PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some player reactions to LJ release

BossChief
11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/11/09/the_morning_after__jacksonville/

GLENN DORSEY:

(on if Johnson’s release is a distraction) “No. I don’t really have an opinion about it, just trying to get better.“

(on if it was surprising to him): “Nothing surprises me anymore. I know it’s a business and that they have to do what they have to do upstairs.“

(on if Johnson’s release sends a message to other players): “I think that every player who is released sends a message to the players. It’s a business and you have to take care of your responsibilities. I don’t really have an opinion about it, I just keep on going.“

(on the online petition orchestrated by Chiefs fans playing a role): “I don’t know. I don’t anything about a petition. I try to mind my own business and get better myself.“

KOLBY SMITH: (on Johnson’s reaction to the news): “I haven’t talked to him.“

(on if he had spoken with Johnson since the suspension): “Yeah, just small talk here and there. We didn’t really discuss football. Just ‘how you doing, what’s up,’ and stuff like that.“

(on if the players expected Johnson to re-join the team after the suspension): “We didn’t know. We didn’t speculation on it. It was up to the organization on how they were going to handle it.“

(on Johnson’s feeling about breaking the rushing record): “I didn’t talk to him about that. When things are going on like that, I stay away from football. He knew it was out there. He wanted to get the record. I know that the chance to break the record meant a lot to him.“

(on if there is a lesson to be learned): “Yes, there is a lesson. Whenever you see something that’s off-the-field issues, there is a lesson for everybody to learn from.“

MIKE VRABEL: (on Johnson’s release): “He wasn’t in the plans of the Kansas City Chiefs, so that’s where it is. That’s the beginning of Scott (Pioli) and Todd (Haley’s) time here. They want guys who are going to fit in to what they want in their plans, and try to develop and build a team.“

(on if there is a lesson to be learned): “I think if guys want to take it and use any situation, whether it be production on the field, your actions off the field, there are a lot of different things that young guys can learn from in a lot of different situations.“

(on if he was surprised about Johnson’s release): “Not a whole lot surprises me anymore, really.”

KOLBY SMITH TALKS ABOUT LJ
November 9th – 12:59 PM

RB Kolby Smith will receive direct benefit from the Chiefs decision to release RB Larry Johnson this morning. Smith, activated on Saturday from the PUP list, immediately becomes one of the Chiefs primary weapons out of the backfield. He’s also the only player on the Chiefs roster with experience being an “every-down NFL back.“

Johnson’s departure certainly opens doors for the third-year running back, but that didn’t keep today’s news from being bittersweet for Smith.

“He will be missed,” Smith said. “He was more than just a teammate. He was a friend as well. It was unfortunate what took place, but now we just have to move on. Jamaal (Charles), Dantrell (Savage) and I must move forward and continue to help this team try and win a game.

“He looked after me and made sure I was good on every level,” Smith continued. “He had been a true friend.“

Although Johnson will no longer be a teammate of Smith’s in Kansas City, Smith fully believes that Johnson’s days as an NFL running back are not over.

“Yes, he’s a very good back,” Smith said. “He’s a two-time pro bowler and he was only 74 yards away from holding our all-time record here. I know that other teams are looking at that and have seen what he’s done in the past. I think that someone will pick him up.“

Smith also expects many runners to fill the role primary running back role that Johnson once served going forward.

“Going forward, it will probably be more of a running back by committee,” Smith said. “It won’t just be totally on one running back’s shoulders.“

In Johnson’s absence, Smith combined with Jamaal Charles to average 5.3 yards per carry on Sunday. No official announcement was given to players. Smith and others said that the word had spread around the locker room of Johnson’s release by text message, Twitter and phone calls.

CHIEFS BREAK WITH LJ A CLEAN ONE
November 9th – 9:55 AM

There are a number of routes that the Chiefs could have taken today involving embattled RB Larry Johnson today. A few of these decisions could have drawn on for weeks. Instead, the Chiefs decided to make a clean cut with Johnson. Johnson will now go to the waiver wire where any team can claim him and assume his current contract. If he clears waivers, Johnson will become a free agent.

Reinstatement and de-activation were other potential options that the club could have taken with Johnson. The team could have even potentially delayed the process in the short-term by filing for a roster exemption with a player coming off suspension. The exemption path has been taken by a number of NFL teams looking for an extension of time before making necessary roster moves. That route could have pushed the speculation circulating the Chiefs/Johnson the back another 48 hours. More grievance filings, lawyers and a number of ensuing, complicated conversations between the team, the player, the league and the player’s union were avoided when the Chiefs decided to simply release Johnson this morning.

The team took their time, did their due diligence on the matter and didn’t make any emotional, rash decisions that cast doubt on judgment. Really, the Chiefs couldn’t have handled the Johnson situation any more efficiently.

GloryDayz
11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Twitter.. Nice!

LaChapelle
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
The o-line: Our asses aren't bruised this monday morning

GloryDayz
11-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Todd says: What are those tall yellow thingies in the end greens used for?

journeyscarab
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
cakn patna

Fish
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
"The process"

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Not a whole lot surprises me anymore, really.
Does it surprise anybody that quite a few key players on this team don't know what "The process" even entails?

What's that say about team direction?

DMAC
11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
They should put our reactions on the kcstar

kaplin42
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
"The process"

Does it surprise anybody that quite a few key players on this team don't know what "The process" even entails?

Nothing, as this is all canned responces of people not trying to put their foot in their mouths.

None of these statements mean a damn thing.

GloryDayz
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
"The process"

The "process" is whatever they want it to be at the moment. It could be ordering a pizza, it could be stacking cleats, it could be firing another person doing more for the team than Todd (the 53 players who suit-up). But don't ask for the process to be explained. They think it helps to keep them in the running for the "Most Interesting Man in the World" award...

InChiefsHell
11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
“No. I don’t really have an opinion about it, just trying to get better.“

I love the standard pat answer.

Buzzsaw
11-09-2009, 03:52 PM
(on Johnson’s feeling about breaking the rushing record): “I didn’t talk to him about that. When things are going on like that, I stay away from football. He knew it was out there. He wanted to get the record. I know that the chance to break the record meant a lot to him.“

That's got to make Chiefs fans feel good

KCrockaholic
11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Twitter is good for something! We would still have LJ if not for twitter.

KCChiefsMan
11-09-2009, 04:18 PM
cakn patna

okay, fill me in. What is this all about?

LaChapelle
11-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Who dat in your avy

Phobia
11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure he hits the wire. I thought vested veterans bypassed the wire and are available for immediate signing. Besides, who is going to pick him up at his current salary?

88TG88
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical pc responses

OnTheWarpath15
11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure he hits the wire. I thought vested veterans bypassed the wire and are available for immediate signing. Besides, who is going to pick him up at his current salary?

After the trade deadline, everyone hits the wire, IIRC.

RippedmyFlesh
11-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I would say washington.
Portis got hurt.
Team with a need and pees away money. Good fit.

Bill Lundberg
11-09-2009, 05:05 PM

After the trade deadline everyone hits the wire.

Halfcan
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
crazy how much money L J flushed down the toilet

teedubya
11-09-2009, 05:41 PM
okay, fill me in. What is this all about?

Are you serious? You don't know what Cakn, Patna is?

LaChapelle
11-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I hope to share the NFL Network Pre-game show with him/Trent Green
I hope to share the ESPN Pre-game show with him/Herm Edwards

InChiefsHell
11-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Last night before MNF they threw out the idea that he would go to Pittsburgh...since it was the team he wanted to be drafted by and they could use another big back blah blah...