PDA

View Full Version : Football Comment left on British newspaper site after watching NFL game...

|Zach|
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
"As far as I can see American football is a marathon of budweiser adverts occasionally interrupted by some "talented bloke" chucking a rugby-like ball to some Billy Whizz halfway up the pitch, intent on scoring points for catching it while a couple of beefcakes try to put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life."

lol

http://deadspin.com/5389548/new-country-same-garbage-football

Buck
10-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Sounds pretty accurate.

Pablo
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
You better shut the hell up, you limey sumbitch or we'll drop our beefcakes in your mum's cup o' tea and then spray 'Merican marmalade all over her funbags.

Get a lil' bit of this bloke.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQ37ZYTFhGs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQ37ZYTFhGs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
he forgot the part about the wrangler jeans

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Bully!!

SDChiefs
Sounds like the reason they lost the war.

Jerm
Haha that's awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
LMAO

CoMoChief
10-26-2009, 04:10 PM
:spock: Meanwhile.....they like soccer? Oops sorry. Futbol

gblowfish
10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Pip Pip!!!
Smashing!!

Pablo
10-26-2009, 04:13 PM
:spock: Meanwhile.....they like soccer? Oops sorry. FutbolFutbol if they spoke Spanish perhaps...I'm fairly certain English folks speak English, and they call it 'football' still.

CoMoChief
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Futbol if they spoke Spanish perhaps...I'm fairly certain English folks speak English, and they call it 'football' still.

eh who the fuck cares........sissy nannies fucking queens.

JD10367
10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Granted, that wasn't a particularly good game to watch. There were a few nice moves by Welker and one nice pass on the Buc TD but, other than that, it was pretty fugly.

Everyone raved about how much better the "pitch" was this year. If that was good, I'd hate to see bad. The Pats and Bucs were slipping around out there like they were pudding-wrestling strippers... and that was with their longer cleats on.

And they can say what they will about "American football", but soccer is the most boring f**king game I've ever seen. A bunch of guys kicking a ball around on a giant field for an hour, while the crowd screams lustily for no reason. Occasionally one of them will kick another player, resulting in that player flopping like they'd been shot with a high-powered rifle, and the ref pulling out a colored card. A few boring-ass hours later, it ends, maybe 1-0, maybe 2-1. Thrilling. It's like hockey, without the fights to entertain you.

Wa-Z
10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
The mass marketing during NFL games definitely takes away from the experience, but I suppose it's profitable for the NFL and those being advertised, just sucks it's shoved down our throats.

Count Alex's Losses
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
God, I love Brits.

Especially having lived there for 11 years...I'm quasi-brit.

Wa-Z
10-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Soccer vs Football debate will never come to an end because of how myopic football fans are.

penguinz
10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Granted, that wasn't a particularly good game to watch. There were a few nice moves by Welker and one nice pass on the Buc TD but, other than that, it was pretty fugly.

Everyone raved about how much better the "pitch" was this year. If that was good, I'd hate to see bad. The Pats and Bucs were slipping around out there like they were pudding-wrestling strippers... and that was with their longer cleats on.

And they can say what they will about "American football", but soccer is the most boring f**king game I've ever seen. A bunch of guys kicking a ball around on a giant field for an hour, while the crowd screams lustily for no reason. Occasionally one of them will kick another player, resulting in that player flopping like they'd been shot with a high-powered rifle, and the ref pulling out a colored card. A few boring-ass hours later, it ends, maybe 1-0, maybe 2-1. Thrilling. It's like hockey, without the fights to entertain you.Dumb

JD10367
10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Dumb

Your mama.

Rausch
10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
God, I love Brits.

Like Eddie Izzard?...

|Zach|
10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I love both Football and Soccer...very different sports. Different viewing experience. Football is what I played and grew up with, I will always love it the most. But Soccer these past 10 years has really grown on me. Very fun to watch, I would take it over baseball any day of the week.

MikeMaslowski
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
God, I love Brits.

you purposely lose your teeth so you can give better bjs?

Johnny Vegas
10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
futball is for sheep shaggers and tossers!!

alanm
10-26-2009, 07:26 PM
"As far as I can see American football is a marathon of budweiser adverts occasionally interrupted by some "talented bloke" chucking a rugby-like ball to some Billy Whizz halfway up the pitch, intent on scoring points for catching it while a couple of beefcakes try to put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life."

lol

http://deadspin.com/5389548/new-country-same-garbage-footballAre you cereal Zach? Soccer has to be one of the most boring sports to watch. On TV at least. Guys running back and forth for 90 minutes to eventually end up with one team winning 1-0. I've tried.. I have tried, but I always end up falling asleep.

carlos3652
10-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Are you cereal Zach? Soccer has to be one of the most boring sports to watch. On TV at least. Guys running back and forth for 90 minutes to eventually end up with one team winning 1-0. I've tried.. I have tried, but I always end up falling asleep.

Eh - you dont follow with passion, you dont have a team you root for that you love, I love my chiefs that much as well, i feel the same passion for my soccer team (Boca Juniors and my national team Argentina)...

Its a culture, you can learn it, but you are born with it really... same way people live breath college/pro football - its that way in other countries but for soccer...

carlos3652
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Soccer has to be one of the most boring sports to watch. On TV at least.

I used to listen to games on the radio as not all games are televised and i kid you not, my adrenaline would be so high during those 90 min like no other...

carlos3652
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
By the way, if you ever watched a , english premier, championship german 1st, 2nd division games... you would see how hard those f'ers hit.... they take people out, and fouls are rarely called...

MaxFects
10-26-2009, 07:46 PM
how did they not mention the erection commericals

Donger
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I have no particular comment.

thurman merman
10-26-2009, 08:13 PM
some "talented bloke" chucking a rugby-like ball to some Billy Whizz halfway up the pitch, intent on scoring points for catching it while a couple of beefcakes try to put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life."

ROFL

|Zach|
10-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Are you cereal Zach? Soccer has to be one of the most boring sports to watch. On TV at least. Guys running back and forth for 90 minutes to eventually end up with one team winning 1-0. I've tried.. I have tried, but I always end up falling asleep.

