never win with him at QB. Take the greatest offense of all time that he missed the playoffs with. Bradys back and they are doing well again.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Then you haven't seen enough of Peyton Manning

he gets happy feet when pressured, no where NEAR the same guy. maybe it's you that should watch him a little more:p. it's been a knock on him his whole career

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
well dane he HAS driven us down the field in crunch time several times this year. if he can get to green's level for the first three QTRS and play like he's shown he's capable in the 4th we will be in a good spot

Dude, the guy's been awful. He's got 8 TD's and 5 INT's in 6 games. That's terrible.

Many of his "TD's" were when the game was over. The Giants and Eagles had second teamers on the field. It was a practice session at that point.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
he gets happy feet when pressured, no where NEAR the same guy. maybe it's you that should watch him a little more:p. it's been a knock on him his whole career

Yeah, his whole career.

The same career where he's been the league MVP.

The career that has a Super Bowl trophy attached.

The same career that has his team 6-0 with two unknown receivers.

Yep, he's just awful.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think anyone is claiming its ALL his fault. Just that he sucks ass and we will never win with him at QB. Take the greatest offense of all time that he missed the playoffs with. Bradys back and they are doing well again.

he went 11-5 with that team.how many times has that happened. the pats are 5-2 this year so he's on track to have about the same record. they werent going undefeated WITH brady last year

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
he went 11-5 with that team.how many times has that happened. the pats are 5-2 this year so he's on track to have about the same record. they werent going undefeated WITH brady last year

Because you're a psychic now?

Cassel won 10 games that he started, not 11. Furthermore, not many teams in the NFL have that line, those receivers, that defense and THAT HEAD COACH.

Cassel is NOT Tom Brady.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, his whole career.

The same career where he's been the league MVP.

The career that has a Super Bowl trophy attached.

The same career that has his team 6-0 with two unknown receivers.

Yep, he's just awful.

yeah dane i said he's awful:rolleyes: what i actually said was that when he's PRESSURED he folds, and has his whole career. thats pretty well documented. look it up

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah dane i said he's awful:rolleyes: what i actually said was that when he's PRESSURED he folds, and has his whole career. thats pretty well documented. look it up

You are out of your mind.

Seriously.

You're going to tell me that Peyton Manning folds under pressure and THAT'S an established FACT?

Are you joking?

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Because you're a psychic now?

Cassel won 10 games that he started, not 11. Furthermore, not many teams in the NFL have that line, those receivers, that defense and THAT HEAD COACH.

Cassel is NOT Tom Brady.

ROFL dane how many teams have gone undefeated? he also pretty much beat US last year no? brady went out pretty early in that game.

again i never said that cassel is tom brady.never.

and whats the excuse that the pats are on track to have about the same record this year WITH brady.

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Look what he did last year. All the talent in the world and he couldn't even make the playoffs.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Seriously.

You're going to tell me that Peyton Manning folds under pressure and THAT'S an established FACT?

Are you joking?

dane maybe you should pay more attention. peyton gets happy feet and is no where the same guy when pressured. sorry it's the truth

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
ROFL dane how many teams have gone undefeated? he also pretty much beat US last year no? brady went out pretty early in that game.

again i never said that cassel is tom brady.never.

and whats the excuse that the pats are on track to have about the same record this year WITH brady.

First off, if you've watched the Patriots, it wasn't until two weeks ago that Brady looked like "vintage" Tom Brady. They struggled initially with him behind center. It's a miracle the guy is performing as well as he is considering it generally takes most people two years to recover completely from ACL surgery.

Do you really expect the Patriots to lose three more games this year and NOT make the playoffs?

I don't. I'll be surprised if they lose one more game all year.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Let's see... we have the worst O-line in football. We have the worst WR core in football. We have the worst TEs in football. We have a below average FB. We have sub-par HBs, who could quite possibly be the worst in the league, at this point. Add to that a 1st year head coach, a below average defense, and he doesn't have much to work with.

so that makes his performance "remarkable"?

We dont have the worst recieving corps in the NFL

they arent hofers, but we have a average, maybe somewhat below average, recieving corps.

Vicks receiving corps were known as horrible until Ryan got there, same thing...you have to find the open receiver and he hasnt done that.

