PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sipping the Boston Kool-Aid

Discuss Thrower
10-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Will it work? Is the Patriot Way the surest means to NFL greatness? It hasn't worked well for many teams, outside of Atlanta with Dimitroff and (as of late) in Denver with McDaniels, so what made Clark and the rest of the Clampett Hunt family go with Pioli as there front office man? Was it the fact the man had never accomplished something without Bill Belichek that made it seem like this was his time to shine? Why not someone working in the Colts' or the Steelers' front offices?

From Don Pioli's point of view, what made Haley seem like a good idea? Perhaps if he would've paid attention to the previous plight of Kansas City, where an over-promoted position coach was totally out of his league in manning an NFL team he would've made a different call when it come to hiring a new HC. Giving Pioli the benefit of the doubt here, which candidate, barring McDaniels, would've been a better choice, given the sparse talent on the roster? What was the point in guaranteeing a back-up QB $28m in greenbacks with only one downfield playmaker (which is over valuing Dwayne Bowe, tbh) and an offensive line as effective as a turnstile stopping Whitlock at a Golden Corral? Given both of these moves, why waste the money trying to get Cassel killed when you could've simply had the standout Coastal Carolina Chanticleer run for his life and catch trick play TD bombs from Mark Bradley to a 2-14 record again? Or try and sign some other back-up scrub from another roster to take murderous blows from opposing defenses?

It's undeniable that a good portion of the red and gold's woes stem from the reign of the dethroned King Carl and his cast of jesters known throughout as "five year plans". But as the rest of the season plays out and little to no improvement is made by this team and more than likely the season afterwards, at point do you look at the top and lay some of the blame on Lamar's kids? They're the common denominator here, it goes without saying. Clark's an educated man, going to SMU I'd assume, so why have such seemingly incompetent moves been made so far? Is Clark and the rest of the clan shortsighted and stupid enough to think that an untested GM and coach are the easiest means to generate money, such that they assumed that an offensive minded head coach could get the most out of an at times exciting attack with Tyler Thigpen and Chan Gailey and keep the team competitive? Maybe it isn't, it still is probably to early to say.

But it seems a little bit like there isn't many at 1 Arrowhead Drive who know exactly what they are doing.

Pioli Zombie
10-25-2009, 10:22 PM
7 games in. Incredible.
Posted via Mobile Device

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
7 games in. Incredible.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah no shit.... we all know what a great situation he inherited... we should be 6-1 easily :rolleyes:

Priest31kc
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
It does still puzzle me that we were much better offensively with Thigpen the 2nd half of last year. Yes, we had Tony G, but still.

Discuss Thrower
10-25-2009, 10:37 PM
It does still puzzle me that we were much better offensively with Thigpen the 2nd half of last year. Yes, we had Tony G, but still.

The problem was the collapse in the second halves of those games... Which could be attributed to poor coaching by our boy Herm and even Chan-man.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:17 PM

yeah losing a hall of fame TE , who would have thought that would have an affect....:doh!:

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:17 PM
The problem was the collapse in the second halves of those games... Which could be attributed to poor coaching by our boy Herm and even Chan-man.

don't forget Dick Curl :shake:

tk13
10-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Thigpen would be horrible without Gonzalez, I think.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Thigpen would be horrible without Gonzalez, I think.

Gonzalez can make just about anyone look good... think about the QB's he played with... shit Sharpe had Elway and Winslow had Fouts... Gonzalez was putting up epic numbers with Tyler fucking Thigpen at the helm... that's why Gonzo is the best ever

Micjones
10-25-2009, 11:23 PM
This new regime is less than halfway into their first season and we're already questioning whether or not this administration will ever pan out.

Unbelievable.

Criticize them for failures 7 games in, but to abandon all hope this early is just crazy.

Discuss Thrower
10-25-2009, 11:24 PM
don't forget Dick Curl :shake:

**** you, I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight after thinking upon that nightmare.

@Micjones:

You don't have to wait for the first few splashes to hit from a tsunami to know the rest of the waves aren't going to be the best for your health. And as someone with better recall than myself posted; SEE: CAMERON, Cam (2007 Miami Dolphins).