I totally disagree. No biggie though, won't be able to convince anyone otherwise.

boogblaster
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
F*** them and the Queen ...............

Dottefan
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I love both Football and Soccer...very different sports. Different viewing experience. Football is what I played and grew up with, I will always love it the most. But Soccer these past 10 years has really grown on me. Very fun to watch, I would take it over baseball any day of the week.

THis

JD10367
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Eh - you dont follow with passion, you dont have a team you root for that you love, I love my chiefs that much as well, i feel the same passion for my soccer team (Boca Juniors and my national team Argentina)...

Its a culture, you can learn it, but you are born with it really... same way people live breath college/pro football - its that way in other countries but for soccer...

It's pretty simple. The reason Americans can't grasp the hold soccer has on the rest of the world actually has little to do with how good or bad of a sport it might be.

#1: Most other countries don't have multiple sports the way the U.S. does. They might have a freaky small regional sport, like cricket in England. But other countries don't have large nationally-televised big-money sports the way the U.S. does with football, baseball, basketball, hockey, and even golf. So, most other countries have become fiercely attached to soccer, especially their national team. Which is the other piece of the puzzle, because....

#2: Most other countries tend to be pretty damn small and pretty damn packed close together. As a result, the entire national identity has become wrapped up in their soccer team. In the U.S., we don't have densely-packed countries like Europe or South America or Africa; we have states, and the states don't have nearly the sense of cultural independence from each other as say, France from Spain and Spain from England and whatnot. Soccer, for the rest of the world, involves national pride and national identity. When the World Cup rolls around, it's like the Olympics.

For these two reasons, soccer will always be the biggest thing outside of the U.S., and for the same reasons soccer will never become anything here in the States. Unless the other major sports all fold, and each state in the Union creates a team, and we have a 50-team U.S. league. But even then, without the cultural differences, I doubt that a "Kansas vs. Oklahoma" soccer match would cause enough passsion for there to be rioting and tear gas needed. :D

When you get down into a specific country, sure, their games are more like our rivalries. When Madrid plays Barcelona for example, or when Chelsea plays Manchester United, those games are more akin to what we're used to. But, even then, U.S. city rivalries in a sport rarely reach the levels of dislike generated by these soccer matches. Some college football and college basketball games might, as well as some big rivalries (Red Sox and Yankees, for one).

HMc
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
It's pretty simple. The reason Americans can't grasp the hold soccer has on the rest of the world actually has little to do with how good or bad of a sport it might be.

#1: Most other countries don't have multiple sports the way the U.S. does. They might have a freaky small regional sport, like cricket in England. But other countries don't have large nationally-televised big-money sports the way the U.S. does with football, baseball, basketball, hockey, and even golf. So, most other countries have become fiercely attached to soccer, especially their national team. Which is the other piece of the puzzle, because....

#2: Most other countries tend to be pretty damn small and pretty damn packed close together. As a result, the entire national identity has become wrapped up in their soccer team. In the U.S., we don't have densely-packed countries like Europe or South America or Africa; we have states, and the states don't have nearly the sense of cultural independence from each other as say, France from Spain and Spain from England and whatnot. Soccer, for the rest of the world, involves national pride and national identity. When the World Cup rolls around, it's like the Olympics.

For these two reasons, soccer will always be the biggest thing outside of the U.S., and for the same reasons soccer will never become anything here in the States. Unless the other major sports all fold, and each state in the Union creates a team, and we have a 50-team U.S. league. But even then, without the cultural differences, I doubt that a "Kansas vs. Oklahoma" soccer match would cause enough passsion for there to be rioting and tear gas needed. :D

When you get down into a specific country, sure, their games are more like our rivalries. When Madrid plays Barcelona for example, or when Chelsea plays Manchester United, those games are more akin to what we're used to. But, even then, U.S. city rivalries in a sport rarely reach the levels of dislike generated by these soccer matches. Some college football and college basketball games might, as well as some big rivalries (Red Sox and Yankees, for one).

Well put, besides describing cricket as a "freaky small regional sport"

JD10367
10-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Well put, besides describing cricket as a "freaky small regional sport"

It was the first thing that came to mind, but it was only to illustrate the point that there are few other areas of the world that cover as much territory as the U.S. and have so many major big-money sports like we do. You can substitute curling, lacrosse, or whatever. Even rugby and Australian rules football are more regional and less funded when compared to baseball, basketball, and hockey, I would think (but I might be wrong).

Ultimately, because of the way the U.S. was born and the way it grew (and the way the sports grew), I think it'll always be "soccer in the rest of the world" vs. "football, baseball, basketball, and hockey in the U.S.". (Not counting Japan, of course, which has had baseball almost as long as we have.)

And, ultimately, because of what I postulated, why SHOULD Britain give a shit about American football? I don't think they should, or would, until their own leagues of American-style football become popular and well-funded. Much like soccer to Americans, the NFL to Brits is unfamiliar, and ultimately they have no rooting interest in it.

Param
10-26-2009, 11:14 PM

Les Bleus gonna spank Ireland on the 14th of November.

:thumb:

journeyscarab
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Archie was right...England is a pillowbiter country!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dKpHtc9F9M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dKpHtc9F9M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

listopencil
10-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Just stopped by to say that I hate soccer as a sport for adult men. I tried to watch but there are never more than three people doing anything at any given time.

T-post Tom
10-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Archie was right...England is a pillowbiter country!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dKpHtc9F9M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dKpHtc9F9M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

maybe LJ is an "All in The Family" fan

rambleonthruthefog
10-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Say what you want about watching soccer, but the fact that i don't have to sit through commercials every few minutes greatly enhances its watchability.

Wa-Z
10-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Say what you want about watching soccer, but the fact that i don't have to sit through commercials every few minutes greatly enhances its watchability.

