PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Eric Berry looks kinda lazy to me

Mr. Laz
10-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I watched Alabama/Tennessee last night and focused on 2 players.

Eric Berry and Terrance cody

Cody looks great but i don't know that we can afford to spend a top 5 pick on a 2 down player. Although in a 3-4 defense maybe Cody wouldn't be a 2 down player.

Can a guy that fat play that many snaps in the NFL?

He also took off his helmet and looked like he was about to cry after the game. Maturity issue?

Terrance Cody = Gilbert Brown??

Marcell Dareus looks better

------------------------------------------

I saw Berry use lazy tackling technique ... no wrapping, just try and shoulder the guy down.

He whiffed bad at the LOS in a key possible when Alabama was snapping the ball on their own goal line.

Berry also spent alot of time "standing around the pile" so to speak instead really sticking his nose in there and making a hit.

made me think of Dale Carter for some reason.

-----------------------------

now before every freaks out ... this is the first game i specifically targeted those 2 players so this is just an initial evaluation but it leaves me with doubts about both players.

Reaper16
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Have you evaluated Taylor Meeys yet?

EDIT: this post no longer makes sense now that Laz has corrected his misspelling "Eric Beery" that he uses multiple times.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Listen, just because I'm cakn patna doesn't mean I'm not totally on the Taylor Mays bandwagon.

CoMoChief
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Well, Im glad we traded out of the 1st rd only for the Steelers to take Polamalu.

ChiefGator
10-27-2009, 10:42 AM
He also took off his helmet and looked like he was about to cry after the game. Maturity issue?

I read that as intensity. He was very much into the game, and putting his all to help will Bama over the Vols. I got no problem with the emotions he showed there.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, Im glad we traded out of the 1st rd only for the Steelers to take Polamalu.
what does that have to do with anything?

if you want to start discussing are past draft failures then it's going to be a long,long list.

Kyle DeLexus
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM
From the games I've seen Berry is all over the field. He's aggressive on his hits thats for sure and will have to learn when to go for the kill and when to just be sure he brings the guy down. I'm still very impressed with him and it speaks volumes to me that a guy like Monte Kiffin would come in and say he would take Berry with the #1 overall pick if he had the opportunity and was still in the league. That could have been coach talk, but from what I've heard he's def. not lazy. Just my take as always. (the disclaimer that we should all put.....cross thread humor that no one will get)

Demonpenz
10-27-2009, 10:54 AM

No shit that worked well. Along with the Jared allen trade, letting gannon get away, starting elvis gerbac, Kicker that shall not be unnamed, drafting justin metlock, signing Shawn Barber, Signing Kendrell bell, Lettting Donnie edwards go, signing donny edwards when he was at the end of the career.Letting John Tait go to the bears. Saluamua to the seahwks. Joe Horn go to the Saints, signing glen Cadreez, drafting trezzell jenkins, Drafting Ryan Simms, drafting bernard Pollard, Resigning Wesley and woods.
Signing Carney lansford, Storm davis at the end of the career, signing Mark davis after winning a weak cy young, letting paul byrd get away, Ibanez leave, trading beltran, siging Mike Sweeney.Letting Dye get traded for Neffi perez, Trading johnny Damon, Having the hells angels do security for a overpopulated concert, Storming te waco compound, having a limo convertible for a presidental parade, thinking going to see a play at fords theatre was a good idea, Trying to please Jody Foster, Letting shakespear in love win best picture. Having Dan and Dan be spokesmen for olympic shoes, buying a Atari jaguar, and playing a prevent defense.

El Jefe
10-27-2009, 10:54 AM
From the games I've seen Berry is all over the field. He's aggressive on his hits thats for sure and will have to learn when to go for the kill and when to just be sure he brings the guy down. I'm still very impressed with him and it speaks volumes to me that a guy like Monte Kiffin would come in and say he would take Berry with the #1 overall pick if he had the opportunity and was still in the league. That could have been coach talk, but from what I've heard he's def. not lazy. Just my take as always. (the disclaimer that we should all put.....cross thread humor that no one will get)

Im with you, and not just because of your avatar. Berry is a ball hawk, a true play maker, he's a beast.