It's not the fact that they have lost all but one game so far. It's the fact that it looks like Clowns are running the show on Sundays.

'Hamas' Jenkins
It's pretty clear:

Clark Hunt is a soccer man. He knows jack fuck about football. Therefore, he did what a lot of ignorant businessmen would have done: he hired the most well known guy for the job.

"Well the media says this guy is good. He's the best executive since Hadrian. New England won 3 SB's while he was there. Therefore, he must be the best GM candidate."

Had he done his due diligence, he would have come to a different conclusion.

'Hamas' Jenkins
At what point are motherfuckers going to realize that Pioli has been on this job for 9 months and not 7 weeks?

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:26 PM
It's pretty clear:

Clark Hunt is a soccer man. He knows jack **** about football. Therefore, he did what a lot of ignorant businessmen would have done: he hired the most well known guy for the job.

"Well the media says this guy is good. He's the best executive since Hadrian. New England won 3 SB's while he was there. Therefore, he must be the best GM candidate."

Pioli deserves criticism... no doubt but to completely bag on him after one off-season is not doing due diligence either

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Pioli deserves criticism... no doubt but to completely bag on him after one off-season is not doing due diligence either

When he makes a good move (Wade), I applaud it.
When he makes a stupid move (Rounds 1-7 of the 2009 NFL Draft, the waiver wire scouring, Incest Fest 2009, the AARP FA Bonanza) I bash him.

It's not my fault he looks like an incompetent fuck. It's his.

Micjones
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
At what point are motherfuckers going to realize that Pioli has been on this job for 9 months and not 7 weeks?

We all realize that, but that doesn't change anything.
This kind of abandonment of hope in a program that hasn't had 1 full season yet to mature is ridiculous. Especially only 7 games into the season.

Goldmember
10-25-2009, 11:33 PM
It's pretty clear:

Clark Hunt is a soccer man. He knows jack **** about football. Therefore, he did what a lot of ignorant businessmen would have done: he hired the most well known guy for the job.

"You. Don't. Know. You think you know, but you just don't know. And you never ... will." Jim Mora

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:34 PM
When he makes a good move (Wade), I applaud it.
When he makes a stupid move (Rounds 1-7 of the 2009 NFL Draft, the waiver wire scouring, Incest Fest 2009, the AARP FA Bonanza) I bash him.

It's not my fault he looks like an incompetent ****. It's his.

fair enough... he has been far from perfect, I know I have a lot of gripes.... my point being that a sub par off-season in your first does not necessarily mean he is going to be a bad GM... hell Carl had some nice early years but that did not equate to much of anything.... it's just too early for me either way...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2009, 11:34 PM
We all realize that, but that doesn't change anything.
This kind of abandonment of hope in a program that hasn't had 1 full season yet to mature is ridiculous. Especially only 7 games into the season.

I haven't abandoned any hope. Everything that I thought would happen this season is coming to pass.

I thought if this team properly addressed the OL in the draft and stayed in the 4-3 we could win 7 games. Instead, we did the exact opposite. I revised my expectations accordingly.

I thought there were opportunities to add young, talented players over the wire to make this team more competitive for the long run. Instead, what I've seen is a lot of cronyism.

Same shit, different day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2009, 11:36 PM
"You. Don't. Know. You think you know, but you just don't know. And you never ... will." Jim Mora

I think that's a far more apropos quote to be doled out to the casual fans who think that because Pioli's name was well known that he's somehow an executive genious.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
I think that's a far more apropos quote to be doled out to the casual fans who think that because Pioli's name was well known that he's somehow an executive genious.

I have heard a lot from both sides of the coin some say he can do no wrong.... but I have heard just as many people claim he is an absolute idiot cronie who rode the coattails of papa Belicheck... and is inept at running a NFL franchise so extreme generalizations are working both ways here

Micjones
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
I haven't abandoned any hope. Everything that I thought would happen this season is coming to pass.