Get some free tickets to the next game on craigslist (there will be plenty) and see how many open receivers he misses all game long. Thats all my friends that went to the game could talk about, said all the people sitting around them were saying the same thing and numerous shouts of WTF were yelled repeatedly.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 01:04 PM
First off, if you've watched the Patriots, it wasn't until two weeks ago that Brady looked like "vintage" Tom Brady. They struggled initially with him behind center. It's a miracle the guy is performing as well as he is considering it generally takes most people two years to recover completely from ACL surgery.

Do you really expect the Patriots to lose three more games this year and NOT make the playoffs?

I don't. I'll be surprised if they lose one more game all year.

dane how many teams in nfl HISTORY have gone 11-5 and not made the playoffs? thats just bad luck.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:05 PM
dane maybe you should pay more attention. peyton gets happy feet and is no where the same guy when pressured. sorry it's the truth

Really?

Then how do you explain the fact that since his first year in the league, his completion percentage has never been below 62% and generally averages around 67%?

Or the fact other than two years when he had 3,700 yards passing, he's had over 4,000 yards each season for 9 out of 10 years?

How do you explain 348 TD's versus only 169 INT's, virtually 2-1 ratio?

If all that was needed was pressure to take Peyton Manning out of his game, I don't think his numbers would be what they are today.

That's a lame argument, Jason.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:06 PM
dane how many teams in nfl HISTORY have gone 11-5 and not made the playoffs? thats just bad luck.

You're right.

It was bad luck that Brady had his ACL shredded by Bernard Pollard.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
The answer is no.

Waters took over half way and wasnt quite the all pro waters quite yet, he was a dlinemen a few short weeks back iirc.

In 2002, we added Roaf and Waters really started to show up and "the line of fame" was built.

wild1
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Seriously.

Are you joking?

it's an established fact among idiots that Manning can't win the big one, and he folds under pressure.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Really?

Then how do you explain the fact that since his first year in the league, his completion percentage has never been below 62% and generally averages around 67%?

Or the fact other than two years when he had 3,700 yards passing, he's had over 4,000 yards each season for 9 out of 10 years?

How do you explain 348 TD's versus only 169 INT's, virtually 2-1 ratio?

If all that was needed was pressure to take Peyton Manning out of his game, I don't think his numbers would be what they are today.

That's a lame argument, Jason.

dane the guy consistently has one of the best lines in the nfl sorry. he is a great QB but he has problems when pressured

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
You're right.

ROFL thats not what i meant and you know it, but keep skirting it man.

Again how many teams have gone 11-5 and NOT made the playoffs?

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
it's an established fact among idiots that Manning can't win the big one, and he folds under pressure.

how where his stats in that super bowl run?

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Waters took over half way and wasnt quite the all pro waters quite yet, he was a dlinemen a few short weeks back iirc.

In 2002, we added Roaf and Waters really started to show up and "the line of fame" was built.

You are incorrect.

Waters was originally signed as an undrafted college free agent by the Cowboys as a tight end. After he was cut, he came to KC and played in 6 games in 2000. He moved into the starting guard position in 2001 and by 2004, was a Pro-Bowler.

None of that negates the fact that the 2001 offensive line was far superior to the 2009 version.

Chiefnj2
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
You are incorrect.

Waters was originally signed as an undrafted college free agent by the Cowboys as a tight end. After he was cut, he came to KC and played in 6 games in 2000. He moved into the starting guard position in 2001 and by 2004, was a Pro-Bowler.

None of that negates the fact that the 2001 offensive line was far superior to the 2009 version.

It was superior in hindsight. Walking into 2001 what did you have other than Shields? A LT in Tait who many thought was soft and couldn't cut it at LT. Waters was just starting out on the OL. Weigman was a castoff. Riley was thought of as a bad RT.

Chocolate Hog
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
lol this thread coming from the same guy who also said this week the Chiefs offense would start to improve. How the fuck do you have a job writting about footnall?

Raised On Riots
10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
You're right.

And not just bad luck for Brady...