shitgoose
10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
No shit that worked well. Along with the Jared allen trade, letting gannon get away, starting elvis gerbac, Kicker that shall not be unnamed, drafting justin metlock, signing Shawn Barber, Signing Kendrell bell, Lettting Donnie edwards go, signing donny edwards when he was at the end of the career.Letting John Tait go to the bears. Saluamua to the seahwks. Joe Horn go to the Saints, signing glen Cadreez, drafting trezzell jenkins, Drafting Ryan Simms, drafting bernard Pollard, Resigning Wesley and woods.
Signing Carney lansford, Storm davis at the end of the career, signing Mark davis after winning a weak cy young, letting paul byrd get away, Ibanez leave, trading beltran, siging Mike Sweeney.Letting Dye get traded for Neffi perez, Trading johnny Damon, Having the hells angels do security for a overpopulated concert, Storming te waco compound, having a limo convertible for a presidental parade, thinking going to see a play at fords theatre was a good idea, Trying to please Jody Foster, Letting shakespear in love win best picture. Having Dan and Dan be spokesmen for olympic shoes, buying a Atari jaguar, and playing a prevent defense.

This pretty much sums it up

Mr. Flopnuts
10-27-2009, 11:07 AM

The world would be lost if not for a good DP session every once in a while.

bowener
10-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Just think, right now we could be discussing the possibility of having Polamalu and Taylor Mays as our 2 safeties... think on that for a bit... then think about how we could be making fun of a team for having malcontent LJ on their team.... now vomit from disgust for Carl.

Pestilence
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
<-----------------------------

Pestilence
10-27-2009, 11:43 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E-PG04d4-sI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E-PG04d4-sI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kyle DeLexus
10-27-2009, 12:01 PM
The kid has the goods for sure. He's got talent, instincts, hits hard, and probably my favorite aspect he knows what to do with the ball when he gets his hands on it. It's that playmaking ability that we need. Someone that can change the course of the game and give you the momentum in one play, but will also be a consistent presence the entire game.

Ari Chi3fs
10-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Im gonna drink a Beery after 5 oclock... may drink 2 beeries.

Saccopoo
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Just think, right now we could be discussing the possibility of having Polamalu and Taylor Mays as our 2 safeties... think on that for a bit... then think about how we could be making fun of a team for having malcontent LJ on their team.... now vomit from disgust for Carl.

I can go one better.

Not only did they trade out of the Troy Polamalu spot to take Larry lower in the round (and Carl was absolutely enamored with Larry apparently), but the next year, they had the opportunity to select Bob Sanders or Julius Jones. However, Carl thought that Junior Siavii would be a better option.

So, the Chiefs could have had either Troy Polamalu and Julius Jones/Bob Sanders, but ended up with Larry Johnson and Junior Siavii.

Big hugs for Carl!

Saccopoo
10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
The kid has the goods for sure. He's got talent, instincts, hits hard, and probably my favorite aspect he knows what to do with the ball when he gets his hands on it. It's that playmaking ability that we need. Someone that can change the course of the game and give you the momentum in one play, but will also be a consistent presence the entire game.

He's an excellent player. So is Mays. I just don't know how much better they are in terms of what they do than someone like Stuckey, Myron Rolle, Robert Johnson (who is having a monster year), who have shown better fundamentals than either. I think that both Berry and Mays have gotten by so much on their athleticism alone that they haven't really been required or needed to exercise solid fundamentals during games. And that worries me a bit that it will cover over to the next level and will require a certain period of re-education - something that the Chiefs don't have the luxury of in that they need solid football players on the field sooner rather than later.

Is Mays better than Polamalu at the same stage of their football careers? Not to me. I don't think he's as good as LaRon Landry or Sean Taylor at the same stage. Yes, I know that he's been the FS versus the SS, and that his athleticism and speed have allowed him to play roamer, but he's been slow to react on the play/ball from the games I've seen. Once he finds it, he gets there in a hurry and can finish guys off, but his poor techniques cost them two touchdowns in the Notre Dame game alone. He reminds me of Urlacher during his New Mexico years in terms of size and athleticism, but Urlacher would absolutely cover a guy when he got there. He'd knock the piss out of them, but he'd also wrap them up like a blanket. Mays doesn't do that. At least not consistently.

Berry has been nothing if opportunistic, but he's shown sub-standard technique in the two Tennessee games I've seen this year. I just don't know how much better he is than Stuckey or Rolle versus the Chiefs need at LT. Okung allows Albert to slide back into his college LG position - a position that he could put back on his weight and absolutely dominate. I think that Albert has the chance to be an All-Pro LG for a decade. I don't think that he'll ever be a Pro Bowl LT. And, at least to me, Okung and Albert sound like a much better left side of the offensive line than Albert and whoever the Chiefs might throw in at LG next season.