:thumb:

Wa-Z
10-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Soccer is an art, it takes a much more finesse touch than football does, and there is much more creativity involved. The free flow of the ball allows for a wider array of strategy, ie points of attack, counter-attacks etc. Dribbling, passing, and kicking a ball is much harder than it looks, and then you see the kind of moves, passes and shots that professionals pull off..amazing! I would love to watch a bunch of football players try to play soccer.

Those that think soccer is boring don't really know what to watch for..to me it's always interesting to watch the match-up between the wingers and the full backs. The wings are such a pivotal point of attack, players like Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ribery attack from the wings and it's always fun to try and watch other players try to shut them down. I also enjoy watching defensive midfielders..they destruct opposing teams attacks but are also there to support attacks..Michael Essien is probably the best one out there on the top of my head. These are just a couple examples..

Though the greatest thing about the game is that there are so many levels of competition, from the domestic titles to the Champions League to the World Cup. Right now is the best time to watch soccer because the World Cup is right around the corner! Players are churning in order to make their teams squads. In November there will be Qualifier-playoffs for some big European teams like France and Portugal, win you're in lose you're out.

Wa-Z
10-27-2009, 02:31 AM
I do enjoy watching football though, maybe it has lost some of its burst because the chiefs have been terrible..

Hologide
10-27-2009, 07:08 AM
US Football > football, in the eyes of this limey.

It'll never catch on in the mainstream here because of the stigma attatched to the sport's name though. Shame really, since the game has a massive cult following.

StcChief
10-27-2009, 07:45 AM
They still haven't gotten over losing their "empire". F Limeys. go play succer.

Goldmember
10-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Another reason soccer is so popular throughout the world is because it is a poor man's sport; it only takes one ball to play it.

Count Alex's Losses
10-27-2009, 08:11 AM
it only takes one ball to play it.
http://grantburwash.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/soccer-player-kicked-in-balls1.jpg

loochy
10-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Another reason soccer is so popular throughout the world is because it is a poor man's sport; it only takes one ball to play it.

While I'd like to agree with you, I must say the following.

American Football - 1 ball and no special equipment (you can play tackle bare, or you can play touch)

vailpass
10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Soccer fags.

bevischief
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
God, I love Brits.

That explains a lot...

ROFL

Simply Red
10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
:LOL: Awesome, thanks Zach. :LOL:

Inspector
10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
One of my grandaughters plays soccer. One of my grandsons plays football - the real football.

CoMoChief
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Soccer - Yuck, though they are some of the best athletes in the world. The game is just too slow paced and boring

Baseball can be boring...and I grew up playing it. But there are a lot of games, 162 of them a season. IMO that's too much. Playoff baseball on the other hand is VERY fun to watch.

Gonzo
10-27-2009, 10:37 AM
To each his own I suppose...

Lumpy and I have had the soccer discussion already regarding our boy. If he wants to play the "sport" I will send him to millitary school.
Soccer is a sport for people that have no actual athletic abillity except for running fast and not using their hands.

Frazod
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
There are way, way, WAY too many commercials in NFL games. Nothing but spots for shitty beer and boner pills, like we really need to see any more of those. It is absolutely ridiculous. This is another reason I'm starting to watch football more on Saturdays than Sundays.

However, I'd rather watch the commercials of a football game than soccer. Fuck soccer. Leave that shit to the third world goat herders.

Gonzo
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
There are way, way, WAY too many commercials in NFL games. Nothing but spots for shitty beer and boner pills, like we really need to see any more of those. It is absolutely ridiculous. This is another reason I'm starting to watch football more on Saturdays than Sundays.

However, I'd rather watch the commercials of a football game than soccer. Fuck soccer. Leave that shit to the third world goat herders.

ROFL:thumb:

This

Wa-Z
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Third world goat herders don't get to watch any sports, dumbass.

Jack
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Rugby. . .

|Zach|
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Lumpy and I have had the soccer discussion already regarding our boy. If he wants to play the "sport" I will send him to millitary school.
Soccer is a sport for people that have no actual athletic abillity except for running fast and not using their hands.

See this is so stupid. Elite world class soccer players are far and away better athletes than NFL players.

I don't think everyone should like Soccer, its no big deal...I get it. What I don't understand is why people have to make up stupid shit like the bolded comment instead of saying they simply don't like it.

Lumpy
10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I REFUSE to have a soccer sticker on the back of my SUV!

bobbything
10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I always hated the argument of "I'd like to see an (insert various sport here) play soccer." It's not a real argument. It could easily be said for anything. Golf, basketball, tennis, whatever.

I won't argue that it takes a tremendous amount of talent, finesse, and toughness to play soccer. And I'll never make fun of anyone who plays any sport; because I know how difficult it is to get to a competitive level at any sport. However, I will say that soccer fans are the most vocal fans I've ever met. Any criticism, or even "meh" attitude, when it comes to their sport is met with confrontation and "you don't get it because you don't know what you're looking at."

I think soccer gets a bad rep for the most part. Much of it has to do with all the flopping and feigning of injuries that is so prevalent. Part of it has to do with it being such a low-scoring affair (and the fact that it can end in a tie) after both teams put forth so much effort. Much of the time, what's to show for it? A 0-0 tie.

Regardless, I have the utmost respect for soccer players. It's a difficult game to play. I just wish soccer fans wouldn't get so defensive when someone says, "I don't like it."

|Zach|
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I just wish soccer fans wouldn't get so defensive when someone says, "I don't like it."

People don't say they "don't like it" they go on and on with baseless stupid shit about soccer.

I have to say I pretty much disagree with your entire post. It has been my experience the anti soccer crowd goes a lot more out of their way than the pro soccer crowd. Just look at this thread...the soccer crowd talks about how they like the game and why. Whereas the other side just makes up gay shit, and posts stupid pictures.

Gonzo
10-27-2009, 12:07 PM
See this is so stupid. Elite world class soccer players are far and away better athletes than NFL players.

I don't think everyone should like Soccer, its no big deal...I get it. What I don't understand is why people have to make up stupid shit like the bolded comment instead of saying they simply don't like it.

I don't like it.

