PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Deal or no deal: Used car

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Deal or no deal? I need mechanically inclined or car smart minds to counsel me on this.

2006 Mercury Milan Premier V6 loaded with leather seats, moon roof, yada, yada, yada with 13.5k miles for $13800.

WhitiE
10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
dont know how they run or anything but i do like the way those look. sorry im not help....

StcChief
10-27-2009, 07:42 AM
consumer reports? Is this built on Taurus platform? they've had alotta time to get kinks out. I'd buy a Ford product.

Dartgod
10-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Back to the DC Forum!!

http://www.picturesof.net/_images_300/Vampire_Smiley_Cowering_In_Front_Silver_Cross_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_081017-130798-791009.jpg

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 07:47 AM
consumer reports? Is this built on Taurus platform? they've had alotta time to get kinks out. I'd buy a Ford product.

Mazda 6. Consumer reports and most publications rate it reliable and a good bet. Consumer Guide doesn't like it.

King_Chief_Fan
10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Deal or no deal? I need mechanically inclined or car smart minds to counsel me on this.

2006 Mercury Milan Premier V6 loaded with leather seats, moon roof, yada, yada, yada with 13.5k miles for $13800.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/mercury/milan/100640544/options.html?tmvaction=vdpresult

you can add or subtract the features and change the zip code....Edmunds will price the car for you

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I own that exact vehicle. Love it. Paid $16k for it in 07. That would seem just a touch high, but given the recent used car shortage, it could be a deal given the mileage even though the warranty is close to expiration.

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I own that exact vehicle. Love it. Paid $16k for it in 07. That would seem just a touch high, but given the recent used car shortage, it could be a deal given the mileage even though the warranty is close to expiration.

I think it's a tad high because it's only got 13,500 miles on it. Others around cost around the same price or a bit less but have 3-4 times the miles. It was a lease turn in. It's in mint condition. Edmunds puts it at $15,300, KBB at $16,660.

I've just not bought a used car out of warranty before. VERY scary proposition. This still has the 5 year/50k power train but nothing else. We've had good luck with Fords (my dad, Mr. Chevy, is LOL) and so I trust the brand. I just wonder if I'm overdue for a lemon...:eek:

Glad to hear that you have had good luck with the car. So far I've read mostly positive things about it.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I think it's a tad high because it's only got 13,500 miles on it. Others around cost around the same price or a bit less but have 3-4 times the miles. It was a lease turn in. It's in mint condition. Edmunds puts it at $15,300, KBB at $16,660.

I've just not bought a used car out of warranty before. VERY scary proposition. This still has the 5 year/50k power train but nothing else. We've had good luck with Fords (my dad, Mr. Chevy, is LOL) and so I trust the brand. I just wonder if I'm overdue for a lemon...:eek:

Glad to hear that you have had good luck with the car. So far I've read mostly positive things about it.

We did have 2 minor things break just out of warranty, but they were pretty small.

The chrome trim ring around the shifter know broke and a piece wedged in there and I couldn't get the car out of park. This problem was apparent after googling, so it may be a common issue.

Also, just last week the power mirrors quit adjusting up and the the right, so i think the switch is bad.

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
We did have 2 minor things break just out of warranty, but they were pretty small.

The chrome trim ring around the shifter know broke and a piece wedged in there and I couldn't get the car out of park. This problem was apparent after googling, so it may be a common issue.

Also, just last week the power mirrors quit adjusting up and the the right, so i think the switch is bad.

How many miles until those things happened?

Also, how many miles were on your car when you bought it. Sounds like you got a steal.

We stumbled on the Milan after finding a 2007 Accord SE V6 with 10k miles but the dealer would not take much off the asking price of $18999 due to the low miles. That is a bit out of our price range with a kid heading off to college.

Easy 6
10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
They're quite a bit below Kelly & Edmunds, definitely get a Carfax...if it checks out, it sounds like you're getting a good price.

Lumpy
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
They're quite a bit below Kelly & Edmunds, definitely get a Carfax...if it checks out, it sounds like you're getting a good price.

I was going to suggest this. We just bought an SUV and got one from the dealer before we made an offer on the vehicle. Legit dealerships should give u one at no charge. They usually show maintenance records too, so that should give u an idea of what has happened w/ the vehicle in the past.

El Jefe
10-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Tell me about it, I bought an 05 Buick lacrosse with very low mileage towards the end of its warranty. It took a couple grand dump on me after the warranty expired. It was also a lease car, but had like 28k miles. I definitely would like the fact your's has only 13k. We dont see many for transmission problems at all.

Baconeater
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I was going to suggest this. We just bought an SUV and got one from the dealer before we made an offer on the vehicle. Legit dealerships should give u one at no charge. They usually show maintenance records too, so that should give u an idea of what has happened w/ the vehicle in the past.
Don't take it as gospel though, a couple weeks after we bought our Camry I noticed both of the driver's side doors and the rear quarter had all been repainted, it didn't say a damn thing about any accidents or bodywork on the Carfax.

El Jefe
10-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Don't take it as gospel though, a couple weeks after we bought our Camry I noticed both of the driver's side doors and the rear quarter had all been repainted, it didn't say a damn thing about any accidents or bodywork on the Carfax.

Coming from a shop manager, we have customers who specifically wont go to a shop who reports things to CarFax.

Easy 6
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Yep, any dealership worth a damn should provide you one for free. While they're not totally foolproof, its still a good way to be reasonably sure.

Easy 6
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Coming from a shop manager, we have customers who specifically wont go to a shop who reports things to CarFax.

Yeah, theres a bit of 'honor system' to it.

Its not perfect.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
How many miles until those things happened?

Also, how many miles were on your car when you bought it. Sounds like you got a steal.

We stumbled on the Milan after finding a 2007 Accord SE V6 with 10k miles but the dealer would not take much off the asking price of $18999 due to the low miles. That is a bit out of our price range with a kid heading off to college.

We have about 45k on it now. Shifter issue was probably 4k ago. Bought it at 26k.

Dave Lane
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM

How about a 2009 Jeep Patriot with 8 miles and loaded for $11,200?

I like my deal :)

Lumpy
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM

That is a great deal, better than what I got... $12,000 for an '04 Jeep Liberty Renegade w/ 53K miles. :( But then again, it came fully loaded.

booger
10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
friends don't let friends drive dodge/chrysler

MahiMike
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM

$1380 maybe...

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Sounds like a sweet deal but I could never drive a car named Patriot for a multitude of reasons... :p

And I don't want to license or insure an 09. Not with a teenaged boy driver on our accounts.

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
friends don't let friends drive dodge/chrysler

In an effort to overcome his Chevy fix, my Dad started buying C/D/P. :spock: Anything to avoid a Ford. LOL. I had four of them and never a problem other than the usual.

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Carfax looks clean. Sounds like no reason not too partake except that we haven't closed on our refi yet so I'm very nervous about taking out a loan in the middle of closing another.

Lzen
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Offer them 12k. If they don't accept it, walk out.

memyselfI
10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Offer them 12k. If they don't accept it, walk out.

They won't go for it. They had dropped the price 1k from last weekend. They have other people who are waiting for our deal to fall through. I know it because they were there when we got back from driving it.

ChiefButthurt
10-27-2009, 05:58 PM
They won't go for it. They had dropped the price 1k from last weekend. They have other people who are waiting for our deal to fall through. I know it because they were there when we got back from driving it.

That's a set up...don't fall for it. Did you give them a deposit?? If so, maybe they do want to buy it. If not, it's bullshit and the car would sold out from under you. IF it's true, there are more cars out there and it's not meant for you to have the thing.