PDA

View Full Version : KU KU Basketball: Woolridge signs

Mr. Laz
11-12-2009, 02:01 PM
November 11, 2009
http://kansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1014653

KU inks Royce Woolridge to NLOI
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" id="rvflash" height="60" width="620"></object>Slant Staff

A shooting guard from Sunnyslope High School in Phoenix, Ariz., Royce Woolridge (http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=73867) is 6-3, 175-pounds. As a junior at Sunnyslope, Woolridge averaged 28.5 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. He made 50 percent of his field goals, shot 34 percent from behind the arc and 82 percent from the free-throw line. Additionally, Woolridge averaged 2.5 assists and 2.1 steals for the Vikings in 2008-09.

<!--Start Woolridge, Royce Inside 2 Image--><script language="Javascript">document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/897/791042.jpg', '791042.jpg', 0, 300, 250, 1, 'Woolridge signed with KU on Wednesday', '', 1257979461000, 'Woolridge, Royce Inside 2', 897, 'Align=Left'));</script><table align="Left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="258"><tbody><tr><td width="252">http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/897/791042.jpg</td><td rowspan="3" width="6">http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</td></tr><tr><td height="3">http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</td></tr><tr><td align="center">Woolridge signed with KU on Wednesday</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- End Woolridge, Royce Inside 2 Image-->"We are very happy to add Royce to our basketball program," Self said. "He's a terrific young man, great student and is going to be a heck of a basketball player. Right now he is a combo guard that is really good off the bounce and has become an excellent shooter.

"Royce and his mother, Victoria, have been very loyal to us considering they committed approximately two years ago," Self added.

Sunnyslope went 24-5 and 8-2 in league play last season in winning the state championship. Woolridge, the son of former NBA star Orlando Woolridge, averaged 32 points in the four state tourney games and was tabbed as The Arizona Republic's Big School (Class 4A-5A) Player of the Year following the 2008-09 season.

"Royce has been well drilled by coach Dan Mannix at Sunnyslope High School," Self said. "Last year they surprised everybody as they won state. Royce's preparation to be a college player can be attributed to his high school coach."

Woolridge verbally committed to Kansas in 2008 and went on his official visit to campus at Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 16. He is ranked as the 26th best shooting guard by ESPNU 100 and the No. 94 overall. He is the No. 31 shooting guard and overall No. 117 by Rivals.com.

=========================================================
=========================================================

Woolridge finally signs to play for the Jayhawks

The Kansas City Star

In the euphoria after the Kansas Jayhawks won the 2008 national championship, KU coach Bill Self was suddenly on the phone with a high school sophomore from Phoenix who really wanted to play for Self starting in the fall of 2010.

Self hadn’t seen Royce Woolridge play, but KU assistant Kurtis Townsend had. Townsend liked what he saw in Woolridge, a 6-foot-3 combo guard, and hey, life was good, so why not? Self offered Woolridge a scholarship, Woolridge accepted, and for the last year and a half, neither side has budged on their mutual interest.

On Wednesday, Woolridge finally — and that is no exaggeration — signed a letter of intent to play for Kansas.

“That one was easier than most,” Self said. “He’s been loyal and certainly has done everything we asked him to do from a loyalty standpoint. He was the first one to jump on board, and we have a lot of appreciation for that.”
Woolridge is the earliest commitment of the Self era. To put it in perspective, four current scholarship players on the KU team committed after Woolridge.

“It is a relief that it’s official, finally,” Woolridge said. “It’s a lot better than just a commitment.”

Woolridge, the son of former NBA player Orlando Woolridge, has had plenty of time to think about what he wants to accomplish at KU on and off the court.

“I’m gonna major in business,” Woolridge said. “I want to have my own clothing line. That would be real cool. I want to look toward opening my own shop.”

As a player, Woolridge has great range on his outside shot and is able to create off the dribble. He is rated a three-star recruit and the No. 31 shooting guard in the country and the No. 117 overall player by Rivals.com.

“But you watch,” Self said, “when the rankings come out at the end of the year, he’ll be one of those guys that has a chance to be a top-50 player.”