Soccer is for commies.

bobbything
10-27-2009, 12:10 PM
People don't say they "don't like it" they go on and on with baseless stupid shit about soccer.

I have to say I pretty much disagree with your entire post. It has been my experience the anti soccer crowd goes a lot more out of their way than the pro soccer crowd. Just look at this thread...the soccer crowd talks about how they like the game and why. Whereas the other side just makes up gay shit, and posts stupid pictures.
Well, your experiences have been different than mine. I have a couple of friends that just love soccer. I don't hate it, I'm just kind of "whatever" about it. And they get all pissy when I don't get excited like they do.

It's the same way on another message board I frequent. There are tons of soccer posts that kind of get irritating to have to weed through.

Goldmember
10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
You play to win the game, not a tie. That's what's great about baseball, no ties! No sport should end in a tie. Play til you win or die trying!

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Holy shit, I really enjoy your takes for the most part, but that has got to be the dumbest f***ing thing I have read in the past couple months. Jesus.

Frazod
10-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Holy shit, I really enjoy your takes for the most part, but that has got to be the dumbest f***ing thing I have read in the past couple months. Jesus.

Wouldn't it be funny if he learned to play soccer at the military school? LMAO

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
You play to win the game, not a tie. That's what's great about baseball, no ties! No sport should end in a tie. Play til you win or die trying!

Not really, it's a point based system in regular season (group stages of tournaments) as opposed to winning percentage (like all U.S. team based sports). It's not like a tie doesn't achieve anything. There are no ties in knock out stages, though.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't like soccer and I never have. Growing up, I was pretty much forced to play. But, I played goal keeper. That was easy. I would just verbally harass the other team to the point that they would kick the ball right at me in order to try to hurt me.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 04:13 PM

You, sir, are unAmerican and should be tried on terrorist charges. Soccer over Americas pasttime? Blasphemy.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Goal keepers use their hands. In fact, I think the Chiefs could use a few goal keepers.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I used to listen to games on the radio as not all games are televised and i kid you not, my adrenaline would be so high during those 90 min like no other...

Thats because they yell everything. Seriouslly. Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Followed by 3 more times of saying it. Maybe its just cause the announcers might see a goal a decade so they get really excited.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I would like it if the announcers the English (english Us. Or UK) would do a better job giving me a feeling of if something or important. I remember someone in a world cup getting a red card and it was like the teams best player out for the game + 1 and they were like "for shame" for so and so and didn't mention it again. The people falling down suck, I don't have much beef with the actual game. I like the video games (fifa EA sports has great announcers) I would also like to have more stats or something I can grasp. I guess they may have (tackle stats?) just hard to for a stat head like me to have a tournament and the leading scorer have 2 goals and assist and have that be a "legendary preformance"

Skip Towne
10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't like soccer cause it sucks.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 04:26 PM

dumb parents, dumb conversation, dumb kids, a whole generation of left lane drivers.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 04:26 PM

They kick a freakin ball, run after it and kick it again. It takes coordination thats all. And lots of running. Football encompases so much more. Throwing, catching, kicking, running etc. And they don't even need to score in soccer and its acceptable. Well, we don't have a lot of talent so one score should suffice. If not, its okay. Hell, the Redskins scored twice against us. They would be world champions if they were a soccer team.

HemiEd
10-28-2009, 04:35 PM
And they can say what they will about "American football", but soccer is the most boring f**king game I've ever seen. A bunch of guys kicking a ball around on a giant field for an hour, while the crowd screams lustily for no reason. Occasionally one of them will kick another player, resulting in that player flopping like they'd been shot with a high-powered rifle, and the ref pulling out a colored card. A few boring-ass hours later, it ends, maybe 1-0, maybe 2-1. Thrilling. It's like hockey, without the fights to entertain you.

Pretty well sums it up.
It is a poor countries sport, all you need is one ball and a big ass field, with a fish sein at each end.

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
They kick a freakin ball, run after it and kick it again. It takes coordination thats all. And lots of running. Football encompases so much more. Throwing, catching, kicking, running etc. And they don't even need to score in soccer and its acceptable. Well, we don't have a lot of talent so one score should suffice. If not, its okay. Hell, the Redskins scored twice against us. They would be world champions if they were a soccer team.

Do you know how much harder it is to receive a ball crossed to you from 20 meters out without using your hands than it is to catch one thrown to you from 50 meters out? Do you know how hard it is to put precise spins on balls when you pass/cross them so it reaches your target without being intercepted? Do you know how hard it is to control the ball on the run when a dude is trying to take it away from you? I mean, these are some ludicrous comments you guys are making.

Every professional sport takes insane amounts of skill and groomed talent, quit being ignorant. I have the same argument about baseball with foreign people who don't get it and think it's some talentless hacks hitting and catching the ball when in reality it's probably the hardest of all sports to be "pro" good at.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Do you know how much harder it is to receive a ball crossed to you from 20 meters out without using your hands than it is to catch one thrown to you from 50 meters out? Do you know how hard it is to put precise spins on balls when you pass/cross them so it reaches your target without being intercepted? Do you know how hard it is to control the ball on the run when a dude is trying to take it away from you? I mean, these are some ludicrous comments you guys are making.

Every professional sport takes insane amounts of skill and groomed talent, quit being ignorant. I have the same argument about baseball with foreign people who don't get it and think it's some talentless hacks hitting and catching the ball when in reality it's probably the hardest of all sports to be "pro" good at.

It really has nothing to do with the above. Some Americans don't consider it good "sport" unless it is full-contact. That's pretty much it.

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
It really has nothing to do with the above. Some Americans don't consider it good "sport" unless it is full-contact. That's pretty much it.

I'm 100% cool with that. What I, like some others here defending soccer, DON'T get is people saying it's a game that requires no skill/talent.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm 100% cool with that. What I, like some others here defending soccer, DON'T get is people saying it's a game that requires no skill/talent.

Anyone who says that has obviously never played the game and, therefore, has a moot opinion.