I thought if this team properly addressed the OL in the draft and stayed in the 4-3 we could win 7 games. Instead, we did the exact opposite. I revised my expectations accordingly.

I thought there were opportunities to add young, talented players over the wire to make this team more competitive for the long run. Instead, what I've seen is a lot of cronyism.

Same shit, different day.

I expect this staff to live or die on their own terms.
If the 3-4 is their way... They need time to install the players that will make that scheme work here. I can't expect them to run a scheme they don't believe in for the sake of winning football games.

If my job is on the line... I need the freedom to run the system I believe works best for my squad. Even if that doesn't payoff immediately.

And cronyism is the way of the NFL so I'm not at all broken up about that.
That's not unique to 1 Arrowhead Drive.

Discuss Thrower
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
I have heard a lot from both sides of the coin some say he can do no wrong.... but I have heard just as many people claim he is an absolute idiot cronie who rode the coattails of papa Belicheck... and is inept at running a NFL franchise so extreme generalizations are working both ways here

The resumes of former Belichik associates is what works against Pioli. The odds are not in his favor.

WildTurkey
10-25-2009, 11:48 PM
The resumes of former Belichik associates is what works against Pioli. The odds are not in his favor.

true if you are counting coaches..... the book has yet to be written on front office guys.... I'm not saying I love everything he's done... far from it but I'm not going to just assume he is going to suck because past pats assistants have sucked

Discuss Thrower
10-26-2009, 12:14 AM
true if you are counting coaches..... the book has yet to be written on front office guys.... I'm not saying I love everything he's done... far from it but I'm not going to just assume he is going to suck because past pats assistants have sucked

Four FO executives associated with Belichick:
Ozzie Newsome (Cleveland, 1991-95, Baltimore GM 2002-)
Mike Tannebaum (NY Jets 2006-)
Thomas Dimitroff (Altanta 2008-)
Scott Pioli (KC 2009-)

Given Newsome has spent more time away from the Hoodie, I'd disregard him from discussion. Tannenbaum worked in NY after Belichick was gone, and probably dealt more with Herm and Terry Bradway than anyone else. Dimitroff was a scout and his only previous executive experience was as New England's Director of College Scouting spanned from 2003 to 2007. His FA moves were to pick up Michael Turner and Jason Elam initially (as far as I can tell by wiki for '08, whomever made the page didn't make a list of FAs like there exists in the KC page) and of course trading for TG.

That leaves James Gandol-, err Scott Pioli.. Who's moves have been questionable at best.

Short Leash Hootie
10-26-2009, 01:27 AM

what makes you think you are any more informed of what it takes to be an NFL GM than any one of us?

*NEWSFLASH*

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE GREAT GRAMMAR AND CAN BE WITTY AT TIMES DOESN'T MAKE YOU QUALIFIED TO RUN AN NFL TEAM, REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL YOU THINK YOU MIGHT DO.

(Vernon Gholston)

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-26-2009, 01:31 AM
what makes you think you are any more informed of what it takes to be an NFL GM than any one of us?

*NEWSFLASH*

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE GREAT GRAMMAR AND CAN BE WITTY AT TIMES DOESN'T MAKE YOU QUALIFIED TO RUN AN NFL TEAM, REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL YOU THINK YOU MIGHT DO.

(Vernon Gholston)

I'd start by the clear fact that I know a hell of a lot more about football than you do.

(Carson Palmer)

This place was better when you were in your rightful position: banned.

SPchief
10-26-2009, 01:53 AM
It's pretty clear:

Which was who?

Pioli Zombie
10-26-2009, 05:33 AM
I'm sure there were moron Cowboy fans jumping ship in 1989 after 7 games too. There were similar morons in New England Belichicks first year, and in Washington when Joe Gibbs started 0-5 and in San Fran when Walsh started 2-14 and in Pittsburgh when Noll was 1-13 and in NY when Parcells started 3-12-1. You can't deem regimes failures after 7 games. Or Nine months, if you will. Not and have any credibility at least.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
10-26-2009, 06:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, Pioli was the most sought after FO candidate by many teams, no?