Self said he hopes to sign two more players in this class.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleges/story/1564462.html

kstater
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Damn, got my hopes up.

Silock
11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Is this gonna affect any other recruits? I mean Woolridge is great but I'm wondering if there were people we were higher on that now won't come due to this.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Is this gonna affect any other recruits? I mean Woolridge is great but I'm wondering if there were people we were higher on that now won't come due to this.

“But you watch,” Self said, “when the rankings come out at the end of the year, he’ll be one of those guys that has a chance to be a top-50 player.”

Self said he hopes to sign two more players in this class."

sedated
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Not likely. The only other guards on KU’s list are top 10 guys. Getting commitments from any of them would push Woolridge down the depth chart.

So how are we looking next year at guard. Collins will graduate. XH is highly likely to leave. Taylor is unknown at this point since his stock was so high after winning gold. CJ Henry might leave along with XH. Who knows what will happen with Little and Releford. The only sure things are E. Johnson, Woolridge, Morningstar, and Reed.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Not likely. The only other guards on KU’s list are top 10 guys. Getting commitments from any of them would push Woolridge down the depth chart.

So how are we looking next year at guard. Collins will graduate. XH is highly likely to leave. Taylor is unknown at this point since his stock was so high after winning gold. CJ Henry might leave along with XH. Who knows what will happen with Little and Releford. The only sure things are E. Johnson, Woolridge, Morningstar, and Reed.

Ah, forgot about the expectations of people leaving early. That makes sense.

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Self said he hopes to sign two more players in this class."

most important part of the whole article.

ESPN has him listed ranked in the 90's IIRC.

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Ah, forgot about the expectations of people leaving early. That makes sense.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Taylor leaving early.

E. Johnson
T. Taylor
H. Barnes <==== I'm dreaming here, but he's probably going to Duke.
T. Robinson
Mc. Morris

That would still be a national title contending lineup. Granted the people around Barnes get better and Barnes actually comes to KU which is highly unlikely from what I've read.

sedated
11-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in Taylor leaving early.

E. Johnson
T. Taylor
H. Barnes <==== I'm dreaming here, but he's probably going to Duke.
T. Robinson
Mc. Morris

I would probably pencil in Withey over Marcus at the 5. But its too early to tell anyway since we haven't even seen him.

And I'm convinced it would be a miracle if HB came to KU. Instead we will have Morningstar, Little, or Releford :(

BWillie
11-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure w/ why the rankings have him so far down to be honest with you. Even being as unbiased as I can. I watch recruiting vids all the time and even went and watched him play against HB at Haskell. He more than held his own. He can pretty much score at will anytime he wants. He has a wicked cross over and can drive w/ both hands. Can catch and shoot. Has a good pull up jumper. His 3 point % in high school was suspect, but to me he seems alot like Keith Langford except a better shooter.

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I would probably pencil in Withey over Marcus at the 5. But its too early to tell anyway since we haven't even seen him.

And I'm convinced it would be a miracle if HB came to KU. Instead we will have Morningstar, Little, or Releford :(

If Little can develope a more consistant jumper, which he could work on if he RS, he would be a force, he can play well off the ball.

schneider221
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzqGqwRSios&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzqGqwRSios&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

schneider221
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDB2GPpN-oE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDB2GPpN-oE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzqGqwRSios&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzqGqwRSios&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guy looks like he can score at will.

Didn't see him playing against any brotha's though......slap a brotha on him and then see what happens.

Ceej
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Watching some of his highlights reminds me a little of Stephan Curry.*

BWillie
11-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Didn't see him playing against any brotha's though......slap a brotha on him and then see what happens.

Harrison Barnes averages 19 PPG in Ames High School in IOWA.
Royce Woolridge drops 29 points a game for Sunnyslope HS in ARIZONA against similar competition.

It's crazy how much AAU ball matters, and w/ that said - he's still tearing it up in AAU. Tyshawn Taylor was a guard coming in who was underrated and was a similar height as Royce. I think the concern about Royce's rating is if he can play point guard. Royce already is a better shooter than Tyshawn and I really don't care if he can be a point guard or not based on the kind of scorer he appears to be.

