PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mission: Eight Is Enough.

Micjones
11-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Here's what I think the Chiefs must accomplish over the second half of the regular season to set themselves up nicely for 2010.

1. Scouting: Long-Term,
The Chiefs coaching staff must give significant playing time to younger players like Darryl Harris, Corey Mays, Quinten Lawrence, Kolby Smith, Lance Long, Wallace Gilberry, DaJuan Morgan, Jovan Belcher, Barry Richardson and Pierre Walters to determine if they can be future pieces of the puzzle. It's also necessary to determine what roles they will play.

2. Scouting: Short-Term,
The Chiefs coaching staff must also determine how slightly older players figure in going forward (e.g. Wade, Chambers, Edwards, Williams, Daniels, Alleman, Ndukwe, O'Callaghan). Many of these players will have value to this football team as depth. We saw first-hand how discarding a couple of valuable backups made a difference this season.

3. Developing: The Offense,
Todd Haley must help this offense establish an identity before next season. Down the stretch he needs to have some consistency with his offensive philosophy and with the playcalling. Find out if this team is to be a "run first", a "pass first" or a balanced offense. More importantly, the playcalling should be reflective of that mindset. It's also important that he take off the offensive training wheels and work towards more creating more big plays. Lastly, this is an 8-game audition for him to prove that he should retain his position as the OC next year. If he cannot produce more offensive success at least with a better idea of what he wants to offensively...he can pass that on to his replacement. Pioli needs to put pressure on him to find a suitable replacement if he cannot effectively do the job.

4. Scouting: The Defensive Staff,
Todd Haley must also determine if he's on the right track with his current assortment of defensive coaches. Krumrie may very well be stealing a paycheck from this organization. It's Haley's job to pay very close attention to how well his defensive line plays over the last 8 games. Help may become available in the off-season and he'll be better off identifying coaches/assistants if he knows exactly where he needs that help.

5. Developing: The QB,
Todd Haley needs to give Matt Cassel an opportunity to sink or swim on his own terms. It's time he take him off the leash and allow him to throw the ball downfield. He's being paid to play like a big-time NFL QB. If he can't...we need to know that now. Give him a chance to succeed and build some confidence going into next year. Or when he falters...bring in a good #2 option to push him during the off-season.

6. Developing: The Coach,
Todd Haley needs to do some serious soul-searching to determine a better course for his Head Coaching tenure here in Kansas City. He has to learn how to utilize his fire more effectively without burning up his message or intent. Haley must find a better way to connect with the players on an individual basis and learn what strategies work with certain players. His "one size fits all" approach to coaching may not be best for the team going forward. Haley also needs to "know his ledge" and determine what he can handle and what he must delegate to other members of his staff. Mismanaging his workload hurts this team.

CaliforniaChief
11-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Good stuff Mic!

I'm particularly interested to see how Haley adjusts his style. He'll always be a screamer, but I've noticed that he's calmed down just a little lately. I think he'll be fine, but he definitely has some growing to do in the job.

I do wonder how we'll keep Cassel safe without Larry the Pass Blocker back there, though.

Deberg_1990
11-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Thread title is misleading...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQK9rKL5WeY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQK9rKL5WeY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Micjones
11-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Good stuff Mic!

I'm particularly interested to see how Haley adjusts his style. He'll always be a screamer, but I've noticed that he's calmed down just a little lately. I think he'll be fine, but he definitely has some growing to do in the job.

I do wonder how we'll keep Cassel safe without Larry the Pass Blocker back there, though.

As long as Haley knows WHEN to use the fire he'll be fine.
If he uses it indiscriminately players will eventually just tune him out.

Demonpenz
11-13-2009, 10:55 AM
First things first. PROTECT CASSELL

suds79
11-13-2009, 10:59 AM
How I don't hear more talk on here or on the radio about evaluating the job Offensive Line coach Bill Muir is doing is beyond me.

Nobody has gotten better under him from what I've seen.

He should have been gone yesterday.

MahiMike
11-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Good points. Rep.

Hog Farmer
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM
You actually have any hope for a coach that goes for a 4th and two on his own 40 in the first half of a ball game.

You're delerious!

talastan
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Main priority for 2010: Fortify the Cassel!!

Micjones
11-13-2009, 11:45 AM
You actually have any hope for a coach that goes for a 4th and two on his own 40 in the first half of a ball game.

You're delerious!

He's a rookie HC. I'm willing to be a little patient with the guy.