If you are talking about non-glamour positions (QB, OT, rush end) being viable as top ten picks, like is being bandied about for Berry and Mays at either safety position, I think that Jermaine Gresham at TE is as good with as much potential/ceiling at his position as Berry and Mays are at theirs. One could even make a case for Spikes and McClain at the ILB spot as well. Suh and McCoy at DT.

But I think the point is moot. I put up a mock in the Draft Planet and have the Chiefs taking a CB.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
will also be a consistent presence the entire game.maybe .. but he wasn't a consistent presence in the 'bama game.

Chiefnj2
10-27-2009, 01:09 PM
maybe .. but he wasn't a consistent presence in the 'bama game.

He had a FF, qb hurry and 2 passes defensed. He wasn't completely invisible, although he did whiff on a tackle when they had Bama pinned.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2009, 01:37 PM
He had a FF, qb hurry and 2 passes defensed. He wasn't completely invisible, although he did whiff on a tackle when they had Bama pinned.
i don't think he caused that FF, he was there but it looked like to me the other tackler in front knocked it out.

salame
10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
http://alexandheather.net/images/tc-juggernaut.jpg

Mecca
10-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Myron Rolle isn't that good of a prospect, his name carries more weight than his actual talent.

Anyong Bluth
10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Admittedly, I've seen much less than some around here have between Berry & Mays, but I'm sort of leaning toward Berry. Though, I do realize that they've been asked to do different things, so it might skew my opinion. For some reason, I have this feeling that given Mays size, his speed may diminish faster, but I think I'm on board at this point in my hopes that the Chiefs take 1 of these 2 come April.

That said, I'll just assume that whichever one we don't pick if we do take one of the 2 S's that the other one will be a rockstar and end up being way better...

Silock
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd take either of them.

Tribal Warfare
10-27-2009, 09:14 PM
http://alexandheather.net/images/tc-juggernaut.jpg

Alias Cain Marco

KcFanInGA
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM

Oh no. You had an Atari Jaguar too? How much did those blow? I loved the telephone..I mean controllers. And what was that fighting game? Kasumi Ninja...supposedly those had fatalities but they were nowhere to be found in cheat magazines...and this internet thing hadn't blow up yet so no gamefaqs.com.

milkman
10-28-2009, 07:34 AM
He's an excellent player. So is Mays. I just don't know how much better they are in terms of what they do than someone like Stuckey, Myron Rolle, Robert Johnson (who is having a monster year), who have shown better fundamentals than either. I think that both Berry and Mays have gotten by so much on their athleticism alone that they haven't really been required or needed to exercise solid fundamentals during games. And that worries me a bit that it will cover over to the next level and will require a certain period of re-education - something that the Chiefs don't have the luxury of in that they need solid football players on the field sooner rather than later.

Is Mays better than Polamalu at the same stage of their football careers? Not to me. I don't think he's as good as LaRon Landry or Sean Taylor at the same stage. Yes, I know that he's been the FS versus the SS, and that his athleticism and speed have allowed him to play roamer, but he's been slow to react on the play/ball from the games I've seen. Once he finds it, he gets there in a hurry and can finish guys off, but his poor techniques cost them two touchdowns in the Notre Dame game alone. He reminds me of Urlacher during his New Mexico years in terms of size and athleticism, but Urlacher would absolutely cover a guy when he got there. He'd knock the piss out of them, but he'd also wrap them up like a blanket. Mays doesn't do that. At least not consistently.

Berry has been nothing if opportunistic, but he's shown sub-standard technique in the two Tennessee games I've seen this year. I just don't know how much better he is than Stuckey or Rolle versus the Chiefs need at LT. Okung allows Albert to slide back into his college LG position - a position that he could put back on his weight and absolutely dominate. I think that Albert has the chance to be an All-Pro LG for a decade. I don't think that he'll ever be a Pro Bowl LT. And, at least to me, Okung and Albert sound like a much better left side of the offensive line than Albert and whoever the Chiefs might throw in at LG next season.

If you are talking about non-glamour positions (QB, OT, rush end) being viable as top ten picks, like is being bandied about for Berry and Mays at either safety position, I think that Jermaine Gresham at TE is as good with as much potential/ceiling at his position as Berry and Mays are at theirs. One could even make a case for Spikes and McClain at the ILB spot as well. Suh and McCoy at DT.

But I think the point is moot. I put up a mock in the Draft Planet and have the Chiefs taking a CB.