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Andy Katz just said that Texas is deeper than KU?

I know TX is loaded......but is he insane?

jAZ
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Heh, KU got the 2nd best player in Arizona.

Kudos. ;)

Mr. Laz
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM

well at least now we see why you're so insane about Kaun and Morningstar.

Silock
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Andy Katz just said that Texas is deeper than KU?

I know TX is loaded......but is he insane?

He's just trying to be "cool" and against the grain. There's no way any team is deeper than we are.

BWillie
11-12-2009, 08:21 PM
He's just trying to be "cool" and against the grain. There's no way any team is deeper than we are.

Texas is overrated every year, just like last year. They should be a top ten team, but no way are they #2 or #3. They lost their leading scorer and return only one guy that averages over 10 PPG for god sakes.

Skip Towne
11-12-2009, 08:29 PM
KU is almost too deep. Not enough minutes for them all.

HC_Chief
11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure w/ why the rankings have him so far down to be honest with you. Even being as unbiased as I can. I watch recruiting vids all the time and even went and watched him play against HB at Haskell. He more than held his own. He can pretty much score at will anytime he wants. He has a wicked cross over and can drive w/ both hands. Can catch and shoot. Has a good pull up jumper. His 3 point % in high school was suspect, but to me he seems alot like Keith Langford except a better shooter.

Wow :eek:

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 08:34 PM
well at least now we see why you're so insane about Kaun and Morningstar.

Huh? This has nothing to do with being white if that's what you're referring to. Kaun just sucked.....Morningstar sucked then got better, he's no longer in my doghouse. FWIW, my favorite player all time at KU is Hinrich.

BWillie
11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmYkH6WnkYY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmYkH6WnkYY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is some footage of him going up against some top AAU competition. At least 3-4 clips of him taking Harrison Barnes (#1 player in class 2010) to school.

Chiefless
11-12-2009, 10:23 PM
He looks like a man amongst boys in those clips. In the first few clips it wasn't even fair.

Ari Chi3fs
11-12-2009, 10:23 PM
And the rich get richer...

Tiger's Fan
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Texas is overrated every year, just like last year. They should be a top ten team, but no way are they #2 or #3. They lost their leading scorer and return only one guy that averages over 10 PPG for god sakes.

Avery is gonna be sick.

BWillie
11-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Avery is gonna be sick.

Probably. But the circle jerk around Texas is ridiculous. What was their pre-season ranking last year? Like #5? They lost about 13 freaking games.

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Avery is gonna be sick.

He won't be Durant sick though, and KU took care of Texas when Durant was there.

chiefsfan987
11-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Huh? This has nothing to do with being white if that's what you're referring to. Kaun just sucked.....Morningstar sucked then got better, he's no longer in my doghouse. FWIW, my favorite player all time at KU is Hinrich.

Don't hate on Kaun, without him KU doesn't beat Davidson and go on to become National Champions in 2008. For his work in that game alone I'm happy that he was a Hawk.

Anyong Bluth
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Texas
is never overrated in terms of talent, they just never fully realize their potential given their recruiting classes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
11-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Texas
is never overrated in terms of talent, they just never fully realize their potential given their recruiting classes.
Posted via Mobile Device

We will see for ourselves how good Texas is on Feb. 8 in Austin. I'll take KU.

veist
11-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Probably. But the circle jerk around Texas is ridiculous. What was their pre-season ranking last year? Like #5? They lost about 13 freaking games.

Yeah, preseason #7, lost 12 games. Including a three game skid against KSU, MU and Nebraska.

CoMoChief
11-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Don't hate on Kaun, without him KU doesn't beat Davidson and go on to become National Champions in 2008. For his work in that game alone I'm happy that he was a Hawk.

I agree, That's the only game I give him props on.

Skip Towne
11-13-2009, 12:12 AM

CoMo is an idiot. Kaun's defense led to many KU wins.

veist
11-13-2009, 12:50 AM

Yeah, if he was the scrub that CoMo makes him out to be he wouldn't have gotten paid pretty big money to go play in Europe.