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Brady came in this year and struggled getting back from his injury. Hes gotten his feet under him now and they will finish better than 11-5. Because Brady is a good QB and Cassel is not. Thigpen could have won 11 games with last years Pats team. And he is in no way a great QB.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
dane the guy consistently has one of the best lines in the nfl sorry. he is a great QB but he has problems when pressured

Jason, I often agree with you're take on subjects BUT

go to a colts board and say they have always had one of the best lines in the NFL.

it is an untrue statement. Their line has struggled since Glenn retired after their superbowl win.

They arent in the same zipcode of suck that ours is in, but they have been a NFL average line at best and have recently struggled with numerous injuries.

Peyton is GREAT at shuffling around in the pocket and has one of the quickest releases in NFL history.

Teams dont blitz because of that and the fact he is so smart he sees the blitz and disects the defense to find the wide open reciever....Cassel sees that blitz and stops looking downfield.

Cassel will never be a top ten QB

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 01:26 PM

go to a colts board and say they have always had one of the best lines in the NFL.

it is an untrue statement. Their line has struggled since Glenn retired after their superbowl win.

They arent in the same zipcode of suck that ours is in, but they have been a NFL average line at best and have recently struggled with numerous injuries.

Peyton is GREAT at shuffling around in the pocket and has one of the quickest releases in NFL history.

Teams dont blitz because of that and the fact he is so smart he sees the blitz and disects the defense to find the wide open reciever....Cassel sees that blitz and stops looking downfield.

Hes not even a top 32 QB

BossChief
10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
You are incorrect.

you're right. I had to look it up. iirc didnt he play some center that year while transitioning?

Lots of stuff clouding my memory from that long ago.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
It was superior in hindsight. Walking into 2001 what did you have other than Shields? A LT in Tait who many thought was soft and couldn't cut it at LT. Waters was just starting out on the OL. Weigman was a castoff. Riley was thought of as a bad RT.

Well, Tait did just fine. Waters was in the Pro-Bowl three years later and many thought he should have been there sooner. Weigman wasn't a "castoff" but a part time player with the Bears. Riley was not thought of as being "bad" but he was a psycho. After his contract was up, he started for New Orleans.

But regardless, it was superior, no matter how you look at it.

Frankie
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM

All I'm saying, is Cassel SHOULD NOT be judged or analyzed for his performance behind this sorrowful O-line. The comparison tp Trent is just to point that out.

Frankie
10-26-2009, 01:38 PM

The same.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM

the point remains that when peyton is pressured he's no where near the same Qb he gets happy feet.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
the point remains that when peyton is pressured he's no where near the same Qb he gets happy feet.

You're wrong.

And furthermore, if all it took was pressure, why wouldn't opposing defensive coordinators just bring the house on each and every passing down?

Oh, that's right. Because Peyton would shred their secondary with his quick release, resulting in touchdowns.

Duh.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 01:47 PM
All I'm saying, is Cassel SHOULD NOT be judged or analyzed for his performance behind this sorrowful O-line. The comparison tp Trent is just to point that out.

You are, of course, wrong.

If he was playing magnificently behind this line, would you say the same thing about him?

He locks onto receivers, won't throw downfield, won't throw into traffic and looks like a deer in the headlights. This offensive line sucks ass but Cassel has just shown nothing.

Raised On Riots
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
All I'm saying, is Cassel SHOULD NOT be judged or analyzed for his performance behind this sorrowful O-line.

So we're back to the Thiggy/Croyle excuse then?

BossChief
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM

So, when we have invested a few years in him, and built a good oline and defense all teams will have to do is blitz the shit out of him to beat us?

That sux.

He isnt half the QB PM is while under pressure.

We could have kept Huard if what we wanted was an average qb.

----ok maybe thats going too far, but maybe not. Huard went 5-3 in 2005 and thats about the same as 10-5 right? That was with a far less talented team than Cassel had last year.

Cassel got 63,000,000 because he didnt wreck the Ferrari, mostly because he never even shifted into 6th gear!

Pioli Zombie
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Brady came in this year and struggled getting back from his injury. Hes gotten his feet under him now and they will finish better than 11-5. Because Brady is a good QB and Cassel is not. Thigpen could have won 11 games with last years Pats team. And he is in no way a great QB.
Stupid comment of the year. Tyler Thigpen. Yeah. Right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
So, when we have invested a few years in him, and built a good oline and defense all teams will have to do is blitz the shit out of him to beat us?