I'm reminded of findthedr and his Jake Long obsession every time I see you pimping Okung.

Myron Rolle is your Trevor Laws.

Chiefnj2
10-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Berry is a much better football player. Mays is the better athlete. I'll take the football player over the athlete any day of the week.

IMO, Suh and Berry are the only two prospects worth a top 5 pick (at the moment). Maybe Dunlap comes close.

soundmind
10-28-2009, 08:26 AM
KONG!!!

:evil:

El Jefe
10-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm reminded of findthedr and his Jake Long obsession every time I see you pimping Okung.

Boy findthedr was awful annoying with that Long propaganda.

Berry is a much better football player. Mays is the better athlete. I'll take the football player over the athlete any day of the week.
IMO, Suh and Berry are the only two prospects worth a top 5 pick (at the moment). Maybe Dunlap comes close.

I agree.

Buehler445
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM

I'm not. This guy doesn't go nuts finding every stat, article, or any sort of tangible evidence for Okung. Add in the fact that he doesn't post using 900 different format types.

While I disagree that LT is as much of a need as he does, he at least watches games and brings a thought out approach to the board, which I can appreciate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
10-28-2009, 10:50 AM

This is a pretty good thought process.

I think at this point, with the Chiefs, you take Berry. Mays would be a good pick for a little better team. Not that anyone can "afford" to blow a first round pick,but better teams that have some pieces in place would be better suited to try and develop Mays into the BAMF he has potential to be. The Chiefs need an immediate contributor.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm not. This guy doesn't go nuts finding every stat, article, or any sort of tangible evidence for Okung. Add in the fact that he doesn't post using 900 different format types.

While I disagree that LT is as much of a need as he does, he at least watches games and brings a thought out approach to the board, which I can appreciate.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm referencing the manner in which findthedr always suggested that Trevor Laws was a suitable substitute to Dorsey or Sederick Ellis.

Saccopoo
10-28-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm glad we're running a 3-4 so we don't have to consider Dunlap. Total physical freak, but he's more often than not lost on that defense. Not impressed at all. I'd take Cody over Dunlap in a heartbeat, and I'm not a Cody fan.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Trever Lowlz

Saccopoo
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't call Okung an obsession. I think it's being pragmatic, objective and rational regarding the state of the Chiefs franchise from a player personnel standpoint.

I know that there are some people on here that think that Albert is going to be just fine at LT. I used to be in that camp as well. Right now, I'm not. I think that he showed potential, but I don't know if that he has the ability to play it effectively at a high enough level.

There's always the statement that gets bandied about around here "You don't take a right tackle with a top ten pick!", but in actuality, we took a guard with a top 15. Some people thought that his skills would allow him to be an effective left tackle, but let's face it - Carl/Herm took a guard with a top 15 pick. And for some reason, people are okay with that, but are completely freaking out that someone would suggest taking the top rated LT prospect in the upcoming draft.

I think if you let Albert put his weight back on him, play around 330, that he would be a Pro Bowl level guard for the next decade. And I'd love to get that kind of production from a guy versus seeing him struggle and adjust with his weight/system/technique/whathaveyou at the left tackle spot.

And I'm not that big on Myron Rolle. He'd have been out of football for a year plus by the time the draft rolls around. He is a guy that would have a very high ceiling/boom-bust though. He's a big guy with amazing athletic ability. He's also exceptionally smart. (And if you have the opportunity to take a guy with a lot of potential and athletic ability, I'll take the really smart one versus a guy that's as dumb as a bag of hammers every single time.) I do think Berry is the second best player in this draft. (Suh has just been absolutely dominant again this year after destroying people last year and is the guy this season.) I just think that shoring up the offensive line is substantially more important than getting a really good safety. Safety is a luxury pick that a good team can make when they've filled the trenches with effective, good players. Those players don't have to be first rounders, but I don't think that the Chiefs have the luxury of hoping that a guy in the foourth round and beyond has some intangibles that elevates him to "starter" in that specific system. And I wouldn't say that Mays is more athletic than Berry. Berry is one of the fastest players in college and he's been able to get by on that athleticism. A guy like Stuckey has shown better technique and instinct than Berry or Mays has this season - at least from the couple of games I've seen from Berry and Mays. He's not as fast (I don't think anyone is as fast as those two at the safety position), but he's shown sideline to sideline pursuit ability and has chased down a number of receivers in stride. He takes good angles and hits hard AND wraps guys up when he gets there. I think we all love the potential of Mays or Berry. I just don't think that the Chiefs have the luxury of embracing that potential.