BWillie
11-13-2009, 02:15 AM

This is really going to blow CoMo's mind. At the NBA combine - as far as numbers go. He was the best athlete out of all of KU's big men. Better than Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson - and most other big men in the draft that year.

Braincase
11-13-2009, 05:49 AM

And you're still an idiot.

sedated
11-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Texas
Posted via Mobile Device

Texas also always plays a ridiculous out of conference schedule, contributing to a higher number of losses.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 08:19 AM

From what I've heard, it's because of the bball in AZ. Not going against top notch players and such. Plus, he verballed to KU in 08 which more than likely caused his stock to drop.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Kaun just sucked

This again, huh. Kaun didn't suck. He was very good on defense and average at best on offense. For godsakes, he got drafted in the NBA draft.

sedated
11-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Bill Self's quote about whether or not he is going to watch ESPNU today:

“I doubt it,” he said. “I really do. If I felt like we were getting good news, I’d watch it.”

wildcat09
11-13-2009, 08:27 AM

“I doubt it,” he said. “I really do. If I felt like we were getting good news, I’d watch it.”

yeah ESPN says its between Duke and UNC........stranger things have happened, though

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 08:31 AM

I saw that yesterday. Oh well, come on down Brandon Knight and/or Josh Selby.

BWillie
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
yeah ESPN says its between Duke and UNC........stranger things have happened, though

Iowa State. I'm telling you. I wouldn't be as poed if he went to Iowa State.

wildcat09
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Iowa State. I'm telling you. I wouldn't be as poed if he went to Iowa State.

Yeah I hate Duke

KChiefs1
11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
If Barnes chose ISU it would be hilarious!

wildcat09
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
They just said on ESPN Kansas it still in the hunt

KChiefs1
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/11/13/barnes.choice/

It's going to be one lucky Friday the 13th for some college basketball program.

That's because Harrison Barnes, the 6-foot-7 forward from Ames, Iowa, who is widely considered to be the No. 1 prospect in the senior class, will announce his college choice at 3 p.m. CST on ESPNU.

Barnes's list is down to six schools. They are, in alphabetical order: Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, North Carolina, Oklahoma and UCLA. The question of where Barnes will end up has titillated recruitniks for months now. So I burned up the phone lines on Thursday to see if I could read the tea leaves.

Turns out, it was hard to find the tea leaves, much less read them. Since it is against NCAA rules for coaches to comment on high school players before they sign a National Letter of Intent, I can't tell you whom I spoke with, but here's a sampling of the comments I got from people who had, shall we say, direct knowledge of Barnes's recruitment:

"He's the greatest poker player of all time."

"I have no idea what he's going to do. Nobody does. If anyone tells you they know where he's going, they're guessing."

"I've never seen a situation where a family kept things this close to the vest. I'm going to find out the same way you are."

So, there you have it: Nobody knows anything. But I did glean some bits of conventional wisdom I can pass along. For starters, Duke and North Carolina seem to be the front-runners. They're both elite programs and great academic institutions, which appeals to Barnes's brainy inclinations. (He's an excellent student with designs on being a titan in business when he's through playing.) Duke has an "in" because Kyrie Irving, the guard from New Jersey who committed to the Blue Devils last month, is close friends with Barnes. I heard they call each other "brothers." North Carolina, however, has a similar asset in Kendall Marshall, a 6-4 point guard from Virginia who has committed to North Carolina and who is also super-tight with Barnes.

Even so, no one I spoke with really believes those relationships will carry much weight. "He's going to do what's best for him and nobody else," one person said. "He's a different kind of kid."

Moving down the list, I'd say the people at Kansas are very pessimistic, while the folks at UCLA appear to be overly optimistic. "UCLA thinks it's between them and Duke," one source said. Oklahoma has done well to hang in this long, but if Barnes puts on a Sooners cap today, that would be the biggest shock of all.

Then there's Iowa State, which is hoping against hope that Barnes will turn down all those storied programs and opt to stay at home. Barnes's mother is a receptionist in Iowa State's music department, and she and Barnes's sister, who is in fifth grade, have been at every game he has played in the last three years. Barnes is also high school teammates with the son of Cyclones coach Greg McDermott.