OnTheWarpath58
10-28-2009, 04:45 PM

I'd be willing to bet that if you started a poll asking why Americans don't like soccer, and included "it's not a full-contact sport," that reason would rank behind "hooliganism," "blatant acting on fouls" and "90% of play is between the boxes."

Frazod
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if you started a poll asking why Americans don't like soccer, and included "it's not a full-contact sport," that reason would rank behind "hooliganism," "blatant acting on fouls" and "90% of play is between the boxes."

I don't like it because it's boring, tedious and there's almost no scoring. If all these fucking punks were watching an exciting game instead of this crap, perhaps they'd get all that energy out of their systems DURING THE GAME and wouldn't feel the need to destroy the stadium and surrounding neighborhood afterward.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Possibly. But, I'd be willing to be that 90% of the play in football is between the end zones, too.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't like it because it's boring, tedious and there's almost no scoring. If all these ****ing punks were watching an exciting game instead of this crap, perhaps they'd get all that energy out of their systems DURING THE GAME and wouldn't feel the need to destroy the stadium and surrounding neighborhood afterward.

So, you find a 10-7 football game as equally boring?

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Blatant acting on fouls is annoying, I agree, but it's something fairly new to the game and isn't done by everyone. As far as the other two? Hooliganism is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with the game itself and "90% of play is between the boxes" is HIGHLY dependent on 17 different factors. Even if that was a fact 100% of the time though, there still would be nothing wrong with that. It's definitely not catered to people with ADD, I'll say that much.

Frazod
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
So, you find a 10-7 football game as equally boring?

At least a 10-7 game should feature some hard hits and good defense.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
At least a 10-7 game should feature some hard hits and good defense.

And a 1-1 soccer tie would also feature some very good defense. Like I said, when pressed, most Americans will acknowledge it's about the contact. Would you still watch the NFL if it was no-contact/flag?

One of the interesting dynamics of soccer is that the offense and defense is on the field at the same time, of course.

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Possibly. But, I'd be willing to be that 90% of the play in football is between the end zones, too.

I think the problem here is that there's no blatant progress and there's a constant flow of back and forth (whether it's 50-50 for both teams or 80-20 with one team dominating). American football provides clear goals which are to be reached in a set amount of tries. It also provides people with constant breaks so they can reset their attention spans.

Donger
10-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I think the problem here is that there's no blatant progress and there's a constant flow of back and forth (whether it's 50-50 for both teams or 80-20 with one team dominating). American football provides clear goals which are to be reached in a set amount of tries. It also provides people with constant breaks so they can reset their attention spans.

So, you are saying that Americans don't like soccer because they have limited attention spans?

HemiEd
10-28-2009, 04:57 PM
It's definitely not catered to people with ADD, I'll say that much.

So, if you think soccer is boring, and looks like a disorganized free for all, that person has ADD?

Pants
10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
So, you are saying that Americans don't like soccer because they have limited attention spans?

I'm saying it's a factor for some. I know it is for me. I can't just sit down and watch, say, Brazilian league soccer - I get bored a lot more easily because I don't know any of the players or the teams.

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
So, if you think soccer is boring, and looks like a disorganized free for all, that person has ADD?

I wouldn't say that. But, mostly likely, a person who has such an opinion is not aware of the rules of the game, let alone the dynamics of it.

Pants
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM

No, thinking something is boring is totally subjective. Seeing a disorganized free for all just means you have no idea what's going on.

Pablo
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Eh, the only sports I truly care to watch are football and college basketball. Soccer and ice-soccer(hockey) just don't captivate me; and never probably will. Not to say soccer players aren't tremendous athletes, I just can't appreciate the offensive dynamic of the game.

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Eh, the only sports I truly care to watch are football and college basketball. Soccer and ice-soccer(hockey) just don't captivate me; and never probably will. Not to say soccer players aren't tremendous athletes, I just can't appreciate the offensive dynamic of the game.

Do you have an average-sized penis?

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:09 PM

I have played in my life in competitive sports, Football, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball and even Bowling. Soccer is the least difficult of all the sports I mentioned. As well as most boring to play, hence the reason I quit playing and never got into watching. Its a freaking track meet with a ball. Hockey, they score ALOT more goals then soccer and the goal is one tenth the size. Why, you ask? Cause Hockey players are talented. They don't just run and kick a ball. Soccer is the Nascar of team sports. Right foot down, turn left.

Pablo
10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Do you have an average-sized penis?Would you like me to e-mail you pictures?

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
And a 1-1 soccer tie would also feature some very good defense. Like I said, when pressed, most Americans will acknowledge it's about the contact. Would you still watch the NFL if it was no-contact/flag?

One of the interesting dynamics of soccer is that the offense and defense is on the field at the same time, of course.

When did baseball become a contact sport?

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Most Americans that I know, agree with Frazod. Its boring, tedius and no one EVER scores. Has nothing to do with the contact sport. There is contact in Soccer just as much so as basketball.

Pants
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
I have played in my life in competitive sports, Football, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball and even Bowling. Soccer is the least difficult of all the sports I mentioned. As well as most boring to play, hence the reason I quit playing and never got into watching. Its a freaking track meet with a ball. Hockey, they score ALOT more goals then soccer and the goal is one tenth the size. Why, you ask? Cause Hockey players are talented. They don't just run and kick a ball. Soccer is the Nascar of team sports. Right foot down, turn left.

I can tell from this post that you have never played competitive soccer. Playing during gym in junior high doesn't really count, bro.

I've played football before too! And it was a lot easier than soccer for me, because running and catching the ball is a shit ton easier than controlling a ball with my feet and placing it where I want it to go when I pass it.

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Would you like me to e-mail you pictures?

LMAO

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
When did baseball become a contact sport?

Huh?

HemiEd
10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
No, thinking something is boring is totally subjective. Seeing a disorganized free for all just means you have no idea what's going on.

I can not argue with that, especially since I feel the same way about hockey.

Did you know, they have penalties for hitting that little black puck to far?ROFL

Stinger
10-28-2009, 05:17 PM

Not sure if it has been said or not but most people are not even aware of how much actual contact there is in the game. And in an upper level match there is a lot of contact.