That sux.

----ok maybe thats going too far, but maybe not. Huard went 5-3 in 2005 and thats about the same as 10-5 right? That was with a far less talented team than Cassel had last year.

Cassel got 63,000,000 because he didnt wreck the Ferrari, mostly because he never even shifted into 6th gear!

Yeah. Back to back 400 yard games sucked.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It is a bit far fetched, but not completely ridiculous.

If they gave him a couple years prep, they could probably teach a monkey to run that offense with all pros all over the place.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2009, 02:01 PM

That sux.

LMAO THE real point here is that cassel is struggling IMO BECAUSE he doesnt trust his line OR Wrs. and how in the hell can anyone blame him?

SDChiefs
10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, youre right, yet Cassel is doing worse than Thigpen. Now go F*ck yourself. Douche. Its your team that is the reason we will forever suck. Pioli and scooping up every piece of garbage you guys have.

Count Zarth
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
LMAO THE real point here is that cassel is struggling IMO BECAUSE he doesnt trust his line OR Wrs. and how in the hell can anyone blame him?

Who cares?

He's paid to hit the open guy.

When he misses him, criticism is warranted.

We paid this guy $63 million to be the anti-Thigpen. So far he's quasi-Thigpen.

Raised On Riots
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Who cares?

He's paid to hit the open guy.

When he misses him, criticism is warranted.

We paid this guy $63 million to be the anti-Thigpen. So far he's quasi-Thigpen.

Twin Thigpens of different mothers.

Frankie
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
If he was playing magnificently behind this line, would you say the same thing about him?LMAO Do you actually think anybody can play "magnificently" behind this line?

He locks onto receivers, won't throw downfield, won't throw into traffic and looks like a deer in the headlights.Behind our O-line there's no time to look off the 'D.' Locking on to the first target and hoping he somehow gets open in the fraction of the second that you got is the bi-product of the woefully short time that he gets.

Count Zarth
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Behind our O-line there's no time to look off the 'D.' Locking on to the first target and hoping he somehow gets open in the fraction of the second that you got is the bi-product of the woefully short time that he gets.

Please. On Bowe's TD pass he moved his head all the way from the right side of the field back to Bowe on the left sideline.

So, I disagree with the locking on comment to a certain extent. But even if he is, he's flat out overthrowing open guys. That can't happen. Not at his price tag.

Get better or bring on Brokie.

KCBOSS1
10-26-2009, 09:35 PM
The discussion of Thigpen and Cassel is mute....We have who we have. But at some point, just because he's gotten the big check doesn't cut as a reasonable excuse. 1-6. Let Brodie throw the ball and show some humility. He can't do any worse. If he gets hurt, you're in no worse condition. If he does well, wins always look better. We do not have our franchise guy. We have a possible talent, though not durable, and it's not Cassel.

Bunit
10-26-2009, 09:51 PM

JFC

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 09:55 PM
THE real point here is that cassel is struggling IMO BECAUSE he doesnt trust his line OR Wrs. and how in the hell can anyone blame him?

I think your opinion is incorrect but time will tell who's right and who's wrong.

I see more Elvis Grbac in this guy than Joe Montana.

Easy 6
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
...:#...:hmmm:...:cuss::cuss:, ROFLROFL..:spock:, :bang::bang::bang:...PBJ:whackit::deevee::cuss:......:Rader::Rader::Rader:,:sulk:...

...i got nuthin tonight, where do we go from here?

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 10:10 PM
LMAO Do you actually think anybody can play "magnificently" behind this line?

Behind our O-line there's no time to look off the 'D.' Locking on to the first target and hoping he somehow gets open in the fraction of the second that you got is the bi-product of the woefully short time that he gets.

You're wrong.

But that's nothing new.

Count Zarth
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I think your opinion is incorrect but time will tell who's right and who's wrong.

I see more Elvis Grbac in this guy than Joe Montana.

Elvis was never this bad.

His problem always seemed to be a brain fart at the wrong time + shitty attitude/asshole tendencies.

The weird thing about Cassel is he has all the "intangibles" and I think he's a really smart guy.

He just...blows it.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Elvis was never this bad.