Still, Barnes has made no secret that he wants to win a championship, and that won't happen at Iowa State. So it looks like this has come down to what so much in college hoops comes down to: Duke versus North Carolina.

On the one hand, Barnes's mother has always been a huge Carolina fan. She taped Michael Jordan's games when he played, and she gave both Harrison and his younger sister the middle name of Jordan in honor of His Airness. MJ is Barnes's hero, too, so you can imagine the impression it made when he met Jordan on his visit to Chapel Hill. And unlike Duke, North Carolina has a top-flight business school for undergraduates.

On the other hand, Harrison has shown a deep affinity for Duke and especially Mike Krzyzewski. On top of his official visit to Durham, Barnes also took three unofficial visits to Duke, each time showing up in Duke gear. He also wore a Duke shirt during Krzyzewski's home visit to Ames. He is a serious, grounded kid whose game and personality has evoked comparisons to Shane Battier. Though he has the talent to potentially leave for the NBA after his freshman season, Barnes has spoken of staying in school long enough to make good progress toward earning his degree.

One person I spoke with described Harrison's mindset thusly: "He's very confident, even arrogant. It's the kind of arrogance that makes you think of Duke, and I mean that in a good way. I could see him thinking, 'The guy who coaches Kobe [at the Olympics] coaches me. The guy who coaches LeBron coaches me."

Early this summer, the buzz on the recruiting circuit held that Duke was the school to beat, but one person I spoke with believes the fact that Barnes has gone this long without making a decision is a bad sign for the Blue Devils. "I thought Coach K had it locked up, but the longer this has dragged out, the more I've got a feeling he's leaning towards Carolina," he said. Then again, maybe Barnes is just stringing us along to keep us interested. He even said, at first, that he would wait until the spring signing period to make his choice, but he wisely concluded that that would create too much of a circus. Everyone I spoke with on Thursday expressed some consternation the kid is playing the game this way, but you have to give him credit: He has our full attention. As one source put it, "Sometimes silence is the best marketing."

That silence will finally be broken this afternoon. So where is Barnes going to go to school? Well, I have to answer ... if I really, really have to answer ...

I'll say it's Duke. But I'm guessing.

KChiefs1
11-13-2009, 12:10 PM
http://rushthecourt.net/mag/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/harrison-barnes1.jpg (http://rushthecourt.net/mag/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/harrison-barnes1.jpg)