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Not sure if it has been said or not but most people are not even aware of how much actual contact there is in the game. And in an upper level match there is a lot of contact.

Yeah, but they don't fall down a lot. Maybe that's more accurate.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I can tell from this post that you have never played competitive soccer. Playing during gym in junior high doesn't really count, bro.

I've played football before too! And it was a lot easier than soccer for me, because running and catching the ball is a shit ton easier than controlling a ball with my feet and placing it where I want it to go when I pass it.

I have in fact played a COMPETETIVE LEAGUE of soccer when I was younger. You not having foot eye coordination doesn't make it a tougher sport. If you get into accidents all the time driving, because of your lack of ability to drive, does it make it a tougher form of travel over flying? No, I would say flying is more difficult. Hence the reason any idiot gets their drivers licensce.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Huh?

You said Americans don't like Soccer because its not a contact sport. Baseball is not a contact sport. Yet its Americas pasttime.

Pants
10-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I have in fact played a COMPETETIVE LEAGUE of soccer when I was younger. You not having foot eye coordination doesn't make it a tougher sport. If you get into accidents all the time driving, because of your lack of ability to drive, does it make it a tougher form of travel over flying? No, I would say flying is more difficult. Hence the reason any idiot gets their drivers licensce.

My eye-foot coordination is fine, thanks. You saying soccer is a track meet told me everything I need to know, dude.

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
You said Americans don't like Soccer because its not a contact sport. Baseball is not a contact sport. Yet its Americas pasttime.

I'm not sure why it is "America's Pastime" or who declared it as such. Some clever marketer, I'd imagine.

But, let me ask you this: would you be just as rabid a football fan if there were not any contact?

Stinger
10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
But, let me ask you this: would you be just as rabid a football fan if there were not any contact?

Unfortunately it is getting to that on the offensive side of the ball. And if you think about it now WR are calling for a flag on every missed pass, it is a lot like taking a dive in soccer.

Tactical Funky
10-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I spent a good portion of my childhood in Spain, so I have an inherent appreciation for fútbol that stems from both watching and playing the sport. I developed finesse, quickness, and endurance that would help out immensely when it came to playing other sports later on in life.

American football, however, is nearest and dearest to my heart. I played in high school and there's nothing quite like strapping on the pads, lowering your shoulder, and legally hitting another human being as hard as you can. :evil:

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure why it is "America's Pastime" or who declared it as such. Some clever marketer, I'd imagine.

Yes. I love everything about football. Playing it, watching it. Without contact it would still take extreme amounts of talent to play. Would I like it as much as I do now? Probably not. But everyone likes seeing the big hits.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:43 PM
My eye-foot coordination is fine, thanks. You saying soccer is a track meet told me everything I need to know, dude.

That you have no logical reason as to how a soccer player is more talented then a football player. Just because you say so. We should take your word for it. "They have to put a spin on a ball." So do football players. "They have to run and kick at the same time." Uhh. So do football players. They have to not touch it with their hands? Ok, so? Football players have to be good with their hands too.

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes. I love everything about football. Playing it, watching it. Without contact it would still take extreme amounts of talent to play. Would I like it as much as I do now? Probably not. But everyone likes seeing the big hits.

Okay, then your answer cannot be "Yes."

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Up until the late 80s early 90s baseball was by far the most popular sport in America. And had been since the 1800s. At least of the 4 major team sports. Constant strikes has bittered the country to it and in slipped the NFL to pick up where baseball left off.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Okay, then your answer cannot be "Yes."

You asked basically if I would still love the sport of football. The answer would in fact be yes. I will play 2 hand touch just as quick as I will tackle. Playing it is fun. Kicking a freaking ball around is not.

Dayze
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't like soccer cause it sucks.

that's awesome.
ROFL

clear, and to the point. May I use this as my answer when people ask me in real life if I like soccer?

Donger
10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
You asked basically if I would still love the sport of football. The answer would in fact be yes. I will play 2 hand touch just as quick as I will tackle. Playing it is fun. Kicking a freaking ball around is not.

No, I didn't. I asked if you be just as rabid a fan. You stated "yes," and then went on to acknowledge that you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
No, I didn't. I asked if you be just as rabid a fan. You stated "yes," and then went on to acknowledge that you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Would you like soccer just as much if there wasn't a ball? Being a rabid fan describes my love for it. I would still be cheering the Chiefs on yelling in screaming at the TV when they played. Therefore yes. Would I like it as much. Of course not.

Donger
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Would you like soccer just as much if there wasn't a ball? Being a rabid fan describes my love for it. I would still be cheering the Chiefs on yelling in screaming at the TV when they played. Therefore yes. Would I like it as much. Of course not.

I don't like soccer.

Pants
10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
That you have no logical reason as to how a soccer player is more talented then a football player. Just because you say so. We should take your word for it. "They have to put a spin on a ball." So do football players. "They have to run and kick at the same time." Uhh. So do football players. They have to not touch it with their hands? Ok, so? Football players have to be good with their hands too.

When did I ever say soccer takes more talent, you nincompoop? I was saying the opposite about ALL sports, even NASCAR, which takes more driving skills, better reaction time and extreme physical condition that you can even start to comprehend. What I WAS saying is that soccer takes enormous amount of talent and skill while you were saying it's a track meet because all it involves is running.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
When did I ever say soccer takes more talent, you nincompoop? I was saying the opposite about ALL sports, even NASCAR, which takes more driving skills, better reaction time and extreme physical condition that you can even start to comprehend. What I WAS saying is that soccer takes enormous amount of talent and skill while you were saying it's a track meet because all it involves is running.

Zack did and you jumped on the bandwagon talking crap to me when I was arguing with him that they didn't. Im saying its a track meet, you idiot, because all they do is run and kick the F***ING ball. What else do they do? Nothing. Their sole purpose in the game is to run to the ball and kick it. They don't have to catch. They don't have to throw. Its not difficult to kick a freakin ball. Thats why when youre 3 they start you out with KICKBALL. Its essentially soccer with baseball rules. Kids aren't good enough to hit a small ball so they make it easier for them.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:40 PM

So if your argument is, professional soccer players are better at kicking the ball then I would suspect that you are right. Talented at kicking the ball. Sure. Have a lot of stamina. Most definately. Extremely talented athletes? Not so much.