His problem always seemed to be a brain fart at the wrong time + shitty attitude/asshole tendencies.

The weird thing about Cassel is he has all the "intangibles" and I think he's a really smart guy.

He just...blows it.

Wow, a new perspective.

I'm speechless.

Count Zarth
10-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Wow, a new perspective.

I'm speechless.

If anyone can change their opinion it's me.

I like Cassel but he needs to improve a lot over the last 9 games.

I call it like I see it and Sunday that might as well have been Thigpen.

BossChief
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM

Im glad you are starting to look at the situation OBJECTIVELY.

No, Thigpen would be forcing defenses to respect his ability to run the ball himself.

Cassel is a taller, slower version of Thigpen that takes a sack instead of gaining positive yards.

If Cassel would just take off running when protection breaks down, teams would respect that and keep a couple defenders back to defend it, sadly enough though, he just goes in his "fetal position drills".

Raised On Riots
10-27-2009, 03:14 AM
You're wrong.

But that's nothing new.

It's "give Thiggy a line, and SUPERBOWL ELEVENTY BILLION!!!!11111" all over again, and it's fucking disgusting.

I honestly hate half of the fan base of this team, I really fucking do.

chiefzilla1501
10-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Im glad you are starting to look at the situation OBJECTIVELY.

No, Thigpen would be forcing defenses to respect his ability to run the ball himself.

Cassel is a taller, slower version of Thigpen that takes a sack instead of gaining positive yards.

If Cassel would just take off running when protection breaks down, teams would respect that and keep a couple defenders back to defend it, sadly enough though, he just goes in his "fetal position drills".

I don't know how you can even compare the two. Thigpen operated in an extremely QB friendly, gimmick spread and he had the ultimate safety valve in Tony Gonzalez. I liked Thigpen, but the situations aren't even remotely similar.

chiefzilla1501
10-27-2009, 05:39 AM

I agree with you there. Last Sunday was the first game where the accuracy issue really became an issue for me.

He has to improve. But until he gets consistently decent protection, it's still tough to make that call. Albert also needs to improve. And Haley has to get a clue and keep Wade Smith at Center and get Goff the fuck out of the RG position. Frankly, if today he went with Albert-Waters-Smith-Alleman-O'Callaghan (or with Ndukwe replacing Alleman), I think within a few games, while that offensive line would suck, it would be good enough that we can start to fairly evaluate Cassel's ability.

BossChief
10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I agree with you there. Last Sunday was the first game where the accuracy issue really became an issue for me.

He has to improve. But until he gets consistently decent protection, it's still tough to make that call. Albert also needs to improve. And Haley has to get a clue and keep Wade Smith at Center and get Goff the **** out of the RG position. Frankly, if today he went with Albert-Waters-Smith-Alleman-O'Callaghan (or with Ndukwe replacing Alleman), I think within a few games, while that offensive line would suck, it would be good enough that we can start to fairly evaluate Cassel's ability.

I've got a question for you.

Do you remember when Bledsoe was the Dallas qb and how the line was getting crucified? Romo came in and all of a sudden the line wasnt a problem anymore because of his release and his ability to shake the pressure.

Bledsoe took 49 sacks in his last full season...Romo cut that figure more than in half in his first year starting.

If a qb doesnt get the ball out and have a quick release, defenses prey on it

I really hate to say it, but Cassel is playing like Bledsoe back then

Frankie
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Please. On Bowe's TD pass he moved his head all the way from the right side of the field back to Bowe on the left sideline.

So you are saying the one time he had enough time to look the D off, he tossed a TD pass. Thanks for strengthening my point GoChiefs.

Frankie
10-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't know how you can even compare the two. Thigpen operated in an extremely QB friendly, gimmick spread and he had the ultimate safety valve in Tony Gonzalez. I liked Thigpen, but the situations aren't even remotely similar.

Bingo.

BossChief
10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
"Hey, somebody stole my milk!"

Brock
10-27-2009, 08:48 AM
His downfield accuracy reminds me of Thigpen for sure.

BossChief
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
His downfield accuracy reminds me of Thigpen for sure.

Ive never seen a QB overthrow any pass over 15 yards so consistently in the nfl. That includes Thigpen.