Iowa State – Never count out the hometown school. ISU is a stone’s throw from Ames High School, and Barnes is undoubtedly familiar with the campus, players and coaches to a degree much more than the others. In fact, his mother works there. Stud inside force Craig Brackins is likely to be in the NBA in 2010-11, but Barnes could potentially be seen as a savior in much the same way Michael Beasley was for the Kansas State program in 2007-08. Similarly, his presence at ISU, even for one season, could impact the recruiting fortunes of the Cyclones for the next five years.
UNC – Roy Williams never lacks for talent, but he could use an elite scoring wing next season to supplement his formidable size inside. The 6′10 freshman John Henson is currently playing that role, so there could be a little bit of an overlap if Henson develops into a very nice player this year and sticks around in 2010-11. Still, Roy has often had multiple Burger Boys at each position, so it wouldn’t shock us if Barnes signs with UNC today and if you’re listening to people around Barnes, MJ (who else?) is his idol.
Duke – Necessity, meet invention. If Duke lands Barnes this afternoon, the Devils will immediately shoot to the top of the 2010-11 ratings. We’ve covered this before (http://rushthecourt.net/2009/10/21/kyrie-irving-to-duke/), but assuming that Kyle Singler sticks around for his senior year, there’s no other team in America who will have the firepower that a lineup of Kyrie Irving, Seth Curry, Harrison Barnes, Kyle Singler and Mason (or Miles) Plumlee could bring to bear. That’s a NASTY lineup, and Barnes is tailor-made for Duke’s system of slashing and shooting. If Barnes is ok with leaving his home state (and we think he is), this is our projection as to where he lands.
UCLA – Ultimately, this choice depends on how much the winters of Ames suck compared to those in Westwood (and we’re pretty sure they do). If Barnes had an unbelievable visit at UCLA, this is a possible choice, but we wouldn’t call it probable. Plus, some of the same issues that UNC has about obvious playing time exist, with the young forward corps of Drew Gordon, Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee likely to return in 2010-11.
Oklahoma - Jeff Capel has been a surpisingly good recruiter thus far as the head coach at Oklahoma, and the mere fact that Barnes is listing OU as a finalist belies that point. With Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, Capel will have had consecutive all-americans who both stayed in school for at least two seasons. And with Tony Crocker entering his senior season, the minutes will be plentiful on the wing should Barnes alight to Norman. Still, we just don’t see it happening. Other than the hometown school, one of these five out-of-state schools isn’t like the others, so it would be a tremendous coup if Capel pulls this one off.
Kansas – Bill Self is clearly hoping that if he loses star freshman wing Xavier Henry after one season, he’ll have Barnes waiting in the wings to replace him in 2010. And it makes sense. Regardless of what happens this year, KU will definitely lose team leader Sherron Collins and probably lose Cole Aldrich inside. The Henry brothers are also possibilities. Just to be clear, Kansas doesn’t re-build, but it would be unreasonable to expect next season to be as rife with possibility as the current one, even with Barnes on board. The minutes will be there if Henry leaves, but Barnes can’t possibly know that now.
Here’s our completely speculative projection of Barnes’ list a mere 2 hours before he unveils his top choice.
Duke - everything makes sense for Barnes there – title contention, PT, academics.
Iowa State – the hometown school is always in play.
UNC - Roy is a master salesman, but how does he explain the Henson situation?

Kansas - Bill Self could be telling him that Henry is likely to leave, therefore the wing is all Barnes all the time.
UCLA - the weather won’t supplant the other issues (minutes, perceived style of play).

Oklahoma – Capel should be happy to have just gotten onto his list.
Keep up with all the Harrison Barnes hype this afternoon here:

Des Moines Register’s page devoted to him (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/harrison-barnes).

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I've never seen a top 5 recruit push the whole "education" thing so much. I'm sure it's important to him - but be realistic - he'll be in the NBA next year.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
"Bill Self could be telling him that Henry is likely to leave, therefore the wing is all Barnes all the time."

:clap:

CoMoChief
11-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I dont see him coming to Kansas.....but damn that would be nice. They may lose a step down low losing Cole, but damn they would still have some kick ass guards.

They could make a good run next year too.

sedated
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
"Bill Self could be telling him that Henry is likely to leave, therefore the wing is all Barnes all the time."

:clap:

link?

sedated
11-13-2009, 02:00 PM
I dont see him coming to Kansas.....but damn that would be nice. They may lose a step down low losing Cole, but damn they would still have some kick ass guards.

They could make a good run next year too.

The Morrises will be back for sure. Withey will be here. Robinson could be be our best forward by the end of this year. He could be a borderline one-and-done. If we get him back, we will be stocked at forward.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 02:04 PM
If anyone wants to watch...

http://www.kcci.com/video/21606613/index.html

sedated
11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
If anyone wants to watch...

http://www.kcci.com/video/21606613/index.html

sweet! rep.

he's really gonna drag this out, isn't he.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
No shit. If he would just take the KU sign down, I'd close out and go home.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 02:12 PM
wow ... he looks like a well-spoken bright young kid.

nice

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
dude, it talking alot ... sounds better than 90% of the other guys you hear.

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Jeebus....just get to the point.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
sounds like he like duke a little better

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 02:15 PM
lol

Mr. Plow
11-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Yup....I'm guessing Duke, but I think it's been that way for awhile.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
fuck ... north carolina POS

you're dead to me

sedated
F**K!

its UNC

irishjayhawk
Not surprised but I will say this. Roy wouldn't have snagged him if he was still at Kansas.

sedated
11-13-2009, 02:17 PM
those UNC fans are going to be even more obnoxious now. if that's even possible.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I hope he breaks his dick taking a piss tonight and ends up with a medical redshirt.