Pants
10-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Zack did and you jumped on the bandwagon talking crap to me when I was arguing with him that they didn't. Im saying its a track meet, you idiot, because all they do is run and kick the F***ING ball. What else do they do? Nothing. Their sole purpose in the game is to run to the ball and kick it. They don't have to catch. They don't have to throw. Its not difficult to kick a freakin ball. Thats why when youre 3 they start you out with KICKBALL. Its essentially soccer with baseball rules. Kids aren't good enough to hit a small ball so they make it easier for them.

Of course it's easy to kick a ball, just like it's easy to throw a baseball or a rock. Kicking it with skill requires a lot more than catching a f***ing football OR anything for that matter, though. Controlling the ball on the run takes a lot more skill than running with a football in your hands. Receiving a cross and not letting the ball bounce off you BUT controlling it instead takes a lot more skill than running into a running back to bring him down. Am I saying that pro football players are not freaks of nature? No, because they most definitely are. But you saying "ALL IT TAKES IS RUNNING AND KICKING THE BALL" when you talk about soccer, makes you sound quite retarded to be honest with you.

And comapring kick ball to soccer is just... I'm mean serioulsy, we're done.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Youre joking right? They drive in a freakin circle. If there is an accident they do caution laps. Drive in Southern California. It may not be as fast but you need quick reaction times to avoid the millions of idiots on the road who shouldn't even have their license. If you were to say INDY car or Formula one. I would have agreed with you. But NASCAR? ROFL

Pants
10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Youre joking right? They drive in a freakin circle. If there is an accident they do caution laps. Drive in Southern California. It may not be as fast but you need quick reaction times to avoid the millions of idiots on the road who shouldn't even have their license. If you were to say INDY car or Formula one. I would have agreed with you. But NASCAR? ROFL

Do you really want to go into this? Formula 1 drivers are the most skilled drivers in the world, yes. But saying NASCAR takes no skill is utterly stupid. Formula 1 never reaches the speeds of NASCAR, I want to see you take any NASCAR turn at 195mph, lol. Actually, scratch that, you're stupid, but I don't wish death upon you.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Of course it's easy to kick a ball, just like it's easy to throw a baseball or a rock. Kicking it with skill requires a lot more than catching a f***ing football OR anything for that matter, though. Controlling the ball on the run takes a lot more skill than running with a football in your hands. Receiving a cross and not letting the ball bounce off you BUT controlling it instead takes a lot more skill than running into a running back to bring him down. Am I saying that pro football players are not freaks of nature? No, because they most definitely are. But you saying "ALL IT TAKES IS RUNNING AND KICKING THE BALL" when you talk about soccer, makes you sound quite retarded to be honest with you.

And comapring kick ball to soccer is just... I'm mean serioulsy, we're done.

Youre an idiot of epic proportion. Soccer may have been hard for you. But most naturally talented people who play multiple sports would argue with you. I have played every sport. Most of them in a competitive league. Others recreationally and find soccer not only boring. But not that difficult. Hitting a ball 3 inches or so in diameter coming at you at 100 mph=To kicking a ball thats a foot in diameter IYO? Youre a F*cktard

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Do you really want to go into this? Formula 1 drivers are the most skilled drivers in the world, yes. But saying NASCAR takes no skill is utterly stupid. Formula 1 never reaches the speeds of NASCAR, I want to see you take any NASCAR turn at 195mph, lol. Actually, scratch that, you're stupid, but I don't wish death upon you.

Formula 1 never reaches the speeds of NASCAR. Nascar averages 160 around those turns you are talking about and get up to 195 on the straightaways. Formula 1 is routinely over 200 mph on street courses. Youre so stupid youre probably doing a guy and believing him when he tells you its not ghey.

Pants
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Youre an idiot of epic proportion. Soccer may have been hard for you. But most naturally talented people who play multiple sports would argue with you. I have played every sport. Most of them in a competitive league. Others recreationally and find soccer not only boring. But not that difficult. Hitting a ball 3 inches or so in diameter coming at you at 100 mph=To kicking a ball thats a foot in diameter IYO? Youre a F*cktard

I just think you have a misconception of what's considered being "good" at soccer. But yeah, I agree, it's a lot harder to hit 95mph ball with a bat than anything in soccer, no argument there. But I was talking more about football to you, though.

SDChiefs
10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I just think you have a misconception of what's considered being "good" at soccer. But yeah, I agree, it's a lot harder to hit 95mph ball with a bat than anything in soccer, no argument there. But I was talking more about football to you, though.

What I am gathering from you is that anything you can't do, or have trouble doing, other people that do it are talented. I don't believe that to be the case. I can't eat 40 hot dogs in one sitting. But I don't believe the person who can, does so because of talent. In NASCAR they drive fast, but they do so in a circle. No more talent involved then what anyone of us have. Just most of us don't have the money to put together a pit crew and expensive car and do it. Or the desire to do so.

Donger
10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Formula 1 never reaches the speeds of NASCAR

Yes, they do. And they out-turn and out-brake them, too.

Pants
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM

I just watched the Japanese Gran Prix on SPEED a few weeks ago and they hit something like 310kph on that straight, which is what, something like 190mph? The non-hairpin turns were like around 140-180kph. Obviously F1 cars are much faster and designed specifically for turning, but NASCAR is constantly faster - the drivers don't experience as many G's, but they ARE always going crazy fast and then there are the walls they have to deal with...

Pants
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
What I am gathering from you is that anything you can't do, or have trouble doing, other people that do it are talented. I don't believe that to be the case. I can't eat 40 hot dogs in one sitting. But I don't believe the person who can, does so because of talent. In NASCAR they drive fast, but they do so in a circle. No more talent involved then what anyone of us have. Just most of us don't have the money to put together a pit crew and expensive car and do it. Or the desire to do so.