At least to me, Okung is the premier left tackle in this draft. He has all the tools one could want to develop into an effective LT at the next level. And right now, having an even effective LT versus a Pro Bowl potential safety on this specific Chiefs team is a better, more reasonable choice, at least to me.

milkman
10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
At least to me, Okung is the premier left tackle in this draft. He has all the tools one could want to develop into an effective LT at the next level. And right now, having an even effective LT versus a Pro Bowl potential safety on this specific Chiefs team is a better, more reasonable choice, at least to me.

As I've said, I don't see a premier LT in Okung.

I see a big lumbering mass with slow feet who doesn't have to hold blocks.

Albert, IMO, has far more potential to be a dominating LT than Okung.

Frankly, I like Jason Fox much better, because he has the potential to play either RT, or LT should Albert continue to struggle into next season.

He's a far better value, and more athletic than Okung.
Okung looks like a RT to me, at best.

Saccopoo
10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Frankly, I like Jason Fox much better, because he has the potential to play either RT, or LT should Albert continue to struggle into next season.

He's a far better value, and more athletic than Okung.
Okung looks like a RT to me, at best.

I like Beadles over Fox. Beadles foot work is downright amazing and he has no problem getting out and downfield to the second and third levels in a hurry. Both are about the same level of player, but I think Beadles is showing more athleticism at this point. Both are pretty nasty too. Burying guys.

But I do think that Okung is a legit LT. He let Von Miller get by him a couple of times, but Miller is apparently doing that to everyone this season.

milkman
10-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I like Beadles over Fox. Beadles foot work is downright amazing and he has no problem getting out and downfield to the second and third levels in a hurry. Both are about the same level of player, but I think Beadles is showing more athleticism at this point. Both are pretty nasty too. Burying guys.

But I do think that Okung is a legit LT. He let Von Miller get by him a couple of times, but Miller is apparently doing that to everyone this season.

I haven't seen enough of Beadles to comment n him.

But, as I said, I disagree on Okung.

I just don't see a legitimate LT.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2009, 12:40 PM
*applauding the fact that this thread didn't turn into a cussfest*

:clap:

Saccopoo
10-28-2009, 12:41 PM
*applauding the fact that this thread didn't turn into a cussfest*

:clap:

Fuck you Laz.

Mr. Laz
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
**** you Laz.
shoulda seen that coming ROFL

Saccopoo
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I haven't seen enough of Beadles to comment n him.

But, as I said, I disagree on Okung.

I just don't see a legitimate LT.

I recently saw some dude on some site has Beadles listed as his #1 guard prospect, but I think that he's completely capable of playing either tackle spot at the next level. He's not long and lanky like most typical left tackles (he literally looks like a guard, which might be the main reason why people aren't putting him higher as a potential LT), but his footwork is as good as you'll see and he's brutal in both pass and run. Literally locks onto a guy and drives them into the ground. Will also get out into the second level and look to plow the road. Has the strength/power to lock out DE/DTs, but also the agility to work rush ends up, out and around. I think he's as good as former Ute Jordan Gross, and in some ways, even better.

Here's the link to that report/draftnik thing I found:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/271964-nfl-draft-2010-senior-position-rankings

Mecca
10-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Beadles is listed as a guard on basically every draft site.

And in the ask Scott portion of NFLDC he straight tells one guy who asks an OT question that none of them are elite prospects.

Saccopoo
10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Beadles is listed as a guard on basically every draft site.

Which is odd as he's been the starting left tackle for the past three seasons. I think it devalues his overall ability and his excellent footwork to be thought of as a guard versus a tackle. However, I do think he's a guy that would be able to play every line position very effectively.

And in the ask Scott portion of NFLDC he straight tells one guy who asks an OT question that none of them are elite prospects.

I agree to an extent. I think that Okung is as good as any left tackle in last years draft other than Oher. I think that Campbell and Fox have the potential to eventually be. I also think that guys like Ciron Black, Trent Williams, Anthony Davis are substantially better RT prospects than anybody in last years draft, and there are a handful of very good center prospects.

I think that the upcoming draft is as good, if not better, for offensive linemen as last years draft was.

The rush end spot is loaded, as is the DT spot.

It's a hell of a draft. I think that the Chiefs, with two seconds and three fifths, should be able to get a good number of quality players. Although, I'd love to see them try to get one more second, third or fourth.