Mr. Plow
Oh well. On with life.

kepp
What a spectacle. It's no wonder most of these kids are prima donnas.

kepp
11-13-2009, 02:19 PM
those UNC fans are going to be even more obnoxious now. if that's even possible.

ROFLROFL ...from a ku fan

KChiefs1
11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Roy Williams beats Duke again...along with KU.

sedated
11-13-2009, 02:21 PM
ROFLROFL ...from a ku fan

ROFLROFL ...from a mu fan.

seriously, spend some time around unc fans. they are unbearable. they think they invented basketball or something.

kepp
11-13-2009, 02:23 PM

seriously, spend some time around unc fans. they are unbearable. they think they invented basketball or something.

I can believe that. I was just struck by the irony.

DaWolf
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Not surprised but I will say this. Roy wouldn't have snagged him if he was still at Kansas.

Yeah, Carolina will always have the east coast media angle and the ACC to draw on. Plus with Jordan and the alumns, and the way Roy works the recruiting trail, it's tough to beat them in a recruiting battle...

sedated
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, Carolina will always have the east coast media angle and the ACC to draw on. Plus with Jordan and the alumns, and the way Roy works the recruiting trail, it's tough to beat them in a recruiting battle...

so it looks like roy can recruit, when he doesn't take years off and completely avoid a third of the country in an attempt to not piss off his old coach.

GOD DAMN I HATE THOSE F**KING ASS MONKEYS

kstater
11-13-2009, 02:31 PM
The butthurt is strong today.

Pants
11-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Honestly, I don't think too many KU fans were expecting HB to commit to us. UNC is the devil, yeah, but whatever...

DaWolf
11-13-2009, 02:37 PM
so it looks like roy can recruit, when he doesn't take years off and completely avoid a third of the country in an attempt to not piss off his old coach.

GOD DAMN I HATE THOSE F**KING ASS MONKEYS

He's got no loyalties to Kansas anymore. It was always about Deano.

Doesn't matter, if Roy didn't land him he would have picked Duke. Roy has become Duke's biggest nightmare. Roy and Carolina are a perfect match, and he probably wins another couple of titles before he's done there. I am 100% good with Self here, as he's the perfect coach for this university, and has no loyalties lying elsewhere...

Spicy McHaggis
11-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Honestly, I don't think too many KU fans were expecting HB to commit to us. UNC is the devil, yeah, but whatever...

True. I never really though Barnes would be at KU. If Self can land Lamb, Selby or Knight, I'll be very, very happy with the way the team looks to be next year.

Pants
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
True. I never really though Barnes would be at KU. If Self can land Lamb, Selby or Knight, I'll be very, very happy with the way the team looks to be next year.

For sure, for sure.

I honestly thought HB was going to Duke, though. Lord knows they NEEDED him, lol. I guess Ol' Roy did a good job on the kid. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of mass suicides coming out of Durham. ROFL

CoMoChief
11-13-2009, 03:22 PM
The Morrises will be back for sure. Withey will be here. Robinson could be be our best forward by the end of this year. He could be a borderline one-and-done. If we get him back, we will be stocked at forward.

I've never see/heard of Withey other than he was an Arizona recruit. So until I guess I see him play....I can make a better opinion.

CoMoChief
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM

you dont know that.....Hinrich and Collison were both from IA.

Terribilis
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
you should hear the duke fans on talk radio here today. they are crushed.

wildcat09
11-13-2009, 04:30 PM

my uncle is one of those obnoxious UNC fans you speak of.......if he calls I am not answering

veist
11-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Its not really butthurt the reaction isn't nearly strong or inappropriate enough to be butthurt, its just the completely normal hate for Roy.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Its not really butthurt the reaction isn't nearly strong or inappropriate enough to be butthurt, its just the completely normal hate for Roy.
dam straight ... i hope a tactical nuke drops right on top of Deputy Dawgs head while he's giving his daily fellatio to Dean.

Skip Towne
11-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Yet their arena is named after a KU grad.