Haha, I can probably do some things with a soccer ball you didn't think were possible, but I'm by no means gifted - otherwise I'd be playing pro soccer, wouldn't I?

Oh and why don't you grab a soccer ball and try to do this:

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FXiTdjn5ZVY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

You probably think that's easy to do, don't you? ROFL

Donger
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I just watched the Japanese Gran Prix on SPEED a few weeks ago and they hit something like 310kph on that straight, which is what, something like 190mph? The non-hairpin turns were like around 140-180kph. Obviously F1 cars are much faster and designed specifically for turning, but NASCAR is constantly faster - the drivers don't experience as many G's, but they ARE always going crazy fast and then there are the walls they have to deal with...

Yes, they go around is ovals really quickly. F1 cars are capable of well over 200mph, but most tracks don't permit it.

And, if you want to see walls, please take a peek at the Monaco GP:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sb121FalwAg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sb121FalwAg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Easy 6
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Decision - Donger

svuba
10-28-2009, 11:40 PM

Well I guess its your lucky Day!

Since Soccer is so easy you should have no problem signing a Multi-million dollar contract with one of the teams in the English premier league.

Here are some of the salaries of the premier league players. Lucky for you the owners of these teams are not as smart as you, and have not figured out that Soccer is so easy!

These are yearly numbers BTW:

Rank Name Team Pay
1. David Beckham Real Madrid $37.4 million
2. Ronaldo Real Madrid $25.3
3. Zinedine Zidane Real Madrid 16.8
4. Christian Vieiri Inter Milan $15.5
5. Alessandro Del Piero Juventus $12.3
6. Frank Lampard Chelsea $12.1
7. Raul Gonzalez Real Madrid $12
8. Thierry Henry Arsenal $11.9
9. John Terry Chelsea $11.1
10. Luis Figo Real Madrid $11.0
11. Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United $10.9
12. Ronaldinho Barcelona $10.6
13. Oliver Kahn Bayern Munich $10.4
14. Roy Keane Manchester United $10.2
15. Patrick Vieira Arsenal $10.1
16. Michael Owen Real Madrid $9.7
17. Francesco Totti AS Roma $9.6
18. Sol Campbell Arsenal $9.4
19. Michael Ballack Bayern Munich $8.8
20. Rio Ferdinand Manchester United $8.3

I highly recommend that you play a couple of years in the premier league and make 3 to 5 million pounds a year ($6-$10 million per year) not including endorsements, it is a really smart thing to do, and it doesn't require any special skills:

Back to reality.............

I can hit a baseball even if it is only 3 inches wide, you can kick a soccer ball as well but neither of us can compete against the skilled athletes in their sport.

kicking a soccer ball from a standstill is easy, but try to kick a ball that is crossed to you at up to 60 mph while you are running at a full sprint, and being shoved by an equally fast defender, and then remember you have to place your shot to beat the goalie, you cant just hit it anywhere- - good luck with that!

irishjayhawk
10-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Here's the issue:

I think most Americans see soccer as MLS. Eurosoccer is a different beast altogether as I learned during the 06 World Cup in Italy - yes they year they won. It's just totally different.

Beforehand, I hated - no, loathed - soccer. Couldn't understand why you'd want to watch or play such a "sport". Not so anymore.

I'm with Zach. And, yes, for those wondering, a big reason soccer isn't big over here is because of the attention span of Americans. Sorry, but true.

Wa-Z
10-29-2009, 12:54 AM
It would be incredible if the US was a soccer nation...so many cities to have teams and a lot of diversity amongst people. It's great over in Europe..the system is so well interwoven, kids begin playing for their hometown clubs against neighboring towns and villages since they are all so close together. Netherlands, which is a tenth the size of California, pumps out tenfolds more world class talented players than Russia, twice the size of USA. Now that's a dedicated soccer nation.

Pants
10-29-2009, 01:33 AM
It would be incredible if the US was a soccer nation...so many cities to have teams and a lot of diversity amongst people. It's great over in Europe..the system is so well interwoven, kids begin playing for their hometown clubs against neighboring towns and villages since they are all so close together. Netherlands, which is a tenth the size of California, pumps out tenfolds more world class talented players than Russia, twice the size of USA. Now that's a dedicated soccer nation.

Yeah, the Dutch are definitely my favorite. They always have insane talent to the point of being filthy, but they're the biggest effing chokers in the world and it pisses me off.

And you bring up a very valid point, the U.S. produces the best athletes in the world but it won't reach the skill levels of European/South American teams due to the complete lack of youth academies. By the time some kid is in college, he'd have reached his plateau of skill gaining ability. European clubs, on the other hand, get their hands on promising little kids pretty much as soon at they learn how to run, lol.

Ari Chi3fs
10-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Soccer is AWESOME... because of soccer moms. I think Guru might be gay.

carlos3652
10-29-2009, 08:01 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UknhtzoX-HY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UknhtzoX-HY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pink Paradise 2010
10-29-2009, 08:37 AM
thats pretty crappy.....

vailpass
10-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Haha, I can probably do some things with a soccer ball you didn't think were possible, but I'm by no means gifted - otherwise I'd be playing pro soccer, wouldn't I?

Oh and why don't you grab a soccer ball and try to do this:

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FXiTdjn5ZVY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

You probably think that's easy to do, don't you? ROFL

LOL at soccer guy who thinks showing video clips helps his case when in fact they further illustrate the point that soccer is lame. Do you really think that silly little trick is impressive in an athletic sense? It looks like part of a half-time show. What's next? Is he going to junp off a mini-tramp for a 720 degree slam dunk?

penguinz
10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Here's the issue:
I learned during the 06 World Cup in Italy - yes they year they won.2006 World Cup was in Germany. Italy did win it though. ;)

irishjayhawk
10-29-2009, 09:18 AM
2006 World Cup was in Germany. Italy did win it though. ;)

Sorry. I meant I was in Italy at the time it was being played. Poorly worded.