Chiefnj2
10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Horrible OL, no running game to take the pressure off, revolving door of starting receivers every week, no to to receiver/safety valve, no QB coach. I can't imagine why he isn't putting up better numbers.

MahiMike
10-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Do you remember when Bledsoe was the Dallas qb and how the line was getting crucified? Romo came in and all of a sudden the line wasnt a problem anymore because of his release and his ability to shake the pressure.

Bledsoe took 49 sacks in his last full season...Romo cut that figure more than in half in his first year starting.

I agree with this and said something similar. Right now the combination of a pocket passer and weak OL isn't working. But I'm sure Haley and Pioli realize this and are working towards next year while getting Cassel more practice. Who really cares about 2009 anyway?

BossChief
10-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree with this and said something similar. Right now the combination of a pocket passer and weak OL isn't working. But I'm sure Haley and Pioli realize this and are working towards next year while getting Cassel more practice. Who really cares about 2009 anyway?
To answer your question:

the people that shell out thousands of dollars annually to support the team in various ways. Many of us have done exactly that and after the last two years, feel we deserve more than a "yeah were gonna suck for the next two years, but dont worry we are gonna raise the prices too..." bs while they sit on so much money that we arent even at the league fucking minimum!

Have you seen how much the club seating has risen in the last couple years? and is slated to go up to almost double within the next few? Its sick.

The stadium is 1/3 empty for a reason and that takes a big advantage away from the team.

Fish
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Cassel is Huard on steroids.....

Frankie
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Ive never seen a QB overthrow any pass over 15 yards so consistently in the nfl. That includes Thigpen.

I didn't see the game, but in previous games it looked like he expected more separation by the receiver. At least on some of those overthrows.

Frankie
10-27-2009, 11:19 AM

This.

BossChief
10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I didn't see the game, but in previous games it looked like he expected more separation by the receiver. At least on some of those overthrows.

He had the exact same problem last year with the best receiving corps in the league.

He couldnt hit what might go down as the best deep threat of all time with the deep ball.

less than a handfull of completions over 21 yards in the air all year long

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8644

Fish
10-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Yeah... hell... who really cares about 2009. There's always next year. We shouldn't be all expectant of a legitimate professional football team to actually get better in the span of a few seasons. I mean, come on. We have to temper our expectations. They deserve a completely wasted season once in a while, amIright? I mean, what all actually happens during one season? Sheesh. Overrated. We should just wait till <strike>2010</strike> <strike>2011</strike> <strike>2013</strike> 2015 like good downtrodden defeated fans, and be content with the franchise totally wasting an entire season. I mean it's not their fault right? It takes time... If there's one thing this franchise has taught its fans, it's that "There's always hope for next season"®©™

Who really cares about 2009 anyway?

Raised On Riots
10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah... hell... who really cares about 2009. There's always next year. We shouldn't be all expectant of a legitimate professional football team to actually get better in the span of a few seasons. I mean, come on. We have to temper our expectations. They deserve a completely wasted season once in a while, amIright? I mean, what all actually happens during one season? Sheesh. Overrated. We should just wait till <strike>2010</strike> <strike>2011</strike> <strike>2013</strike> 2015 like good downtrodden defeated fans, and be content with the franchise totally wasting an entire season. I mean it's not their fault right? It takes time... If there's one thing this franchise has taught its fans, it's that "There's always hope for next season"®©™

Hey, we can take the Royals place at the Truman Bermuda Triangle of Winning, and just kick back and embrace/pay no mind to the FAIL.

And still fork our $$$$ over like properly conditioned Pavlov's dogs!!!!

WOOT! ELEVENTYJILLION!!!1111!!!!!1~@

BossChief
10-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Its not like we have already gone through two complete abortion years of complete and total rebuild, might as well make that four huh.

How far under the cap will we be next year and what bs story will be the excuse as to why that is?

Fish
10-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Superbowl XLIV is for pussies. I mean.. who cares about Superbowl XLIV? Meh...

Now next season.... then shit gets real.... WHOOOOOO!!

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Its not like we have already gone through two complete abortion years of complete and total rebuild, might as well make that four huh.

How far under the cap will we be next year and what bs story will be the excuse as to why that is?

Man, you guys need to fucking read up.

THERE WILL BE NO SALARY CAP NEXT YEAR.

Which in itself causes all kinds of problems for the Chiefs.

BossChief
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Man, you guys need to ****ing read up.

THERE WILL BE NO SALARY CAP NEXT YEAR.

Which in itself causes all kinds of problems for the Chiefs.

that isnt set in stone yet. If it was, Dallas wouldnt have resigned Ware to a new deal right now because they would own his rights for another year or two because the restriction goes from four years to six.

Teams would also have 2 franchise tags.

Doesnt matter anyway, we have been spending like a small marker team without a cap anyway for the last few years.

We are still below the minimum arent we?

just checking...

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
that isnt set in stone yet. If it was, Dallas wouldnt have resigned Ware to a new deal right now because they would own his rights for another year or two because the restriction goes from four years to six.

Teams would also have 2 franchise tags.

Doesnt matter anyway, we have been spending like a small marker team without a cap anyway for the last few years.

We are still below the minimum arent we?

just checking...

It's set in stone. There's no way the two sides come together for a resolution before February.

Bank it.

chagrin
10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
The QB failure known as Tim Hasselbeck just said on NFL Live that "Matt Cassel is quietly having a great year in KC..."
LMAO

I didn't realize that after week 6, 995 yards passing with 8td's and 5 int's qualifies as a great year. Hell, since I don't get KC football here in Orlando this year, I didn't realize how anemic the O is...damn, someone wake me up in 2012

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Cassel is Huard on steroids.....

Dude, you are truly harshing my mellow

BossChief
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
The QB failure known as Tim Hasselbeck just said on NFL Live that "Matt Cassel is quietly having a great year in KC..."
LMAO

I didn't realize that after week 6, 995 yards passing with 8td's and 5 int's qualifies as a great year. Hell, since I don't get KC football here in Orlando this year, I didn't realize how anemic the O is...damn, someone wake me up in 2012

around december 21st sound about right?

chiefzilla1501
10-27-2009, 04:09 PM

Dude, they're not even nearly close to the same situation. Bledsoe is a 7-step drop QB. He's a Trent Green QB--he needs time to go through progressions and a steady pocket to go through reads. Without a stellar offensive line, they're garbage. They have no mobility and their rhythm gets completely disrupted.

Unlike Bledsoe, Cassel isn't taking a lot of coverage sacks. The sacks are coming because of consistent protection breakdowns. Our tight ends are whiffing on almost every block. And between our Center and Guard, they're letting rushers go through untouched like a fucking matador. Cassel's taking a lot of 3-5 step drops and STILL getting hit as he plants. Watch the first half of the Chargers game and tell me how many times a defender is collapsing on him within 3 seconds. He can't even plant his foot without a defender already right up in his grill.

You can try to massage it all you want, but this offensive line blows more protections more quickly than any offensive line I have EVER seen. I might be the worst offensive line I've ever seen in my life.

jettio
10-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Cassel seems to throw to an area and not to the spot that will catch the receiver in stride.

I think Croyle is more of a natural passer who could find a rhythym and get hot. Of course, Croyle has not shown that he can avoid injury.

Cassel seems to me a gamer, but he never looks like he finds a rhythym and makes a lot of good plays in a row.

Raised On Riots
10-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Cassel seems to throw to an area and not to the spot that will catch the receiver in stride.

I think Croyle is more of a natural passer who could find a rhythym and get hot. Of course, Croyle has not shown that he can avoid injury.

Cassel seems to me a gamer, but he never looks like he finds a rhythym and makes a lot of good plays in a row.

I knew his long passes were suspect, but I had hoped that Cassel could at least, as you say, hit the receivers in stride so that guys like Bowe(who isn't even a favored target now it seems)could use their size and some momentum to get better YAC.

Oh well.

Raised On Riots
10-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Let us tutor Flat Castle in the ways of awesomeness.

Okay Flat, I want you to watch( repeatedly. PLEASE )and learn from plays one and two:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/02FX_o3yu2k&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/02FX_o3yu2k&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now, if you can dink and dunk your way to the 50; ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
ELEVENTYGOOGILLION!!!11111!!!!!LMAO